Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

dude has a pretty strange self-image...

All the best artists are unfit for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I just played through the first Masked Lumen Sage fight. It was awesome and I am now officially hooked. I'm really hoping we don't have another "No More Heroes 2" situation here where a great 3rd party game produces low sales on the Wii U. I really love this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spittin Wheelie posted:

I just played through the first Masked Lumen Sage fight. It was awesome and I am now officially hooked. I'm really hoping we don't have another "No More Heroes 2" situation here where a great 3rd party game produces low sales on the Wii U. I really love this game.

It's a platinum games, it was set to fail the second it was announced.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It sold poorly in Japan but there hasn't been any word on international sales if you want to cling to some glimmer of hope or whatever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kamiya stands up for what he believes in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not having any upgrades for your weapons made me realize how lovely that mechanic is. I don't want to use anything but my super sword after I've poured millions of funbux into it, but there's pretty much nothing keeping you from swapping weapons whenever you want in Bayonetta.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That was actually the very first thing that struck me: Loki has no glasses ! :(

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
He has goggles which are a type of glasses. Same as Jeanne.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Kamiya stands up for what he believes in.

Instead he put glasses on everyone.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

But.... Bayonetta doesn't even wear underwear......

I am having a tough time with Witch Trial III. Specifically, the room with the two Pains. It's so hard to tell when they are attacking since they jumble together. I lose so much health in that room that even if I win and keep going, eventually I die from making just a couple more mistakes down the line.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I'm at the stage where I can pure platinum the two first verses of Witch Trial 5 and then I die before doing anything meaningful in the third. poo poo's tough.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

holy gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Got all-plats on 2nd Climax (trophies, I mean, not Pure Platinum, that would just be crazy). Waaay easier than the first game, partly because of the lack of gimmick chapters but also because I suspect the game in general is just not as difficult as the first. I mean, Grace and Glory are treated as final-run baddies in this run and they were as numerous as termites in the first. Hated those guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Got all-plats on 2nd Climax (trophies, I mean, not Pure Platinum, that would just be crazy). Waaay easier than the first game, partly because of the lack of gimmick chapters but also because I suspect the game in general is just not as difficult as the first. I mean, Grace and Glory are treated as final-run baddies in this run and they were as numerous as termites in the first. Hated those guys.

I'm not sure it is easier so much as it has less bullshit. That is the big thing I noticed playing Bayo1 after Bayo2. The 'hardest' parts are more just kinda awkwardly designed.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure it is easier so much as it has less bullshit. That is the big thing I noticed playing Bayo1 after Bayo2. The 'hardest' parts are more just kinda awkwardly designed.

I think enemies might do slightly less damage on average, and even if they don't you're probably going to have more health because Muspelheims are easier to find and complete than Alfheims so you'll probably have more witch heart pieces. Also, it looks like falling off of most ledges doesn't do any damage (not all of them though).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A hero amongst men.

Spergatory posted:

Well, poo poo. I know it seems spergy (username), but I've always defended this series on the basis of "No rapey stuff" and now that I know there is, in fact, rapey stuff, I can't in good conscience defend or support it anymore. I know it's only that one time, but that's still too many. :(

Meh. So, it's fine to have Leon Kennedy's face melted off or chainsaw decapitations, a wooden horse sexual torture device execution attack? I mean, you could take it as a rape innuendo but why does that form of violence bother you more than any of the other ones? I mean, yeah, it's pretty tasteless in general, but you could easily see it as somebody being punched so hard all their clothes fall off which is also a common gag with examples as far flung as Peanuts. You could say it's making light of sexual assault, but that's somehow worse than making light of any kind of violence?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I could be misremembering, but I don't think Bayonetta 1 had a sort of second chance mechanic where if you have more than 1 health left any attack will leave you at 1, whereas Bayonetta 2 does (or I've just been super lucky).

Also Hideki Kamiya is the raddest man cherry boy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

A hero amongst men.

Meh. So, it's fine to have Leon Kennedy's face melted off or chainsaw decapitations, a wooden horse sexual torture device execution attack? I mean, you could take it as a rape innuendo but why does that form of violence bother you more than any of the other ones? I mean, yeah, it's pretty tasteless in general, but you could easily see it as somebody being punched so hard all their clothes fall off which is also a common gag with examples as far flung as Peanuts. You could say it's making light of sexual assault, but that's somehow worse than making light of any kind of violence?

Very few people are going to have their faces melted off or be decapitated by chainsaws. Rape is both a far more common problem and, more significantly, is one which is often undervalued or made light of in a way which causes people to (intentionally or unintentionally) cause extra suffering to the victims of it.

I mean I get what you're saying but there is a real serious difference in how rape is treated vs other forms of violence and that is a big part of why making light of it, using it as a joke, or even just using it poorly tends to get people riled up. There's also a significantly higher chance that someone (male or female) who is a rape survivor is going to encounter a poor and upsetting rape joke while there are relatively few people who are survivors of chainsaw attacks.

There are other situations where people are legitimately uncomfortable with certain things in games. A friend of mine won't play war games due to a bad personal experience. However they generally can avoid that by not playing military shooters while a poorly-themed joke like this can be unexpected and hit out of left field.

chumbler posted:

I could be misremembering, but I don't think Bayonetta 1 had a sort of second chance mechanic where if you have more than 1 health left any attack will leave you at 1, whereas Bayonetta 2 does (or I've just been super lucky).

Also Hideki Kamiya is the raddest man cherry boy.

I honestly can't remember in that case, although I do think you're right.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 31, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Very few people are going to have their faces melted off or be decapitated by chainsaws. Rape is both a far more common problem and, more significantly, is one which is often undervalued or made light of in a way which causes people to (intentionally or unintentionally) cause extra suffering to the victims of it.

Fine, I can understand that, but then what about gun violence? There's a poo poo load of that, especially in America. At what point does it become unconsciable? I agree that sexual assault is often swept aside--I don't deny that "rape culture" exists and I think most people are victims of some sexual abuse in some way or another--but it is always so that depictions of rape get a far stronger reaction in any medium than any other depiction of violence.

I have the same issue when people take umbrage at rape jokes or any other form of "controversial" humor. You could get away with a Holocaust joke easier than you could a rape joke (because most Holocaust survivors are dead now), and I find that attitude very strange. I've been a victim of pretty awful things, but I don't define myself by things that victimized me, and I largely find it cathartic that somebody can laugh at something that most people do not--it makes me feel more normal. But that's a bit of a digression and is incidental to the subject on hand.

My basic point is, is it not slightly hypocritical to be totally fine with the graphic violence of Bayonetta and take objection to this particular attack animation? Like somebody said earlier:

chumbler posted:

That being said, to denounce the game as a whole and Platinum as the worst human beings, as will no doubt be happening, is a pretty severe overreaction. People are totally justified in reacting how they are to the specific offense here, but good things can have a bad thing in them and still be overall good.

I absolutely see this being the result and I'm not really sure it's warranted or justified. You can object to it fine, but at some point, if you're going to criticize something like this, there needs to be an admission that you're having your cake and eating it too--prison rape is funny, violence and death are funny, but if girls get involved suddenly it's not funny anymore.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe it's kind of crass to have a character who's all about being in control of her sexuality (and has been praised even by feminists for being a refreshing power fantasy expression of this idea) suddenly get sexually assaulted and humiliated for a quick laugh. Just throwing that out there.

Maybe that's lovely and not good. Maybe "it would be cool to be Bayonetta" and "hahahaha check it out Bayonetta just got raped by Rodin hahahaha" are not congruent ideas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fine, I can understand that, but then what about gun violence? There's a poo poo load of that, especially in America. At what point does it become unconsciable?
There are plenty of arguments that games that glorify realistic gun violence are doing some pretty lovely things but the culture as a whole is far more divided on guns as a whole and so people are not all going to agree on this subject.

I've been a victim of pretty awful things, but I don't define myself by things that victimized me, and I largely find it cathartic that somebody can laugh at something that most people do not--it makes me feel more normal. But that's a bit of a digression and is incidental to the subject on hand

You may feel that way but many people don't, or they don't in a situation that isn't comfortable to them. Someone might be able to find humor in something terrible that happened to them in a comfortable or safe space but not when an effective stranger springs it on them. Telling someone "God, I got over my trauma, why can't you?" is a really nasty thing to do. (Although I don't think you meant it that way, but it's easy to read it that way.)

And who wants to play a video game, be having fun, and be reminded (even briefly) of a really horrible event in their life? If you really have trouble with gun violence, you're just not gonna play shooters and that is okay.

My basic point is, is it not slightly hypocritical to be totally fine with the graphic violence of Bayonetta and take objection to this particular attack animation?

Not at all. For one, the graphic violence in Bayonetta is extremely and intentionally unrealistic. Trying to go "well, you're being hypocritical" isn't going to win any arguments, it just looks like you're trying to shift the blame. If you're worried about the game suffering backlash for including this, it isn't the fault of the people who are upset by it.

It's also worth noting that this particular thing is really out of tone with the rest of the game, so it isn't at all hypocritical to enjoy the rest of Bayonetta and find this particular thing lovely.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 31, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe that's lovely and not good. Maybe "it would be cool to be Bayonetta" and "hahahaha check it out Bayonetta just got raped by Rodin hahahaha" are not congruent ideas.

Well I suppose there is that. Bayonetta herself isn't exactly a saint though, she does get off on brutally torturing enemies, sometimes in fairly sexual ways.

But eh. It's really not worth arguing about at the moment. People have different poo poo that pisses them off, so to each their own.

quote:

You may feel that way but many people don't, or they don't in a situation that isn't comfortable to them. Someone might be able to find humor in something terrible that happened to them in a comfortable or safe space but not when an effective stranger springs it on them. Telling someone "God, I got over my trauma, why can't you?" is a really nasty thing to do. (Although I don't think you meant it that way, but it's easy to read it that way.)

Well I definitely didn't mean THAT, good grief. That'd be an egregious stretch of what I said. That's not even accurate to what I said. I'm simply saying, humor tends to come from shaking expectations--the basis of a joke is making a statement, then following it up with an unexpected conclusion to that statement. Some people get offended at some jokes, some find them funny. It's all subjective. I guess honestly I'm just arguing about nothing at this point.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 31, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think we can at least all agree that Rodin is the shittiest character in Tag Climax.

Well I definitely didn't mean THAT, good grief. That'd be an egregious stretch of what I said. That's not even accurate to what I said. I'm simply saying, humor tends to come from shaking expectations--the basis of a joke is making a statement, then following it up with an unexpected conclusion to that statement. Some people get offended at some jokes, some find them funny. It's all subjective. I guess honestly I'm just arguing about nothing at this point.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have even really included that one because I know you didn't mean it that way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 31, 2014

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You might as well put the controller down when there's a whip user.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was there any reaction or care in the world at all when this same attack was seen in the first Bayonetta?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Was there any reaction or care in the world at all when this same attack was seen in the first Bayonetta?

I thought it was a little awkward then, but I've never seen anyone take notice of it until now. I guess it might be because it's easier to get to that fight in the second game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'd never thought of the Bayonetta games as being 100% pitch-perfect about their portrayal of Bayonetta even before I knew about this, but the problems never overwrote the positive and fairly progressive majority of the content. One skeevy scene's not going to change my view of Bayonetta's characterization nor the game as a whole. Seems like a fairly basic misstep to me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Beef Waifu posted:

I want to be like Hideki Kamiya when I grow up.

Growing up will make it impossible for you to be like Hideki Kamiya, sorry.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe it's kind of crass to have a character who's all about being in control of her sexuality (and has been praised even by feminists for being a refreshing power fantasy expression of this idea) suddenly get sexually assaulted and humiliated for a quick laugh. Just throwing that out there.

yeah. it's especially lovely because the rest of the game is mostly fine about this sort of thing, so it just comes out of nowhere in this secret boss fight and is completely inconsistent with the rest of the game and the characters involved, and it makes everything look bad. it's giant stain that could have easily been avoided, and it's confusing how it got there in the first place.

i don't blame anyone if they choose not to support the game as result of this because it really is indefensible. personally, i still enjoy both games a ton, but it's frustrating knowing this stupid animation is there, even if it is pretty far out of the way to even see it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Just booted this up tonight since it arrived and holy poo poo, is this fun.

Looks nice too. Did I miss out skipping MGR? This effort by platinum is fun as hell.

I skipped Bayonetta 1 from reports of a poo poo PS3 port, as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dubious posted:

Just booted this up tonight since it arrived and holy poo poo, is this fun.

Looks nice too. Did I miss out skipping MGR? This effort by platinum is fun as hell.

I skipped Bayonetta 1 from reports of a poo poo PS3 port, as well.

MGR is amazing. Get it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

No one ever really went "so this is in the game" the first time around. I never did the Rodin fight so it's news to me.

ImpAtom posted:

MGR is amazing. Get it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I didn't give a gently caress then and i don't give a gently caress now

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I fought Rodin in the first game and never saw that attack. It shouldn't be there, but I certainly don't think it ruins the 99.999% of the game that isn't even remotely like that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I didn't give a gently caress then and i don't give a gently caress now

ImpAtom posted:

MGR is amazing. Get it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

I don't define myself by things that victimized me

quote:

Telling someone "God, I got over my trauma, why can't you?" is a really nasty thing to do.

quote:

That's not even accurate to what I said.

quote:

I don't define myself by things that victimized me

It's possible that you weren't traumatized as badly as a rape victim. Just a thought. But what constitutes trauma? It's not just the initial victimization, it's equally the after effects and treatment of the victim by those around them.

We recognize and honor that a soldier may never be the same after he or she comes back from a war zone. However, we minimize and shame people who are permanently damaged by what happened to them upstairs at a party or in a bathroom at a club or at a friend's house. Then we throw random jokes about it all over the place so that they can't ever really get away from thinking about it, even while trying to enjoy a little video game escapism. And rape is so common it's practically ubiquitous, so there are a lot of these people.

Imagine if you someone could give you cancer on purpose and one out of every five or ten people in the US got cancer that way. Now imagine that "you were asking to get cancer" was a common enough sentiment that every cancer victim was guaranteed to hear it at least once. Random cancer jokes in the middle of otherwise unrelated video games would probably be considered about as tasteful as random rape jokes are now.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Imagine if you someone could give you cancer on purpose and one out of every five or ten people in the US got cancer that way. Now imagine that "you were asking to get cancer" was a common enough sentiment that every cancer victim was guaranteed to hear it at least once. Random cancer jokes in the middle of otherwise unrelated video games would probably be considered about as tasteful as random rape jokes are now.
Didn't they just settle their argument earlier without you sliding in with this dumb analogy?

The Rodin rape joke was bad taste. Everything else is amazing in this game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dubious posted:

ImpAtom posted:

MGR is amazing. Get it.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

One thing I noticed that is really cool in this game that I don't see being brought up earlier.

The win it all in one combo Muspellheims have sneakily taught me how to dodge offset. That's actually a really clever way of teaching that.

• Locked thread