Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

it helps to know how to pull monsters in crawl, and its more important in branches like lair, where a lot of dangerous things spawn in groups and the layouts are fairly open. if you see an enemy you want to fight, you can kite it a bit and fight in an area you know is safe. if you run towards an enemy in the open you will probably end up fighting multiple things at once. a single death yak on lair:8 is killable by most characters by that point, but a pack of them generally isn't. so if you can lure them off one by one, its always a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

p sure you can poison hydras. anyway the point is to soften them up before you whack em.

i think for players the only thing that can do this is poison arrow and maybe some special artifacts (staff of olgreb?). unlikely to have that spell at that point in the game.

other ranged weapons are good against hydras though. they have awful defenses, including 0 ac, so even the weakest attacks will damage them a bit.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

EvilMike posted:

i think for players the only thing that can do this is poison arrow and maybe some special artifacts (staff of olgreb?). unlikely to have that spell at that point in the game.

other ranged weapons are good against hydras though. they have awful defenses, including 0 ac, so even the weakest attacks will damage them a bit.

Yeah chucking javelins at them is a good idea.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

EvilMike posted:

maybe they changed it, i used to gently caress hydras up with blowguns

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

You can still use non-poison needles like paralysis on them, but they've resisted poison as long as I've been playing which is since 0.9

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
e: ^^^ hi lessens :)

Parallax Scroll posted:

weird special needles like sleeping or paralysis or frenzy (!!!) will work more-or-less fine (though frenzying a hydra sounds like a hilarious/extremely memorable play), though it'll require some luck or throwing investment to get past their HD

but hydras have been rPois for at least the last eight years.

code:
MONS_HYDRA, 'D', LIGHTGREEN, "hydra",
M_RES_POISON | M_AMPHIBIOUS,  // because it likes the swamp -- bwr

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Would using (now defunct) needle of sickness on the hydra stop their regen? Did those even do that?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

guess i'm misremembering. also blowguns use throwing? didn't know that

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

guess i'm misremembering. also blowguns use throwing? didn't know that

Yes, it affects delay and the effectiveness of needles.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Would using (now defunct) needle of sickness on the hydra stop their regen? Did those even do that?

...yes, apparently.

what a ridiculous needle brand.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what is the most fun ranged/spellcaster class a bad roguelike player can do in dcss

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I was probably thinking of the old curare needles that were hella good

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

Eonwe posted:

what is the most fun ranged/spellcaster class a bad roguelike player can do in dcss

I have no idea what's the most fun but the most popular ranged classes I see are Centaur Hunter and Deep Elf Fire Elementalist. I'm trying to get a Gargoyle Wizard up to the point where his resistances help me with an all-rune run but the early game is really frustrating.

I hear Venom is a good time, and I thought about trying a Necromancer.

Also some of the little setpieces or easter eggs in this are really good. I just came across the spriggan baker one.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I play vampire fighters so I can be a vampire from underworld

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Wizard

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Eonwe posted:

i'm bad at everything except melee and i still had a fairly easy time getting a fire elementalist going. worship vehumet and he'll make your life easier.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

conjurer might be easier for a new player, your spells have good range and its easy to spam magic dart if you pick a race with lots of mp. fire elementalists are good but one of their main spells is melee range. same with ice elementalist.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

this is bad advice!!!

yeah I'd second the recommendation for cj. I'm personally fond of tengu conjurer but you must make your own choices

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

this is bad advice!!!

yeah I'd second the recommendation for cj. I'm personally fond of tengu conjurer but you must make your own choices

it used to be good but of course I haven't played a wizard in like 3 versions. I like Tengu Cj FE and AE right now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i, a man who has never collected more than one rune or even won, have gotten as far as i have with mibe's/hill orc jesus's etc with a conjurer. typically deep elf does better early game but high elves are way better in the later early game when you can invest in some fighting and short blades. iirc with enough armor skill the lighter armors dont have any casting penalty. same with shields if you want to take it that far.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i tried a DDEE of makhleb and was doing pretty well compared to how i usually do with mages. i got to lair 7 and tried to use greater servant of makhleb for the first time and it was hostile so i died

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Swelter Discharge posted:

i tried a DDEE of makhleb and was doing pretty well compared to how i usually do with mages. i got to lair 7 and tried to use greater servant of makhleb for the first time and it was hostile so i died

lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

what came out

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

should I 15 rune this ghgl because I got a rod of clouds and with qazlal it owns

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

what came out

a blizzard demon that helped the elephants and death yaks kill me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

a blizzard demon that helped the elephants and death yaks kill me

:rip:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

accurate representation of what I just did to shoals:5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQD2w4HU3jw

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got a scroll of acquirement and asked for armor and got a +2 buckler of protection. Welp.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
searing ray is actually really good, drat

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Saki posted:

searing ray is actually really good, drat

yeah

Zodar
May 21, 2007

never got a DD anything past Lair until today. then I found a vampiric battleaxe that let me tab through V:5 & Z:5, and a Dragon King armour (plus a better axe and some resist gear) that let me tab through Slime, the Abyss, all five Pan runefloors, and Cocytus.

turns out torment is still strong enough to ruin you when you've got crazy AC/EV/resists though, got killed by a pair of brimstone fiends in Gehenna when I warped away from Asmodeus. loving torment

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I punched out all the mummies in tomb tonight.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

dying on zot 5 is a bad feel

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress orb spiders

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:agreed:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

RIP, to those who died.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

gently caress orb spiders

They have crap MR so just zap them with wands. I might be crazy but I feel like slowing works more often than others.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm at the entrance to the Swamp for the first time, at level 13. Is it too early for me to go exploring in there?

I'm a Hill Orc Berserker, main weapons are +3 Hand Axe and Battleaxe, +2 Battleaxe of Flaming and a blowgun/bow for ranged. On the defensive side, +2 Plate and a buckler of protection, and rings of Poison and Negative Energy resistance.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Aston posted:

I'm at the entrance to the Swamp for the first time, at level 13. Is it too early for me to go exploring in there?

I'm a Hill Orc Berserker, main weapons are +3 Hand Axe and Battleaxe, +2 Battleaxe of Flaming and a blowgun/bow for ranged. On the defensive side, +2 Plate and a buckler of protection, and rings of Poison and Negative Energy resistance.

Don't do the Lair branches when you first find them. Do the rest of Lair, then Orc, then the Dungeon down to level 15 first. Also your flaming battleaxe is much better than that hand axe, take off your buckler and use it, but get Axes to 20 skill ASAP so you can use it most effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Thanks for the tips. Sadly I only made it down another 2 levels of Lair when I uncovered 2 hydras, 2 fire drakes and a hell hound which finished me off after I'd escaped to the level above.

• Locked thread