Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bobulus posted:

The update says the first story (girl with flashlight in trolltown) will probably be four-ish episodes.

...I have no idea how to convert that from Hussie to English, considering Homestuck was supposed to be a year long.

It means part 4 will be released in 2030 and be basically Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Welp. Game's probably not going to be good. Oh well.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

The update says the first story (girl with flashlight in trolltown) will probably be four-ish episodes.

...I have no idea how to convert that from Hussie to English, considering Homestuck was supposed to be a year long.

Homestuck is finally going to take the final step, and go full DBZ as the pacing slows down to a pace where most of us will not live to beat the game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Freak Futanari posted:

most of us will not live to beat the game

Sounds like SBurb all right.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Welp. Game's probably not going to be good. Oh well.

But what if the game ends with flashlight girl getting home, logging onto her computer, and starting her sburb FAQ under the name winniethepoop2?

????

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

But what if the game ends with flashlight girl getting home, logging onto her computer, at which point you see her screen name...

fedorafreak

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chapter 1) Does it really count as episodic if it's just cut in two?

Chapter 2) Oracle of Ages/Seasons was loving incredible :colbert:

Also Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, the best Persona games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

But what if the game ends with flashlight girl getting home, logging onto her computer, and starting her sburb FAQ under the name winniethepoop2?

????

This would make it all worth it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Freak Futanari posted:

Then again, we all deserve this for actually funding a Kickstarter.

Nah you just funded the wrong kickstarter. Undertale is looking pretty sweet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm still waiting for Half-Life 3

Well first there will be Half-Life 2 Episode 3 Act 1, Half-Life 2 Episode 3 Act 1 Intermission A Part 1...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'll settle for the two protagonists going on wild adventures on Earth/Alternia respectively, finally making their way home, then both getting immediately incinerated in Sburb/Sgrub-related meteor strikes. Although I have to wonder if they do the "troll on earth" story why a troll would possibly want to leave Earth and go back to Alternia. You'd probably have a better shot at survival on earth dodging government agents than on cull-happy Alternia where you get drafted into the foreverwar.

I wonder if that shades-wearing troll with the antler horns we saw in an earlier bit of screenshot/concept art is the troll Joey is meant to switch places with?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What the gently caress is a troll going to do on Earth? Earth sucks rear end.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'll settle for the two protagonists going on wild adventures on Earth/Alternia respectively, finally making their way home, then both getting immediately incinerated in Sburb/Sgrub-related meteor strikes. Although I have to wonder if they do the "troll on earth" story why a troll would possibly want to leave Earth and go back to Alternia. You'd probably have a better shot at survival on earth dodging government agents than on cull-happy Alternia where you get drafted into the foreverwar.

I wonder if that shades-wearing troll with the antler horns we saw in an earlier bit of screenshot/concept art is the troll Joey is meant to switch places with?

Maybe it'll be a highblood troll who was having a merry old time murdering filthy lowblood scum.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

What the gently caress is a troll going to do on Earth? Earth sucks rear end.

Have you ever watched Crocodile Dundee?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah I payed 4 million dollars to watch a semi-canon troll watch Crocodile Dundee on the Unity engine. Get. Real.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Crocodile Dundee was pretty funny though, i liked it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

net cafe scandal posted:

What the gently caress is a troll going to do on Earth?

Sit under a bridge and extort money from travelers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Maybe get hunted by the Condesce who's still in hiding as Betty Crocker and would probably like to know what the hell another troll is doing in this universe. Apart from that anything from E.T. involving hiding from dudes who want to dissect an alien will qualify. Then again it'd be funny if he spent the whole game on the couch, watching TV and ordering pizza because it turns out life on earth is way better than on Alternia.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

Maybe get hunted by the Condesce who's still in hiding as Betty Crocker and would probably like to know what the hell another troll is doing in this universe. Apart from that anything from E.T. involving hiding from dudes who want to dissect an alien will qualify. Then again it'd be funny if he spent the whole game on the couch, watching TV and ordering pizza because it turns out life on earth is way better than on Alternia.

Troll game consists entirely of avoiding ways to get back home. He can't go now, he still hasn't finished watching through Breaking Bad yet!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah I payed 4 million dollars to watch a semi-canon troll watch Crocodile Dundee on the Unity engine. Get. Real.

You pretty much did, yeah, sorry

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone who has ever donated to a Kickstarter campaign scammed themselves and this one is no exception.

It's that phrase about fools and their money, repeated ten million times by ten million mouths.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

loquacius posted:

He hired a game studio of his own??? Dangit I just finished a search for engineering jobs in Massachusetts, some of which were in the games industry, a month or so ago. How did I never hear about this??? :argh:

(it's actually quite possible that I got a LinkedIn email or something about it, saw the word "Northampton", and immediately went "hell naw DELETE")

It's actually based in New York now, those posers.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Oxxidation posted:

Anyone who has ever donated to a Kickstarter campaign scammed themselves and this one is no exception.

It's that phrase about fools and their money, repeated ten million times by ten million mouths.

There's plenty of Kickstarter campaigns that work out well. It's just that most of them aren't for video games.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For those that didn't back, here's the kickstarter update:

http://mspaintadventures.com/KSupdate.html

That last concept art makes it seem like one of the adventure game puzzles is going to be crafting yourself a lovely set of horns so you can wander around Alternia with antler-troll's friends.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oxxidation posted:

Mighty No. 9 looks pretty okay.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GeneX posted:

Mighty No. 9 looks pretty okay.

I am a huge idiot and paid way too much money to get into the Beta, it's pretty fun!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

JT Jag posted:

So here I was, going on a nostalgia trip, running through all these old flashes, and then I reached this page. Right here.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005614

End of year two. 4/13/2011. > REMOVE DISC 1. The next disc gets "scratched," an excuse for Hussie to use in-comic stalling tactics for four month and then nearly two months in addition to that, a disruption in momentum that had, before then, been unprecedented. All to prepare for Cascade.

And then Act 5, which hosed the momentum up even more. Four new kids. Twelve new trolls. Two new freaky green skull kids.

Hussie produced 3713 pages in the first two years he made Homestuck and 3188 in the three and a half years since. Think about that.

(approximately, that might not be counting all the pages in the weird formats)

I think that's a pretty good point of where things started "going downhill", if you are of the opinion that homestuck has gone downhill.

Hussie was extremely good at creating the effect that there were very big and mysterious things going on behind the curtain for the first few acts of homestuck, which is what really got me hooked in the first place. It really felt like the answers that would eventually come would be really satisfying. Anyone else remember reading the end of the Spades Slick intermission? That absolutely blew my mind, and is the reason that whole part is my favorite. Understandably, the effect of the first few acts has completely gone away, and I'm not even sure what important mysteries we're supposed to be pondering at this point are.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Yeah can't say I was not expecting this, it's like the ol' trollpocalypse from ages past

and at this point Hussie has me not even caring if anyone comes back or not; because he has shown us time and time again that he will do whatever he pleases.

EDIT: man am I paranoid

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I think I agree. When rereading the comic it's actually strange how many of the earlier mysteries turn out not to be important - the story's almost completely left Sburb behind, the idea of the game and its rules mattering has sort of been dropped. Bec Noir was the driving, building villain for the first half of the comic and they don't even beat him, he's just faded to relative irrelevance.

The story's not really about discovery or fitting things together anymore, there aren't that many mysteries left to solve, there's just a big heap of cosmic powers stacked up and we're waiting to see how they shake out and who ends up on top.

It's still a lot of fun, especially now that it's back and updating again, but Homestuck seemed to outrun Hussie at some point and I'm hoping he used at least some of that year off to rough out what's going to happen in the rest of the comic and do a little editing and smoothing. The flash was an encouraging first step since it worked a bit like Cascade or Descend did to clean up plot threads and tighten up the story.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While we're all awake like losers, the Paradox Space story just finished. I like it a lot, though I am probably biased from reading Junji Ito comics for the last hour.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YggiDee posted:

While we're all awake like losers, the Paradox Space story just finished. I like it a lot, though I am probably biased from reading Junji Ito comics for the last hour.
Yeah, it was kinda looking too Junji Ito-referency, but I like how it took a swerve into a Homestuck-type conclusion that still kinda fit the theme of the comic.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I think I agree. When rereading the comic it's actually strange how many of the earlier mysteries turn out not to be important - the story's almost completely left Sburb behind, the idea of the game and its rules mattering has sort of been dropped. Bec Noir was the driving, building villain for the first half of the comic and they don't even beat him, he's just faded to relative irrelevance.

Irrelevance? He's one of the three horrifically powerful beings threatening everyone's lives of their own volition (the others being Jack English and the Batterwitch now that Aranea is dead again) and he just killed Dave. The fact that he's less powerful than Lord English doesn't make him irrelevant at all.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
The game didn't have a clear idea, pitch or plan behind it, and I'm sure most people outside the MSPA fandom had absolutely no interest in funding the project before or after it's multimillion dollar success. Most people gave money because they want to support Hussie as a creator, and/or are guilty about consuming 100+ hours of free entertainment provided by a single crazy person working night and day.
Given the man's reputation for being a troll, I'm actually surprised with how responsible and accountable he's been throughout this process. All of his posts over the past couple months have lacked the playfulness typical of him, which is disheartening to see. :smith:

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Dolash posted:

I like episodic games and thought it'd make sense for the Homestuck game from the start. Pretty skeptical that Hussie'll ever pull off the game, though - I mean, it was funded two years ago and they're still at the "putting together a team, drawing concept art, playing with pre-pre-alpha models" phase.

It's all starting to sound a lot like Broken Age, actually. An adventure game about two teenagers involved in separate but interlaced stories, plus the game being broken up into two halves (and maybe some development anxiety mixed in).

It sounds VERY Double Fine Adventure Game, and I bet the cost of prototyping it with one set of programmers/designers and then moving their work over probably extended their development time frame by years (you know, Hussie style).

That said, the previous studio (The Odd Gentleman) looked like it came out with pretty lovely material that didn't look anything adventure-gamey, or might have just wanted to do their new Kings Quest stuff full-time.

Freak Futanari posted:

Also, i think it's pretty lovely of them to split the game into two. Even if they claim that they're both going to be complete games, it's pretty obvious that they just decided to cut the game in half so they could recoup some of the money they lost when they decided to hire a bunch of nobodies to make their game.

You're still getting the whole game, so you can't complain about that. Here's what you can complain about :

• Hussie almost never updating the progress of the kickstarter, so you had no idea how many changes in scope and scale were being considered, which then resulted in new possible delays
  • The risk that the new studio will keel over and die after the 1st installment. Double Fine, for all of its "holy poo poo we dug ourselves in too deep," is at least big enough to have other projects paper over their cash flows while it delays getting a game out there.

David Copperfield fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 31, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

pumpinglemma posted:

Irrelevance? He's one of the three horrifically powerful beings threatening everyone's lives of their own volition (the others being Jack English and the Batterwitch now that Aranea is dead again) and he just killed Dave. The fact that he's less powerful than Lord English doesn't make him irrelevant at all.

He's been outpaced, there are multiple characters who have powers that make him effectively irrelevant in the big picture, and he has an equal who's opposed to him in all matters not relating to being a Good Dog and guarding Jade.

Also he's stopped being a character with actual personality to some degree, and taken on more and more of an "oh, another super powered animal" type of thing as time has gone on and new villains were introduced. He's basically become a giant, relatively evil dog. He was a super-ambitious menace to two entire humanoid races beforehand. That's a pretty significant downgrade, even if it's just a matter of depiction.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I like when Jack walks through a dream bubble and it shows him all the places he destroyed and people he killed, and then we get the good fight scene between John and he.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It was one of the really good parts of Act 6 so far in this Homestucker's opinion

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I like when Jack walks through a dream bubble and it shows him all the places he destroyed and people he killed, and then we get the good fight scene between John and he.

Same. That one panel that was a big pastiche of all the destroyed stuff was really good and cool.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

David Copperfield posted:

Double Fine, for all of its "holy poo poo we dug ourselves in too deep," is at least big enough to have other projects paper over their cash flows while it delays getting a game out there.

And Hussie/WP isn't? How much merch do they have that stupid teenagers keep buying at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's a difference between selling a few t-shirts and being an established game development company that's been around for years and weathered lean times before. Double-Fine might bite off more than they can chew but at the end of the day they've made games before and it's reasonable to expect they can do it again, even if ends up costing more or taking longer than they expected.

Trying to turn What Pumpkin into an indie game developer is definitely risky, I'd go so far as to suggest it's possible Hussie might end up sinking all the money he raised without ever managing to put out a working game even if he tries his best.