Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kalman posted:

Answer the second part of the question: what the hell is wrong with you? Why were you against an individual mandate?

Because I didn't want to be forced to give my money to an insurance company and felt that as long there was an individual mandate, we should have single payer or somewhere else, like a public option or a Medicare buy in, to spend my money on. As long as I was being required to have insurance and spend money, I at least wanted some competition and choice in the matter instead of being automatically required to hand money to the companies that are largely responsible for loving up our healthcare system up in the first place.

That's why. I'm not sure why that angers some people.

And from what I can tell so far, insurance companies are only getting worse, not better, about what they'll cover since this law went into effect. I have to appeal and re-submit every loving bill I get anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aaaaand psycho clown murders is not a metaphor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

"Welp, I've got nothing left, might as well put on the clown paint and go on a rampage" ~ all of us in 2017, probably.

Meanwhile, Senator Inhofe's office found something scarier than killer clowns.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

MaxxBot posted:

He has actively supported it since May 2012, he just didn't think it was a right guaranteed by the 14th amendment until 11 days ago. I hope Obama is still evolving on this issue, we need more prominent people out there in support of mandatory gay marriages.

Why do you hope he evolves? Really, what is Obama gonna do? What's his 'support' gonna do?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

THE AIR

I CAN BREATHE IT

AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why do you hope he evolves? Really, what is Obama gonna do? What's his 'support' gonna do?

It was a joke about the fact that his position has changed on the issue so many times people can't keep track of it, I'm pretty confident that he is in fact now fully evolved.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Anyone have an answer as to why democrats are such wimpy cunts?

I am pretty sure it's because they're just shills with 0 principles. They exist to get elected and take your money an do basically nothing else, much like the Republicans. I can't see any other reason as to why they seem to stand for nothing, or at least won't say they stand for much of anything most of the time.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

GlyphGryph posted:

Hahah, comparing the Republican and Democratic platforms on repealing opposing legislation, the difference in attitude is stark.
Social security, FDIC, SEC, Medicare, Medicaid, universal education, Hill-Burton Act...

They talk the talk, but at the end of the day they don't walk the walk, and lefty legislation tends to stick around. Even when conservatives come close they preserve the parts that benefit their constituents and try to carve out ways to not give it to everyone else (eg the farm bill)

Also the awful app tries to turn "constituents" into "coco statuettes"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fried Chicken posted:

Social security, FDIC, SEC, Medicare, Medicaid, universal education, Hill-Burton Act...

They talk the talk, but at the end of the day they don't walk the walk, and lefty legislation tends to stick around. Even when conservatives come close they preserve the parts that benefit their constituents and try to carve out ways to not give it to everyone else (eg the farm bill)

See, this is the problem. I know, rationally, that the Democrats (though lovely at times), are so much better than the Republicans. Because if nothing else they bother with getting the details right and quietly pushing small things forward and that's important, and when they do win (and I consider the ACA a win) it sticks around.

But their rhetoric just feels so goddamn weak, like they can't even be proud of the stuff they've accomplished and they can't support anything too loudly lest people disagree.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A literal literacy test in TYOOL 2014:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/new-mexico-begins-new-policy-of-refusing-voter-ids-to-navajo-speaking-illiterates/

quote:

The New Mexico Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) has reportedly stopped issuing driver’s licenses or photo identification cards used for voting to so-called “illiterates” who only speak the Navajo language.

In a memo obtained by ProgressNowNM, Bureau Chief Aurora Lopez outlines the policy for MVD employees.

“Agents are not allowed to read the questions on driver’s applications to a customer,” Lopez writes. “They would [need] a letter stating that they have a condition that falls under the [Americans with Disabilities Act] for us to read the questions.”

“Applicants should be able to read the questions on their own since it raises question[s] as to how they obtained their driver’s license.”

Lopez adds: “We are not able to issue license [sic] for illiterates.”

:911:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

fool_of_sound posted:

I think I've seen an anime about the kochtopus once.

You're thinking of the crotchtopus.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I just want to scream "that's not how it's pronounced!" at the top of my lungs.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

The Warszawa posted:

I just want to scream "that's not how it's pronounced!" at the top of my lungs.

I'm dressing up as Koch-fueled Tony Montana.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

hcreight posted:

I'm dressing up as Koch-fueled Tony Montana.

So Ted Cruz then?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

It kind of is, considering this "second wave of killer clowns" hasn't, y'know, killed anyone. Also, the first wave of killer clowns was made up solely of John Wayne Gacy, whom they remember to say was a member of the democratic party.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dystram posted:

Anyone have an answer as to why democrats are such wimpy cunts?

They weren't expecting the extent and depth of the white backlash to the civil rights (and to a much lesser extent labor) movement, how thoroughly and easily Republicans took advantage of it, and have been afraid of rocking the boat too hard ever since.

Seems kinda obvious in retrospect, but :shrug:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

comes along bort posted:

They weren't expecting the extent and depth of the white backlash to the civil rights (and to a much lesser extent labor) movement, how thoroughly and easily Republicans took advantage of it, and have been afraid of rocking the boat too hard ever since.

Seems kinda obvious in retrospect, but :shrug:

This and Reagan. Reagan peeled off lots of white democrats and murdered unions. It's a tightrope for establishment democrats to hang on to waning constituencies while expanding the tent to minority ethnic groups.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So Virgin Galactic just crashed, at least 1 dead so far. Not a great week for privatized space flight.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

So Virgin Galactic just crashed, at least 1 dead so far. Not a great week for privatized space flight.

Not a great time at all for American spaceflight. Russia's doing great, we should gently caress with that by the way.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 31, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wonder if its Russia loving with us.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Oracle posted:

Wonder if its Russia loving with us.

The first one was using a knockoff of a Russian engine from the 60s, so maybe.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Radbot posted:

Let's remember that the Colorado "gun ban" was a limit on magazine sizes. That's right - no actual gun was banned, no ammunition was banned, these folks are literally getting angry because they're too lazy to reload their mags or too cheap to buy more of them.

I own a few guns and I'd be pissed if they were actually banned, but does it make a bad gun owner to not give a flying loving poo poo about how many rounds of 5.56 I can slam into my gun at once?

You're being disingenuous - no one has ever banned the continuing possession and use of a gun that someone already owned, nor have any guns ever been seized from individuals because the type of gun was banned. Even with the magazine limits, anyone with larger magazines is perfectly within their rights to keep and continue using those products. The only limit is that once the ban is in place, you can't transfer (e: or manufacture) the "illegal" gun/magazine/whatever.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2014

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

zoux posted:

Is Alex Jones admitting he's a juggalo?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Because I didn't want to be forced to give my money to an insurance company and felt that as long there was an individual mandate, we should have single payer or somewhere else, like a public option or a Medicare buy in, to spend my money on. As long as I was being required to have insurance and spend money, I at least wanted some competition and choice in the matter instead of being automatically required to hand money to the companies that are largely responsible for loving up our healthcare system up in the first place.

That's why. I'm not sure why that angers some people.

Except both Campaign Clinton and Campaign Obama were supportive of a public option, so your complaint above makes no sense as a reason to have voted for Obama - you'd have had an option even with a mandate.

Also, were you against guaranteed issue? (Note that even in a public option system, you still want an individual mandate if you want to keep guaranteed issue and, to a lesser extent, anti-rescission. That's why Obama came around to it, after he got past the cost concerns a previous poster identified, which were the reason he questioned the original mandate in the first place.)

It doesn't anger me - it just makes me question your intelligence.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

"If elected I vow to faithfully represent all coco statuettes in my district."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

:drac: :ghost: :spooky: This is the haunted "Sarah's room" in the Golden Lamb inn, which is owned by Senator Rob Portman :spooky: :ghost: :drac:

So just piling as many horror cliches into a tiny room as possible now counts as haunted? Its only an empty pool and Indian carcasses away from the whole set.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Extra special bonus quote of the day, "Remember Domino's Pizza? They admitted, 'Hey, our pizza crust sucks.' The Republican Party brand sucks and so people don't want to be a Republican and for 80 years, African-Americans have had nothing to do with Republicans." ~ African-American Studies Department Chair Rand Paul.

Domino's adopted this strategy after its sale to Bain Capital. Perhaps a leader of Bain can help the Republican party.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I'll be very, very honest with you. The South has not always been the friendliest place for African-Americans." ~ Mary Landrieu

"We lynched some folks"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mooyashi posted:

Domino's adopted this strategy after its sale to Bain Capital. Perhaps a leader of Bain can help the Republican party.

Thats the plan, I think. At least with Christie for his Veep shortlist.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
My mother is trying to make me vote for Rob Wittman and Ed Gillespie cause she thinks that Warner has bone nothing for veterans and that Democrats are walking over the Constitution.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Look up your local nursing homes here, mark down the ones rated 1 star, then take your mom on a tour. Tell her that's where she's gonna end up if she doesn't cut the poo poo.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

comes along bort posted:

Look up your local nursing homes here, mark down the ones rated 1 star, then take your mom on a tour. Tell her that's where she's gonna end up if she doesn't cut the poo poo.

She believes that Obama is from south Africa and will never listen to reason, won't work.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Chimera-gui posted:

She believes that Obama is from south Africa and will never listen to reason, won't work.

Ask her what she thinks about Rhodesia, I need to settle a bet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Is Alex Jones admitting he's a juggalo?

Screamin' Axe J-Bones

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Someone needs to alert the USSS about Pumpkin Patch guy in the background here. Possible ISIS agent!!!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Not Kenya? Is she so far gone that she can only remember the name of the country with "Africa" in the title and defaults to it? Yikes...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She believes that Obama is from the southern part of the country of Africa.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

This is ridiculous, especially given how important Dine Bizaad has been in American history, from the Apache Wars to WWII. It's also an extremely difficult language and anyone who speaks it has to have a pretty good grasp on a difficult tongue. Lastly, there are a lot of Dine in New Mexico and disenfranchising them is an rear end in a top hat move, likely by design in Martinez' New Mexico.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

At least vote so you don't get letters from the democrats asking why you didn't vote (because they do that now I guess) after they sent you 40,000 emails saying all hope is lost and begging for cash.

Actually, I did vote (early, yay NC) and still got a letter saying that the NC Democratic Party would love to hear why I chose to let my state down if they go through the voter roll and determine that I didn't vote this election.

Hey NCDP: :fuckoff: I've voted in every single election for the last five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Actually, I did vote (early, yay NC) and still got a letter saying that the NC Democratic Party would love to hear why I chose to let my state down if they go through the voter roll and determine that I didn't vote this election.

Hey NCDP: :fuckoff: I've voted in every single election for the last five years.

I've read some of the literature on political rhetoric and PR and I've never heard about the "we will probably lose, oh well, enjoy Republican rule jerks" tactic before. It was always framed as "we need your help to do X thing". Did they hire these guys from Romney's campaign team?

• Locked thread