Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Boy, it sure is a saga to get a new issue out of this series. :downsrim:

The Will's sister is still the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oh my god, I get it. Patent trolls.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saoshyant posted:

The Will's sister is still the best character.

Lying.

She's called The Brand, by the way.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Everytime The Stalk shows up in a flashback or a hallucination I get sad that she was killed off so early on. She was such a cool character and the early gut punch of her death gets worse as we learn more about her.

Yeah, a part of me seems to be holding out a faint hope that she'll come back for real....but, I don't think this is that kind of comic.

I knew what this was going to be and absolutely should not have clicked it just before hopping out of the car to clock in this morning.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

wiegieman posted:

Oh my god, I get it. Patent trolls.

oh my GOD.

(Just started rereading the issue.)

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
I fell back in love with this again after

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He's so adorable. Also, in my mind I can't not hear him as Ian McShane and it's hilarious.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
Starting to see how SAGA would make a really good high budget tv show these days for sure.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Anyone else notice that the sword and shield Marko had on the last page were the same ones hanging on the wall in Ginny's house?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

hatesfreedom posted:

Starting to see how SAGA would make a really good high budget tv show these days for sure.

No budget could do it justice in live action.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I never noticed that Sophie cat is referring to LC's color.

Both panels are amazing though. The sweet one made me cry, and the badass one made me throw my arms up in the air in glee.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
As Archie Nears 75, Riverdale Gets a Youthful Infusion

Times Article posted:

To keep Archie fresh, new talent was sought, including Lena Dunham, who will bring her feminist take to a four-part story in 2015. Mark Waid and Fiona Staples, two comic book veterans, will be the new creative team for the Archie comic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Archie keeps sounding like something that might be worth checking out but I'm still wary.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm always impressed by all the weird, interesting things the Archie comics seem willing to do. I mean, yeah, you see the same boring old done-to-death stuff in the Archie Double Digests that you see while standing in line at Wal-Mart, but then they go and do crazy poo poo like Afterlife With Archie or hiring the creative team behind Graphic Sex and Childbirth: The Comic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Afterlife with Archie is actually really good, and I say this as someone who hasn't read any Archie stuff since I stopped the Archie digests when I was ten or so.

On the other hand, there's no way I'm going to read anything Lena Dunham does.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I'm always impressed by all the weird, interesting things the Archie comics seem willing to do. I mean, yeah, you see the same boring old done-to-death stuff in the Archie Double Digests that you see while standing in line at Wal-Mart, but then they go and do crazy poo poo like Afterlife With Archie or hiring the creative team behind Graphic Sex and Childbirth: The Comic.

The high point of absurdity is still Archie Meets The Punisher.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jedit posted:

The high point of absurdity is still Archie Meets The Punisher.

That's at best equal in absurdity to Archie Meets Predator.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Question for anyone with the hardcover, is it worth getting instead of the trades? Price is roughly equal on Canadian amazon.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Dacap posted:

Question for anyone with the hardcover, is it worth getting instead of the trades? Price is roughly equal on Canadian amazon.

I read the trades and own the hardcover. Hardcover is slightly oversized which is nice, but the printing and paper quality on both is great. My biggest complaint is that the hardcover doesn't include all of the sketches that are in the back of the trades, like the adorable Ghüs and Rumfer con sketches in Vol. 3. There are some sketches in the back of the HC that I think are unique to it but none of them really stood out. The only other special feature is the "Making of Saga" walkthrough and full issue script which is kind of whatever, it doesn't add much to the book for me.

But I still bought it because it was a great price for a really nice looking and not-too-thick hardcover. The art is my favorite thing about Saga so the bigger pages just slightly pushed me toward that choice. But it's mostly about the binding type you prefer in your hands or on your shelf.

Ror fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 28, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Issue 25 scheduled for next week.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Issue 25 scheduled for next week.

Awesome!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Has Vaughan said at all how many issues the series is planned to run in total?

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Dacap posted:

Has Vaughan said at all how many issues the series is planned to run in total?

He has joked on a podcast that he wants to do 1 more than the walking dead. So the ball is in Kirkmans court

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Yay! Saga is back and it's still awesome and holy poo poo how great is that cover?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

trashbuilder posted:

He has joked on a podcast that he wants to do 1 more than the walking dead. So the ball is in Kirkmans court

Kirkman can keep recycling plots for years to come.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Three thoughts regarding #25:

1) I'm pretty sure my gut dropped just as hard upon reading "and it would be years before the two of us would see each other again" as it did at the last page of Issue 19. And there isn't any wiggle space to avoid this one being as crushing as it sounds.

2) I was sure the blond guy in the "Others were merely looking for adventure" panel was Gale, but the wings don't match, so I guess I was wrong. I don't know why, but I miss that smug bastard.

3) The Revolution is just another reminder that Saga is one of the best books for fascinating and original character designs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RandallODim posted:

And there isn't any wiggle space to avoid this one being as crushing as it sounds.

You're just not trying hard enough.

Temporary blindness. Bam, done.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Phylodox posted:

You're just not trying hard enough.

Temporary blindness. Bam, done.

Of course, that must be it. He cries too much into the doll and goes blind because the stuffing is dangerous.

I'm also worried what the great cost is gonna be for the cure to The Will's neck stabbery. I am basically worried about everyone in this book, at all times.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, I usually follow series in collected volumes rather than issue to issue, but I can't imagine living without out the thrill of tearing through and then rereading each issue of this series as it comes.

RandallODim posted:

Of course, that must be it. He cries too much into the doll and goes blind because the stuffing is dangerous.

I'm also worried what the great cost is gonna be for the cure to The Will's neck stabbery. I am basically worried about everyone in this book, at all times.

Having a giant lizard pee in your mouth is a pretty high cost.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's sort of tragic is that it really seemed like Prince Robot was going to have a change of heart. I feel like there is another way things could have gone down in which Prince Robot would have been a champion for people like Dengo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's sort of tragic is that it really seemed like Prince Robot was going to have a change of heart. I feel like there is another way things could have gone down in which Prince Robot would have been a champion for people like Dengo.

How dare you make a tone argument against the oppressed robot underclass!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

krakagar posted:

Yay! Saga is back and it's still awesome and holy poo poo how great is that cover?

Really. Probably one of my favorite comic cover art pieces ever. Even before I realized it went onto the back as well.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Really, creating a character like Ghus feels like cheating. All of the characters are too good, it just isn't right.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Okay just read issue 26 just have two thoughts;

1- Okay now I really want to know what the Robot People use for mouths.

2- That last page :wth:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Beginning to think that many of the characters may be suffering from a slight lack of structure in their lives. Just a little.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

The_Other posted:

Okay just read issue 26 just have two thoughts;

1- Okay now I really want to know what the Robot People use for mouths.

This. Also,

3) Sophie is best

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The_Other posted:

Isn't this almost every issue?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Over in ADTRW we are doing a "cultural" exchange so to speak and recommending comic books. I posted about Saga but the Saga discussion has picked up. I posted a link to the scene with Sophie and Lying Cat...here is the response (from the anime forum no less)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701793&pagenumber=3#post442419432

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's okay to ignore the anime nazi avatar guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Over in ADTRW we are doing a "cultural" exchange so to speak and recommending comic books. I posted about Saga but the Saga discussion has picked up. I posted a link to the scene with Sophie and Lying Cat...here is the response (from the anime forum no less)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701793&pagenumber=3#post442419432
To be fair, that scene really doesn't work so well out of context. I mean, I know you explain things, but that scene is the first time Sophie is really a character. And it's a huge payoff for LC's whole shtick. Part of what makes it so powerful is that you really wouldn't think that "Lying" could reduce you to tears.

And I think that goes for a lot of Saga. You have to just read it to get how amazing it is. I don't even know how to sell it to people because "starcrossed lovers in space" just doesn't sound all that interesting. It's just a matter of everything coming together so well.

• Locked thread