Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I got a box full of wire for my AISS gift last year plus a bunch of other really useful trim tools and electrical supplies, thanks Bulk Vanderhuge!

On the other hand, I also got a sweet Red Air Force propaganda poster too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Today's lunch was brought to me by AMRAAM.
Celebrating 25 years of blowing poo poo up.

I'm stuffed.
Today has been a good day.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Oddly enough, until two years ago I owned a prosthetic leg. You make me regret pitching it.

Perhaps a homemade leg. Axel shaft and a brake disc would probably work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm going to fill their aiss gift full of relays, random poo poo, and maybe some kind of beer. Or something cool. I can't wait!

Man that'd be great. Just a big ol box full of junkyard poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I still have kastein's bottle of vodka. the Tmix lasted about 37 hours. hahaha

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man that'd be great. Just a big ol box full of junkyard poo poo.

Isn't that the spirit of AI? No that's just being generic. It depends on who I get as a my santee really. I just hope they are 21.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You guys piqued my curiosity and I went and read the YOSPOS:SS thread just to see the gifts.

I lost it when I got to the Dreamcast full of mealworms. I mean, that's the best-worst gift in all of recorded history.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BraveUlysses posted:

The Freeper thread makes up for the rest of the subforum

The Ferguson thread's pretty alright if you ignore all the pundits and just read the stuff from Neo Duckburg and other people actually in town.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Welcome to our new moderator, CreppyMonkey. I always hated that other guy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CharlesM posted:

I, uh, :stare:

IOC, what happened? Who is this poopy primate?

E: Oh, I see. Moderator (or, in this case, IK) roulette. Spoopy.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 31, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

So wacky. :rolleyes:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friend of mine has an 05 Ion (no, I was not involved in this purchase).

She's really bad about checking the oil. Even though it blows blue smoke.

Welp, it died on the highway the other day. It would start, but make terrible noises and shut off pretty quick.

Got it towed. Only oil in the engine is the 2 quarts she put in at AutoZone the other day (I couldn't talk her into checking the dipstick, or to asking an employee to check it for her). It holds 5. Lots of metal shavings came out with it.

The shop gave her a very much "gently caress you, we don't want to work on this" price of $6,000 to replace the engine. It's a mid-level 05 with nearly 150k, and L61 Ecotecs are more common than kastein laying under random Mopar products in a junkyard - they were THE 4 cylinder GM used in a ton of poo poo from the late 90s until they added variable valve timing to it in 07 or so.. I told her she either needs to make friends with a good mechanic (hey 14", she's only an hour north of you :quagmire:) or junk it.

So since my blood sugar has been all over the goddamned place, I blew through a month's worth of strips in a week. After lunch, it was around 260, and I was all set to take a glyburide, but I left it at home.

Tested 15 minutes later. 60. :stare: Wait a minute, if it was that low I'd be drat near comatose. Used my last test strip, back into the 200s. Bad strip I guess.

I have some that are supposed to be delivered today from Amazon, but it went USPS, so it'll likely go to the wrong house as usual (half our mail has "WRONG ADDRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" written on it and shows up a few days late), but I kinda need to check it a lot sooner than that. Got raped at Wal-Mart paying $15 for 25 strips - I pay $25 for 100 from Amazon. I can buy 200 strips from Amazon for only a few dollars more than what Wal-Mart charges for 50.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You have to buy your own work clothes as a store employee?

By (federal, I think?) law, if it's something you couldn't normally wear outside of work - i.e., you're working a meat counter and have to wear a hat/hairnet/beardnet, or you have to wear a shirt with a company logo or advertising, or a company apron with a logo, then they're required to supply it. Supposed to be free, and they can't legally withhold your last paycheck if you don't return the uniform, but I see deposits charged on uniforms all the time (and checks withheld).

Lots and lots of places - especially restaurants - make their employees buy their own clothes. One of my roommates worked at one of the big chain restaurants (one owned by Brinker, which was a huge restaurant company at the time) wanted a very specific shade of red shirts, and it was out of the employee's pocket. They'd tell their employees to buy a white polo shirt, and what color of RIT dye to buy. Also had to buy their own receipt books (the little plastic booklet they bring your receipt to you in). The restaurants typically get those for free or close to free from their credit card processor.

If it's something you can wear outside of work, they can make you buy your own work clothes. Ironically, Wal-Mart doesn't seem to stock the shirt I need, I had to go to Kohl's to get it. And when it rang up at the wrong price ($4.99 instead of $21.99), I was pissed that I got the last one in medium. It's not a color I'd normally wear, but it's a shirt I can definitely wear outside of work.

I'm gonna order some cheap collared shirts from Amazon. They did say it doesn't matter if they're long sleeve, short sleeve, button up, or polo-style, as long as they have a collar and are "dark green". Supposedly the neighborhood market employees will be getting some kind of vests soon, much like the normal Wal-Mart vests (just green instead of blue).

Downside to neighborhood market (I don't know if I bitched about this or not, meds are still skullfucking my memory) - at a normal WalMart, you can wear black or khaki pants. At neighborhood markets, it's khaki only. I have 1 pair of khaki pants that aren't expensive slacks (they're Dickies), but I own 3 pairs of black Dickies. They did say employees could wear skirts or skorts though. :getin:

Still not sure when my official start date is, but I "graduated" training today. In fact, I was the only one in my class to graduate today. The class started out as 6. It was 3 today. The other 2 guys didn't finish the computer based training in time, and I barely finished it before they closed (2am).

I'm still in shock over the benefits. The employee discount sucks (doesn't work on groceries), but there's a stock purchase plan, a 401k with 100% matching up to 6%, vacation/sick/etc days, you can view your schedule online (and trade shifts online, even call in sick online). This is even for part timers - I'm at 32 hours, which most companies consider full time, but WM considers full time to be 34. I'm going to see if they'll cut my lunch down to 30 minutes - I work 4 days a week, and that would put me right at 34 scheduled hours a week. There's nowhere to eat open at the time I'd be taking my lunch anyway (around 2am), so I'd probably just grab a microwave dinner or a premade sandwich. I don't plan to take out their medical insurance as long as I can keep the plan I have now, the only benefit to being considered full time is I'd get some of the other benefits sooner.

Viggen posted:

Almost every used SAAB that I've owned has had enough lotion wear to take the imprinting off of the signals on the stalks. This is at a 70:30 percentage of male:female (Architects seem to love their "lotion" :stonklol:).

I think this is more of a GM thing. I don't wear lotion, but the lettering is almost completely gone from the turn signal stalk on my car. Same with the imprinting on the (drivers side) power window switches. I did find some absolutely disgusting buildup on the stalk though :barf: - pretty sure I took the rest of the imprinting off cleaning that poo poo off.

They looked brand new when I bought the car 2 years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 31, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I had that discussion with my management as well. The night shift universally offered to wear kilts if it meant not having to wear business casual slacks while going up and down ladders and crawling around on datacenter floors chasing cables in 110 degree heat.

We got shot down.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Attempted to connect up a vehicle battery, spend ages cursing a clip that was refusing to fit onto the battery post.

I was trying to connect the battery up the wrong way round :downsgun:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren: NEW ROADKILL :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWHOAeutel

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

freelop posted:

Attempted to connect up a vehicle battery, spend ages cursing a clip that was refusing to fit onto the battery post.

I was trying to connect the battery up the wrong way round :downsgun:

Be glad you didn't succeed! That would have been one expensive fuckup.

Ask me how I know. That was the day I learned the difference between a Group 24 and Group 24F battery.

Unavailable. :saddowns:

Episode 33 (which I haven't seen yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxYrdQjQuNE
Episode 34 (brand new, it's mostly outtakes apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWHOAeuteI (looks like you had 1 letter lowercase instead of uppercase)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 31, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Raluek posted:

What.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mmmm, wagon burnouts. One of these days I will own a wagon and I will do many, many burnouts in it.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

goatse guy posted:

I'd be terrified of what kind of weird gifts I'd receive based on my post history.

I would send you all manor of glorious things, and there a possibility I would send flowers with a never stop posting card.

And dog toys.

Elmnt80 posted:

Mmmm, wagon burnouts. One of these days I will own a wagon and I will do many, many burnouts in it.

FWD wagon burnouts aren't as much fun.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I feel so old. I have zero Halloween plans besides getting drunk and watching scary movies all night.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I feel so old. I have zero Halloween plans besides getting drunk and watching scary movies all night.

:respek:

Actually, I'm visiting my family this weekend. But probably still getting drunk and watching movies.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CharlesM posted:

Well poo poo at least he has a positive post count.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Im going to the bar down the street to get drunk in my Stitch costume if you want to stop by. I have an afro wig you can wear for a costume.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Tonight is one of the few nights I don't go out.... I'm a loser or I just don't like the amateur hour drinkers.

Yep. Amateur drinkers is what annoys me the most.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Well poo poo at least he has a positive post count.

That's a plus, but... Who the hell is s/he? Has anybody actually seen a CreppyMonkey post?

edit: based on post history, CM is primarily a PI poster? Whaaaaaaa??? :stare: :ughh:

double edit: This has to be a trick, Halloween and all..

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 31, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

IOC ended up in D&D. That's gotta blow.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You look like an angry MtF tranny in this photo, it totally rules.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tommychu posted:

IOC ended up in D&D. That's gotta blow.

Maybe this is some sort of bizarro-world modding that's going on where the subforum that a subforum likes the least is subject to its moderator going to that subforum? In our case, IOC modding D&D.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

alternate.eago posted:

I would send you all manor of glorious things, and there a possibility I would send flowers with a never stop posting card.

And dog toys.

The last time I got flowers, the card attached read, "gently caress you." I don't know if, "Never stop posting," could top that.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My Halloween plans involve going out for pizza with an ex-boyfriend.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Yeah, I don't think never stop posting could top that. Maybe a "deepest sympathies" edible arrangement consisting of mostly chocolate?

I have no Halloween plans, and god help anyone who knocks at my door, in my lovely rear end neighborhood, its getting answered with a shotgun in hand.

I didn't buy candy, and my front porch light doesn't work, and there are no sidewalks to my house anyways. There are also numerous keep out and no trespassing signs. So if you miss them, and aren't expected then you deserve to get greeted by the gun. The neighbors car got broken into recently, so we have been stepping up security.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 31, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of my coworkers dressed up today as Santa Claus. I think it'd be hilarious to set up the front end of your house as Santa's Village, and have elf helpers walk the kids through a giant queue to tell Santa what they want for Christmas.

As they progress through the queue, it has a Disney-style twist back and forth so they can't really see where they're going to end up, and the decor gets more and more run down as it approaches its terminus.

At the end they round a corner and inside a darkened room lit only by ambient backflash from lights shining through the house's window is a gaunt, bruised Santa sitting atop a throne of skulls.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'll be sitting on an airplane or wandering around Chicago O'Hare during trick-or-treat hours so I'll only have to deal with workers dressed up and the occasional crazy who decides to travel in costume. I really hope I don't return to another flat tire.

Evil Santa would be a pretty decent Halloween costume just to mess with kids.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

alternate.eago posted:

Yeah, I don't think never stop posting could top that. Maybe a "deepest sympathies" edible arrangement consisting of mostly chocolate?

Save the "deepest sympathies" arrangements for if I ever get knocked up, or for when I turn 30.

I live in a studio apartment with no exterior door, and I really can't say no to an evening of pizza and Subaru chat. There is no facet of life that cannot be improved by pizza.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Save the "deepest sympathies" arrangements for if I ever get knocked up, or for when I turn 30.

I live in a studio apartment with no exterior door, and I really can't say no to an evening of pizza and Subaru chat. There is no facet of life that cannot be improved by pizza.

Was that a Daria reference?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I work 2nd shift. Planning on heading downtown after work and trying to get a window seat at a bar, order a drink, and people watch for a couple hours. Should be a good time.

I've always been fantastically lazy dressing up/costuming for halloween.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

One of my old neighbors wants me t go bar hopping with her and her BF. I suppose I could throw all my work clothes on and go as Bob the Builder.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

One of my old neighbors wants me t go bar hopping with her and her BF. I suppose I could throw all my work clothes on and go as Bob the Builder.

I realized yesterday that some in-laws from Canada gave me a light beige suit with a pink shirt... so I'm grabbing my aviators, greasing up my hair, and going as a coke dealer.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Off to a birthday party.
There was supposed to be a theme of tv and film characters but I didn't go as a costume so I'll be "generic background character from a modern day show"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think I'm going to show up in my normal street clothes and see if people assume I'm the Terminator again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Just live in Salem MA for a few years, and you'll be cured of the desire to do ANYTHING for Halloween except shut off the lights and close the curtains.

• Locked thread