Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno, I've always felt it was pretty counter-intuitive to have a white mage and reflect, because then what if you need to heal on the fly? Not a lot of items to really heal that much.

The healers get Reflect-Null, which has a Wild Arms 2-level description but actually means that all their healing and support spells ignore reflect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Madmarker posted:

You forgot the fact Garnet summons a AWESOME transformer. That is enough reason to use her by itself.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ZY3wubL4
There needs to be a Final Fantasy that's just Giant Transforming Mechas doing Giant Transforming Things.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Alexander is still the king of giant transforming mechas. Watching him die in IX was horrifying. :smith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Doesn't every Final Fantasy claim to be a throwback game?

Not even a little. IX and XIV are the only two.

Forbidden lesbian, you should definitely play FFVII. As a Lain fan, you'll enjoy the mindfuck.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Pro tip, Alexander is in the running for Top 3 best Final Fantasy summons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

There needs to be a Final Fantasy that's just Giant Transforming Mechas doing Giant Transforming Things.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who wants some Final Fantasy 15 cam video?

Exploration, start at 6:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62e1tbihcaQ&feature=youtu.be

Fishing and Airships:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9i2IFTbpg&feature=youtu.be

Tech demo stuff, start at 1:35:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDTimeOmNc

Edit: Also Square is streaming in about 7 hours from now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZ3hHVvkLE

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 31, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Maybe this game will be above mediocre after all.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who wants some Final Fantasy 15 cam video?

Exploration, start at 6:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62e1tbihcaQ&feature=youtu.be

Fishing and Airships:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9i2IFTbpg&feature=youtu.be

Tech demo stuff, start at 1:35:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDTimeOmNc

Final Felderscrolls XV will take some getting used to... but it sure looks nice.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

The White Dragon posted:

The healers get Reflect-Null, which has a Wild Arms 2-level description but actually means that all their healing and support spells ignore reflect.

What.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Gologle posted:

Maybe this game will be above mediocre after all.

I'm actually really hyped for this game. Shame on me, I guess. I wasn't really all that hyped for a FF game since 10 though so I haven't had been let down very much.

Momomo posted:

Latin isn't really foreign enough, I think, considering you can understand so many of the names at a glance.

You might have a point there. But then again, I'm sure that a lot of Japanese guys see "Kuraudo" and know that it means "Cloud", but it still sounds weird to them because it's a foreign word.

I dunno, I might just have stupid-name-immunity after years of playing Japanese games. The only ones that really don't gel with me are the super normal sounding ones that just sound off enough to be dumb, like "Edge Maverick" from SO4. I'd much rather that guy be named some crazy poo poo then goddamn "Edge Maverick".

Schwartzcough posted:

Final Felderscrolls XV will take some getting used to... but it sure looks nice.

I'm still not sold on how huge the game is gonna be...like is it really gonna be like Elder Scrolls level of huge? I mean, I just don't see how that fits with a FF game...like a huge world like that, plus a normal FF-esque story? Maybe it could work, but I'm not so sure yet.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mischitary posted:

I dunno, I might just have stupid-name-immunity after years of playing Japanese games. The only ones that really don't gel with me are the super normal sounding ones that just sound off enough to be dumb, like "Edge Maverick" from SO4. I'd much rather that guy be named some crazy poo poo then goddamn "Edge Maverick".

I think it might be because you're not spelling it correctly. The guy's name is EDGE MAVERICK.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

Wait, seriously :psyduck:? I've played through it so many times and never even thought of equipping that and I kind of just hoped that everyone would not die before I killed the enemies.

Mischitary posted:

I'm still not sold on how huge the game is gonna be...like is it really gonna be like Elder Scrolls level of huge? I mean, I just don't see how that fits with a FF game...like a huge world like that, plus a normal FF-esque story? Maybe it could work, but I'm not so sure yet.

Maybe it'll be like in the pre-PS2 FF games, where there is a huge map but you only explore a chunk of it at a time and it doesn't open up until later? I have no idea since I'm phoneposting and don't want to watch videos until I get home.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Wait, seriously :psyduck:? I've played through it so many times and never even thought of equipping that and I kind of just hoped that everyone would not die before I killed the enemies.

To be fair, there are plenty of ways to kill enemies without reflect, as by the time you have it (as far as I can remember, anyway), you probably technically have access to the weapons that have Half MP and a bunch of Vivi's stronger spells.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

What the gently caress? That's silly.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

What the gently caress? That's silly.

I mean, the name of it is "Reflect-Null" and the description is "Nullifies Reflect and attacks". It's certainly far from the best phrasing, but it isn't that hard to experiment with it and make sure it does one of the like two things it could possibly do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's not why it's silly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mischitary posted:

So far almost everything they've shown off has been from this one giant field area, which probably has the goblin cave attached to it. (Since they've said the demo is going to cover an area where you can drive down the road pretty quickly, or explore and find a cave, I think it's safe to assume this is the same area we'll see in the demo). And the area is clearly pretty freakin' huge. Now, it could be a one-off thing like Pulse from XIII, I guess, but if this is a representative map of which there will be many in the game, that'll be a lot of ground to cover. Guess we'll just have to see.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Reminder that this is an hour from now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Every party member in FFXV seems out of shape haha.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Beef Waifu posted:

That's not why it's silly.

If allowing your healers to heal through Reflect sounds silly, maybe it'll help to remind that Dagger learns some status spells (Confuse, Silence) and Eiko learns Holy, so there are offensive purposes for the ability.

Also I believe Vivi learns it as well.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I'm watching this FFXV video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJIjpl-vqlA and getting huge Xenoblade vibes. The world looks stunningly huge. I hope it delivers but I find myself getting less cautious and more optimistic the more I see. Tabata might have been a real good choice to helm this game.

EDIT: Or poo poo, Skyrim or Fallout vibes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJIjpl-vqlA&t=215s wandering across shacks in the woods and stuff. I really want to play this game.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 31, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Levantine posted:

Ok, I'm watching this FFXV video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJIjpl-vqlA and getting huge Xenoblade vibes. The world looks stunningly huge. I hope it delivers but I find myself getting less cautious and more optimistic the more I see. Tabata might have been a real good choice to helm this game.

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Xenoblade may not have been a huge commercial success, but it had fantastic critical reception and obviously did well enough for Nintendo to agree to a sequel of sorts. Xenoblade was basically Monolith Soft looking at FFXII and going "This could be better" and delivering on it, so it's not surprising for S-E to look at the critical success of that and decide that if they applied that kind of design to Final Fantasy that they could also have something just as good.

I'm still way more hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles X though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm now super pumped for both FF XV and XC X, Japanese RPG developers embracing open world stuff is something I've wanted for years. Now if only they would let me make my own main character as well. :argh:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm now super pumped for both FF XV and XC X, Japanese RPG developers embracing open world stuff is something I've wanted for years. Now if only they would let me make my own main character as well. :argh:

You do make your own character in XCX.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Levantine posted:

EDIT: Or poo poo, Skyrim or Fallout vibes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJIjpl-vqlA&t=215s wandering across shacks in the woods and stuff. I really want to play this game.

Probably Skyrim vibes. Just about every AAA RPG developer is citing Skyrim as an influence, such as Monolith Soft, Bioware, and CDProjekt Red. You don't get to 20 million+ sales without people noticing you.

It's strange that they spent so much time showing off Luminous Studios' graphical features and editing tools with behind the scenes footage. It gives the impression they heard the bad press around Luminous after Kingdom Hearts 3 moved to Unreal Engine 4 and wanted to clear the air. It wouldn't be the first time Tabata directly addressed concerns about FFXV.

However, we already knew about Luminous Studios' feature set. There's a lot more to an engine than just stringing together assets made in Maya and adding effects. Remember Crystal Tools?

The most likely reason KH3 moved to UE4 was that Luminous engine's workflow wasn't good enough and the Luminous team was integrated into the FFXV development team to get the FFXV out the door. With UE4, the KH3 team can prototype with minimal programming assistance and work with Epic Games' new office in Tokyo for technical support. It's not an ideal solution but it's better than splitting the Luminous team's attention, especially since they are located on-site for the game development team in Tokyo. With the KH3 team located in Osaka, they would need teleconferences and off-site networking to help the KH3 team in Osaka.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

You do make your own character in XCX.

That was just bumped up over FF XV then, especially if I don't have to be a dude.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That was just bumped up over FF XV then, especially if I don't have to be a dude.

You don't. However, you also don't talk.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Xenoblade is the best RPG of last generation, everyone posting here who have yet to play it: you're doing it wrong.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Terper posted:

You don't. However, you also don't talk.
This is only bad if your character doesn't have dialogue options. Nothing takes me out of a game more than when characters respond to a mute PC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

If allowing your healers to heal through Reflect sounds silly, maybe it'll help to remind that Dagger learns some status spells (Confuse, Silence) and Eiko learns Holy, so there are offensive purposes for the ability.

Also I believe Vivi learns it as well.

It's a personal issue I have. Like, making certain abilities ignore the reflect while others are effected by it is something that makes reflect as a move incredibly broken rather than something that can work for and against you. It's something that strikes me as making a move less of a risk to use and basically "Why would you not use this all of the time the second you get it?" I mean, it's always been a thing that certain abilities can ignore it, but usually those are high-level spells that you don't get until like end-game. Making it so there's effectively no risk to using it on your team is incredibly silly.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
^^^ I agree with all of this. Reflect-Null is dumb and breaks one of the more interesting spells in the game.

Crap, I'm slowly becoming cautiously optimistic about 15. SE, don't do this to me again...

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 31, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

It's a personal issue I have. Like, making certain abilities ignore the reflect while others are effected by it is something that makes reflect as a move incredibly broken rather than something that can work for and against you. It's something that strikes me as making a move less of a risk to use and basically "Why would you not use this all of the time the second you get it?" I mean, it's always been a thing that certain abilities can ignore it, but usually those are high-level spells that you don't get until like end-game. Making it so there's effectively no risk to using it on your team is incredibly silly.

Well, the actual ability takes up a decent chunk of your ability point allocation, especially because as far as I remember, Dagger and Vivi get fewer points than other people, generally. Plus, I think the accessories you learn it from are pretty late-game, unless you're doing every single chocograph hunt, and if you're doing that, you're going to be well overpowered anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

morallyobjected posted:

Well, the actual ability takes up a decent chunk of your ability point allocation, especially because as far as I remember, Dagger and Vivi get fewer points than other people, generally. Plus, I think the accessories you learn it from are pretty late-game, unless you're doing every single chocograph hunt, and if you're doing that, you're going to be well overpowered anyway.

You can actually get the Stardust Rod which has it as a learnable ability as early as the fight with Zorn and Thorn in Alexandria on like Disc 2, if I recall correctly. It also costs some insignificant amount of AP to learn which makes it easy to learn in pretty much no time at all. Even if it does take up a good portion of AP it still is insanely strong for what the game allows of you with it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

You can actually get the Stardust Rod which has it as a learnable ability as early as the fight with Zorn and Thorn in Alexandria on like Disc 2, if I recall correctly. It also costs some insignificant amount of AP to learn which makes it easy to learn in pretty much no time at all. Even if it does take up a good portion of AP it still is insanely strong for what the game allows of you with it.

The Stardust Rod has reflect, but Reflect-Null is only on the Robe of Lords or the Pearl Rouge, which I think are Disc 3 material. Maybe late Disc 2? It's been a while.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

morallyobjected posted:

The Stardust Rod has reflect, but Reflect-Null is only on the Robe of Lords or the Pearl Rouge, which I think are Disc 3 material. Maybe late Disc 2? It's been a while.

Robe of Lords is technically available as soon as the Chocobo Hot & Cold rewards are unlocked, but you really have to be nuts to grind that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reflect Null can be gotten from the auction house on Disk 2.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I need to play this. And Xenblade. Maybe Xenosaga, but I don't know anything about those games.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Reflect Null can be gotten from the auction house on Disk 2.

Right. It is on the Reflect Ring.

I like the auction house in both VI and IX. I wish that they would add it to more games in the FF series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Honestly, status effects last such a short time in FFIX, and so many attacks are not affected by Reflect, that the move is far from overpowered (to the point where I can rarely see a point in using it at all). Combined with how many ability jewels Reflect-Null requires, I'd almost say the combo is virtually worthless.

Of course you could equip Auto-Reflect on everyone, but THAT requires a ton of jewels from your entire team, so... again, meh.