Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CatsPajamas posted:

Does anyone else have a better strategy than this? Just between Fi and Agitha you need ~40 of them for all badges, and I can't recall off the top of my head if any other characters need them as well.

Jesus Christ, that's obscene! Like, obviously it should be a bit rare to get the high level badges, but that's a gently caress of a lot of grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I was looking for lists like this for awhile and didn't see anything, so I decided to make these myself. The following lists tell you what captains/bosses/unique characters appear in the shorter levels of Adventure mode, separated by type: defeat the giant bosses, defeat all enemies, kill X enemies in Y minutes, and quizzes. All of these are doable in less than 10 minutes, and in many cases much less than that. They follow the labeling convention in the Prima Guide where the rows are A through H starting with A at the top and the columns are 1 through 16 with 1 being on the left, so A1 is the top left square.

- Defeat Giant Bosses:

Adventure:
Argorok - B11 (+1 Manhandla)
Manhandla - C10, E2
Imprisoned - H3
King Dodongo - C6, F4, F14, G7, H13 (this one has 3 of them)
Gohma - B12, G10
Ganon - B6 (with Gohma and King Dodongo)
There was another one I didn't note down because it was just one each of Gohma, Imprisoned, and Argorok, it's somewhere on the far right.

- Defeat All Enemies:

Adventure:
A13 - Imprisoned + 2x mini-Imprisoned, 2x Shield Moblin + 2x Dinolfos, Fiery Aeralfos + Ruto + Lana
C4 - Darknut + Stalmaster, 2x Dark Agitha, Icy Big Poe + Agitha + Midna
C8 - Moblin + Icy Big Poe, Stalmaster + Dark Agitha, Stalmaster + Volga + Dark Agitha
D2 - Big Poe + Icy Big Poe, 2x Icy Big Poe, Stalmaster + Big Poe + Icy Big Poe
D10 - Dinolfos + Darknut, Dinolfos + Dark Ruto, Dinolfos + Aeralfos + Ruto
D12 - 2x ReDead Knights, Wizzro + Big Poe, ReDead Knight + Fiery Aeralfos + Volga
E16 - 2x ReDead Knights + Fiery Aeralfos, Wizzro + ReDead Knight, Fiery Aeralfos + Volga + Argorok
F13 - ReDead Knight, ReDead Knight + Big Poe, 2x Lizalfos + ReDead Knight
G1 - 2x ReDead Knight + Fiery Aeralfos, Volga + ReDead Knight, King Dodongo + Fiery Aeralfos + ReDead Knight
G6 - 2x Dinolfos + Darknut, 2x Aeralfos, Imprisoned + 2x mini-Imprisoned
G13 - 2x mini-Imprisoned + ReDead Knight, Volga + ReDead Knight, Imprisoned + 2x mini-Imprisoned

- Kill X enemies in Y minutes / Rack KO Count maps:
Note: These are pretty good for murdering the playable cast since they all seem to have significantly lower health than they would in any other mission. Giant bosses tend to go down easy, too, or can just be ignored if you're feeling pressured for time.

Adventure:
A1 - 4x Imprisoned, Lizalfos, Cia, Zelda, Ganondorf, Link
C12 - 2x Manhandla, Icy Big Poes, Darunia, Sheik, Ruto
D3 - 2x Manhandla, ReDead Knights, Midna, Agitha, Lana
D6 - 2x Gohma, Moblins, Zant, Volga, Wizzro
D14 - 2x King Dodongo, Gibdos, Link, Lana, Impa
E4 - 3x King Dodongo, Aeralfos, Lana, Sheik, Fi, Link
E8 - 2x Gohma, Lizalfos, Darknut, Moblin
E11 - 2x Gohma, Stalmasters, Ruto, Darunia, Sheik
F11 - 2x King Dodongo, Darknuts, Dinolfos, Lana
G2 - 3x Gohma, Fiery Aeralfos, Ghirahim, Fi, Link, Zelda
G4 - 3x Manhandla, Dinolfos, Lana, Impa, Link, Zelda
G12 - 3x Manhandla, Stalmasters, Dark Impa, Dark Sheik, Dark Zelda, Cia
H8 - King Dodongo, Big Poe, Lizalfos, Darknut

- Quizzes:
Notes: The correct answer is listed first in each pair, barring any screwups. In quizzes, it is possible to get the drop from the incorrect enemy, but only if they're a playable character, not a captain. I assume this is because the PCs are flagged to drop items both when killed and when retreating, like they do in some Legend Mode maps, whereas captains are never flagged to drop items when retreating. For the incorrect enemy to drop their item, it seems to work best if you are near them when the correct enemy dies and if the incorrect enemy is on screen when the correct enemy dies. The easiest way to ensure this is to weaken the correct enemy, then switch lock-on to the incorrect one and then finish the job.

Adventure:
A5 - Ganondorf/Ghirahim, Zelda/Lana, Link/Impa
A15 - Ruto/Fi, Agitha/Ruto, Ganondorf/Midna
B2 - Zant/Ganondorf, Impa/Agitha, Zelda/Darunia
B10 - Lana/Midna, Lana/Wizzro, Midna/Lana
B13 - Darunia/Impa, Sheik/Ghirahim, Ruto/Sheik
C5 - Aeralfos/Big Poe, Moblin/Lizalfos, Lizalfos/Aeralfos
C11 - Big Poe/Aeralfos, ReDead Knight/Shield Moblin, Sheik/Link
E13 - Ruto/Darunia, Impa/Sheik, Darunia/Ruto
F6 - Agitha/Zelda, Agitha/Ghirahim, Midna/Zelda
F8 - Darknut/Moblin, Stalmaster/Darknut, Moblin/Darknut
F9 - Moblin/Darknut, Big Poe/Darknut, Shield Moblin/Moblin
G15 - Lizalfos/Aeralfos, Wizzro/Volga, Cia/Lana
H4 - Aeralfos/Lizalfos, Shield Moblin/Fiery Aeralfos, Big Poe/Moblin
H6 - Ghirahim/Midna, Moblin/Stalmaster, Fi/Ruto

Master Quest:
G12 - Lana/Midna, Lana/Wizzro, Midna/Lana
F14 - Aeralfos/Big Poe, Moblin/Lizalfos, Lizalfos/Aeralfos

I'll probably do the same thing for the Master Quest map, but it's gonna take me longer to complete that since I'm only like 10 squares into it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Finally got to Zelda's lv 2 Baton mission. Made the mistake of trying to do it using the Baton :lol: time to reread this whole thread!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Finally got to Zelda's lv 2 Baton mission. Made the mistake of trying to do it using the Baton :lol: time to reread this whole thread!!

Using the Baton is the correct choice. Always go with the recommended element.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did it with the baton. It's way easier than most of the stuff I'm struggling with now, anyway. I don't know how you'd do it except with the baton or with two players.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My problem with the baton is that it roots you while you're attacking, which leaves you more vulnerable to enemy counterattacks and also slows you down. Meanwhile the rapier is super speedy and allows for an aggressive playstyle that can really easily shut down enemy captains just by a basic BBB combo.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The main trick to doing that mission with the baton is prioritizing which enemies to fight when, and also making sure that you don't get surrounded by Captains, high morale units, and/or Volga. Also, don't forget that even though your combos will root you in place, you can still dodge cancel out of your weak attack strings at any time. Just to avoid using combos while fighting strong enemies and whittle them down with weak attacks and weak point smashes.

Step 1. Kill the Outpost Leader near your starting position and then kill the Rogue Forces Captain who's advancing on your position.
Step 2. Head north and kill the Messenger who's heading to the west side of the map. Try to avoid killing any of the dudes who are accompanying Volga when you pass him, because that will draw his attention to you earlier than you want.
Step 3. Kill Wizzro. If you take too much damage fighting him, exit the mission and try again. You want to avoid fighting both him and Volga together if you can, but it's still possible to take on both of them at the same time if you're careful. Just avoid Volga as best you can while focusing down Wizzro.
Step 4. Head to the hallway that leads into your base, then turn and face the oncoming horde.
Step 5. Spam YYX (BBY). It will cover basically the entire hallway and prevent anything from getting past you. This will let you grind down Volga, the Rogue Forces Commander and the high Morale units that will try and push their way into your base.
Step 6. Now that Volga and the Rogue Commander are dead, you're pretty much in the clear. Make sure that nothing got into your base, clear it out if something did slip past you, then go around knocking over keeps and getting your KO count up to around 1000-1100.
Step 7. Head up north and kill that other Messenger who's been stuck on the wall for the entire mission.
Step 8. Go kill Girahim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone have a good route for Agatha's L3? My current strat:
--Poke the Lizalfos in front of me a little until I get the message of others moving for the keep.
--Intercept those guys at Cia. She can take Zelda alone, but with the Lizalfos she tends to get into trouble and they don't always run past her.
--Head to the alliance base just in time to smack Ganondorf and the Lizes around there.
--Clean up any mission-critical Lizzes who haven't made it there yet. Usually happens near the middle bridge.
--Manhandla sprout hunt. Spring, boomerang, move on.
--Head for Link's keep. Ideally I can intercept some packs near the middle bridge and get up to 1050 KOs or so.
--Defeat Link, getting over 1200 in the process.

With a 5-star +Light +Lightning +ComboIII umbrella I finish in about 13:30, but there's a lot of Liz fighting and my lowest damage taken is 12,000. It keeps getting lower, but I'm curious if anyone's found another route that ideally has less danger. Zelda can rip me apart if she gets a hit in, but I need to clear the Liz from Cia so I donno what to do to avoid her.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CatsPajamas posted:

Does anyone else have a better strategy than this? Just between Fi and Agitha you need ~40 of them for all badges, and I can't recall off the top of my head if any other characters need them as well.

As far as killing Imprisoned quickly goes, it's probably best to use a character that can destroy the toes immediately and from a distance. You have plenty of options for that, including Ruto's strong attack waves, Ganondorf's C6 combo, Agitha's C3 beetle summon, etc. With Ganondorf especially, it's pretty easy to time it so that the combo knocks out all the toes as soon as they're vulnerable again (which seems to be after the 6th red pulse from when it stands up), instantly knocking it down again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just got Agatha's L3 with 1280 KOs, 12:54, and 7700 damage. BBY-dodge-repeat and caution paid off.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I've had level 99 Network Links show up and not even tried, but maybe I should if killing a captain could be two levels like that. What level was the character you tried my L74 with?

I used Impa, she must've been around 35 when I started. Didn't realize the levels were such a big thing until I ran into those near invincible Dinolfos.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In all fairness I can see why it would suggest the baton with all of the Fiery Aerolfos and Volga, but Wizzro is just such a dick on that stage that it's worth trying out the Rapier. Hell I didn't even use the level 3 one, just a normal level 2 Rapier. Got it in the first try with it since he was the only thing that was loving up my A rank.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I wish we straight up got to use every weapon on every character :(

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I think the secret to Agitha's LV3 is to not try and kill Zelda when she's fighting Cia. Instead just run into the green circle to heal her and drop a couple specials on Z.

Even then though I'm not sure that saves enough time, since Link takes at least 12 guard breaks to kill, and you can't break it in one combo because Agi attacks so slow. Maybe I should just park her in the upper left corner and just let Big Daddy G wreck this level.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Ah, but you CAN break Link's weak point in one attempt. You just gotta juggle Link.

Use BY (or whatever the way to write one light attack followed by one heavy attack), to toss a bundle of butterflies out of your basket. Tossin' butterflies is good for juggling guys. I found that when I managed to juggle Link by throwing butterflies at him twice, it'd break the weak point. You just have to do the second combo before Link lands. If you can pull it off, you'll successfully break the weak point.

Once I realized juggling would help there I was able to kill Link faster and succeed at the level.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

Ah, but you CAN break Link's weak point in one attempt. You just gotta juggle Link.

Use BY (or whatever the way to write one light attack followed by one heavy attack), to toss a bundle of butterflies out of your basket. Tossin' butterflies is good for juggling guys. I found that when I managed to juggle Link by throwing butterflies at him twice, it'd break the weak point. You just have to do the second combo before Link lands. If you can pull it off, you'll successfully break the weak point.

Once I realized juggling would help there I was able to kill Link faster and succeed at the level.

Huh. Gonna have to try that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

W.T. Fits posted:

The main trick to doing that mission with the baton is prioritizing which enemies to fight when, and also making sure that you don't get surrounded by Captains, high morale units, and/or Volga. Also, don't forget that even though your combos will root you in place, you can still dodge cancel out of your weak attack strings at any time. Just to avoid using combos while fighting strong enemies and whittle them down with weak attacks and weak point smashes.

Step 1. Kill the Outpost Leader near your starting position and then kill the Rogue Forces Captain who's advancing on your position.
Step 2. Head north and kill the Messenger who's heading to the west side of the map. Try to avoid killing any of the dudes who are accompanying Volga when you pass him, because that will draw his attention to you earlier than you want.
Step 3. Kill Wizzro. If you take too much damage fighting him, exit the mission and try again. You want to avoid fighting both him and Volga together if you can, but it's still possible to take on both of them at the same time if you're careful. Just avoid Volga as best you can while focusing down Wizzro.
Step 4. Head to the hallway that leads into your base, then turn and face the oncoming horde.
Step 5. Spam YYX (BBY). It will cover basically the entire hallway and prevent anything from getting past you. This will let you grind down Volga, the Rogue Forces Commander and the high Morale units that will try and push their way into your base.
Step 6. Now that Volga and the Rogue Commander are dead, you're pretty much in the clear. Make sure that nothing got into your base, clear it out if something did slip past you, then go around knocking over keeps and getting your KO count up to around 1000-1100.
Step 7. Head up north and kill that other Messenger who's been stuck on the wall for the entire mission.
Step 8. Go kill Girahim.

I tried this, but even when I left my base free of enemies when I went to kill Ghirahim, my base still got taken before I could beat him. How frustrating. That commander Fiery Aeralfos takes forfuckingever to kill.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
And with the addition of juggling (and leaving Zelda alone after healing Cia) the mission gets steamrolled. Huh. Thanks for the advice HJE.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I tried this, but even when I left my base free of enemies when I went to kill Ghirahim, my base still got taken before I could beat him. How frustrating. That commander Fiery Aeralfos takes forfuckingever to kill.

There are high-morale Moblins that come from Ghirahim's base that rush straight for your base. Make sure to take them out on your way to fight Ghirahim. They always took the eastern path down for me.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Flytrap posted:

And with the addition of juggling (and leaving Zelda alone after healing Cia) the mission gets steamrolled. Huh. Thanks for the advice HJE.

Glad to help! It took me several attempts to finish that mission too, I also ignored Zelda and healed Cia. But juggling Link cuts down the number of times you need to get him to reveal his weak point, so it's definitely helpful.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
My friend had been playing without me recently (:colbert:) and had a lot of weapons built up, so I made some sweet combined ones. The best is a ** Bow-Wow with seven slots and Strong Attacks 2&3, Slots+, Stars+, Exp+, and Rupees+. Actually a lot of our characters now have at least one strong weapon type with Stars/Slots and maybe Rupees or Exp. I didn't play after making all of them but I am excited to be a loving efficient poopsock goon next time we have a marathon.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

I wish we straight up got to use every weapon on every character :(

When I first saw Zelda use Link's sword I was hoping to see all kinds of crazy mix-ups in Master Quest. It was pretty disappointing when it turned out was mostly just Zelda, Shiek and Impa using Link's sword and Zelda and Shiek using each other's weapon.

At the very least they could've given Ghirahim Fai's moveset.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So after all the teeth gnashing of Agitha and Zant's LV3's, I go to Girahim... and curb stomp the level first try.

Whelp, now all that's left is the LV3 Baton, Fairy, Hammer, and all of Lana's LV3's (I never use her).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still have 15 weapons to get. :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still have 25 weapons to unlock to unseal the Master Sword. That's assuming the DLC characters' weapons don't count, though; if those also need to be unlocked, then bump it up to 31. :shepicide:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I still have 25 weapons to unlock to unseal the Master Sword. That's assuming the DLC characters' weapons don't count, though; if those also need to be unlocked, then bump it up to 31. :shepicide:

They don't.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zertoss posted:

There are high-morale Moblins that come from Ghirahim's base that rush straight for your base. Make sure to take them out on your way to fight Ghirahim. They always took the eastern path down for me.

This, plus getting the level 2 magic armor, helped me A rank this one. Now to get the heart piece and container that I neglected!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, after Agatha/Zant Girahim's L3 was easy. Just 2 weapons to go, Darunia and Lana's summoning circle.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lana's L2 summoning circle mission is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Fix posted:

Lana's L2 summoning circle mission is annoying the poo poo out of me.

I got stuck on the L3 mission myself, found combos too long and annoying, just started spamming strong attack. Maybe try that? I tried doing the L2 one the old fashioned way, but I found that spamming summons was funnier. If your Lana is at a decent enough level, it shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has anyone finished the illustration depicting Cia, Volga, Wizzro, Ghirahim and Zant? I'm still missing one piece.

I think it's somewhere on the top part of the map. The only Skulltulas that are left are either in the top two rows of the map or in the southeastern corner. There are four down there and I believe they complete the illustration showing Darunia, Ruto and Sheik, so the one I'm looking for is probably somewhere in the death mountain area of the map. Does anyone know where exactly? The Skulltulas I still need to get in that area are on squares A2, A3, A6, A8, A12, A16, B3 and B4 (these are all the second Skulltulas in each mission by the way).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Having played OOT forever ago, I'm not remembering a dragon. This stuff on the wiki about Volga being the human form of a dragon boss from that game is a smokescreen to hide that he's just Lu Bu, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

Having played OOT forever ago, I'm not remembering a dragon. This stuff on the wiki about Volga being the human form of a dragon boss from that game is a smokescreen to hide that he's just Lu Bu, right?

How can anybody forget the great Whack-a-Mole dragon of the Fire Temple?!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Captain Walker posted:

It's Volvogia from the Flame Temple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eumgH9Srq3U

E: Got this game a couple of days ago and can't stop playing it. Adding a bunch of you suckers. My NNID is TheJibo

Jibo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 31, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Manhandlas are just awful. They are the complete opposite of fun to fight against. What's the best strat to make them go down fast?
I've been staying up close and blocking but the gas attack and spazzing out attack will get me. If you stay well-back do you have enough time to run up and use the boomerang when he's vulnerable?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

The_Frag_Man posted:

Manhandlas are just awful. They are the complete opposite of fun to fight against. What's the best strat to make them go down fast?
I've been staying up close and blocking but the gas attack and spazzing out attack will get me. If you stay well-back do you have enough time to run up and use the boomerang when he's vulnerable?

There's your problem.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The_Frag_Man posted:

You don't really have to be close to boomerang it, as long as you're locked on it'll pretty much hit all his heads no matter where you are.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The_Frag_Man posted:

Stay mid-range, so you can hit all of the stalks when they chomp at you, and dodge to the side and around the seed attack (or block it? I never use block) and then boomerang.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, staying too close will get you mowed over when it starts zinging across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fix posted:

Stay mid-range, so you can hit all of the stalks when they chomp at you, and dodge to the side and around the seed attack (or block it? I never use block) and then boomerang.

You can block the seed attack with literally no consequence.

• Locked thread