Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Learn to embrace voice-typing.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Yeeeeah. Android voice typing is actually usable, and sometimes even good.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Can anyone give their experiences with the 2014 moto X and battery life? That is my principal hangup that is leaving me to wait and see how the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo shake out. Some anecdotes about total time away from a charger w/ some screen on time would be nice.

Moto X
+Price
+Looks
+Moto customizations
-Battery?
-Camera (though this is neutral if it takes quick-focusing pics. Just gotta snap my kids)

Nexus 6
+Nexus
+Battery (maybe, TBD)
+Camera
+looks, for being a huge phone
+Cross carrier compatibility (tbd, need clarification)
-Size
-No Moto customizations (though maybe not? Reviews need to detail what the active alerts and voice commands can do)
-Price

Droid Turbo
+Battery
+Specs
+Moto customzations
+Capacitive buttons for some reason
-Fugly
-Price
-Maybe camera?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Turnquiet posted:

Can anyone give their experiences with the 2014 moto X and battery life? That is my principal hangup that is leaving me to wait and see how the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo shake out. Some anecdotes about total time away from a charger w/ some screen on time would be nice.

I have one; I usually get through a whole day (15-16 hours or so) off the charger with moderate usage (2-3 hours screen time).

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Turnquiet posted:

Droid Turbo
+Battery
+Specs
+Moto customzations
+Capacitive buttons for some reason
-Fugly
-Price
-Maybe camera?

The camera is acceptable. Probably not as good as what the Nexus will have, but this is a picture I took out of my building yesterday. Here's the lol hueg version if you want as well. Its miles better than the Droid Razr HD's camera was, anyway, which is my frame of reference.

Also, what about it is fugly to you? I think it's a pretty good looking phone.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cidrick posted:

The camera is acceptable. Probably not as good as what the Nexus will have, but this is a picture I took out of my building yesterday. Here's the lol hueg version if you want as well. Its miles better than the Droid Razr HD's camera was, anyway, which is my frame of reference.

Also, what about it is fugly to you? I think it's a pretty good looking phone.

The 'ghost' image of you imposed over the oncoming train that I can see in the HD version is fitting for Halloween. Thanks for this, it seems like the camera will be just fine for my needs as long as it is reasonably quick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, more serious post because I actually am considering buying a new phone:

Been using the old Motorola Droid 4 (with slide out keyboard!) and I'm used to it now, but the charging port is finally starting to go (it's at that stage where you have to press the cable just right for it to take a charge) and it's time to replace the thing. I'm with Verizon because family is with Verizon and changing carriers would be a pain.

I've read the reviews of the new Nexus 6 and it seems like my best upcoming option. Is there any scuttlebutt on it beyond the reviews I see on the tech sites? Any advance ideas on when it may be hitting carriers? I tend to assume the SA forum posters are clairvoyant wizards who usually manage to figure things out before the same info hits mainstream news outlets, but I don't know if that still holds true in tech or not.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, more serious post because I actually am considering buying a new phone:

Been using the old Motorola Droid 4 (with slide out keyboard!) and I'm used to it now, but the charging port is finally starting to go (it's at that stage where you have to press the cable just right for it to take a charge) and it's time to replace the thing. I'm with Verizon because family is with Verizon and changing carriers would be a pain.

I've read the reviews of the new Nexus 6 and it seems like my best upcoming option. Is there any scuttlebutt on it beyond the reviews I see on the tech sites? Any advance ideas on when it may be hitting carriers? I tend to assume the SA forum posters are clairvoyant wizards who usually manage to figure things out before the same info hits mainstream news outlets, but I don't know if that still holds true in tech or not.

Wait for both the Turbo and N6 to come to a Verizon store near you. Go in the store and play with each. Both phones are really good and any downsides you see here are just nitpicky goons being goons.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

IuniusBrutus posted:

Any idea when the release 5.0 images will be released for the N5?

As soon as N5 + whatever Nexus/GPe releases they want to bundle with it gets past the carrier approval step. The only devices with a timeline more specific than "some day in November" are the 2012/2013 Wifi Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 which have OTA rollouts starting on Monday.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why even bother offering them at all in their stupid Play Store, if they even limit a goddamn pre-order? If anything helps with inventory management, it's getting a list of customers ahead of time.

Seems like straight up logistics incompetence wouldn't be this elaborate, maybe its a solution to a bigger problem only they know.

bull3964 posted:

I just think it's too bad that the ambient mode on the N6 looks like a huge compromise. It shows more info when it goes off, but it doesn't "breath" after the fact so you have no idea you have any notifications unless you interact with the device.

This is a big con for me since at work or at home, I generally don't have my phone on my person and walk away from it quite a bit. I don't want to have to pick it up every time to see if I have a new notification.

Wait, why is this even an issue when you have a 360 strapped to your wrist which vibrates/lights up for notifications and affords an even greater distance away from the phone? Plus it seems too early to call, the examples in the dev changelog seem specific enough to imply that they've implemented them:

quote:

New interaction composite sensors are now available to detect special interactions such as a wake up gesture, a pick up gesture, and a glance gesture.

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/lollipop.html#Sensors

And this video of Ambient screen on a Nexus 5 running a hacked up N6 build seems to suggest it does have some sort of exponential back off with the first pulse timed just after the LED blink, and the second pulse happening just after two LED blinks (though can't say for sure since there was a bit of hand movement).
Also I'm confused since the proximity sensor trick 1st gen Moto X goons were talking about a week or so ago and the new IR sensor hardware the 2nd gen implies that even on Moto builds it doesn't just continuously flash on and off like emergency headlights 24/7.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I read he hasn't worked on Android directly in a while now, he's been more into the robotics stuff that Google has been doing.

Keep in mind that he didn't randomly leave Android, he was more or less pushed out because his desire to keep Android open/neutral was becoming a liability:

quote:

As the operating system gained popularity, every division of Google wanted to plant its flag on Android smartphones. Rubin closed Android’s ranks, and Google employees were fond of saying that it was easier to work with rival Apple than Android.

quote:

One person close to Google’s management team, who was not authorized to speak publicly, says Rubin’s reluctance to work openly with other parts of Google was responsible for the only shouting matches he’s witnessed in the upper ranks at the company.

In 2012, Google announced a version of Pichai’s Chrome browser for Android, which would replace the mobile browser Rubin had developed within his own group. It seemed a perfect model for friendly collaboration within Google. Yet the relationship between the divisions was so strained that they wouldn’t work together without a term sheet, a contract normally required between two companies that stipulated the responsibility of each side.

quote:

At the beginning of 2013, CEO Page told Rubin he had to integrate Android with the rest of Google. Rubin agreed at first, then changed his mind and decided he couldn’t do it. He resigned his position, though he remains at Google, working on a skunk works robotics project. A person close to Google’s management says that forcing Rubin’s hand was the most difficult decision Page has made since reclaiming the CEO spot at Google three years ago.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-24/googles-sundar-pichai-king-of-android-master-of-mobile-profile#p3

Robotics was an attempt to keep him on longer (which didn't work in the end).

Tunga posted:

Yeah, Rubin was moved to Google X and then later to the robotics stuff (which may or may not fall under the umbrella of X, it's unclear).

Rubin was never part of Google X, that's just what everyone assumed at the time before Robotics was unveiled due to the "moonshot" language they used to describe his next post. Robotics is definitely separate from X, the first public Robotics interview Rubin did confirmed it.

(Really you can't go wrong assuming everything at Google is a disparate effort until proven otherwise, even when they're part of the same division)

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

Also I'm confused since the proximity sensor trick 1st gen Moto X goons were talking about a week or so ago and the new IR sensor hardware the 2nd gen implies that even on Moto builds it doesn't just continuously flash on and off like emergency headlights 24/7.

The notifications flash on and off on some sort of schedule. Or you can force them to appear right now with a wave.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There is so much bitching on Reddit about the brightness of the Turbo's screen. I was just on a run and my brightness was pegged at 70% the entire time according to Lux and I could see it just fine outdoors. Do I need to get closer to the sun for this screen to not be bright enough?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FordPRefectLL posted:

There is so much bitching on Reddit about the brightness of the Turbo's screen. I was just on a run and my brightness was pegged at 70% the entire time according to Lux and I could see it just fine outdoors. Do I need to get closer to the sun for this screen to not be bright enough?

Try climbing a nearby mountain and see if the extra elevation ruins the screen.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
According to this article about Page, Android (as a part of Google) effectively started as a pet project of Page's and was a way for Page to prove to himself that he could learn to delegate/trust others to run a company. He was apparently pretty close to Rubin so having to knock him out like that probably was a legit tough choice.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm looking for a magnetic qi car charger that doesn't have clips, just holds the phone through magnets. I got a nexus 5 but I can't find a holder that is magnetic and is a qi charger, its either one or the other, not both. Whats the deal, anyone use one, know where to get one?

edit: is this the only one, best one?
http://www.theairdock.com/

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

r0ck0 posted:

I'm looking for a magnetic qi car charger that doesn't have clips, just holds the phone through magnets. I got a nexus 5 but I can't find a holder that is magnetic and is a qi charger, its either one or the other, not both. Whats the deal, anyone use one, know where to get one?

edit: is this the only one, best one?
http://www.theairdock.com/

I have an air dock from the kickstarter, and never use it. If you want one, PM me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I tried a combo like this guy (I got a different magnetic holder but same principal). It holds the Nexus 5 naked, but not with my diztronic case. Reading about the airdock, not sure if that would work with the diztronic case either. It says if you have a case it should be less than 2mm and glossy. The diztronic case is 1.44mm but it's matte, so I don't know how it would work.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

kensei posted:

I have an air dock from the kickstarter, and never use it. If you want one, PM me.

Why don't you want it, any problems with it? I don't have PM, can you email me, you did, thanks.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

Wait, why is this even an issue when you have a 360 strapped to your wrist which vibrates/lights up for notifications and affords an even greater distance away from the phone? Plus it seems too early to call, the examples in the dev changelog seem specific enough to imply that they've implemented them:

Mainly because I don't always have my phone on my person. At work, my phone sits on my desk, but I may leave my desk to go to meetings, go to the bathroom, go talk to someone else, etc. So, on a typical day, I'm out of range of my phone for a bit. So, if a notification came though while I was, I wouldn't necessarily know about it.

Home is a different thing. When I get home at the end of the day, the phone gets put down on the bookshelf on the Tylt Vu, the watch comes off, and I pickup my tablet. MOST people get a hold of me through hangouts, but there's still a few people that use texting that contact me. If I don't have some sort of visual indicator on the phone that I have a notification waiting for me, I may not notice a text for hours unless I make it a habit of interacting with the phone every time I walk by.

On a different note, here's confirmation that a N6 straight from Google will work for Verizon by doing nothing more than installing the SIM.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/31/nexus-6-working-on-verizon-out-of-the-box/

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Good to know the N6 works on Verizon even if they won't acknowledge that they'll carry the phone yet, let alone timing on availability.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Imaginary Baron posted:

Good to know the N6 works on Verizon even if they won't acknowledge that they'll carry the phone yet, let alone timing on availability.

Yes they have

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/17/yes-verizon-will-carry-the-nexus-6/

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6102470?hl=en&ref_topic=3415523

Taken from article posted

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

FISHMANPET posted:

I tried a combo like this guy (I got a different magnetic holder but same principal). It holds the Nexus 5 naked, but not with my diztronic case. Reading about the airdock, not sure if that would work with the diztronic case either. It says if you have a case it should be less than 2mm and glossy. The diztronic case is 1.44mm but it's matte, so I don't know how it would work.

The airdock kickstarter package came with a sticker with 4 metal discs embedded in it that matches the magnets in the airdock. With a softer case I'd just plaster that sticker on the inside and call it a day.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Did anybody who ordered the Turbo on VZW's website yesterday get theirs shipped? Mine is stuck on 'Processing order'?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
So I just got a 2013 Moto X, and while it was running awesome at first, it's starting to lag/overheat now after downlading 4.4.4. Is there any way to roll back to an older version, or am I just stuck hoping that Lollipop takes care of the problems?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hace posted:

So I just got a 2013 Moto X, and while it was running awesome at first, it's starting to lag/overheat now after downlading 4.4.4. Is there any way to roll back to an older version, or am I just stuck hoping that Lollipop takes care of the problems?

Are you sure it's not an app you're running? What shows up in the battery menu?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hace posted:

If you just got it, it's likely doing a bunch of one-time setup stuff in the background. Account syncing, etc. I've been using 4.4.4 since it came out and haven't had any such problems.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

Give it a day or two for all the Google services and background stuff to catch up. Generally it takes a day or two, and then you'll see the battery jump up a bit. This is true for all Android devices.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Step-aside-Sony-Xperia-Z3-the-Motorola-DROID-Turbo-is-the-new-king-of-flagship-battery-life_id62350

Phone Arena has crowned a new king of battery life. Turbo beat out the Z3 and Z3c, along with every other QHD phone for battery.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="437070074"]
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Step-aside-Sony-Xperia-Z3-the-Motorola-DROID-Turbo-is-the-new-king-of-flagship-battery-life_id62350

Phone Arena has crowned a new king of battery life. Turbo beat out the Z3 and Z3c, along with every other QHD phone for battery.

No Nexus 6 tests yet, I'm curious how it will compare.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

No Nexus 6 tests yet, I'm curious how it will compare.
Smaller battery, bigger screen. Don't get your hopes up.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="437070074"]

Tom's initial testing does dispute that a little, but YMMV with varying testing methodology.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/droid-turbo-battery-life,news-19846.html

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There was an update after the Tom's review that appears to have made my battery life a lot better.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Bob Log posted:

Tom's initial testing does dispute that a little, but YMMV with varying testing methodology.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/droid-turbo-battery-life,news-19846.html

No Z3/c on there, and O+O is the leader by like 4 hours? I'm going to choose not to believe that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Munkaboo posted:

Did anybody who ordered the Turbo on VZW's website yesterday get theirs shipped? Mine is stuck on 'Processing order'?

Mine is as well. I'm wondering if they're just slow at posting tracking info?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hace posted:

Even if you were rooted, it's impossible to roll back to any version prior to 4.4.4 because the bootloader got updated. Trying to roll back would brick your device. This is unfortunate only because, aside from Verizon, Motorola decided not to release the 4.4.4 firmware.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Even if you were rooted, it's impossible to roll back to any version prior to 4.4.4 because the bootloader got updated. Trying to roll back would brick your device. This is unfortunate only because, aside from Verizon, Motorola decided not to release the 4.4.4 firmware.

4.4.4 has been rock solid on my MAXX so I'm surprised there are issues with the X.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Hace posted:

Tried changing from dlavik to ART? Doesn't require root. Helped mine a ton with overheating

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Is there any way I can weasel a Turbo out of Verizon without being eligible for upgrade yet and being laughably unable to buy one outright? My girlfriends line says its eligible for early edge up and her line happens to be the one I stole an upgrade for to get my Maxx.

I have a day one Maxx and the battery is making GBS threads out and its got a few other minor problems and dear god I have a major crush on the Turbo.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Hace posted:

Lagging after updating to a new version of Android? It's an Android thing, do a factory reset and it'll run good as new.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Is there any way I can weasel a Turbo out of Verizon without being eligible for upgrade yet and being laughably unable to buy one outright? My girlfriends line says its eligible for early edge up and her line happens to be the one I stole an upgrade for to get my Maxx.

I have a day one Maxx and the battery is making GBS threads out and its got a few other minor problems and dear god I have a major crush on the Turbo.

Try getting a better job instead of trying to "Weasel" your way into a purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

So my N5 has a magical battery. For the past three hours it's been dipping to 3% and then climbing back up to 10%. Look at the end, it's down and back up a few times, with out being plugged in. Anyone want to explain to me what's going on?

• Locked thread