Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

What's out of date so I can change it? I don't look it over constantly but if something's wrong I'd be happy to update it.

Also lol at being given another two 6"-movement MCs. The venom-based one is okay and situationally good, but the psychic one is just bad, bad, bad. I especially hate the look of its head and I don't expect to be picking up either one at least for a long while.

We're now back to the 5th/6th Tyranid problem, where the Elite and Heavy Support slots are too full of obviously "best" options to ever see some of the more "interesting" ones. I might consider fielding a Toxicrene if a Malanthrope and two Zoanthropes weren't the hands-down best options available.

Some of the links to Game's workshop and forgeworld are broken or expired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Moola posted:

converting your existing 40k poo poo into 30k is the pro move

Even if you do that. 10 man marine upgrade kit, without any 30k weapons, costs as much as 1.5 new tactical squads. Obviously you can get things cheaper on ebay but it's a crazy expensive upgrade to an already crazy expensive hobby.

That said they haven't released dark angels stuff yet, so I don't really have any bug itching me to go out and buy any..yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
To be fair, the FW guys know their stuff is expensive, the guy I talked to (main author of the IA13 book) said HH/30K is a 'niche within a niche' so it's not for kids, teens or students, it's definitely for middle-age people with money burning a hole in their pocket.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A FW head costs $1.8 per dude. Then just convert up your own shoulders or use custom decals. You can kitbash your torsos too or buy them for $3.5 each.

I never buy whole models anymore since I save cash just getting the individual parts that assemble into exactly what I want. For PRO MLG cheap 30k action (not counting communism) you can buy FW kits, keep the heads + guns + torsos and then flip everything else on ebay to bring down the price of the project. I won’t do the math for you, but you can sell actual FW still for a pretty good markup.

Moola posted:

converting your existing 40k poo poo into 30k is the pro move

This scrunt knows what's up

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
on the other hand it seems like FW's vehicles actually fit together well so i will pay whatever they ask to have my land raiders not hilariously warped

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
This whole fantasy endtimes thing has me hoping that GW will ever grow a pair big enough to push forward the timeline of 40k

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

DJ Dizzy posted:

This whole fantasy endtimes thing has me hoping that GW will ever grow a pair big enough to push forward the timeline of 40k

Not in million years.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Exinos posted:

Not in million years.

:negative:

A man can hope.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Why? The whole point of the 40k universe seems to be that it's sitting on the brink of multiple catastrophes in an epic stalemate. The logical next step is that everything collapses and the orks take over.

Plus given the fact that it's a space opera set across the galaxy over thousands of years there's infinite room to expand the lore without extending the timeline. New places, characters and events can be created without too much trouble. The same can't be said for fantasy because its map isn't boundless.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

40k would be a lot more interesting if they were willing to kill off characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

S.J. posted:

40k would be a lot more interesting if they were willing to kill off characters.

There is only war and death, unless you're Named Space Marine Captain #13.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40K Time Of Ending or whatever if the fantasy Endtimes is successful enough. It's not like they'll gently caress with the lore enough to end the franchise but moving some stuff around, maybe burning down some planets would help keep things fresh.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Abbadon's 13.5th Black Crusade

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

they un-killed eldrad, i mean seriously

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
What page was the Space Marine Tactical Rhino spam list on? I skimmed the last 20 pages and didn't see it.

Also, thanks to Cataphract, I've had Toto's "Africa" stuck in my head for several days.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Hmmm... what is this book-shaped package postmarked from the United Kingdom? :crossarms:

I can't quite settle down to open it just yet but oh, the anticipation.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
40k is already in the end times. Fantasy was mired in a stagnant time.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Why? The whole point of the 40k universe seems to be that it's sitting on the brink of multiple catastrophes in an epic stalemate. The logical next step is that everything collapses and the orks take over.

Plus given the fact that it's a space opera set across the galaxy over thousands of years there's infinite room to expand the lore without extending the timeline. New places, characters and events can be created without too much trouble. The same can't be said for fantasy because its map isn't boundless.

This is 100% correct. If you talk to any of the writers/design staff they will tell you the 40k universe is a setting not a story. They have no intention of advancing it.

Of course never say never... but it certainly isn't in the plans.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

they un-killed eldrad, i mean seriously

And that was a good idea. Eldrad was exhibit A in the case against giving 40K an evolving story. The last thing GW should do is write stories that tell people they can't play with their toys anymore.

And besides that, there are ten thousand years and millions of planets with which to tell stories.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40K Time Of Ending or whatever if the fantasy Endtimes is successful enough. It's not like they'll gently caress with the lore enough to end the franchise but moving some stuff around, maybe burning down some planets would help keep things fresh.

But that's the point. Name a planet that matters in 40k other than Terra or maybe Mars. They burn down planets all the time, hell it's literally a meta joke that the Inquisition just Exterminatuses all over the place.

It's not just that the galaxy's on the brink of collapse, it's literally collapsing constantly but none of those catastrophes carry any narrative impact because all the planets are made up and the points don't matter.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Direwolf posted:

the planets are made up and the points don't matter.

Now its time to play Scenes from a Commissars Hat!

First topic is... Things you can say to an Inquisitor, but not your girlfriend!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tequila Ranger posted:

"MY LIFE FOR THE EMPEROR" :byodood:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

The last thing GW should do is write stories that tell people they can't play with their toys anymore.

Yeah, but they already do that, conscious or not. I'm not against them killing of characters or making changes that affect the universe. It can keep teetering on the brink, which is a big part of the selling point, but you get more impactful stories when you strangle people's babies.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
And it's not like killing off characters prevents people from using them if they want to. It didn't for Eldrad, it didn't for Tycho, it isn't for any of the 30K characters that are getting releases now...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Storyline-obsolete models isn't actually an issue insofar as they're already making minis for two different settings 10,000 years apart. Is anybody going to give someone poo poo for playing Konrad Curze in 30k-in-40k just because Curze is canonically dead? Or sperg out over the fact that your Calas Typhon isn't a plague-mutated horror yet?

Okay, don't answer that, we all know the answer is that yes, some sperglords would give you poo poo. But hopefully the point is clear.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Storyline-obsolete models isn't actually an issue insofar as they're already making minis for two different settings 10,000 years apart. Is anybody going to give someone poo poo for playing Konrad Curze in 30k-in-40k just because Curze is canonically dead? Or sperg out over the fact that your Calas Typhon isn't a plague-mutated horror yet?

Okay, don't answer that, we all know the answer is that yes, some sperglords would give you poo poo. But hopefully the point is clear.

Simple solution: it's actually 40k in 30k.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Safety Factor posted:

Simple solution: it's actually 40k in 30k.

"The Warp did it"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

Watching two eldar players argue until red in the face over which one got to take Eldrad (because there's only one of him around, obviously) is a fond memory of mine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Watching two eldar players argue until red in the face over which one got to take Eldrad (because there's only one of him around, obviously) is a fond memory of mine.

Both start playing with Eldrad; the first one to die rolls a d6, on a 4+ is declared Eldrad and the surviving Eldrad is revealed to be Alpharius, whose rules he plays with until the end of the game. If he fails the roll, Alpharius is the one who died.

Or did he? :tinfoil:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Mirror universe Eldrad.

On point though I would never use a character.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a rule in blood bowl that if both coaches hire the same star player then neither player gets to use him but they both lose the money for hiring him. The rationale being that the player conned both coaches of their cash and then didn't show up.

So just do that. With spirit stones.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

Purity is my armour.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Tequila Ranger posted:

Even in death you still serve.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cataphract posted:

There's a rule in blood bowl that if both coaches hire the same star player then neither player gets to use him but they both lose the money for hiring him. The rationale being that the player conned both coaches of their cash and then didn't show up.

this is rad

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Cataphract posted:

Nothing has ever made me want to play Blood Bowl as much as this right here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Blood Bowl scrunt team

yay/nay?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Both start playing with Eldrad; the first one to die rolls a d6, on a 4+ is declared Eldrad and the surviving Eldrad is revealed to be Alpharius, whose rules he plays with until the end of the game. If he fails the roll, Alpharius is the one who died.

Or did he? :tinfoil:

This is the professional way to play any game of 40k with any character, including Alpharius.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Moola posted:

Blood Bowl scrunt team

yay/nay?

Do you really even need to ask when the answer is so obviously yay?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

DJ Dizzy posted:

:negative:

A man can hope.

It could literally be the year 41,000 and GW would refuse to advance the 40k story. They've actually gone back and retconned what little advancement had happened in like the last 10+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

What page was the Space Marine Tactical Rhino spam list on? I skimmed the last 20 pages and didn't see it.

Also, thanks to Cataphract, I've had Toto's "Africa" stuck in my head for several days.

Search my posts. I've talked and posted about the ravenguard rhino rush in this thread (I won dark star with it) I'm on my phone or I'd quote and expand more on it.

Now that imp Knights are harder to kill compared to 6th I don't think it's top tier but it's still a headache for every army.

• Locked thread