Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2014: A new version, there wasn't enough bleeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, this is kind of annoying. I got a notice that my jeweler was tantruming, and a glance at their status wasn't very illustrative. Thing was full of "admired a fine armor stand," "satisfied at work," "dined in a legendary dining room," et cetera - the only negative things were "nauseated by the sun" and "disgusted to be forced to talk to a pillar of society lately," and yet she was somehow very unhappy.

Therapist told me a little more, though - she had 38 of the "pillar of society" thoughts stacked. I guess because it's basically a perma-party in my meeting hall dining room, so people are constantly talking to each other? But that's not a source of unhappiness that I quite know how to address. Other than not having people gather like that, I guess.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maybe give your more aspergers-riddled dwarves their own little dining rooms?

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
These barrels of blood I keep collecting from the caravans are piling up. When can I fill my spooky tomb with the contents.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prop Wash posted:

Maybe give your more aspergers-riddled dwarves their own little dining rooms?

Or build a zoo (from a cage), a statue garden (from a statue), and a memorial hall (from a tombstone thing) so that there is more than one room available for idlers. Bonus: With a full slate of entertainment rooms kids hardly ever run outside to get kidnapped.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this have a web client?

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
What are the benefits of meeting rooms/zoo's etc? They always seem to just make my dwarfs do nothing then get really pissy when their playmates get eaten.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Faithless posted:

What are the benefits of meeting rooms/zoo's etc? They always seem to just make my dwarfs do nothing then get really pissy when their playmates get eaten.

Because the alternative is to have some sort of ultramodern cubicle farm fortress where nobody ever comes into contact with anyone else.

If your dwarves are going to gather, you might as well have them do it somewhere expensive.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

There's this. Not sure if this is what you had in mind. I've never used it and don't know much about it but apparently it is possible to play DF over the web.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Faithless posted:

It lets you manage where idlers and "on a break" guys will spend their time. If you have zero meeting areas there will be no parties, which may be good, but all the people who are idle or on a break will go stand somewhere random. Often they choose to stand somewhere random outside (near the wagon is a favorite spot, if it still exists). Admiring fine statues, memorials, creatures in cages and whatnot also generates happy thoughts.

I used to do up the statue garden, zoo, and memorial hall with engravings and make them like mini lavish dining rooms. These days I usually make each a 30X30 room dug in a soil layer. Not as pretty a room, but once you breach the caverns the floors will be mossy, so there is much less chance random grazers you haven't noticed will starve to death.

Plus I like to make my fortress a nice place to live. It makes no mechanical difference yet, but breaking up the brutal efficiency with a few rooms set aside for recreation just appeals to me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Turtlicious posted:

DFTerm and mifki's Web Fortress (above) are the only leads. Look those up on Bay12 and see if they catch your fancy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So is there something I am missing about burrows? I want my military to all be in a burrow that is very, very far away from the rest of the fortress (which is itself on lockdown mode), yet they are all still hanging around in my fortress, doing jobs. I defined the burrow, assigned the military squads to an alert that is assigned to the burrow, and assigned each individual dwarf to the burrow. I also unassigned them from the barracks and archery targets, since they were trying to do combat drills and such in there. Is there anything else I should know about how to get them to just stay in their designated burrow?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

So is there something I am missing about burrows? I want my military to all be in a burrow that is very, very far away from the rest of the fortress (which is itself on lockdown mode), yet they are all still hanging around in my fortress, doing jobs. I defined the burrow, assigned the military squads to an alert that is assigned to the burrow, and assigned each individual dwarf to the burrow. I also unassigned them from the barracks and archery targets, since they were trying to do combat drills and such in there. Is there anything else I should know about how to get them to just stay in their designated burrow?

As I recall, you have to activate the burrow, which involves setting the fortress alert state. It's somewhere on the military screen but I've not played for a while so I can't tell you where exactly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I have to not only assign my military to the burrow I want it in, but also assign everyone else into my panic burrow?

sounds like of a good use of 10 minutes I guess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly? I dunno, I am pretty sure you can just activate the military burrow, essentially the point is that assigning dwarfs to burrows doesn't do anything unless you activate the burrow, if I remember right. They start out switched off. I think they are activated through the military alerts screen but it could be somewhere else.

DF's interface is complicated.

Edit: Though, just to point out, the wiki does state: "Burrows do not restrict a dwarf's movements; they only restrict the locations where dwarves may perform jobs, and acquire the materials for those jobs. An idle dwarf can still go anywhere, regardless of burrows. (Note: a Civilian Alert overrides this behavior.)"

So your dwarves will wander outside their burrows, they just won't pick jobs outside of them.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Burrow

Edit: Though, reading that, it doesn't mention activating burrows that I can see...

Christ I hate DF's interface. I'm sure last time I used them they didn't start working automatically, I had to do something to turn the burrow on.

Edit2: And also apparently there are a bunch of bugs where burrows don't do poo poo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 1, 2014

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Lycanthropic infections do not gently caress around. I think the original bit three dwarves before getting put down. Those three killed a further sixteen when they woke up as werekoalas. Per popular media, the remaining seven uninfected dwarves walled off the entire hospital full of wounded.

I'm .. surprised there hasn't been a tantrum spiral in the new system since the settlement got its population quartered.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

So I have to not only assign my military to the burrow I want it in, but also assign everyone else into my panic burrow?

sounds like of a good use of 10 minutes I guess

No, you can just go to the Military screen -> Alerts and move the cursor over to the panic burrow you set up, and press Enter. This will assign all Civilians to that burrow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ninjewtsu posted:

I think military dwarfs may not respect burrows? Because they need to leave burrows to do military stuff.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Devlog posted:

(Toady One) Bugs unbugged:

Animals that can escape from cages no longer brought by traders
Made reactions try to guess how their containers will be filled to stop problems with brewing large stacks etc.
Small coin stacks can no longer be stuffed into non-containers
Small coin stacks no longer pass through opponents
Properly recognized multiple embark minecarts of the same material
Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something
Increased default embark points to compensate for more default equipment (stepladder etc.)

Toady hates fun.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Excuse me, is there anything I can do for you sir? Would you like me to run you a bath?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Met posted:

Small coin stacks no longer pass through opponents

Didn't people try to launch coins from minecarts like a shotgun when they were first added? This should mean you can, unless there was a better way (I seem to remember cutlery but don't quote me on that).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jewel posted:

Didn't people try to launch coins from minecarts like a shotgun when they were first added? This should mean you can, unless there was a better way (I seem to remember cutlery but don't quote me on that).

Shotgun/cannon carts are great. I stuff mine full of either serrated discs or silver hammers, depending on how I'm feeling.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

probably the single best use of lead bars, imo. Spectacular railgun slugs.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Do objects propelled by sudden minecart stoppage pass through fortifications?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Jesus christ, I set my population limit to one. Why am I still getting wave after wave of migrants.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Strudel Man posted:

Jesus christ, I set my population limit to one. Why am I still getting wave after wave of migrants.

The strict limit or the soft limit?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Do objects propelled by sudden minecart stoppage pass through fortifications?

Yes, the trick is to get the objects flying out of the cart upon the sudden stoppage (usually the cart has to be going down a level when it hits the stop iirc). The minecart will fly through too if you send it flying at a fortification and there's an empty space (no floor) below the last square instead of a sudden stop.

code:
===[]X
= is track
[] is empty space/pit
X is the fortification

playing around with minecart kinetic weapons can yield some pretty cool things. With impulse ramps you can really cut down on power requirements, too. Impulse ramps will get the cart going faster than just a bunch of rollers can with no power requirements.

The real issue with minecart guns imo is that reloading can be a bitch and usually requires dwarf input at some point (as far as I know the only way to load a minecart with objects apart from liquids is when a dwarf does it manually; dumping from above doesn't work). I usually just opt to make my minecarts out of a very heavy material and use the carts themselves as the ammo. It's pretty easy to get them to return and fire again fairly quickly. Using the minecart through a fortification trick above the return system can be made proof against invaders pathing in that way, too.

The problem with that is sometimes an invaders gets sent flying into the return fortification (usually knocked in by the cart) but chances are they will be badly injured and/or killed by the second round of fire (when the returning cart runs over them again).

Then you've just got to worry about minecarts getting stopped up by the 10 invaders it is ramming through. Either more speed or a smaller kill zone solves that (but then there's some reduced lethality with the trap; answer is more carts). In one fort I had 10 tracks running parallel down a 5 tile wide hallway like so

code:
X=====[]X
X=====[]X
X=====[]X
X=====[]X
X=====[]X
et cetera
again = is track,
X is a fortification,
and [] is an empty space

Enemies have to navigate from the bottom to the top to get at the fort, trap is triggered by a pressure plate and the doors releasing the carts close again on a timer. Basically the first dude runs in and the whole squad behind him has to play Frogger (usually ends in blood and gore explosions).

e: you can automate carts getting filled with magma before firing but idk if that's worth it really... I haven't tried that before but I think I might in my next fort and see how it works out. Oh and also Masterwork adds in bladed minecarts for additional carnage.

tl;dr minecarts can be accelerated to relativistic speeds and explode invaders without the nuisance of having to refill them with ammo constantly.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 2, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

The strict limit or the soft limit?
? The one in d_init. I'm not aware of more than one limit...

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There have been multiple limits in d_init for like 10 versions.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Strudel Man posted:

? The one in d_init. I'm not aware of more than one limit...
40.xx has a strict limit. If you're playing masterwork then you're stuck with the 34.xx population limit, which is more of a "polite suggestion which routinely gets ignored by the teeming masses of cheesemongers appearing on the horizon."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GulMadred posted:

40.xx has a strict limit. If you're playing masterwork then you're stuck with the 34.xx population limit, which is more of a "polite suggestion which routinely gets ignored by the teeming masses of cheesemongers appearing on the horizon."
Well, there we go, I guess. Pity.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

atomicthumbs posted:

more wood than stone, less trade goods than wood, merchants leavin'

In my experience, *larch spikes* kill plenty of things when nestled in ten-spike groups at the bottom of a deep enough pit. Hth

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
Why does this work order for a nest box keep coming back after i've cancelled it in work order, job screen and at the craftsdwarf's shop

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Everyone in my fort has severe PTSD from watching naked mole dogs and trogs get savaged but the resulting active shooter situation tantrum only took out three dwarves so I'd say the new mechanics are alright.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I can no longer assign labors to dwarves, through either dwarf therapist or the in game labor settings. Any attempts are technically successful, but the labor immediately switches back to unassigned before my very eyes (when I hit enter over the labor in the in game menu, it flashes white before going back to grey)

I've saved and reloaded multiple times and still have the problem.

EDIT: nevermind, somehow autolabor got enabled in dfhack???

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Reclaimed a fortress and got a trade depot full of weapons, armor, and food. This poo poo rules.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Robot Randy posted:

Reclaimed a fortress and got a trade depot full of weapons, armor, and food. This poo poo rules.

Obviously this means you have to find a dragon that's taken over a pregen fortress and reclaim it with 7 dwarves with only military skills and equipment. :black101:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ninjewtsu posted:

EDIT: nevermind, somehow autolabor got enabled in dfhack???

This was reported as an issue in the LNP thread.

Also, dfhack is buildable and works with 40.14 so expect a release soon!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dug around in legends mode for a bit and discovered an absolute badass of a troll that's 460 years old and has 105 kills on other trolls. It's still alive and I'm looking forward to testing its magma resistance.

Such a great name too:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Obviously this means you have to find a dragon that's taken over a pregen fortress and reclaim it with 7 dwarves with only military skills and equipment. :black101:

Why kill the dragon when you can capture it? Don't think you can tame them, but you could get a breeding pair (if they fixed the bug), or just use its cage as a trap. I think they're normally trap immune, so you'll have to place cobwebs over the trap first.