Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chamale posted:

Tinker is banned in Legacy, but it is honestly so good that Vintage delver decks sometimes play their 1 Tinker alongside 1 Blightsteel Colossus.

It was just a joke referencing a movie title :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

It was just a joke referencing a movie title :ssh:

It's a book title :ssh:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Wicked Wall posted:

New player question: What was the deal with slivers? I understand that they were a sort of swarm-flavoured synergistic series of cards that were all about boosting other slivers, but were they actually good? Was there a period at all where sliver decks were stomping around standard like T-Rexes?

Considering how seemingly bad they seem to be individually and being sprayed around all of the colours, I'm inclined to think not? But it would be interesting to hear from more experienced players.

Here's a guy who really, really* loves his Slivers EDH deck explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYRQyBV263c

*foiled drat near everything + wooden deck box? yeah, I think he likes that deck

jassi007 posted:

He mentioned it earlier, Soul Sisters with Norin the Wary.

I like punishing forge using that deck in mirror matches.

While probably not ideal for Actual Magic games I make room for 4 Archangels

and 3 Abzan Battle Priests

because I like to make my CPU burn

By that point each combat step on the AI's turn is taking about a minute with the cpu core pegged and it takes a few minutes to run through the triggers each time a creature enters the battlefield on my side.

I've been thinking of trying these out too, but they're probably even more "win more" than the archangels + priests

Thanks suicidsteve, I like this deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

MisterOblivious posted:

Thanks suicidsteve, I like this deck.

My favorite "What have I done?!" moment happened when I attacked with so many guys (100-something; I really went off) that it took me 5 minutes to add all the Norin triggers to the stack. I've since learned to cast a spell before attacking or just press F7.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I remember when I entered a tournament with a 250-card Battle of Wits/Cephalid Breakfast deck. I then reanimated my Necrotic Ooze, flashed back Open the Vaults, and then lost to the timer as I took 20 minutes trying to put the triggers on the stack.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I support all efforts to break Magic Online

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A big flaming stink posted:

There was a Standard deck at one point that used Primal Surge, Craterhoof Behemoth, Wild Beastmaster, and Infinite Reflection to deal something like 4444 damage in one combat step. I think that one crashed MTGO if it ever went off successfully.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chamale posted:

I remember when I entered a tournament with a 250-card Battle of Wits/Cephalid Breakfast deck. I then reanimated my Necrotic Ooze, flashed back Open the Vaults, and then lost to the timer as I took 20 minutes trying to put the triggers on the stack.

Did they not have the "stack triggers automatically" function then?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Did they not have the "stack triggers automatically" function then?

There were a lot of triggers that required me to make decisions. It was a stupid deck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
With bloodstained mires being around 10.50 shipped from Amazon, polluted deltas being around 14, wooded foothills being around 11.50, windswept heaths being around 13, and flooded strands being around 14, isn't there someone here who either toxxed, or practically toxxed that it wouldn't happen?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I had a deck on MTGO once that had a tendency to win from the opponent timing out rather than the main win condition. It wasn't a good deck, mind you, and the timeout thing really wasn't the intent of the deck, but it just sort of happened that way. I don't remember all the details, but it was basically the Turbo-Fog deck that was briefly possible around two or three years ago. It involved Rites of Flourishing, Temple Bell, Timely Reinforcements, Fog, and other stall cards like that. This was not a deck that planned to win quickly; the win condition was to make the opponent draw his entire deck, with one or two Elixir of Immortality keeping me from decking along with him.

The thing is, MTGO (at least the previous version) had a tendency to really tank its performance if too many permanents were on board at the same time... which this deck really encouraged from both sides what with all the card draw, playing lands, and vomiting out Soldier tokens. As the game ground on, you could tell people were taking longer and longer to go through their turns. After a while it could take minutes just to tap mana. Basically, any opponent that had a worse computer than mine would just end up timing out.

I feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat for even playing the deck in the first place, but I guess since it never went outside the casual room at least people could concede if they really hated playing against it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

kizudarake posted:

With bloodstained mires being around 10.50 shipped from Amazon, polluted deltas being around 14, wooded foothills being around 11.50, windswept heaths being around 13, and flooded strands being around 14, isn't there someone here who either toxxed, or practically toxxed that it wouldn't happen?

People are dumb about mtg finance stuff. I'm no businessman but even I knew what fetch prices were going to do with this set, it's basic supply and demand. Same reason I'm holding off on buying any zendikar fetches until the spring set to see if they actually get reprinted. I traded locally with a guy a few weeks back who was giving people extra value in trades for any khans fetches he could get ahold of because he insisted that they would be back up in the $60 range in a few months. He was pretty smug about how smart he apparently thought he was. I laughed inside while giving him rabblemasters at their peak for expensive modern staples.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its always hilarious to run a singleton Stain the Mind in a black deck. People never actually expect that you're going to rip all of their Siege Rhinos or whatever.

Then again, I'm a big proponent of running singletons of weird cards to mess with people.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

People are dumb about mtg finance stuff. I'm no businessman but even I knew what fetch prices were going to do with this set, it's basic supply and demand. Same reason I'm holding off on buying any zendikar fetches until the spring set to see if they actually get reprinted. I traded locally with a guy a few weeks back who was giving people extra value in trades for any khans fetches he could get ahold of because he insisted that they would be back up in the $60 range in a few months. He was pretty smug about how smart he apparently thought he was. I laughed inside while giving him rabblemasters at their peak for expensive modern staples.

I'm trading out of my Zendikar fetches right now, surprised I found a taker for my Verdant Catacombs. Debating if I want to shift my Marsh Flats, BW is my thing and even if I don't brew something for them in modern, I might like them handy for standard. Not crazy about the art though, a dead dragon in a marsh might look better.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Probs be a living dragon hanging out in a marsh, if they do it.

kizudarake posted:

Nah, What a Judas declared with majesty that he wouldn't let them go under ten, but I don't think he toxxed himself. Honestly not as bad as McMagic jamming in the thread for page after page about how Sorin was a bad card though, just kinda silly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXG5rNe_tI

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Applebees posted:

Here's the rule.

Huh. Well, I lost a game I shouldn't have, then. Good to know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kizudarake posted:

That isn't the bottom.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I'm wondering if Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills will get around $5. I'm not going to claim superior knowledge of anything but I'd put decent odds on that and the rest being under $10 at some point soon.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

toadee posted:

I'm wondering if Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills will get around $5. I'm not going to claim superior knowledge of anything but I'd put decent odds on that and the rest being under $10 at some point soon.

I think the knowledge that they will be eternal playable until the end of time will keep them all at $10 pretty much permanently. No one's going to let them go for $5 unless they're really desperate, when they know they can just wait and sell them for more later.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I think the knowledge that they will be eternal playable until the end of time will keep them all at $10 pretty much permanently. No one's going to let them go for $5 unless they're really desperate, when they know they can just wait and sell them for more later.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the "worse" (read: not really played in Standard) fetches at $7 or $8 - that's about where shocklands have settled with a similar level of Eternal demand. $5 is a bit of a stretch, but I think sub-$10 is quite plausible.

The fetches that actually see real standard play probably won't go below $10-$12.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jabor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the "worse" (read: not really played in Standard) fetches at $7 or $8 - that's about where shocklands have settled with a similar level of Eternal demand. $5 is a bit of a stretch, but I think sub-$10 is quite plausible.

The fetches that actually see real standard play probably won't go below $10-$12.

Which fetches would those be because I've seen all of them in multiples In a variety of decks
The one I've seen the least of is Windswept Heath.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

lsv: look what i did
lsv: to the game
lsv: for value

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

Its always hilarious to run a singleton Stain the Mind in a black deck. People never actually expect that you're going to rip all of their Siege Rhinos or whatever.

Then again, I'm a big proponent of running singletons of weird cards to mess with people.

I ran slaughter games mainboard when I was playing murdergoats just because you could guess a decklist 95% of the time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

"gently caress you Birthing Pod, a deck in a format where I'm not even legal."

VV: gently caress how did I forget about Sneak and Show, I love that deck.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 31, 2014

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Gets Show and Tell, Sneak Attack and a little bit of Dredge doesn't it?

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Serperoth posted:

drat that's a hateful bear

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

Gets Show and Tell, Sneak Attack and a little bit of Dredge doesn't it?
Also reanimator, green sun's zenith, tinker, and oath. Doesn't stop omnishow though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Wizards please stop printing cards that do bad things to the decks I like to play

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Serperoth posted:

Holy poo poo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Also, full decklists and the card image spoiler are out:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/commander-2014-edition-decklists-2014-10-31

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

Wizards is finally listening to my warnings about Deadeye Navigator. Also RIP my own Deadeye deck :v:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
So much for the theory that they'd reprint the full cycle of Commands (or any other valuable reprints for that matter :v:). Looks like none of these should be bought out hard like the True-Name Nemesis deck was unless the Dualcaster Mage ends up being the new hotness.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's a good day for Death and Taxes! Again!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Did anyone post this image that's been floating around? I just love the short narrative.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Boo to the white deck not having Batterskull. Yes I have a playset, and yes that includes two of the cool GP promo, THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

Serperoth posted:

Also hits Undying and Persist, if Murderous Redcap or Kitchen Finks see Legacy play.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I wonder if that Sneak and Show hoser will see much play. Death and Taxes already has a great matchup between Karakas Thalia and Revoker and I doubt SnS is what's holding Maverick back. Don't see any of the white control decks running that card when they have access to permission and more flexible hate.

Maybe that shitball soldiers list becomes solid tier 1.5?

Hell Sneak and Show has barely been winning.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The red deck comes with GOBLIN WELDERRRRRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Well, no Batterskull for Nahiri BUT they did give us Skullclamp! So they intended for her +2 to read "draw 2 cards" after all!

Edit: FFS did we really have to have Cyclonic Rift in the blue deck? That card should be banned.

• Locked thread