Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

170? Are you sure about that number when there are only 196 countries total?

The number is accurate, but it's not nearly as impressive as it sounds. They basically went "you can get it from anywhere in Africa except for South Africa (51 countries), Asia except for China and India (46 countries), the Middle East (16 countries), South America except for Brazil (13 countries), Oceania (15 countries), the Nordic states, and a whole bunch of former Soviet republics we don't care about in the slightest because they have no money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Astro7x posted:

Why do people automatically assume that shareholders care about the product as much as the fans do? Shareholders are not going to sell their shares because their favorite wrestleman didn't win the big match on the PPV the way the wanted them to.

First of all, they forecasted a financial loss, so shareholders knew they would not be profitable this quarter. Revenue is still up over Q3 2013, and YTD 2014 vs 2013. They told shareholders that there would be a lot of costs in starting up the network, and revenue has not suffered because of it.

If revenue was way down, and they had tons of additional costs because of The Network, they would be really hosed.

This entire forum only cares about the number of Network subscribers, and anything less than 1 million subscribers and "They're hosed!"

Revenue growth is meaningless unless there's a well-understood path to profitability on a timeframe that shareholders are comfortable with. Shareholders will tolerate short-term losses on the idea that they're reinvesting revenue in things that will bring future longterm growth. That's why a company like Amazon has a stock price that's so high despite never making a dime: shareholders understand that it's basically building a monopoly over e-commerce which will ultimately be extremely profitable and that it could become profitable instantly if they started actually charging market rates for most of their services.

That's the narrative that WWE is/was selling on the Network, that it was a big expense that would result in a near-term loss but set the company up very well to realize huge long-term gains. It hasn't performed to expectations. Maybe it's because those expectations were unrealistic, maybe it's not. But when a product that cost the company this much is struggling to hit the benchmarks the shareholders were led to expect even after several drastic changes to pricing and revenue models, it's fair to assume that at least some of them will question the judgment of WWE management in making that gamble in the first place, or their fitness to execute against the original plan.

The Network's troubles are a textbook example of the kind of thing that CAN cause a shareholder revolt, the fact that there hasn't been one is probably because there's not a lot of pent up value there for a big activist investor or a hedge fund to realize by staging that shareholder revolt.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Surely they'd have a better time of it if they were to finally get all the RAWs from the Attitude Era up in the archives?

That poo poo alone would be worth 10 - 15 bucks a month to a whole lot of people, I'm sure. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard of WWE Network originally. I have no interest in the current product at all, and I have a feeling I'm nowhere near alone in that feeling.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Network UK signups 8pm Monday. Web and tablet only for now, then everything else gets added Nov 18th apparently. They seem to have just said gently caress it and opened up the US version to us because the price is going to be $9.99 after the free month.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mr Scumbag posted:

Surely they'd have a better time of it if they were to finally get all the RAWs from the Attitude Era up in the archives?

That poo poo alone would be worth 10 - 15 bucks a month to a whole lot of people, I'm sure. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard of WWE Network originally. I have no interest in the current product at all, and I have a feeling I'm nowhere near alone in that feeling.

This is what I don't get. They've already stated that shows won't be edited, so they just have to got through the minimal effort of uploading them.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is what I don't get. They've already stated that shows won't be edited, so they just have to got through the minimal effort of uploading them.

I'd be more understanding of this if the metatagging was better, but it's just terrible. It makes sense to go through and tag the matches and segments with the participants, because it's a way of exposing the wealth of content they have available. But no, they do it in a half-assed and inconsistent way which ends up nearly useless.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They just fixed the search algorithm like 3 months ago. I suspect their dev and maintenance team is just one guy who is currently shopping his resume to get out of that quagmire.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm surprised it's so different on every platform, there's no cohesion. If I pull up Netflix or Hulu in my browser and watch 3 episodes of a season, when I pull up Netflix on my Smart TV, Apple TV, Xbox or whatever, it will still remember I've seen those episodes and let me resume where I left off. The WWE Network app is a total crapshoot and behaves differently with different features on every single platform. Connection issues are far worse when I use it on the Xbox when compared to the AppleTV or the browser.

With something this important, you'd think they'd actually give a poo poo about the infrastructure of the service and making the app as good as it could be.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So what does a company like WWE actually get out of being publicly traded? Has it made Vince any richer? Is it just another way to make him not feel like a carny rasslin promoter?

Or to approach it from a different angle - what's another example of a publicly traded company that is essentially a fiction content provider? Did it work out for the company? Was the creative output itself influenced by the market?

Tato posted:

I'm surprised it's so different on every platform, there's no cohesion. If I pull up Netflix or Hulu in my browser and watch 3 episodes of a season, when I pull up Netflix on my Smart TV, Apple TV, Xbox or whatever, it will still remember I've seen those episodes and let me resume where I left off. The WWE Network app is a total crapshoot and behaves differently with different features on every single platform. Connection issues are far worse when I use it on the Xbox when compared to the AppleTV or the browser.

With something this important, you'd think they'd actually give a poo poo about the infrastructure of the service and making the app as good as it could be.
Another thing that gets me is how the sorting is completely different on different platforms. PS3 and the desktop browsers alphabetize the PPVs (a really dumb system when you've got a bunch of one-off events sorted by themselves), whereas Roku and Apple TV organize by year. What's that all about.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 31, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Minidust posted:

So what does a company like WWE actually get out of being publicly traded? Has it made Vince any richer? Is it just another way to make him not feel like a carny rasslin promoter?

Or to approach it from a different angle - what's another example of a publicly traded company that is essentially a fiction content provider? Did it work out for the company? Was the creative output itself influenced by the market?
Another thing that gets me is how the sorting is completely different on different platforms. PS3 and the desktop browsers alphabetize the PPVs (a really dumb system when you've got a bunch of one-off events sorted by themselves), whereas Roku and Apple TV organize by year. What's that all about.

Public trading allows you to raise capital more efficiently for growth either via direct purchase of shares in the company or through loans(known profitable companies can pay back loans). It's also supposed to provide transparency on how a company executes profit-making activities but, as of late, that seems to be going out of vogue.

Anyway, WWE is positioned as being the only wrestling content provider with an international reach. That alone is a hard sell to investors who don't understand the money lines of wrestling. But there's people that appreciate a novelty on their portfolio or those that buy into the idea that WWE is a good long term bet based on historical trends in wrestling.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

njsykora posted:

Network UK signups 8pm Monday. Web and tablet only for now, then everything else gets added Nov 18th apparently. They seem to have just said gently caress it and opened up the US version to us because the price is going to be $9.99 after the free month.
I wonder if they realised lots of people in the UK who want it will have been getting it via VPN already, so they're just going to cut out that middleman to make it more appealing to the rest.

But hey, if this is correct, brilliant! The exact same service for the exact same price is what every country should get.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They probably just couldn't find Sky or any other partner willing to pay them what Rogers did in Canada, because the VPN thing is pretty common here too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Charles Gnarwin posted:

As someone that is involved in the video post-production business, nothing is minimal effort. The fact that these shows are so long make it time consuming. You have to digitize the show in real time, then you need to go through the show and remove stuff. There might be old station promos and stuff that need to be removed, hotline numbers that need to be blurred, and other random stuff that is time consuming. At the very least, the shows have huge chunks of black that need to be removed for where there are commercials. The whole things needs a pass at the audio to make sure everything is at the same decibel level as the rest of the content on the Network. Then the whole 2 to 3 hour show needs to be compressed, with multiple compression settings for different bitrates, which takes a long time for a 2-3 hour show. Each one of those compressions needs to be QCed to ensure that there are no glitches in it, and then uploaded to the service they are using to host the video, then probably QCed again to make sure it's working right. Then that content needs to be properly archived so that they can do stuff with it in the future if need be, or recompress when some better compression algorithm comes out 5 years from now.

I can't tell you how many days of my life I've wasted just QCing stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The vast majority of that is processing time, though.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
It was the dirtsheets fault:
http://www.thewrestlingmania.com/articles/columns/wwe-network-dirtsheets-blame

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It's not the dirtsheet's fault. There's tons of reasons why someone wouldn't subscribe to wrestling. I mean yeah there's tons of content but even a lot of diehard wrestling fans don't want to spend THAT much time watching wrestling. If I follow the current product say even just watch Raw each week for 3 hours. Then I watch every PPV. How many hours a week do I really want to watch wrestling? That even expands to TV in general. Like in sports I like hockey, football, and baseball but I usually only focus on just one at a time.

Cut Raw to 90 mins a week but that will never happen.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 31, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ahahahaha

quote:

I’m not just another WWE fanboy sounding off. I own shares in WWE. I have invested money in the success of the WWE Network and so it is in MY best interests that the Network is as successful as it possibly can be

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ahahahahaha that is a beautiful find. Thanks rovert.

quote:

Let’s look at this another way. WWE RAW gets 3million viewers each week on average. At 700,000 subscribers that’s almost 25% of their ENTIRE audience. That’s actually amazing. Let’s compare that to Netflix (which in my opinion is not a fair comparison, but I digress). Netflix could only dream of having 25% of the world’s population signed up. I say the world’s population because EVERYBODY watches TV and Movies right!? Right. So on that basis, WWE and Netflix are actually on a pretty level playing field, and when you compare the subscriber number of the WWE Network to the amount of people who actually watch WWE TV on a weekly basis, it suddenly becomes a very good number.

Maybe what Netflix needs to do is start doing campaigns where they call anyone that pays full price for a movie or cable an idiot for doing so. Then maybe they'd be doing better.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Kawalimus posted:

I DVR it, and it takes me about an hour to watch the segments and matches that interest me. Smackdown takes about 20 minutes.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

quote:

Some of the original content on WWE Network is nothing short of pure brilliance. Legends House is worth the $9.99 alone

This man is not to be trusted

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kawalimus posted:

It's not the dirtsheet's fault. There's tons of reasons why someone wouldn't subscribe to wrestling. I mean yeah there's tons of content but even a lot of diehard wrestling fans don't want to spend THAT much time watching wrestling. If I follow the current product say even just watch Raw each week for 3 hours. Then I watch every PPV. How many hours a week do I really want to watch wrestling? That even expands to TV in general. Like in sports I like hockey, football, and baseball but I usually only focus on just one at a time.

Seriously. WWE demands so much more of its viewers than the rest of television they claim as their competition. If you want to be categorized as episodic drama so badly, why are you trivializing your product with 6+ hours of weekly content? No one else does that. The art of "leaving the fans wanting more" is completely lost.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Minidust posted:

Seriously. WWE demands so much more of its viewers than the rest of television they claim as their competition. If you want to be categorized as episodic drama so badly, why are you trivializing your product with 6+ hours of weekly content? No one else does that. The art of "leaving the fans wanting more" is completely lost.

There are 41.3 hours in the entire run of Breaking Bad (I don't think they had any 2 hour episodes but let's call it 45 in case there were). WWE has about 7 commercial-free hours of TV in a week when you include Raw/SD/Main Event/Superstars/NXT. It would take six weeks for WWE to run through every Walter White story Vince Gilligan ever told.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Only the craziest of hardcore fans actually watch all the poo poo the WWE puts out every week. I'd guess the bulk of the audience just watches RAW and PPVs. Smackdown is far from its glory years under Heyman and even though Main Event had some pretty awesome matches I rarely make the time.

Interesting that wrestling audiences seem ok with watching part of what the company puts out while anyone I know who dug UFC bailed once there was an overwhelming number of shows to follow.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
What they need on the Network is something that makes it something you really, truly need. I don't know what that is. But the Network needs to give you something that if you're a WWE fan, you're really, really missing out on if you don't have it.

The only thing I can even think of is to have major angles develop on Main Event. Treat it like a 4th hour of Raw.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Sky Shadowing posted:

What they need on the Network is something that makes it something you really, truly need. I don't know what that is. But the Network needs to give you something that if you're a WWE fan, you're really, really missing out on if you don't have it.

The only thing I can even think of is to have major angles develop on Main Event. Treat it like a 4th hour of Raw.

Have cool, crazy poo poo happen on the PPVs, then hype the poo poo out it on Raw. They should also promote NXT more.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

quote:

3. I can’t watch it on my TV because it’s not on Cable – This is the biggest issue I have, and WWE haven’t exactly done a great job at advertising just how versatile the Network is. Almost everybody has a games console which is hooked up to the very same TV they claim they can’t watch the WWE Network on. A simple download of the WWE App on your games console will solve that problem. If you don’t have a games console, then a Roku box has HDMI full HD connections which will fit into ANY modern TV. There’s also Apple TV and a bunch of other adapters that will hook your smartphone up to your TV. You CAN watch the WWE Network on TV.

He acts like this is a small issue. If I want to watch the network on my TV (and I would), it's not just $9.99, I now have to pay for a Roku box.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sky Shadowing posted:

When the Network launched they use to advertise stuff like title matches on Main Event, and The Undertaker would show up and cut a promo on Brock. Now it's just the jobber show.

I'm really surprised that they don't have network exclusive PPV type events for the main roster. How hard would it be to do a one night KOTR tournament exclusive to the Network?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
John Cena once cut a promo on Main Event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

When the Network launched they use to advertise stuff like title matches on Main Event, and The Undertaker would show up and cut a promo on Brock. Now it's just the jobber show.

I'm really surprised that they don't have network exclusive PPV type events for the main roster. How hard would it be to do a one night KOTR tournament exclusive to the Network?

Why do they need network exclusive PPVs when they have PPVs? PPVs are very expensive to run and right now they aren't making their money back with 12 a month. KOTR can't even draw extra ratings on Raw when they run it, it isn't going to do anything as a Network special.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The business is already exposed, let Austin do his commentary over matches every week. Break down the psychology of Melina/Alicia Fox. Show us how the Graveyard Match between Sting and Vampiro was put together.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Astro7x posted:

The issue is the product, not the presentation. If people are turned off or bored by the way WWE books things currently, they could make every single PPV a network exclusive and it wouldn't matter a bit. They have to start making a product that's compelling enough to draw people in and make them think that $9.99 a month is a good deal. But since this is a company that's run by a man who likes to rewrite live shows literally hours before airtime (if not while the show is actually being aired), I think it's safe to say that there aren't going to be any changes to the creative side of the product any time soon.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Super Ninja Fish posted:

He acts like this is a small issue. If I want to watch the network on my TV (and I would), it's not just $9.99, I now have to pay for a Roku box.
To be fair, that's like saying the advertised price of a home video release isn't valid because you need a blu-ray player to watch it. It would, however, be in WWE's best interests to remind people of the compatible devices a bit more. Especially if they continue to go the route of "you're a sucker for paying $55!".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

flashy_mcflash posted:

The business is already exposed

It's a minor pet peeve, but I hate how they only go half way on things like the Monday Night Wars. They dance around the edges of flat out calling it a work, but wedge in awkward little nods to kayfabe. Every time they have a moment of "golly gee _________ sure is tough and I had to work extra hard to beat him for the title" I cringe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minidust posted:

To be fair, that's like saying the advertised price of a home video release isn't valid because you need a blu-ray player to watch it. It would, however, be in WWE's best interests to remind people of the compatible devices a bit more. Especially if they continue to go the route of "you're a sucker for paying $55!".

The new Amazon faux-Chromecast costs $30 and should carry it, I think.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BGrifter posted:

It's a minor pet peeve, but I hate how they only go half way on things like the Monday Night Wars. They dance around the edges of flat out calling it a work, but wedge in awkward little nods to kayfabe. Every time they have a moment of "golly gee _________ sure is tough and I had to work extra hard to beat him for the title" I cringe.

I think in the case of MNW it might be that they're cobbling together interviews and stuff from so many disparate time periods, so some of those talking heads are going to be in kayfabe and others not. They do the same thing on Total Divas though, where there's no real excuse.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

There was absolutely no effort put into his cons section.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Really surprised about the UK network. With the Sky deal I was assuming we were going to get a version without the PPVs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The issue is the product, not the presentation. If people are turned off or bored by the way WWE books things currently, they could make every single PPV a network exclusive and it wouldn't matter a bit. They have to start making a product that's compelling enough to draw people in and make them think that $9.99 a month is a good deal. But since this is a company that's run by a man who likes to rewrite live shows literally hours before airtime (if not while the show is actually being aired), I think it's safe to say that there aren't going to be any changes to the creative side of the product any time soon.

This is why I cancelled, I can't even get excited about most NXT stuff because when those guys come to the main roster they'll be comedy and jobbers. So I can't get invested in the really good guys I love because they'll be dumped into midcard hell when they come to the main roster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah I might be thinking about it way too simplistically, but I really think if the product (TV) were hot, then they could put absolute poo poo on the network and people would still buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Yeah I might be thinking about it way too simplistically, but I really think if the product (TV) were hot, then they could put absolute poo poo on the network and people would still buy it.

Pretty much.

If the TV makes people HAVE to see the PPVs, people will buy the network. It's that simple.