Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
First 3 Seasons: "WHY DOESN'T KORRA JUST LISTEN TO THE POINTS THESE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE INSTEAD OF ENFORCING THE STATUS QUO BY PUNCHING EVERYTHING?!"

Now: "WHY DOESN'T KORRA JUST GO INTO THE AVATAR STATE AND DEMOLISH KUVIRA'S ARMY CAN'T SHE SEE THAT SHE'S A POWER HUNGRY TYRANT COMPLETELY BEYOND REASON?"

Jeez, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kuvirah's not trying to make a point. She's just an fascist rear end in a top hat and I'm not quite certain why folks keep trying to act like she isn't just because she pays occasional lipservice to "peaceful negotiation" when it suits her to do so.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 31, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rosalind posted:

Southern Water Tribe Public Library only has books about snow and ice fishing.
She knitted the hell out of some sweaters.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ufarn posted:

Could Korra not have, like, read some books on not sucking as an Avatar, when she was incapacitated?

You wouldn't need books if you could literally talk to your past selves.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Almost 100%. We got the scene in the train when he used his piddling man-strength to save her. That and the look on her face when they were forced to give up the fight in the mechs (which was anime as hell, actually, complete with the sideways glace and the "tch" annoyance/anger emote) pretty much guarantee her heel-turn is a ruse. I'm pretty sure she had more lines this episode than all of her previous speaking parts put together which was neat.

And all hail the lava bending mech destroyer!

lava bending mech uniter:colbert:

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kuvirah's not trying to make a point. She's just an fascist rear end in a top hat and I'm not quite certain why folks keep trying to act like she isn't just because she pays occasional lipservice to "peaceful negotiation" when it suits her to do so.

I was 100% the hope that the rumours of kuvira being a hitler were just rumours. Now that we've seen kuvira actually being a hitler there's nothing but sadness.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Oh Snapple! posted:

The thing is, her past enemies all seemed pretty loving evil too but also had points. What Korra's learned is that you should listen to your enemies and understand where they're coming from, instead of just assuming everyone who disagrees with you is an evil dickmonger. I suspect the moral of the show will be just that, that sometimes people are just assholes but sometimes they only seem like it and you need to listen and communicate so you can act appropriately. In other words, Book 4 will be Balance.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

"I need to reunite my nation, and none of you fuckers were doing anything about it" is just as much a point as "There shouldn't be any government because man should have no allegiance to anything but themselves and the ones they love."
Obviously fascism is wrong and Kuvira has done horrible things. But like every villain in Korra she has a noble ideal at the core of her actions: she wants all the villages of the Earth Kingdom, no matter how small, to be united under a government capable of protecting them and providing for them should circumstances arise, be they war or natural disaster, that temporarily render them incapable of self-sufficiency.
Of course, she's fallen completely out of balance, as shown by the fact that she's now going after Xao Fu, which is more than capable of handling itself and could easily function as a sovereign state. And it's basically a sure thing that she's going to go after the United Republic next, again under the guise of reuniting the Earth Kingdom.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Oh Snapple! posted:

Korra doesn't know that but she does know people do get angry when you do things because no one else is doing them. She's not psychic she went from the Swamp to here. Also Su the Earth Kingdom is falling apart and you want to go all isolationist? That doesn't work when it's your own country Su.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2014

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Oh Snapple! posted:

This was pretty much my only issue with the episode. Korra realizing just rushing in and hitting things has caused many issues before, so instead deciding just to moderate the issue, was pretty good development for her, but yeah kuvira really didn't make an sort of argument.

Being generous I guess you could put it down to Korra overreacting to her realization that violence, even if used for the right reasons, often just makes things worse, so now in a situation in which force is called for she is being overly hesitant.

Anyway Zhu Li's awesome and even if she is just millers crossing her betrayal, it was still fun seeing her rightfully tear into Varrick. Also Varrick gaining a conscience when on the verge of making a spirit nuke was also pretty neat.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Kuvira's "point" is reuniting a nation torn apart. But that point is unbalanced by her insatiable thirst for power and control over people.

I hope we get a little more backstory on Kuvira to maybe find out why she desires power so badly. I guess you could argue that maybe she was tired of living in Su-Yin's shadow and seeing how she didn't use the power of her city to its full potential, but I don't know.

Still, Kuvira arguing to Su about how they should spread the wealth and prosperity of Xiao Fu to everyone was eerily reminiscent of Fire Lord Sozin trying to justify his conquest.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"I need to reunite my nation, and none of you fuckers were doing anything about it" is just as much a point as "There shouldn't be any government because man should have no allegiance to anything but themselves and the ones they love."
Obviously fascism is wrong and Kuvira has done horrible things. But like every villain in Korra she has a noble ideal at the core of her actions: she wants all the villages of the Earth Kingdom, no matter how small, to be united under a government capable of protecting them and providing for them should circumstances arise, be they war or natural disaster, that temporarily render them incapable of self-sufficiency.
Of course, she's fallen completely out of balance, as shown by the fact that she's now going after Xao Fu, which is more than capable of handling itself and could easily function as a sovereign state. And it's basically a sure thing that she's going to go after the United Republic next, again under the guise of reuniting the Earth Kingdom.

There is literally no reason to assume Kuvirah has any goals other than selfish ones. She flatout puts the essence of her character out in the open for everyone to see when she tells Wu that she "always gets what she wants." She has her forces hang banners with her portraits. She sends people to prison camps to be reeducated. She forces Varrick at almost gunpoint to continue extremely dangerous experiments because she sees the power they could provide and wants it for herself (and the show goes to great lengths to express just how hosed up it is that Varrick of all people wants to peace out of that poo poo). She's even immensely receptive to Zhu Li's flattery to her (which is likely to backfire - I don't buy that poo poo as anything other than Zhu Li insuring she can remain near Varrick).

We're talking about a woman who, in limited appearances in s3, people already got villainous, "don't trust this person" vibes from. I don't buy that she's fallen out of balance - like most fascists, she saw a chance for power and took it while expounding noble intentions.

SirKibbles posted:

Korra doesn't know that but she does know people do get angry when you do things because no one else is doing them. She's not psychic she went from the Swamp to here. Also Su the Earth Kingdom is falling apart and you want to go all isolationist? That doesn't work when it's your own country Su.

I'm aware that she doesn't know the extent of Kuvirah's bullshit. But there's a reason folks are pretty comfortable with going "yeah, Korra please punch out this rear end in a top hat" while also maintaining she could have done things better in earlier seasons.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

First 3 Seasons: "WHY DOESN'T KORRA JUST LISTEN TO THE POINTS THESE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE INSTEAD OF ENFORCING THE STATUS QUO BY PUNCHING EVERYTHING?!"

Now: "WHY DOESN'T KORRA JUST GO INTO THE AVATAR STATE AND DEMOLISH KUVIRA'S ARMY CAN'T SHE SEE THAT SHE'S A POWER HUNGRY TYRANT COMPLETELY BEYOND REASON?"

Jeez, y'all.

Hey, I was happy Korra made an effort to listen to Kuvira. I wasn't happy with the fact that Korra seemed to be sucked in by Kuvira's arguments like she was with Unalaq's in season 2. She's come a long way since the civil war and it was disappointing to see she hadn't grown in that respect after everything she's been through and learned.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Kuvira's "point" is reuniting a nation torn apart. But that point is unbalanced by her insatiable thirst for power and control over people.

I hope we get a little more backstory on Kuvira to maybe find out why she desires power so badly. I guess you could argue that maybe she was tired of living in Su-Yin's shadow and seeing how she didn't use the power of her city to its full potential, but I don't know.

Still, Kuvira arguing to Su about how they should spread the wealth and prosperity of Xiao Fu to everyone was eerily reminiscent of Fire Lord Sozin trying to justify his conquest.

That's my guess too--I don't know how much exposition we'll get though. We've seen that she was chomping at the bit in season 3 so she was probably disillusioned with Zaofu for a while before she made the break. I'm fully willing to believe she had good intentions at first but the power went to her head.

I didn't notice the Sozin parallels but like them now that you've pointed them out.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Roku could have told Sozin "We could share our prosperity with mutually beneficial trade between our nations rather than colonialism" or something along those lines instead of going "KEEP THE NATIONS SEPARATE THAT'S HOW IT'S ALWAYS WORKED THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD ALWAYS WORK." By the time of Roku's death Sozin was too far gone to listen to reason. He had fallen entirely out of balance.
What Korra has to do is get Kuvira to see reason before the Avatar version of World War II happens.

When Kuvira does come for the United Republic, I bet we're going to see Raiko pull a Chamberlain and try to appease Kuvira with some of the smaller areas in hopes that she'll stay the hell away from Republic City.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 31, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Roku could have told Sozin "We could share our prosperity with mutually beneficial trade between our nations rather than colonialism" or something along those lines instead of going "KEEP THE NATIONS SEPARATE THAT'S HOW IT'S ALWAYS WORKED THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD ALWAYS WORK." By the time of Roku's death Sozin was too far gone to listen to reason. He had fallen entirely out of balance.
What Korra has to do is get Kuvira to see reason before the Avatar version of World War II happens.

When Kuvira does come for the United Republic, I bet we're going to see Raiko pull a Chamberlain and try to appease Kuvira with some of the smaller areas in hopes that she'll stay the hell away from Republic City.

I feel that Kuvira is gonna get a spirit laser energybent back into her.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

I feel that Kuvira is gonna get a spirit laser energybent back into her.

Or even have it reflect off something without Korra's interference: Kuvira would have been destroyed by her own hubris Chin the Conqueror-style.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just figured out that the plot of Season 4 so far can be summed up as the age-old drama of "Wealthy mother-in-law does not approve of first-born son's newlywed wife." :allears:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This episode had a lot of Varrick, and a sweet as hell fight scene. Bolin kicked rear end, and so did the awesome mechs (though the CGI seemed dodgy at times). That reminded me, though, that it's been AGES since we saw Korra thoroughly kicking rear end... Not that there isn't good reason, given how only another Avatar was ever truly able to match her, but I'm just waiting for an utter trouncing Kyoshi-style! Especially after all that humiliation.

Seriously. Before this season is over, I want a magnificient beatdown, delivered by Korra, to whoever deserves it most. (I still don't trust you, Suyin!!!)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Spent the whole battle scene yelling DO THE THING at my screen, and Bolin did the thing!!! Hopefully he'll do it again to liberate the camp he's taken to -- or all of them. Maybe that'll be Bo's coming of age, liberating the people of the camps of North Korea the Earth Kingdom.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

:2bong: Korra is going to get spirit-lasered and go like, beyond the avatar state. This also restores the past lives :2bong:

Sneak peak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIH9uas-uPk&t=117s

Seriously though, this was a decent episode and while not perfect I liked that Korra at least tried reasoning.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Serella posted:

Spent the whole battle scene yelling DO THE THING at my screen, and Bolin did the thing!!! Hopefully he'll do it again to liberate the camp he's taken to -- or all of them. Maybe that'll be Bo's coming of age, liberating the people of the camps of North Korea the Earth Kingdom.

Nothing will ever beat

"Zhu Li, do the thing!"
*faaaaaaaart*
"THAT PLATYPUS BEAR IS POOPING MONEY!!!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zedd posted:

:2bong: Korra is going to get spirit-lasered and go like, beyond the avatar state. This also restores the past lives :2bong:

It's gonna be like the last part of the first season where without any other bending available she'll be able to Airbend. Only all that energy is gonna overcharge her to the point that she can even change into her past selves like Aang did with Kyoshi and Roku.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Nothing will ever beat

"Zhu Li, do the thing!"
*faaaaaaaart*
"THAT PLATYPUS BEAR IS POOPING MONEY!!!"

"Can this boat get us away from a crazy waterbending ex-girlfriend?"
"Why do you think I built this boat?!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

There is literally no reason to assume Kuvirah has any goals other than selfish ones. She flatout puts the essence of her character out in the open for everyone to see when she tells Wu that she "always gets what she wants." She has her forces hang banners with her portraits. She sends people to prison camps to be reeducated. She forces Varrick at almost gunpoint to continue extremely dangerous experiments because she sees the power they could provide and wants it for herself (and the show goes to great lengths to express just how hosed up it is that Varrick of all people wants to peace out of that poo poo). She's even immensely receptive to Zhu Li's flattery to her (which is likely to backfire - I don't buy that poo poo as anything other than Zhu Li insuring she can remain near Varrick).

You lose all authority as a uniter/benevolent leader when you created massive prison camps to toss anyone who dares to criticize you. Kuvira wants power and control and is brutally crushing anyone who opposes her.

I'm pretty sure Kuvira will capture Su Yin, declare her an enemy of the state, and then try to hold a public execution.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't like that Varrick is developing a conscience, part of what makes him so great is how he is a completely shameless rogue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I don't like that Varrick is developing a conscience, part of what makes him so great is how he is a completely shameless rogue.

Realizing you're about to build a spirit nuke and going "Holy poo poo, no one should have this power" is a pretty reasonable response from a business minded cut-throat like Varrick.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think Zhu Li just became my favorite character :allears:

I literally said "SHUT UP, VARRICK, SHE'S DOING A THING" to my monitor. Great stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This was definitely a very setup-heavy episode. Maybe a bit too setup-heavy. Korra goes to talk to Su, who tells her to go talk to Kuvira, who tells her to go talk to Su. I mean, everything they talked about was kinda interesting, but c'mon, writers.

I love how Su still doesn't gently caress around, though. "Alright hey, let me just take my children on a black-ops assassination mission to end this poo poo once and for all." Beifongs :black101:

The Asami/Hiroshi stuff was nice, but felt like a weird interlude in the midst of everything else, and I'm gonna laugh so hard if it doesn't actually lead to anything else and this is literally the last we ever hear about it. Like, they're just gonna wrap up this dangling D-plot in five minutes and call it a day.

I predict that Korra will indeed be forced to go into the Avatar State to stop Kuvira's army, but will be successfully thwarted by the spirit nukes that, of course, Varrick will have just finished creating.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
So basically none of this would've happened if Su wasn't a giant isolationist moron. Good job Su.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure Kuvira will capture Su Yin, declare her an enemy of the state, and then try to hold a public execution.

I almost hope this happens, because if anything is going to coax Toph out of hiding, that would probably do it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RottenK posted:

So basically none of this would've happened if Su wasn't a giant isolationist moron. Good job Su.

Oh, it probably would've. If Su had said okay then she'd be herding cats with the various Earth states and would probably end up with more chaos.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RottenK posted:

She's not isolationist. Her view in this scenario is that it's not any of her drat business to impose herself as a ruler upon the rest of the Earth Kingdom, not that her state is best served by rejecting everyone else.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Oh Snapple! posted:

She's not isolationist. Her view in this scenario is that it's not any of her drat business to impose herself as a ruler upon the rest of the Earth Kingdom, not that her state is best served by rejecting everyone else.

They were asking her to stop massive riots in the biggest city on Earth and maybe put out a few fires, not establish a new dynasty.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As nice as it is for Bolin's stupidity to be highlighted by shipping him off to brain washing prison, I hope these reduction camps become nothing but Red Lotus cells that have a bunch of angry people present another clear example of why governments in any form are evil when Bolin tries to liberate them. It's the perfect loving coup for them to return.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

As nice as it is for Bolin's stupidity to be highlighted by shipping him off to brain washing prison

To be fair, this time it's not stupidity so much as it is genuine ignorance of what Kuvira was doing, because up until that point Kuvira made a point of not showing that side to Bolin.

He trusted her and so did a lot of other people.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Why does the avatar even care about the conquests of man?if anything doesn't her meddling unbalance the world? This is a criticism of all the avatars.

An avatars job is to bring balance between man and spirit. That's what they're qualified to do.

The avatar imposing her strength to see her ideology is carried out is an abuse. The avatars are clearly flawed individuals with their own opinions. They happen to have significant power which allows them to determine what is or is not right.

I guess what I'm saying is why is this current plot something the avatar should involve herself in. The four nations are human constructs unlike the spirit / man divide. Why can't the human world change and deal with it themselves.

I hope this show ends with the foreshadowing that Toph made that the world actually doesn't need an avatar.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I thought the balance of the elements on Earth was important as well.

And justice for people and whatnot, being the avatar of the spirit of peace and harmony and all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because, among other things, not worrying about the balance of the nations offers the possibility for, say, a nation to go crazy, murder all of another nation, almost drive an entire group of benders to extinction and end the Avatar cycle, which unbalances a whole lot of poo poo.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I like it because it's implied to be an inversion of he and Bolin's relationship back in Book 2, when Varrick corrupted Bolin with money, fame and women. Now Bolin is inadvertently making Varrick grow a conscience!

BrianWilly posted:

The Asami/Hiroshi stuff was nice, but felt like a weird interlude in the midst of everything else, and I'm gonna laugh so hard if it doesn't actually lead to anything else and this is literally the last we ever hear about it. Like, they're just gonna wrap up this dangling D-plot in five minutes and call it a day.
Hiroshi is an engineering genius in a series where technology could play a very big role, I certainly hope we haven't seen the last of him! Plus I feel like they've done their best to show how different he and Varrick are, so it would be a shame not to have them interact at some point.

Sato posted:

Also, on a less lethal note, treebending!
That was fun. Baatar must no have seen that one coming.
Bolin in general seems to have become a much better bender than before, none of his attacks felt desperate and he was very much in control of the whole thing once he got out of the mech.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Asami should spirit Hiroshi away to the Fire Nation, where he can put his engineering genius to work in developing Spirit Vine technology for the United Republic, Fire Nation, Water Tribes Alliance, so that they can provide a counterbalance to the arsenal being developed by Varrick for the Earth Empire. It's about the right era for a Cold War to begin! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I literally said "SHUT UP, VARRICK, SHE'S DOING A THING" to my monitor. Great stuff.

The moment Kuvira threatened Varrick's life she guaranteed a thing being done to her.

• Locked thread