Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wamdoodle posted:

Jock and yolk sounds like a sexual act.

NOTHING BUT BALLS

e: One of the birds is a feathered dinosaur, excellent

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
From a few pages back, but:

Fawf posted:

Has Nintendo ever run out of Wii U refurbs before? I'm wondering when or if I can expect them to restock.

Nintendo's refurbs are now back in stock.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Speaking of refurbs, does anyone have an idea of how long after a console is launched that they start selling refurbs? I'm probably going to want a new 3DS, but definitely don't want to pay full price since I already have a 3DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It probably won't be for awhile. You could just sell your normal 3DS for a new one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
holy poo poo, I'm not even past the tutorial and Bayonetta is one of the most fun games I've ever played.

I liked W101 despite being crummy at it, but I didn't expect to love Bayo as much as I have been. WITCH TIME! BULLET CLIMAX! JUGGLING UGLY-rear end ANGELS LIKE THEY'RE NOT WORTH poo poo!

this is the third-best game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I beat Bayonetta for the first time a couple days ago. Yeah it's really good.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Ultigonio posted:

On that poo poo, thanks bro :dance:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

This trailer for Sportsball is ridiculous and I can't understand half the words that are being said but it's great so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMt5AsCFIw

Also, the game's coming out November 6th in NA - next week.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It looks like Joust.

That trailer is completely incomprehensible just like Joust. I have never even heard of this before but I think I'm going to check it out, so thanks for the post Ultigonio.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the idea is that Amiibos would be cross-game DLC and thus have wider but shallower value than regular DLC. I don't really get the hype over 'em but I'd probably have felt differently if I was 10 or more of a collector.

I think "cross-game DLC" is probably the best phrasing I've heard to convey what Amiibos seem to be. Getting bonus content across a few games plus a little figure seems fine to me. Heck, the fact that Toys R' Us is giving one away for free with Smash U means I have no reason to not get one, and if it seems worthwhile I might get another couple. Probably start with Yoshi for free because of the multi-game compatibility and also 'cuz Yoshi's the best.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want a Toon Link amiibo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

holy poo poo, I'm not even past the tutorial and Bayonetta is one of the most fun games I've ever played.

I liked W101 despite being crummy at it, but I didn't expect to love Bayo as much as I have been. WITCH TIME! BULLET CLIMAX! JUGGLING UGLY-rear end ANGELS LIKE THEY'RE NOT WORTH poo poo!

this is the third-best game.

It'll be the fourth best game once you finish it. Bayonetta 2 will have to bump it down a slot.

Best thing about Bayonetta 2 is that you can actually afford to buy upgrades.

Now it you'll excuse me, I have to play coop for five minutes so I can afford a policewoman outfit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ultigonio posted:

This trailer for Sportsball is ridiculous and I can't understand half the words that are being said but it's great so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMt5AsCFIw

Also, the game's coming out November 6th in NA - next week.

Man they show a CG thing with a rooster in a ball?? flying through the air in a big staidum and I'm like "Okay I'm interested give me more" and then the end of the video shows the REAL game and just imagine the loudest deflating balloon noise you can and that's what I felt like

Random Stranger posted:

Best thing about Bayonetta 2 is that you can actually afford to buy upgrades.

This isn't true because first you need to save up 100,000 halos for the thing that unlocks the Nintendo costumes (besides the Fox one) and then you need another 100,000 for whichever costume you want to buy. THEN you can start buying upgrades :colbert:

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Is Resident Evil Revelations worth 15 dollars?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

davey4283 posted:

Yeah, probably.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

davey4283 posted:

It is one of the better recent Resident Evils and the Raid Mode offers a lot of replayability. I was amused by the dumb story and characters but they don't affect the fun shooting monsters stuff, which is what I really care about. There's a lot of grabbing keys and backtracking ala the older games interspersed with some brief, cool action sequences closer to the more recent games. I also got way too into the scanning for hidden ammo and handprints stuff. I think there's a demo available so give that a try.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Man they show a CG thing with a rooster in a ball?? flying through the air in a big staidum and I'm like "Okay I'm interested give me more" and then the end of the video shows the REAL game and just imagine the loudest deflating balloon noise you can and that's what I felt like

This isn't true because first you need to save up 100,000 halos for the thing that unlocks the Nintendo costumes (besides the Fox one) and then you need another 100,000 for whichever costume you want to buy. THEN you can start buying upgrades :colbert:

Yeah but that is like two or three rounds of Tag Climax.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

codenameFANGIO posted:

It is one of the better recent Resident Evils and the Raid Mode offers a lot of replayability. I was amused by the dumb story and characters but they don't affect the fun shooting monsters stuff, which is what I really care about. There's a lot of grabbing keys and backtracking ala the older games interspersed with some brief, cool action sequences closer to the more recent games. I also got way too into the scanning for hidden ammo and handprints stuff. I think there's a demo available so give that a try.

Awesome. I didnt know there was a demo, either. Thanks for the run down.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

davey4283 posted:

It's worth a lot more than that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

davey4283 posted:

I played through it on PC last month. It's a good game. I think I paid the same for it and I was happy with the price.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Macaluso posted:

You thought the CG rooster in a ball flying through the air in a big stadium was some sort of gameplay. Can anyone tell me about the actual gameplay of Sportsball because the trailer kicks rear end but I have no idea what the game is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's Joust but there's also a ball.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Resident Evil Revelations feels a lot like combining the better controls and action from RE4 with the atmosphere and dread you'd get from the original games. Monsters can be bullet sponges if you don't plan your shots well and outside of a headshot your bullets won't be forcing them backwards or to stumble so don't expect to be punching enemies to death like they're boulders or anything and even a single enemy can be a threat again unlike recent RE games. That plus Rachel

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

Seriously, it was such an overdone teaser and I was so hyped for some kind of badass bloodsport kinda thing, and the actual game looks like an iPhone app. Get the gently caress outta here. I went through the entire hype-to-disappointment cycle of being excited over new video games in like two minutes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Revelations is very good, just don't expect the enemy or combat variety found in RE4/5/6 as it was originally a 3DS game. It looks GREAT on the 3DS but you can tell they took a lot of shortcuts (very low enemy variety, relatively short campaign etc.) to pull it off. The coop raid mode where you can run through versions of the levels with different enemy arrangements and unlock new weapons/etc. is awesome. While it lacks the hilarious writing of RE4 the voice acting is mega-cheese ball and awesome giving it a similar feel. "PREVIOUSLY on Resident Evil REVELATIONS:"

Also to make the enemies less bullet sponge like, this was the first RE game to use the newer damage system seen in RE6. The weak points are a lot smaller than in previous games so instead of going for the face/mouth every time you can stun/stagger enemies effectively by shooting them in the same hand repeatedly (the creatures here have huge limbs). And like older RE games if you don't see the little blood spurt you're hitting an invulnerable part of a boss.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 1, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why is Nintendo being so tight lipped about what Amiibos will do outside of Smash? Like why even announce that the things will work in HW and then not actually mention what they'll do? I am curious but I find what they do in Smash to be pretty uninteresting at best and I'm certainly not going to get one because it might do something interesting?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

axleblaze posted:

Why is Nintendo being so tight lipped about what Amiibos will do outside of Smash? Like why even announce that the things will work in HW and then not actually mention what they'll do? I am curious but I find what they do in Smash to be pretty uninteresting at best and I'm certainly not going to get one because it might do something interesting?

Hell even at PAX Aus they have a display case showing the entire first wave of them (they're Skylander-size with a taller base, incidentally), and no real demonstration or info on what they'll do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is really weird since the paint job/etc. of them isn't nearly high quality enough for them to make $$$ just as figures, so hopefully they're pretty useful otherwise. Gonna skip them completely most likely.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

This is really weird since the paint job/etc. of them isn't nearly high quality enough for them to make $$$ just as figures, so hopefully they're pretty useful otherwise. Gonna skip them completely most likely.
Personally I hope they'll remain as useless as they seem to be in Smash so that I won't have to buy any :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PrBacterio posted:

Personally I hope they'll remain as useless as they seem to be in Smash so that I won't have to buy any :shrug:

Yeah, actually I mostly agree with this.

Still, it's just weird. I guess it's not a huge deal because it's not like they're out yet but they've been trying to build hype for them while giving as little information as possible and I just don't really understand why. It seems odd to see people speculate what these things will possible do when they're just 3 weeks away.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

axleblaze posted:

We all know Nintendo is a really short sighted company when it comes to certain things. amiibos are the statue figures in Smash Brothers so if any title is going to highlight them it should be thing one. I agree that they should be more vocal about the multigame applications (it's the most interesting aspect of them, to me) but they want to cash in on the Smash connections for the release of the home version. Once Smash is out they're going to have to talk about the multigame applications because that's all there will be to talk about. Unless they make a Toy Box/Skylanders style game which I doubt they will do.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Unless they make a Toy Box/Skylanders style game which I doubt they will do.

I really hope they do, though. :gbsmith:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

I really hope they do, though. :gbsmith:

I'd rather they make a game where I just get all the characters without having to buy some toys.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Unless they make a Toy Box/Skylanders style game which I doubt they will do.

I think they will, but it'll be late next year once they got half a dozen waves or more of the figures.

Still speculating that they're just AI buddies to play with or against in multiplayer games they show up in and Nintendo doesn't figure that it's not super obvious that they'll do the same thing in every game they're in.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

axleblaze posted:

I'd rather they make a game where I just get all the characters without having to buy some toys.

You're not the target audience, none of us are.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Sadly, them being so tight lipped about what they do in other games makes me think it's fairly underwhelming, but they're hoping people will buy them with smash brothers and the initial hype.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

You're not the target audience, none of us are.

I think we partially are. Amiibos definitely have the advantage of being recognizable characters who fans might buy if they see their favorite. I'm sure a minuscule portion of the sales will come from people who don't even have a current Nintendo console.

But yeah. People underestimate just how popular Skylanders is. The series makes Activision just as much money as Call of Duty does. If not more.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

But yeah. People underestimate just how popular Skylanders is. The series makes Activision just as much money as Call of Duty does. If not more.

The thing is Skylander being popular does not mean something similar will be popular. From what I understand, Disney Infinity pretty much flopped horribly (though maybe this new gen is doing better). Kids like Skylanders but that doesn't mean they'll want the same type of thing from another company (even if it's a better known one) nor does it mean parents will be that willing to buy into another expensive figurine based game. This whole thing just feels like not a good movie to me. It's clear Nintendo are kicking themselves on passing on Skylanders and they're trying to get in on that market before it goes away. The other problem is that I suspect Nintendo passed on it because they don't really like locking content like Skylanders is based around and they're reluctance to exploit the aspect of these things that make them so desirable, while admirable, won't really make them sell.

Edit: Actually looking into it I'm not sure how hard DI flopped...so maybe I'm wrong there.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 1, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think we partially are. Amiibos definitely have the advantage of being recognizable characters who fans might buy if they see their favorite. I'm sure a minuscule portion of the sales will come from people who don't even have a current Nintendo console.

Yeah but those people are sad and should not be catered to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

Yeah but those people are sad and should not be catered to.

I don't think they're being catered to, just that sales from these people will be a happy byproduct.

Disney Infinity did alright to my knowledge. I know Disney's whole video game division was riding on it, so it must have done well enough to warrant the sequel. If the Marvel sales don't live up to their expectations, I'm certain they'll make gangbusters with next year's probable Star Wars one.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Amibos are just a way to sell relatively expensive collectable plastic tat to children and perhaps some over enthusiastic gamers who will buy special editions of wii u games for exclusive plastic tat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Full disclosure: I'm getting every Amiibo on launch.

• Locked thread