Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pook Good Mook posted:

I hope Australia sues for the money they spent on the bid back. I'm sure their bid would have been 100% stronger if they knew it could be placed in a different season so it didn't need to conflict with Australian football.

Summer in Australia is too hot to play football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ronniegardocki posted:

Summer in Australia is too hot to play football.

Do you not know of the a league or is that the joke?

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Byolante posted:

Do you not know of the a league or is that the joke?

The A League is barely football.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
The A-League only exists for the yearly blooper reel.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I guess my point is that playing the World Cup in January in 40 degree heat would have made Australia's bid less attractive, not more.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ronniegardocki posted:

I guess my point is that playing the World Cup in January in 40 degree heat would have made Australia's bid less attractive, not more.

where in australia do you get 40 degree heat every day that would be hosting world cup matches in the theoretical universe where Australia wouldn't host it in july when its winter.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

ronniegardocki posted:

Why would you play a World Cup in Australia in January?

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

mackintosh posted:

I don't know, ask the guy on the last page who said they would if they were allowed to.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ronniegardocki posted:

I don't know, ask the guy on the last page who said they would if they were allowed to.

That was me, it was my understanding there was a potential conflict with stadium availability in summer but someone came in and said it wasn't as big a deal as FIFA and the media made it seem.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

I hope Australia sues for the money they spent on the bid back. I'm sure their bid would have been 100% stronger if they knew it could be placed in a different season so it didn't need to conflict with Australian football.

We don't like to talk about it too much because we bribed a lot too apparently.. Supposedly just to the wrong people and not enough

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Adnar posted:

We don't like to talk about it too much because we bribed a lot too apparently.. Supposedly just to the wrong people and not enough

the FIFA is so corrupt it's actually hard to tell who to bribe. It's like a more dystopian Soviet Union.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Has anyone at FIFA suggested building underground stadiums in Qatar yet?

The slaves may not like living underground like rabbits for two years while they construct it, but they're less likely to die from the heat. Also, as it's underground and away from the light of God this means English and Italians can drink Budweiser and throw plastic chairs at each other away from God's gaze. Everyone's a winner!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Has anyone at FIFA suggested building underground stadiums in Qatar yet?

The slaves may not like living underground like rabbits for two years while they construct it, but they're less likely to die from the heat. Also, as it's underground and away from the light of God this means English and Italians can drink Budweiser and throw plastic chairs at each other away from God's gaze. Everyone's a winner!

They can't, because the oil is there.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Make the pitches out of oil imo

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

dex_sda posted:

Make the pitches out of oil imo

It's not the Women's World Cup

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Should have made the saudis host the women's world cup first to show they are capable imo.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

mackintosh posted:

tbh I'm down for this

you could bury tinnies under the pitch and dig them up at half time

also all of the Serbian countries could be in the same group

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Paddyb posted:

It's not the Women's World Cup

cheeky

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crazy Ted posted:

You can't make this poo poo up:

I always wondered how footballers would adapt to a drastic change in sleeping habits, could be interesting imo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
ahahahaha

quote:

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has said a men's World Cup could be played on artificial turf "sooner rather than later".

Valcke was responding to the criticism of FIFA's decision that means next year's women's World Cup in Canada will not be played on grass.

A number of leading women players have filed a legal challenge to the decision to play on third-generation synthetic pitches, and a major part of their argument is that men would not be expected to contest a World Cup on anything other than grass.

Valcke said FIFA understands that players want "the best conditions to perform well" but stressed any organiser of any of its tournaments is entitled to propose artificial turf.

The Frenchman insists FIFA would only accept pitches "of the highest quality", and added: "It could well be that sooner rather than later the men's World Cup will also be played on artificial pitches."

He told FIFA's website that Canada's decision to offer artificial pitches was "due to the extreme climate in the host country", a problem that looks set to also arise when the men's 2022 World Cup is played in Qatar.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter told German magazine Sport Bild the world governing body will listen to all pitch suggestions, saying men could play a World Cup on a synthetic surface "maybe even tomorrow".

Blatter said: "We are open to proposal from the local organisers, and this has been possible for years in accordance with the FIFA regulations. Artificial turf is the future of football."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9540324/fifa-considers-switching-to-artificial-pitches-for-world-cup

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I guess the obvious question would be why? Enough money is spent on these tournaments in the first place, is it that big of a deal to have natural surfaces available?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
FIFA are just a humble non-profit they don't have the money for something like that

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
FIFA already has approved leagues to use artificial, won't be long till they all do it :(

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

I guess the obvious question would be why? Enough money is spent on these tournaments in the first place, is it that big of a deal to have natural surfaces available?

Because they can't keep the grass alive in 40 degree deserts

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Byolante posted:

actually

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

artificial grass plays way different than natural and its such loving bullshit that we're going to have a winter world cup played on an artificial surface in stadiums build by slaves

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I hope the US plays Saturday because I am going to be planted on the couch with a solid hangover.

I'm kinda amazed they will have time to complete the formal bribe process by tomorrow but I guess they have it fully optimized at this point. Hail Sepp!

porkface fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 30, 2014

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
May as well drain some covered swimming pools and convert the bottoms into those sandy hockey pitches at this stage tbh.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Byolante posted:

Phoenix does it for their new NFL stadium without much of an issue.

Hegay posted:

artificial grass plays way different than natural and its such loving bullshit that we're going to have a winter world cup played on an artificial surface in stadiums build by slaves
I think the problem isn't really the speed as much as even though modern turf is quite a bit softer than the old semi-concrete horseshit, it's still really hard to land on and harsher on the body.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Crazy Ted posted:

Phoenix does it for their new NFL stadium without much of an issue.

I think the problem isn't really the speed as much as even though modern turf is quite a bit softer than the old semi-concrete horseshit, it's still really hard to land on and harsher on the body.

the speed and bounce of the ball is a huge factor

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

the speed and bounce of the ball is a huge factor
It is, but at least you can adjust to that if you have to. You can't really adjust to extra pounding it puts your body through. I still can't imagine how NFL players used to play on that old fake green poo poo. Wasn't there actually an English team that tried that in the 80's?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Crazy Ted posted:

It is, but at least you can adjust to that if you have to. You can't really adjust to extra pounding it puts your body through. I still can't imagine how NFL players used to play on that old fake green poo poo. Wasn't there actually an English team that tried that in the 80's?

True it is all around pure poo poo. I bet FIFA are saying this to stem the tide of the women wanting to play on grass, luckily twitter is distracted by gamergate and catcalling and has yet to really dig into Blatter.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What's to dig into?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Crazy Ted posted:

A few did. QPR were the first, and the first to remove it as well iirc

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
My old local football team played on artificial turf. Feltham utd. Or something. Either way youths burnt down the only stand that should tell you all you need to know. Also sand, so much sand.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost
Artificial grass is sadly becoming the standard here in Norway, even in places that traditionally had no problems maintaining a proper grass pitch. The only places where that poo poo is needed is for the clubs up north where winter can last into may.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

When transfer fees and player wages are what they are today, why is "how much does the grass cost?" a real question?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
because you touch yourself at night

in other seep news, fifa showed crimea as part of russia in the presentation video of the 2018 world cup and then removed it and apologized

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/30/fifa-apologises-video-crimea-ukraine-world-cup

haha

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
By 2018, it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Lamont Cranston posted:

A few did. QPR were the first, and the first to remove it as well iirc

I always remember Luton's being a running joke.
AstroTurf was invented by Mosanto, which I believe makes it more evil than Blatter.