Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The bottom line is if you really like Flash you should also check out Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I literally started watching Arrow entirely because Flash was going to happen in the same universe.

I do not regret my choice, Arrow is really good despite some weak episodes here and there (which every series has, anyways), and Flash has been great too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kin posted:

While the Arrow is pretty good it still has a tiny bit of a Smallville feel to it. I don't know how to pinpoint it, but it's definitely there while i really don't feel it as much in The Flash.

Maybe it's everyone looking ridiculously pretty or the excessive shirtless scenes or some of the hammy relationship stuff that's persisted from season 1. I dunno.

I know exactly what you mean. I think it's that Arrow wants you to take the interpersonal drama WAY more seriously.

Flash looks like candy and everyone seems kind of self-aware and amused by the premise. Everything about it is slightly absurd, and everyone kind of embraces it in this fun-loving way.

It's hard to film a scene pregnant with human drama when a man named Snart aims a cold gun at you.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kin posted:

While the Arrow is pretty good it still has a tiny bit of a Smallville feel to it. I don't know how to pinpoint it, but it's definitely there while i really don't feel it as much in The Flash.

Maybe it's everyone looking ridiculously pretty or the excessive shirtless scenes or some of the hammy relationship stuff that's persisted from season 1. I dunno.

To be honest I feel that the Flash has quite a strong Smallville feel to it, much more than Arrow. The Flash is a decent show so far however, and it's got a lot more depth than Smallville and is obviously not as restricted by its premise but still - it's not that far removed.

I have been impressed how much action and special effects have been in each episode of the Flash given what must be a pretty low budget. It will be interesting to see if every episode will be able to sustain a similar amount of action because that is definitely one of the main attractions of the show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was really on the fence about this show especially with the whole 'Wheelchair Doctor is the puppetmaster' thing, but the freeze gun episode is nuts. I really like all the uppercuts and jumping around Flash did in the scene where he first meets Wentworth Miller, and this train rescue scene is just INSANE for a TV show and really well done.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 31, 2014

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Too many Smallville haters itt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mastajake posted:

Too many Smallville haters itt.

Too many lovely Smallville episodes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Too many insane people feeling a Smallville vibe from Flash when they couldn't be more different.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Not enough people like me who never watched smallville and has no baseline and therefore never bring it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

Too many insane people feeling a Smallville vibe from Flash when they couldn't be more different.

This guy gets it. The Flash is pretty much unlike any tv show I've seen. The closest thing I can compare it to is the first season of Lois & Clark.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

This guy gets it. The Flash is pretty much unlike any tv show I've seen. The closest thing I can compare it to is the first season of Lois & Clark.

Lois and Clark had some great camp. It was a generally fun show, as well. It was pre-Hercules, but fit that mold, as well. Good stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

Lois and Clark had some great camp. It was a generally fun show, as well. It was pre-Hercules, but fit that mold, as well. Good stuff.

Plus Teri Hatcher.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It benefits a lot from Arrow already getting past the point where it was embarrassed it was a superhero show and embraces it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kdrudy posted:

It benefits a lot from Arrow already getting past the point where it was embarrassed it was a superhero show and embraces it.

That was by 1x08.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Plus Teri Hatcher.

I hear they're real spectacular.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That was by 1x08.

Oh yea it didn't take long, they got there quickly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I still can't believe we've had a show with earthquake machines and super serum katana wielding eye patch'd mercs and that show is the more grounded, subdued show. It's a great time for comics TV :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

I hear they're real spectacular.

At least one of those ain't true anymore.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bad Moon posted:

I still can't believe we've had a show with earthquake machines and super serum katana wielding eye patch'd mercs and that show is the more grounded, subdued show. It's a great time for comics TV :allears:

Have you seen what John Barrowman has done on that show? There is nothing subdued about his performance. I'm surprised that the sets don't have giant bite marks in them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barrowman is going to be on Talking Dead on the next episode. He might behave himself... who knows.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rocksicles posted:

Barrowman is going to be on Talking Dead on the next episode. He might behave himself... who knows.

Has he ever?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Drifter posted:

I dunno, The Cape had some fun with Superheroes. It was bad in a fun way. I can't really complain too much about a show that had Vinnie Jones playing Killer Croc with the serial numbers shaved off.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Holy SHIIIIIIIIT this show is GOOOOOOOOOD

The train scene had me legit cheering, that's the coolest superhero stuff anybody's ever done on a TV show. I also clapped my hands like a little girl when Barry and Felicity kissed :neckbeard:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrakkorzog posted:

I dunno, The Cape had some fun with Superheroes. It was bad in a fun way. I can't really complain too much about a show that had Vinnie Jones playing Killer Croc with the serial numbers shaved off.

Rejoice! Vinnie Jones is joining the cast of Arrow as Brick!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Narcissus1916 posted:

Alan Sepinwall at hitfix had a fun review of the show, but I agree with him that the show could hit problematic waters if the writer really picture Iris as anything other than a crush that Barry has to grow out of.

The problem with Barry and Iris is that Gustin and Patton have no chemistry, but that might be because Johns hates Iris.

Also we better get loving Jack Knight if we are going full on Justice Society.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Guys, is it accurate to say Arrow is modern age, flash is bronze age? Not silly enough for silver, but not as loving grim as today?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys, is it accurate to say Arrow is modern age, flash is bronze age? Not silly enough for silver, but not as loving grim as today?

There is going to be a talking Gorilla. Nothing says silver age like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xealot posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I think it's that Arrow wants you to take the interpersonal drama WAY more seriously.

Arrow wants you to take everything way more seriously really, relationships included. I've enjoyed Arrow after marathoning the show over the last week or two, but I'm really hoping that this show skips over a lot of the melodrama that Arrow practically bathes in at times. The fact that Iris has had her relationship with Eddie discovered after only 3 episodes with Joe taking it in stride rather than exiling his daughter or something makes me hopeful in this regard thankfully, because that aspect of Arrow really is the worst part of the entire thing and drags it down a lot in my opinion.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
This show is so silver age, the only thing missing is a transformation centric episode or *choke* *sob* every other page.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's interesting that people mention relationship drama and assorted melodrama as a problem yet comic books are chock loving full of both. I guess many of the show's fans may not be comic readers but that sort of stuff is part and parcel of the genre.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
While watching the first episode of Arrow when it was premiering and seeing Oliver just flat out kill his kidnappers to keep his secret with really no remorse, I knew it was something special. Anyone who feels that Arrow or Flash is like Smallville AT ALL is suffering from sustained PTSD and should think about getting help.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LorneReams posted:

While watching the first episode of Arrow when it was premiering and seeing Oliver just flat out kill his kidnappers to keep his secret with really no remorse, I knew it was something special. Anyone who feels that Arrow or Flash is like Smallville AT ALL is suffering from sustained PTSD and should think about getting help.

That scene was intense as poo poo, everything about it was amazing. The , setting, the fight choreography, the score, that scene hooked me so hard.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zoux posted:

It's interesting that people mention relationship drama and assorted melodrama as a problem yet comic books are chock loving full of both. I guess many of the show's fans may not be comic readers but that sort of stuff is part and parcel of the genre.

Well in my own case I haven't read much in the way of comics in about 6 or 7 years at this point, having dropped them for monetary reasons a while back and just never feeling the desire to go back due to the various downsides of western cape comics. I barely remember any melodrama honestly, though I may just have been reading the wrong/right comics or have simply forgotten it over time since it's one of the less interesting parts of any given story to me in most cases. I may also simply have grown more intolerant of it over the years for that matter. The problems with Arrow have also been rather exaggerated beyond how most would find them in my case as well I would imagine given that I watched several episodes a day in many cases, where if I was watching one a week I would have time to digest the melodrama more between episodes. That said I still think Oliver is a bit of a tool, which is unlikely to change by the looks of things where at least Laurel may finally get to be more than a drama bomb this season, even if I'm not a fan of the method by which they're doing it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Barry Allen is a much less retarded tool of a character than Ollie, yes. Without a doubt.

Ollie, by himself, is an entire Mexican soap opera.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Well Ollie is absolutly more obviously damaged then Barry which makes their characters unique.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

Barry Allen is a much less retarded tool of a character than Ollie, yes. Without a doubt.

Nope, no evil twins have shown up on Arrow yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Drifter posted:

Flash:Superman::Green Arrow:Batman

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LorneReams posted:

Well Ollie is absolutly more obviously damaged then Barry which makes their characters unique.

I don't think this is true, because Ollie's problems don't really stem from his time on the island so much as his attitude towards how he approaches the whole vigilante deal. He's absolutely convinced he has to keep secrets from literally everyone despite the fact that it's ultimately hurt people again and again while his family and friends have been repeatedly telling him to stop doing it, to no avail. He's even given his mother poo poo on occasion for keeping things secret and never apparently realized the irony, or if he did, never gave it any real thought. He's also convinced he has to be as alone as possible for no real reason. You could put this down to trust issues he developed during his years away, but he doesn't really appear to have problems actually trusting people, just convinced telling them will place them in more danger despite the fact not telling them has regularly resulted in them being in danger, danger they may have been able to avert, or at least prepare for if they'd been aware of things.

I wish there was more fallout from his time on the island in the form of problems integrating back in to regular society and what have you, but honestly, the only example of it I can recall in the entire show so far is him attacking his mother after she walks in to find him asleep on the floor of his room, with rain blowing in the open windows on top of him because he presumably couldn't go straight back to a normal bed following it. Which happened in the pilot episode.

It's not really surprising that he didn't have much trouble following his time on Lian Yu though I guess, given that he appears to have had quite a bit of company there to keep him sane, constant training and goals to keep him going day to day and lots of equipment from the various sites so that he never really lacked for shelter, food and so on.

Comparing Barry to him, Barry doesn't seem to want to keep secrets despite Joe's orders or to be alone, actively pushing to form a team that'll help him and giving them pep talks - so it would appear the show will be be blowing through a lot of that kind of poo poo as quickly as possible. It may form it's own share of melodrama in other ways, but the fact it's setting itself up as a more fun show would seem to indicate otherwise at least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 31, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xelkelvos posted:

Flash:Superman::Green Arrow:Batman

I'm seconding the motion that the DCW Universe needs to have a Justice Society happen in it. Bring in Wildcat! That'd be a natural fit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm seconding the motion that the DCW Universe needs to have a Justice Society happen in it. Bring in Wildcat! That'd be a natural fit!

Wildcat is already being introduced to Arrow this season. No idea if there's plans to introduce any of the other Justice Society members like Doctor Midnite, Hourman and so on however. I doubt it though, given that the shows have so far suggested heroes are a new phenomena and Wildcat appears to be just a boxer who'll train one of the characters to fight and not a boxing focused hero who trains a lot of the new blood.

• Locked thread