Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The swords DO turn nasty stankwater into pure rose-scented mist, probably works on radioactive stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Murphy is hardly irrelevant as a muggle, considering that it's her skills that ended the big bad of Cold Days. Right time, right place, and right leveraging of gambits and available resources, and little, powerless her killed an immortal goddess.

Not to mention that most of the actual threats that Harry finds himself against are the very same baddies that Murphy has held her own against for much of the series. Ghouls, Denarians, and now Formorians are all things that she can hurt. Plus she pretty much soloed a warlock and his goons back in Aftermath. The superpower are way out of her league aren't people she's actually going to fight, and they're pretty mI hour of Harry's league as well.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mars4523 posted:

they're pretty mI hour of Harry's league as well.

Man, now that phones are ubiquitous, I'll need to get used to a whole new set of typos. I've got keyboard mistakes pretty much down, but when people do this stuff on their phones it's still kind of mysterious to me.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I think it should read "ML out" as in major league out

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Eh, I don't know. Harry just held Anduriel's assault off like it wasn't poo poo, and still had enough concentration/power left over to smack the Serial Killer Bigfoot with ice bullets. Then he deflected Lasciel's fire magic, twice, and then had enough energy left over to run back through the ice grinder maze to smash Serial Killer Bigfoot.

It was sheer exhaustion that wore Harry down at the end of Skin Game, not the actual enemies he was facing. If Butters had fumbled the sword grab, Molly showing up seconds later and loving everyone's poo poo up would have been just as awesome of an ending to the battle.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Speaking of Molly and the Carpenter's house:

I wonder if the angel's that watch the property will bother her as she becomes more fae like? Goodman Grey was working for Harry and part of the team yet they still intimidated him enough to prevent him from entering.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I really hope Goodman comes back soon. I really want to know about his Rent.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Speaking of Molly and the Carpenter's house:

I wonder if the angel's that watch the property will bother her as she becomes more fae like? Goodman Grey was working for Harry and part of the team yet they still intimidated him enough to prevent him from entering.

Which is odd, because all sorts of bad poo poo has wondered onto the Carpenter's property.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OptimusWang posted:

Which is odd, because all sorts of bad poo poo has wondered onto the Carpenter's property.

I can't think of a time that's happened when the angels were there.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

OptimusWang posted:

The only inconsistency I can think of is the gruffs from Small Favor and the Fetches from Proven Guilty. The later might have been an exclusion because Molly summoned them in the first place but, the former has some explaining to do.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

OptimusWang posted:

Mortals can do it any time they wish, and I think Faeries can also do it provided they obey the usual threshold restrictions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Azuth0667 posted:

The only inconsistency I can think of is the gruffs from Small Favor and the Fetches from Proven Guilty. The later might have been an exclusion because Molly summoned them in the first place but, the former has some explaining to do.

Didn't the angels only show up after Michael was hurt?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Clinton1011 posted:

I think it should read "ML out" as in major league out
I... honestly don't know how that happened.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jivjov posted:

As the series has gone on though, its become a legitimate concern. Harry is going toe to toe with entities that could literally evaporate Butters or Murphy on the spot. This can be compensated for by clever writing and never letting the lower powered characters end up in a direct confrontation with a creature like that...but it really can't be handwaved away as not-a-problem.

On the other hand Harry himself mused that a lot of the supernatural world hadn't cottoned on to just how much firepower regular old humanity can bring to bear in the modern age. Harry himself has problems whenever real military ordinance comes into play, and the only thing that keeps it from coming into play more often is that he's often dealing with entities that are basically living fossils.

More than a few of Harry's enemies died to a simple bullet to the head.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Angels protect against spiritual enemies like the forsaken and the nagloshi. Both are artifacts of faith. Faerie is something entirely different.

Remember the Nagloshi are basically native American angels gone bad in the Dresden verse :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhymenoserous posted:

On the other hand Harry himself mused that a lot of the supernatural world hadn't cottoned on to just how much firepower regular old humanity can bring to bear in the modern age. Harry himself has problems whenever real military ordinance comes into play, and the only thing that keeps it from coming into play more often is that he's often dealing with entities that are basically living fossils.

More than a few of Harry's enemies died to a simple bullet to the head.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy involved a military strike against Outsiders or Faerie or something.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Azuth0667 posted:

The Gruffs never attempted to enter the house. Mortal property law extends to grounds and gardens. Magical power concerns itself with the building.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Rumda posted:

The Gruffs never attempted to enter the house. Mortal property law extends to grounds and gardens. Magical power concerns itself with the building.

Also the angels weren't even there yet. They get stationed there at the end of Small Favor. Also it's pretty clear that this isn't just magical law and thresholds and poo poo. In Skin Game Gray and the Denarians both refused to step foot on the property, and everyone treated the fence as a barrier between danger and safety. It's painfully apparent that the entire property is under protection.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 1, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Vegas chapter of the third Dresden Files RPG supplement "Paranet Papers" is available for free on DriveThruRPG. 50 pages long and I'm about halfway through, so far it's REALLY good. Very excited to get the full book.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/139271/Dresden-Files-RPG-Paranet-Papers-Vegas-Chapter-Early-Preview

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rumda posted:

No, the magical demarcation is the white picket fence surrounding the property. Hence the completely badass line Michael gets in Skin Game

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

No, the magical demarcation is the white picket fence surrounding the property. Hence the completely badass line Michael gets in Skin Game

That scene is amazing the oh poo poo factor that hits Nic is hilarious too. Its a huge turn of events from Death Masks where everyone is hanging on by the skin of their rear end to deal with the denarians.

In my reread of the series I'm noticing something really obvious; Mab is the embodiment of the saying "overkill never fails." Loyd Slate betrays her so she tortures him for years in a horrific setting, the Red Court pisses her off repeatedly so she sends her knight that happens to erase them from Earth, the denarians burnt her keep and violated her accords so she killed the only person one of their leaders trusted and stole the prize they were after. At the end of Skin Game Harry pissed her off in front of another signatory so I wonder what sort of retribution we'll see from that.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 4, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Any thoughts on what Molly's got going on, using a cell phone and all? Even Harry can't do something like that if I'm remembering right.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Any thoughts on what Molly's got going on, using a cell phone and all? Even Harry can't do something like that if I'm remembering right.

She's farie, yo. They can use technology.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Wizard/technology thing isn't a hard and fast rule of magic. Harry mentions how older wizards had other problems instead. It appears to be a (fairly forced) limitation of wizards that evolves as the times progress.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ImpAtom posted:

The Wizard/technology thing isn't a hard and fast rule of magic. Harry mentions how older wizards had other problems instead. It appears to be a (fairly forced) limitation of wizards that evolves as the times progress.

No, wizards all always have the same side effects from magic. What that side effect actually is changes every couple of centuries. But it's always the same for everyone.

The problem is that Molly isn't a wizard, or even human anymore. Which he already knew. But that does drive it home in a way that he can't ignore.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stroth posted:

No, wizards all always have the same side effects from magic. What that side effect actually is changes every couple of centuries. But it's always the same for everyone.

My reading was that tech messes up unless it's older stuff, but "older" is liked to the wizard instead of being a hard rule. Harry is kinda behind the times in many ways, and that shows through what he regards as old enough to be reliable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

My reading was that tech messes up unless it's older stuff, but "older" is liked to the wizard instead of being a hard rule. Harry is kinda behind the times in many ways, and that shows through what he regards as old enough to be reliable.

That's how the RPG does it, sorta.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Now that you mention it, I'm probably remembering the RPG and not the novels.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

From the Q&A at Comicon, hexing is entirely due to the wizard's power level, not their age. So a strongly magical 20 year old will short out a smart phone faster than a weak 120 year old.

Molly using a cell phone freaked Harry out because it was the most visible reminder that Molly isn't human anymore that he's seen.

Hexing (old school spoiled milk or more recent shorting out tech) is a physical manifestation of the contradictory nature of humanity, compared to the fixed nature of most non-humans.

(Hexing is also a plot device to prevent Harry from using a cell phone because it solves too many problems too easily.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 5, 2014

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I still think the fact that Molly can use technology should be a dead giveaway to Michael & family. They know wizards can't use cell phones and they know Molly was his apprentice, therefore the fact she is currently able to make a phone call on a cell should be a red flag to everybody who knows anything about the supernatural.

^ Edit: you beat me by a couple minutes, but I think you and I agree. A human practitioner should not be able to use technology, while a fairy presumably can (not sure if I remember specific cases where fairies use phones or anything).

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 5, 2014

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I would assume that Molly hasn't used her cell in front of her family. The earliest mention of Molly I can remember is her changing in the treehouse because the clothes she liked to wear wouldn't fly with her conservative Catholic mom. That is to say, Molly being good at hiding things from her family is pretty explicit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, I'm pretty sure Micheal is putting pieces together after seeing the Molly statue in Hades's vault.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Don't forget that electronics being fried by wizards if they sneeze in their general direction was explained from Harry's perspective, a man who has to concentrate not to blow up studio lighting.

While it's unlikely that mortal wizards are able to use cell phones, Molly's talents have always been way above average when it comes to the subtle stuff. She may have learned to protect a palm-sized object from herself with or without her fae powers (not to say that's what happened but it could pass for an explanation with her family).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

While Harry certainly drew the conclusion that it meant that Molly wasn't especially human any more, there are other explanations possible.

Harry has been able (with limited success) to shield technology from his magic before, and Molly has always been a lot better at that sort of fine control than Harry.

Or maybe she got the svartalves to knock together a magic-proof phone for her. Dunno if that's possible but if anyone could do it, they could.

Just saying it wouldn't be the first time this series has used this sort of misdirection.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A market for svartalve-made cell phones and home computer systems would effectively remove wizards from the rest of the world.

Just look at what regular cell phones/etc. do to people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stroth posted:

The problem is that Molly isn't a wizard, or even human anymore. Which he already knew. But that does drive it home in a way that he can't ignore.

No, Harry mentions in one books that different wizards have different problems. It's technology but the technology they can use changes. IIRC he specifically mentions Ebeneezer has difference things from him.

Regardless, the point is that magic isn't what fucks up electronics, it's specifically something wizard-related.

mistaya posted:

(Hexing is also a plot device to prevent Harry from using a cell phone because it solves too many problems too easily.)

Yeah, this. If Harry could use technology than half the plots Butcher depends on wouldn't exist.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ImpAtom posted:

No, Harry mentions in one books that different wizards have different problems. It's technology but the technology they can use changes. IIRC he specifically mentions Ebeneezer has difference things from him.

No, he doesn't. He says centuries ago Wizards caused milk to spoil, flame to burn different colors, had warts, or heterchromia. He didn't say older Wizards have different problems.

Basically being a wizard acts to permanently ostracize them from mainstream human society. I hope we find out why this is at some point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

No, he doesn't. He says centuries ago Wizards caused milk to spoil, flame to burn different colors, had warts, or heterchromia. He didn't say older Wizards have different problems.

Basically being a wizard acts to permanently ostracize them from mainstream human society. I hope we find out why this is at some point

I'll find the exact quote but he mentioned that the technology wizards are able to function around depends on their power and age. He says it when discussing the technology he feels comfortable with. That's in addition to the milk spoiling/ect stuff.

Again, it's pretty unimportant because it's about wizards, not about magic, so Molly using a cell phone means she isn't suffering under wizard limitations anymore.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
poo poo, Molly is curbstomping Winter fae in her sleep and going around ripping up poo poo that Maeve was letting slide. She's fine, if no longer exactly human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I would be super happy if harry just said "Molly is awesome" and let her decide what she wants/needs. She's come a long way from teenager in danger.