Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My Blaupunkt head unit is in transit, ETA of Wednesday. Looking forward to upgrading my poo poo.

I took my old Kenwood ham radio unit out to the car and it looks just right sitting top and center on the dash. Are there any 12V lines in the A-pillars of these things that I could tap into? I'm thinking of throwing some of that 3M dual lock on to mount the radio, then run the power and antenna cables over to the A-pillar, tap into power there if possible and then run the antenna wire out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Unless you pop it out of the bezel and hotwire it.

CannonFodder posted:

Or they get the owners manual out and it has the code for the door keypad, which can also open the trunk.

That's assuming the idiot crackheads that broke into it are smart enough to do that.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
The educated crackhead would just punch out a reverse light and pull the emergency trunk release from the outside.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The educated crackhead would just punch out a reverse light and pull the emergency trunk release from the outside.

Around here they would just punch through the exterior lock.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Old and busted:

New hotness:

Sorry for the potato-quality picture there.

It actually looks really good and blends in quite well! Bluetooth streaming works and if you press the arrows, it skips to the next song. Phone calls work too.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Pham Nuwen posted:

New hotness:

Sorry for the potato-quality picture there.

It actually looks really good and blends in quite well! Bluetooth streaming works and if you press the arrows, it skips to the next song. Phone calls work too.

It's amazing how stock that looks. That's awesome!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
So if I was looking for a rebuilt transmission for a 2003 CVPI, where would I even start?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Winson_Paine posted:

So if I was looking for a rebuilt transmission for a 2003 CVPI, where would I even start?

If you don't mind going used you can use http://www.car-part.com/ to do an initial search to get an idea of what prices are like and what junkyards are in your area.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone have any experience with a Dorman LCM bypass?

I've dealt with Panther LCMs before, so I know my other options--I'm specifically asking about the bypass.

EDIT: Never mind. As a friend reminded me, Ford issued a recall notice on part several months ago.

Sunshine Mix fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I just pulled the radio out of my 2008 Grand Marquis and put in a JVC digital media player head unit.

Where would be the easiest place to sell it? Ebay has a couple up for 99 bucks, just curious if that would be the best place to put it up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well sheeeeiiiiiit, I went to start the CV and it was completely dead. I grabbed the multimeter and saw 0V across the battery and 0 ohms from + terminal to ground. Tomorrow: the debuggening.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
These aren't exactly Panther cars, but I felt like putting them in this thread anyway.

1955 Crown Victoria, Skyliner with tinted glass top, 272 CID V8, auto

1956 Crown Victoria, 312 CID T-Bird engine, 3 speed auto

I took these photos at the Russells truck stop on I-40 near the New Mexico / Texas border. They have a small car museum with like 15 cars, ranging from Model A to 700 horsepower new Dodge Challenger to 2 horsepower John Deere chuckwagon.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Recently helped replace the fan speed control module in a 2000 Grand Marquis. Symptoms were no fan speeds whatsoever, just completely dead. If you had the A/C on and you went fast enough you could actually feel the A/C though! This car has the automatic climate control. It was a pain in the rear end, just in a really bad spot. Here's some other guy dealing with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFq2mvfSBdk

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Today I learned two things!

Top speed is 130mph and you can set the cruise control there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why the gently caress are you doing 130 on underinflated tires?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Fucknag posted:

Why the gently caress are you doing 130 on underinflated tires?

I live my life on the edge, cruise control at 130mph snapchatting.

One of my TPMS sensors is dead. I still have the correct cop tires and all were at 46psi hot every time I stopped for gas.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Isnt it a little overkill to check your tires every three blocks?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

:downsrim:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I made it from tucson to austin door to door in under 12hrs including a sit down stop for lunch at taco cabana and 4 gas/bathroom stops. 910miles. Avg 76mph with those stops and still got a hair over 20mpg. That's pretty good I think.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Holdbrooks posted:

Today I learned two things!

Top speed is 130mph and you can set the cruise control there.

Was it bouncing off 130mph/5500rpms? If so, could be electronically limited, and changeable with a tuner. Although the driveshaft isn't rated for much more than that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

That implies hitting 130 in three blocks, and I love my boat and I know it doesn't accelerate like that.

Holdbrooks posted:

I made it from tucson to austin door to door in under 12hrs including a sit down stop for lunch at taco cabana and 4 gas/bathroom stops. 910miles. Avg 76mph with those stops and still got a hair over 20mpg. That's pretty good I think.
That's impressive. It also includes a border check near Van Horn (I'm guessing you took I-10 because I don't trust US highways in Texas, every 15 miles there's a podunk town with a 35-40 mph limit) and it gets hilly in a beautiful way somewhere before San Antonio.

And I still haven't been to Taco Cabana. I did go to a Taco Casa once :stare:

OH hey pictures.

I'm the MGM that showed up to a Town Car party. I saw the space open and went in thinking "I wanna take a picture of this"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 1, 2014

Smokey Blue
Jun 18, 2005

Domo arigato Mr. Anubis
I'm looking at older Crown Vics and came across this one:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4805419168.html

Anything I should look out for in particular? From what I've read the odometers failing is a somewhat common problem. I'm looking for a cheap and comfy commuter car that I can have some fun tinkering with.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Smokey Blue posted:

I'm looking at older Crown Vics and came across this one:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4805419168.html

Anything I should look out for in particular? From what I've read the odometers failing is a somewhat common problem. I'm looking for a cheap and comfy commuter car that I can have some fun tinkering with.

Google "crown victoria TV cable grommet", there's a common problem where this grommet wears out and your transmission quickly destroys itself. If the cable seems to be intact on this car, I'd say it looks pretty drat nice. I can mail you a brass replacement grommet too, I think I have a bag of 5 or so.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I got new tires put on today but was in a time crunch before work and didn't go and so a massive burnout on the old one first. I have made a huge mistake.

Ant the reason my Tpms light is on might be the busted sensor the "found" bouncing around in the tire. We shal see when I get a new one. They did at least say that they will dismount the tires and install the new one for free.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
In my '00 Grand Ma, it seems when the engine is frozen in these cold northeast temps (or the issue is just getting worse as time moves along) that the idle, in drive with brakes on, isn't smooth, but drops down and shakes the car and is like I put in some sort of really lumpy cam. If I pop it into park or neutral, a high idle takes over and it smooths out.

Haven't really looked it up yet since I haven't been bothered, but I figure I'd check here since you guys know all the common issues already.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Does it smooth out after getting up to temp? I just guessing that maybe the fluid in the torque converter my be thick in the cold and bogging the engine Down a bit. Idk I don't do cold weather much in AZ

Or that if it is sticking in the cold VVV

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 12, 2015

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
My bet would be the Idle Air Control Valve.

E: You could try cleaning it with some throttle body spray but they're only $40 to replace

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 12, 2015

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Question about my 98 Grand marquis. Been in our family since it was new, only has about 88,000 miles.

I had the car a few years back, then sold it to my sister for my niece to drive. She drove it a while then finally the plastic intake gave up, and exploded. My sister had the intake redone, but when she got it back, car had a rough idle.
She thought the original shop had screwed her, so she took it to a new shop. They said old shop didn't put in new injector o rings, they did that and sent her on her way.

She gets the car home and it dumps all it's antifreeze on the drive. Long story short, both shops play finger pointed game about fault, and she gets fed up and dumps the car back to me.

Now car idles like poo poo, and dumps antifreeze in the drive. I figure just needs a new intake with a proper install. I do that with a Dorman intake. Car runs fine, dumps all it's antifreeze on the drive.

Now, the car has the HPP option, but I don't think that means it has PI heads.

It only dumps antifreeze when you fill the system to the top, it stops leaking, but still retains enough to stay cool in reasonable weather, not sure about Summer.
Thinking I might try to re-torque the manifold bolts to see of that cure the antifreeze issue. When it originally blew the intake, no telling how far it was driven. My niece says not far, but I wonder if it has a warped head or something stupid.

Any opinions?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

City17 posted:

When it originally blew the intake, no telling how far it was driven. My niece says not far, but I wonder if it has a warped head or something stupid.

Family or not, all previous owners are always liars all the time. It's pretty safe to assume she drove it 10k+ like that.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Holdbrooks posted:

Does it smooth out after getting up to temp? I just guessing that maybe the fluid in the torque converter my be thick in the cold and bogging the engine Down a bit. Idk I don't do cold weather much in AZ

Or that if it is sticking in the cold VVV
Certainly possible. I think I'm overdue for a trans fluid flush since in OD when doing like 40-45 it'll judder and such, and if I'm in stop and go traffic for more than a few minutes the flashing OD light will kick in.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I've been kicking around a highway cruiser since my 06 Sonata is good enough, but boring. WELP.

Has anyone done or seen a good write-up of supercharging an 03+ MGM? Unless it would absolutely kill the fuel economy , I'd be a fool not to give in, since having a fast car that I own instead of financed is just smart. Besides, what can beat split benches and arm rests for the driver? :getin:

That said, these seem to be very fun and all about tail happiness even stock - and of course comfortable as hell. Do you ever really wish it was faster, or is the grandpa car factor part of the fun?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Space Whale posted:

I've been kicking around a highway cruiser since my 06 Sonata is good enough, but boring. WELP.

Has anyone done or seen a good write-up of supercharging an 03+ MGM? Unless it would absolutely kill the fuel economy , I'd be a fool not to give in, since having a fast car that I own instead of financed is just smart. Besides, what can beat split benches and arm rests for the driver? :getin:

That said, these seem to be very fun and all about tail happiness even stock - and of course comfortable as hell. Do you ever really wish it was faster, or is the grandpa car factor part of the fun?
I know that the 03+ suspension is a good bit different, but my '00 doesn't like to be driven fast. The suspension is mush, the tires roll around, and in spite of having big discs with twin pot calipers up front you're still trying to slow down two tons of car.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

I know that the 03+ suspension is a good bit different, but my '00 doesn't like to be driven fast. The suspension is mush, the tires roll around, and in spite of having big discs with twin pot calipers up front you're still trying to slow down two tons of car.

Hawk/EBC and some good rubber :getin: Lots of similarly heavy cars will stop at least a few times, and if you spring for good pads it won't heat fade unless you're pulling stupid high speeds or repeatedly stopping.

I just want to know if it's not bank breaking or a custom job to put on a good supercharger. I'd like a twin screw but if that's too $$$ or requires hood notching I'd just as soon get a high(er) stall torque converter and a centrifugal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

metallicaeg posted:

I think it was Matt Farah or maybe Mike Musto on the Smoking Tire podcast recently compared a late-model Panther to a modernized rebuild of a muscle car as far as suspension and handling, and I think it's a reasonable comparison. It's using a lot of modern parts and doing things as right as they can be, but in the end it's still a body-on-frame platform that dates to the '70s. That's not to say it's necessarily bad when set up right, but it'll never compare to a modern unibody car with reasonably sane suspension.

I grew up driving trucks, my '93 CVPI was my first actual car, so to me it handled great but that's a matter of where my standards were calibrated at the time. Compared to an F-150 or a Ranger most cars handle pretty decently.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The '03+ actually handles pretty well. It's still huge, but you can throw it around a lot more than the older version, in cop spec at least -- the Mercury is probably a lot squishier. I'd go with a Marauder or Interceptor/sport-package Crown Vic if I was going to add power, the regular MGM's a couch on wheels.

Edit: Comedy option: Might as well go all the way and put the blower and P71 springs on a Lincoln Town Car. I assume you already have the car, though. Might want to look into getting the springs off a junkyard cop car, whatever the case. And you'll definitely want a certain driveshaft -- I forget the exact years/models it was used on, but the '03 cop car was the last that had the good one.

Space Whale posted:

I just want to know if it's not bank breaking or a custom job to put on a good supercharger. I'd like a twin screw but if that's too $$$ or requires hood notching I'd just as soon get a high(er) stall torque converter and a centrifugal.
It's the 4.6L, go-fast parts are cheap and plentiful because of Mustangs (as opposed to the 302/5.0 in the older ones, which was a special low-po version that not all the Mustang parts fit).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 14, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I was worried about accessories or hood/strut tower clearances. If it's literally the same... :woop:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: Comedy option: Might as well go all the way and put the blower and P71 springs on a Lincoln Town Car.

No bullshit, I've been thinking about something like this recently. CVPI suspension and a set of Flowmasters would be pretty drat cool.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I've watched guys put turbos, superchargers and nitrous in Marauders, and your drive train might need attention with a twin screw on a 03 MGM. I would recommend a forged crankshaft and/or 31 spline rear diff if you want to start climbing towards 500hp. I bet you could peel off the tires real nice with a single screw, and not break the bank either.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I've watched guys put turbos, superchargers and nitrous in Marauders, and your drive train might need attention with a twin screw on a 03 MGM. I would recommend a forged crankshaft and/or 31 spline rear diff if you want to start climbing towards 500hp. I bet you could peel off the tires real nice with a single screw, and not break the bank either.

I wouldn't push that far. My focus is "couch" with "fast in straight line" as a second priority. Obviously I don't want a wallowing mess that can't stop or take an on ramp over 70 without leaning so far it scrapes the pavement, but still. Cheeky poo poo, maybe a trip to the drag strip, and lounging with cruise control on stuffing my goony face is what I had in mind here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I can't remember, but I think even just a simple tune were you can get a little aggressive with the timing and fuel rates will yield a few HP, but remember your going to start going into premium fuel territory. Less restrictive exhaust is the first upgrade id do.