Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Factor_VIII posted:

Another trick one can use, that I employed when soloing with a Fighter/Mage/Thief, is to set a bunch of traps and then lure the mind flayers into them. Traps are generally quite effective, particularly against spellcaster-type enemies.

Open the door, shoot a cloudkill spell in, close the door. It'll kill all the umber hulks in the room and severely damage the flayers.
They're the worst enemy in the game because of their stupid intelligence drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Best way to play BG1, with or without a FAQ? There's just so much to do, so much in the wilderness that one could get lost...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Without a faq for a long time. There's so much to explore and do. Invest a lot of hours just checking all the maps and areas. Just don't ignore companions asking you to complete their quests or they might bail on you permanently.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah definitely without on the first go through. The story is nice and easy to follow, but do make sure you read dialogue once you get to the Baldur's Gate portion of the main quest or you will get lost quite easily.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Take your time getting there though. :)

While not as rich and populated as the sequel, there is a lot to do before reaching Baldur's Gate.

Beyond "Coming Soon", is there any word in a tweet or interview you guys may have seen that indicates when the iOS release will come? I think I will hold out for that one unless this goes on 50% sale some time soon.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 31, 2014

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I'm thinking of getting the new version of IWD. Has anyone playing it encountered any bugs so far? If so, would it be better to wait for a patch?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
I've played it a couple hours now and haven't found any bugs. I haven't gotten very far, but that's because I'm trying to figure out ~the perfect party~ before I really get started.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I made it to the start of Kresselack's Tomb last night (so maybe an hour and a half in) and didn't have any problems. Doesn't seem to be many posts in their IWD bug forum either, for whatever that's worth.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey anyone wondering about ID EE, Tiny Turtle is streaming it atm

http://www.twitch.tv/tinyturtlesa

He got an advance copy for extra life last week so I think he's far along?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 31, 2014

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

memento mori posted:

I've played it a couple hours now and haven't found any bugs. I haven't gotten very far, but that's because I'm trying to figure out ~the perfect party~ before I really get started.

Karmalaa70 posted:

I made it to the start of Kresselack's Tomb last night (so maybe an hour and a half in) and didn't have any problems. Doesn't seem to be many posts in their IWD bug forum either, for whatever that's worth.
Thanks for the advice. I'll get it and try it out this weekend.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

How well do the various Enhanced Editions work on phones? I have BG I & II on my iPad, but I wouldn't mind being able to play IWD on my phone since I have that with me more often. I have a 5" screen (HTC One M8), but I still feel like it would probably be too cramped.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

What parties are people using to go through IWD:EE by the way? I made a Neutral Good party consisting of a Human Bard, Human Kensai, Dwarf Dwarven Defender, Elf Priest of Tyr, Elf Wild Mage and Halfling Bounty Hunter.

Thinking about trying to dual class the Kensai into Kensai/Mage as I've never used the character type in BG. Would IWD have enough XP to make dualing viable at level 13?

PS: EE Keeper version 1.0.2.5 works with IWD:EE. Mucking about with I found out that the empty bag of holding from ToB with the huge carrying capacity (BAG31) is included in the game. If anyone finds inventory management boring, adding that item eliminates it.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Factor_VIII posted:

What parties are people using to go through IWD:EE by the way? I made a Neutral Good party consisting of a Human Bard, Human Kensai, Dwarf Dwarven Defender, Elf Priest of Tyr, Elf Wild Mage and Halfling Bounty Hunter.

Thinking about trying to dual class the Kensai into Kensai/Mage as I've never used the character type in BG. Would IWD have enough XP to make dualing viable at level 13?

PS: EE Keeper version 1.0.2.5 works with IWD:EE. Mucking about with I found out that the empty bag of holding from ToB with the huge carrying capacity (BAG31) is included in the game. If anyone finds inventory management boring, adding that item eliminates it.

You do not want to dual at 13. You'd be right at the end game before you get you levels back. If you're playing on normal I'd suggest dualing at 7, if you're doing hard or insane you can do 9.

I'm using a sorcerer, kensai->mage at 9, berserker->druid at 7, bounty hunter, half orc fighter/cleric, and a regular bard. I'm playing on insane and I was kinda worried about kits making the game too easy, and that seems to be what happened. Since it's using the BG2 engine hopefully someone will get a SCS port going.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah I'm not using kits or weapon styles because I thought it'd be too easy as well. Using a paladin, fighter, fighter/thief, druid, cleric/illusionist, and bard on..the one between core and insane (hard?).

I'll use kits and stuff on another playthrough sometime just to see how broken they are in this game.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Well to be fair using kensai/mage makes BG2 really easy too.

Anyway my party is undead hunter, priest of tempus, fighter/thief, fighter/druid, dragon disciple, and archer. Didn't take a bard since I've beaten IWD couple times with one already, and they are really boring to use if you keep them singing most of time.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Zilkin posted:

Anyway my party is undead hunter, priest of tempus, fighter/thief, fighter/druid, dragon disciple, and archer. Didn't take a bard since I've beaten IWD couple times with one already, and they are really boring to use if you keep them singing most of time.

War chant of the Sith has spoiled me :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zilkin posted:

Opposite of being boring and hitting way too much micromanagement, bard songs linger for the rest of the turn, so you can weave some spells in with minimum song downtime if you get too bored with a bard.

The song variety can also encourage some song swapping. War chant of sith gets all the love for regen, but if you aren't hurt the AC bonus isn't a lot to write home a lot by the time you get it. Tymora's can be a better choice before you are injured since the IE games often make your AC irrelevant but the enemies AC still in a realm where you get something out of a hit bonus.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

IWD is the only IE game I haven't played to completion, so I'd like to play it.

Years of playing RPGs have left me with a lack of patience with buffing my party after every time I rest / before every major fight (depending on spell duration), though, and IE games have plenty of buffs. Does anyone have a recommendation for what kind of party I could put together that requires as little buff micromanagement as possible?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MegaGatts posted:

You do not want to dual at 13. You'd be right at the end game before you get you levels back. If you're playing on normal I'd suggest dualing at 7, if you're doing hard or insane you can do 9.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just keep my Kensai single-classed then as that makes the character more useful throughout the game. Also my Kensai has killed over 50% of enemies so far, so I might struggle later in the game if I disable my main damage dealer. (Also scrolls are a pretty limited resource in IWD and with a Mage and a Bard already using them there won't be too many of them left for a third Mage.)

Karmalaa70 posted:

Yeah I'm not using kits or weapon styles because I thought it'd be too easy as well. Using a paladin, fighter, fighter/thief, druid, cleric/illusionist, and bard on..the one between core and insane (hard?).
I decided to give kits a shot since I've already played the game without them in the past. The only exception is my Bard, since the kits don't get the nice Bard songs. I'm playing on Insane, currently in the Vale of Shadows, and things seem to be going reasonably well. The game isn't too easy.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 1, 2014

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
How deep is bg2 as a game? I played a little bit but in total, how many areas are there?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

How deep is bg2 as a game? I played a little bit but in total, how many areas are there?

It's absolutely massive, especially with ToB included. If I remember correctly BG2+ToB has total of over 300 area maps. That number also includes tiny maps like house interiors, but still BG2 is simply a huge game.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
For a mildly explorative first time run through both SoA and ToB, I'd be very surprised if someone managed it in below 60 hours.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Hulk Krogan posted:

How well do the various Enhanced Editions work on phones? I have BG I & II on my iPad, but I wouldn't mind being able to play IWD on my phone since I have that with me more often. I have a 5" screen (HTC One M8), but I still feel like it would probably be too cramped.

I would also quite like to know this, if anyone has experience with it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, trying to play BGEE on my Galaxy S4 is...an adventure. It seems to play just fine, but requires a whole lot of zooming in and out to do anything.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Are there any benefits of carrying over a character from BG1 other than the pantaloons? Although I'm happy with my PC here in BG1, I kind of wanted to change a couple of things for the second one. Is there any difference in whether I import my character or make a new one for BG2?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The only significant difference is that an imported PC be higher in level, but that's not a big deal - the game is fine with new PCs, and there's plenty of content to work through and hit the cap on anyway. Go ahead and change your character, it will be fine.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just keep my Kensai single-classed then as that makes the character more useful throughout the game. Also my Kensai has killed over 50% of enemies so far, so I might struggle later in the game if I disable my main damage dealer. (Also scrolls are a pretty limited resource in IWD and with a Mage and a Bard already using them there won't be too many of them left for a third Mage.)

Don't forget to buff him with spirit armor and barkskin. Kensai's are wicked once you get spells to overcome their natural weakness.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Are there any benefits of carrying over a character from BG1 other than the pantaloons? Although I'm happy with my PC here in BG1, I kind of wanted to change a couple of things for the second one. Is there any difference in whether I import my character or make a new one for BG2?

The only way an import will be materially better than a fresh roll is if you used the tomes in BG1 to min/max your stats to 19+.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That's the main difference and its a pretty big one. A character coming in from BG1 will probably have 19 in their primary stats which is big particularly for the fighter classes.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

You could, however, use ShadowKeeper/EEKeeper to fake it if you really wanted to.

And while 19 STR is definitely huge for fighters, I'd say 21 WIS vs 18 WIS can make a distinct impact for clerics and druids, too.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 2, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

fong posted:

That's the main difference and its a pretty big one. A character coming in from BG1 will probably have 19 in their primary stats which is big particularly for the fighter classes.

Or 20 Con as a dwarf, so you'll be regenerating. :swoon:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

21 Wis gets you an extra level 3 and level 5 spell, as opposed to an extra level 4 spell with 18 Wis, nothing to shake a stick at.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fong posted:

21 Wis gets you an extra level 3 and level 5 spell, as opposed to an extra level 4 spell with 18 Wis, nothing to shake a stick at.

Bonus spells from Wisdom are cumulative. Having 21 WIS instead of 18 gives you 6 extra spell slots (1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5) that you wouldn't have otherwise.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It really bugs me that IWD:EE uses the BG spell/ability icons rather than the IWD ones :saddowns:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MegaGatts posted:

Don't forget to buff him with spirit armor and barkskin. Kensai's are wicked once you get spells to overcome their natural weakness.
Indeed. Spirit Armor makes a huge difference. It takes my Kensai from AC 2 (-4 Dexterity, -2 Kensai bonus, -1 amulet, -1 cloak) to AC -7. Really turns the character from a glass to a titanium blender. I'm currently in Dragon's Eye and was getting overwhelmed by large groups of trolls, but once I got level 4 spells and was able to cast Spirit Armor they became simple to deal with.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
This is my first time playing Icewind Dale. The first thing I noticed is that your ability scores are really bad, at least relative to BG2. No rolls of 95 after a couple minutes of clicking and you're lucky even to hit the mid 80s. I guess this is to prevent you from cruising around with six twinks?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Draile posted:

This is my first time playing Icewind Dale. The first thing I noticed is that your ability scores are really bad, at least relative to BG2. No rolls of 95 after a couple minutes of clicking and you're lucky even to hit the mid 80s. I guess this is to prevent you from cruising around with six twinks?

It's easier to get the higher rolls with Druids or Paladins since they have a couple moderately high ability requirements in the first place. Other basic classes only have a single ability requirement with maybe a 12 minimum.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Has anyone tried the Shadowdancer kit? Any opinions? I put it on my Thief but it's only level 3 or 4 so haven't gotten the chance to try the special ability yet. It's certainly handy to be able to stealth in combat though.

Also for the record for people on the fence: No bugs, errors or crashes, just got to Kresselack the rear end in a top hat's tomb.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm having a very difficult time deciding between a sorcerer or a kensai/mage for my BG2 playthrough. I want to say it's my first time going through the game, but I played a bit of it before.

Let's just assume it's my first time going through. Which do you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sorceror is fun. You can do things like spam Polymorph until it actually works.