Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I installed f.lux and it seemed to maintain the tint during the day, so I uninstalled it but the tint is still there..has anyone else experienced this? How do I fix it?

VV: that worked, thank you!

JiUC fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I did the JB yesterday and it went pretty smooth, I updated from 7.1.2 to 8.1 in the process. Not sure if it's the new OS or the JB but holy hell battery life has gone to poo poo. Using an iPhone 5.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JiUC posted:

I installed f.lux and it seemed to maintain the tint during the day, so I uninstalled it but the tint is still there..has anyone else experienced this? How do I fix it?

Reinstall f.lux, make sure that a preset is selected in the Settings app, and then reboot your phone. That should fix the daytime issues. I think that the tint remaining may be related to changing the tint settings in the Settings app, for some reason they'll get blanked out and f.lux won't change the tint as a result.

For what it's worth, I was poking around a bit last night and f.lux seems to run as root, which implies that the way they change the color of the phone's screen is by overwriting or editing your phone's native color profile (rather than just putting a color filter over the phone, which is how most f.lux clones on Android work). Since Apple would never allow root access to App Store apps (I'm 99% certain that even their apps don't get it) there's no way that f.lux will ever be in the App Store proper.

That said, jailbreaking with Pangu was stupid easy (I even ignored their warning about installing it over a 8.1 OTA after I did a backup of course) and honestly it was worth it just for f.lux and NoSlowAnimations (man, I didn't realize how slow the animations were before now, godDAMN Apple).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... to jailbreak or not to jailbreak my iPhone 6+.

I'm still on an unlimited plan, so does anybody know if TetherMe will enable Instant Hotspot, etc?

I'm not sure if I'd want to jailbreak for anything else?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Everybody that's jailbroken, check out DetailedBatteryUsage. It's so cool. Going to be very handy for tracking down rogue battery-sucking processes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ezrem posted:

Everybody that's jailbroken, check out DetailedBatteryUsage. It's so cool. Going to be very handy for tracking down rogue battery-sucking processes.

Holy poo poo, it unlocks a built-in Android-style battery usage graph. Worth it just for that, but it also includes detailed battery usage details for apps and shows Daemons too. Fantastic.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ezrem posted:

Yeah this is pretty badass.

And I was initially disappointed with how slow and sluggish ios8 felt until I installed noslowanimations, holy crap!

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Ezrem posted:

Just installed this as well, as I mentioned earlier my battery is draining like crazy after jailbreaking. The process 'launchd' is taking up 56% of background activity. Isn't this part of Pangu?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Just installed this as well, as I mentioned earlier my battery is draining like crazy after jailbreaking. The process 'launchd' is taking up 56% of background activity. Isn't this part of Pangu?

Seems to be the iCloud backup Daemon, which would make sense if you restored your phone before jailbreaking. I didn't, and haven't noticed any difference with my 6 Plus.

[Edit: Could also be Cydia, make sure it's updated to the latest version.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 31, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Need bitesms and callbar to update before I'd be ready to update my phone... Or right before Apple puts out a new iOS at the very least.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lelandjs posted:

Holy poo poo, it unlocks a built-in Android-style battery usage graph. Worth it just for that, but it also includes detailed battery usage details for apps and shows Daemons too. Fantastic.

This sounds fantastic. Mac Jailbreak can't come soon enough.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

lelandjs posted:

Seems to be the iCloud backup Daemon, which would make sense if you restored your phone before jailbreaking. I didn't, and haven't noticed any difference with my 6 Plus.

[Edit: Could also be Cydia, make sure it's updated to the latest version.]

Yeah I backed up before upgrading to 8.1 and putting in Cydia, but I have never used iCloud before on this device. Thank you for that info though.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 31, 2014

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Is there an update to FullForce/RetinaPad/whatever else that will run iPhone apps with the 6+ assets on my iPad?

Also, if someone wants to create a new thread they're welcome to it.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

Need bitesms and callbar to update before I'd be ready to update my phone... Or right before Apple puts out a new iOS at the very least.

Man, CallBar is neat and all and I just paid for it a few weeks ago too but I don't think I'd hold out just for that over all the Yosemite integration, iCloud drive, iTunes Family Sharing, better battery stats now, man, the list just goes on.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
nm, got it figured out.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 31, 2014

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

Man, CallBar is neat and all and I just paid for it a few weeks ago too but I don't think I'd hold out just for that over all the Yosemite integration, iCloud drive, iTunes Family Sharing, better battery stats now, man, the list just goes on.

Feenix posted:

This sounds fantastic. Mac Jailbreak can't come soon enough.

Apparently you can run PanGu with WineBottler and things of that nature.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For whatever reason my "Other" is at 2.3gb (on a 16gb iPhone 5).

iCleaner is only offering to free up about 150mb on iOS 8.1. I'm guessing that since it hasn't been updated yet it might not be running correctly, since it usually frees up to 1gb or more.

Is there any manual way of clearing up "Other" via iExplorer or something like that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ezrem posted:

I don't know how to do that or what I would need to get, but I will maybe try to google.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mt battery was getting killed when I did the JB last week, but a simple reboot cleaned it up for me.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ezrem posted:

Eh the nature of my job makes bitesms and callbar pretty much essential. Among those others, I don't have a Mac, no need for iCloud Drive, no one with an I device for family sharing, but yeah the battery stats are pretty badicle, but certainly nothing I need to jump for. I will update, just when the things I jailbreak for are supported, or Apple gives me no other choice.

I'm super stoked I did on my iPad at least!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ezrem posted:

I finally figured out WineBottler and Pangu but when Pangu launches it cannot "find" iTunes. So, yeah, a bust it seems like.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
It's totally worth being jb'd again for nothing other than sped up animations alone. Feels good to be back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where is the English jailbreak then? Can only see the Japanese one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ICHIBAHN posted:

http://en.pangu.io

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Kheldarn posted:

Windows 8.1 JB released. It's in English, and is bundled with Cydia.

As for a Mac verison, they tweeted this:

We will definitely release a Mac version. But pls give us some time. If there is no major problem for v1.1 we will then focus on Mac version

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Are you on an iPhone 5 or older? Supposedly this is affecting 32 bit iPhone users.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

JayKay posted:

Are you on an iPhone 5 or older? Supposedly this is affecting 32 bit iPhone users.

Iphone 5.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man I hope apple doesn't release some quick update to fix the jailbreak before my 6 ships

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Apple doesn't maintain firmware on shelved/shipped inventory do they? That seems like an absurd amount of effort to inconvenience end-user level hackers. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah it's just they're so backordered they're constantly fresh units

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I got mine this week and it still had 8.02 or whatever on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I did the JB yesterday and it went pretty smooth, I updated from 7.1.2 to 8.1 in the process. Not sure if it's the new OS or the JB but holy hell battery life has gone to poo poo. Using an iPhone 5.

This is why I'm hesitant to update my 5S and my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 8. I remember how lovely performance became on my iPhone 4S when I put iOS 7 on.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think there is any reason to be concerned with iOS 8 on an i5S

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ibntumart posted:

This is why I'm hesitant to update my 5S and my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 8. I remember how lovely performance became on my iPhone 4S when I put iOS 7 on.

FWIW, I did a complete restore this afternoon to a clean 8.1 install and then used the new Pangu jailbreak. So far I have not noticed that issue with the massive battery drain that I was dealing with since yesterday. Perhaps it was the old JB that Pangu sent out, as the JB process with the Chinese version seemed to take forever to accomplish. But when I did the new 1.1 Pangu today it was pretty seamless (with the phone set to Airplane mode), and thus far the 'installd' process is only around 4%. I'll keep monitoring it and will be sure to bitch about it in this thread if I see anything out of whack.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The Cydia splash screen has a big red warning about how iPhone 5 and older devices can get stuck on 100% battery usage on boot, but that rebooting should fix it.

That's probably what's draining your battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
No Annoyance claims to be updated for 8.1 but causes springboard crashes for me. :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Any reports for jb/os8 on a 5? Don't want to loose how smooth 7 is running.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone know much about Wine and Winebottler? I got Pangu running but it tells me it cannot detect iTunes. I guess it's not seeing my local Mac-installed iTunes? :\ If anyone knows a way to make this work, let me know...

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

Anyone know much about Wine and Winebottler? I got Pangu running but it tells me it cannot detect iTunes. I guess it's not seeing my local Mac-installed iTunes? :\ If anyone knows a way to make this work, let me know...

I'd just go with VirtualBox and a trial copy of Windows 8.1 if you don't mind the large download. Be sure to install the Extension Pack in VirtualBox and enable USB 2.0 in the Settings.

Windows 8.1 trial VirtualBox

goodness posted:

Any reports for jb/os8 on a 5? Don't want to loose how smooth 7 is running.

A lot of people are running it just fine but some are reporting high CPU usage, which is being looked into by Saurik et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

spongeworthy posted:

I'd just go with VirtualBox and a trial copy of Windows 8.1 if you don't mind the large download. Be sure to install the Extension Pack in VirtualBox and enable USB 2.0 in the Settings.

Windows 8.1 trial VirtualBox

Great tip. Setting this up now. Sorry to be a dingus but I'm currently stuck/unsure what to do next. I have the 8.1 trial ISO downloaded. I have VirtualBox and Extensions set up. I even set up a virtual machine. I am not figuring out how to get Windows 8.1 like... installed on it?

[edit] NM, maybe? I found detailed instructions, just starting over because I never got a prompt for where to find/search the ISO to install.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2014

• Locked thread