Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunky
Aug 29, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

Hey man, don't bother with these jerks, they're just yanking your chain.

I made a post earlier, I would like the benefit of your guitar knowledge!

I'm trying to learn guitar, you are the only person I've found in this forum who knows what they're doing.

I would like to know what guitar to start out with, if possible a really cool one like that medieval one you posted earlier.

hey dummy, dont ask that dude anything about guitars unless you want a hot pink ibanez steve vai fart machine. there are so many people in this thread (me included) that could give you decent advice on where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm trying to learn guitar, you are the only person I've found in this forum who knows what they're doing.

I would like to know what guitar to start out with, if possible a really cool one like that medieval one you posted earlier.

How can I be of service to you, seeker of knowledge?

Don't listen to Bunkey, it's name is actually bunk.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bunky posted:

steve vai fart machine

stealing this for a band name

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lmao at the vai hate

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

lmao at the vai hate

Well, it's good we're all laughing now I guess

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bunky posted:

i really wanted this sg back around the time i got my faded

looking back at it now i really want it again :emo:

I bought the version of this right before they added the special stuff to it.

antonia la negra

Came standard with EMGs and is now tuned to B, no real QC issues that I've ever noticed and it's an amazingly playable guitar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sout posted:

Well, it's good we're all laughing now I guess

autism spectrum disorders are sad and are a hell of a disease

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

lmao at the vai hate

i don't think that's the word for it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

W424 posted:

Because it's loving boring rock music for grandpas.

hrmm no thats all other guitar music

Fumble posted:

There is nothing cooler than some sad twat in his mid 40's singing about being a sexually frustrated 17 year old and how his dad is a big jerk.

lol what. are you confused or something here bud, i didn't say nu metal.

bunky posted:

whats with all the gibson hate? i know their build quality has plummeted in the past couple decades, but i love my sg faded. it's not a high-end model, but it plays and sounds awesome.

the price compared to the QA and actual materials is ridiculous, and the company itself is by all accounts run by a megalomanic who treats all his employees like poo poo

i would think less of someone who bought a genuine gibson over any of the millions of good quality knock offs, or even a cheap chinese rip off honestly.

again, there is a reason that the old japanese companies got in so much trouble for making gibson/fender copies: they were making them better and for cheaper, which shows what a state those two companies are in.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

bunky posted:

hey dummy, dont ask that dude anything about guitars unless you want a hot pink ibanez steve vai fart machine. there are so many people in this thread (me included) that could give you decent advice on where to start.

You do realize he's trying to troll Faustus right?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wasn't even drunk but still ordered this green sparkle Chickenbacker. I hope they didn't use that toilet brush on it.

Now I just need to find someone who can make a Chickenbacker truss rod cover.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

I brought some of those ages ago! If they are anything like the set I brought, they aren't bad, nothing to get excited about, but not too bad, think epi pickups but a slight improvement.

Dewgy posted:

my dream guitar would probably be something similar to a bo diddley box guitar but made to look like an 18th century end table, complete with intricate wood burning and/or carving of some kind of scene

how much would you charge for this kind of madness

Carving terrifies me because I'm poo poo at it. It wouldn't be too expensive to knock a non-crazy craving version up though. The Bo Diddly's are semi-hollow aren't they? Wouldn't be too hard at all...

gnarlyhotep posted:

Gonna pretend this is 100% serious and say get one of these http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-tele-custom-ii-maple-fingerboard-black/.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

I lust for some fender telecaster cabronita. Any goons here tried it?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Snowy posted:

I wasn't even drunk but still ordered this green sparkle Chickenbacker. I hope they didn't use that toilet brush on it.

Now I just need to find someone who can make a Chickenbacker truss rod cover.

That is incredibly good, and I want one. How much did it cost you?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sleepflower posted:

That is incredibly good, and I want one. How much did it cost you?

It was $358. I almost went with a similar one in black that was $300 but got dazzled by the sparkles. From reviews I'm expecting to do a little work on it but then hopefully it will be more than just an awesome wall hanging :shrug:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I hate the stupid inlays in my Epi SG

But holy poo poo for what it cost it plays like a dream and sounds great.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Faustus posted:

How can I be of service to you, seeker of knowledge?

Don't listen to Bunkey, it's name is actually bunk.

Yeah, I know all about Bunky. He;s such a jerk.

I'll be honest I am not a complete newbie to guitars, I have an old nylon-string classical but can only play a few chords on it. I would like to be able to shred crazy poo poo like you guys, but I can't spend a ton of money right now. Basically just looking for a solid starter electric.

And no I'm not trolling, you people are way too paranoid. :rolleyes:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'll be honest I am not a complete newbie to guitars, I have an old nylon-string classical but can only play a few chords on it. I would like to be able to shred crazy poo poo like you guys, but I can't spend a ton of money right now. Basically just looking for a solid starter electric.

Squier's Classic Vibe-guitars are crazy good for the money right now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is for the thread:

Owns

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

I hate the stupid inlays in my Epi SG

But holy poo poo for what it cost it plays like a dream and sounds great.

aw man those were loving awesome it sucks that gibson hates fun and cool versions of their poo poo

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Snowy posted:

It was $358. I almost went with a similar one in black that was $300 but got dazzled by the sparkles. From reviews I'm expecting to do a little work on it but then hopefully it will be more than just an awesome wall hanging :shrug:

Please let us know how it turns out. That is really tempting.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I really really want this SG but gently caress if I'm paying what Gibson wants for it.

Agile has a similar one but I don't like the offset shape theirs have. I might still end up getting drunk one night and buying it though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Irradiation posted:

I really really want this SG but gently caress if I'm paying what Gibson wants for it.

Agile has a similar one but I don't like the offset shape theirs have. I might still end up getting drunk one night and buying it though.

Silverburst works pretty good with SGs, would buy (can't afford).

Also I did a thorough cleaning and restrung my 01 MiM Strat, Surf music day. :D

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'll PM you. These people are poo poo-flinging monkey crazy and if you go too far into details they diagnose you with autism.
No, they do not see the irony in this.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Also I don't think there are any actual "shredders" in this thread

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll PM you. These people are poo poo-flinging monkey crazy and if you go too far into details they diagnose you with autism.

that's definitely not where the autism claims are coming from dude

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

cmon dude. there are people here that will legitimately give you advice. dont come crawling back here when you end up with a guitar with too many necks and too many handles. ps: the ideal number of handles is zero

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

hey now, some of us just like to drink our own pee :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfVSmXUVrGs

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ you guys, look at his rap sheet and post history. I'm cool with him trolling Faustus but don't touch the poop.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, you.

I am an earnest and honest poster even though it has won me few friends,

I don't fit the box you people keep trying to fit me in. It's just lazy anonymous ranking on strangers that made this admittedly funny thread so terrible.

I can still give good advice and it has nothing to do with Vai or Ibanez guitars.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Jesus Christ, you.

I am an earnest and honest poster even though it has won me few friends,

I don't fit the box you people keep trying to fit me in. It's just lazy anonymous ranking on strangers that made this admittedly funny thread so terrible.

I can still give good advice and it has nothing to do with Vai or Ibanez guitars.

At this point even if you were doing some sort of elaborate troll it'd just be depressing so please chill out and stop reacting every time someone says something not nice about you. If you don't have any interest in the thread go post in one of the other guitar threads or whatever, if you do then you're the person here who is capable of stopping people from making GBS threads it up, do it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

At this point even if you were doing some sort of elaborate troll it'd just be depressing so please chill out and stop reacting every time someone says something not nice about you. If you don't have any interest in the thread go post in one of the other guitar threads or whatever, if you do then you're the person here who is capable of stopping people from making GBS threads it up, do it.
I agree with this, except the actual fact that even when I go away for months I'm still invoked as the pointy handle-guitar Vai-cum-drinking autist and frankly, I've been probated for responding to that bullshit, too. I guess I just can't win. So if you don't want me, don't bring me up.

I never shitpost in GBS; but this one thread, according to at least another poster here, is amazing at the level of reactions I get to just posting my own opinions.

It really is astounding.

Allow me to post on-topic:

bunky posted:

the handle is to have something to hold on to when the riffs get too rockin

Chinatown posted:

steve vai is a turd

Just page one.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Personally I think it is awesome that we can just type Dr. Faustus and you will appear here in all of your handled guitar majesty. Never change.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Except I post from experience and while it's not for everybody (certainly Ibanezes are not) I have worthwhile things to say, unlike most of you.

Don't talk poo poo about me, and I'll just go away.

Sweet Jesus I only have two JEMs.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Except I post from experience and while it's not for everybody (certainly Ibanezes are not) I have worthwhile things to say, unlike most of you.

Don't talk poo poo about me, and I'll just go away.

Sweet Jesus I only have two JEMs.

youre a lovely poop dork

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Dr. Faustus posted:

I agree with this, except the actual fact that even when I go away for weeks I'm invoked as the pointy guitar autist and frankly, I've been probated for responding to that bullshit, too. I guess I just can't win. So if you don't want me, don't bring me up.

I never shitpost in GBS; but this one thread, according to at least another poster here, is amazing at the level of reactions I get to just posting my own opinions.

It really is astounding.

Allow me to post on-topic:

Jesus Christ. My office hours are slow so I come to check out the thread and oh look, it's falling into Faustus bullshit hour again.

Go see a therapist or something and just get out of the thread. You are way too personally invested in not only guitars, but the forums themselves. You set up google notifications when people respond to you, you get personally offended by those whose opinions differ, and your greatest comeback is asking others to play guitar for you, so you can smugly say you're better at the one thing you seem to let define you.

The sadder part is that it isn't even a troll. Look at your rap sheet, you do the same poo poo for other niche topics like a racing video game. You just continue down your path of discussing stupid poo poo that no one else cares about, ignoring every single clue that no one cares at all. This is why people think you are on the autism spectrum. You can't even properly communicate with people on a message board, and are prone to the same predictable behavior over and over.

Learn to separate your own feeling of self worth from forums, stupid ugly guitars, and video games. You must be a horror to be around.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

booshi posted:

You set up google notifications when people respond to you
Actually, I don't. I wouldn't even know how to start.

quote:

...you get personally offended by those whose opinions differ, and your greatest comeback is asking others to play guitar for you, so you can smugly say you're better at the one thing you seem to let define you.
People can have all sorts of opinions, but thanks to the Internet they express them in words that are insulting and degrading. So, if some rear end in a top hat wants to hate on my guitars; then yeah, I would be interested to know if they can play or not. I've put myself out there and I've taken the beatings for it. Will you do that? I'll believe it when I hear it.

quote:

no one cares at all.

They sure post a lot for people who don't care, don't they?

quote:

Learn to separate your own feeling of self worth from forums, stupid ugly guitars, and video games. You must be a horror to be around.
It's only posting on a forum. It doesn't actually affect my personal life, or my friends. When she comes home, I'll ask my girlfriend of the last 2 1/2 years if I'm "a horror to be around." She carries a snub-nosed .038, so if I am in trouble with her she could end it pretty quickly.

Anything else?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

booshi posted:

Jesus Christ. My office hours are slow so I come to check out the thread and oh look, it's falling into Faustus bullshit hour again.

Go see a therapist or something and just get out of the thread. You are way too personally invested in not only guitars, but the forums themselves. You set up google notifications when people respond to you, you get personally offended by those whose opinions differ, and your greatest comeback is asking others to play guitar for you, so you can smugly say you're better at the one thing you seem to let define you.

The sadder part is that it isn't even a troll. Look at your rap sheet, you do the same poo poo for other niche topics like a racing video game. You just continue down your path of discussing stupid poo poo that no one else cares about, ignoring every single clue that no one cares at all. This is why people think you are on the autism spectrum. You can't even properly communicate with people on a message board, and are prone to the same predictable behavior over and over.

any one of those things would be enough to make me seriously reevaluate my attitudes but lol faustus just keep on truckin' along. it must be loving miserable to define your self-worth on some stupid bullshit like guitars.

• Locked thread