Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Thanks dude.
Sadly no stonemasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

FadingChord posted:

Is there any downside to leaving the friendly rebels alone (since your armies can coexist)? They should fight any invading armies and possibly other rebel types.

(I have not had a chance to play since the latest patch so I'm probably missing something big. Do they tick towards automatically enforcing their demands?)

Nope! They are a Powerful Rebel Shield. No downsides!

Wiz's hotfix apparently fixes that, but I assume it's not ironman compatible?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, so I'm playing Lithuania. I want to capture Riga. So I fabricate a claim on them, declare war, invade. They call their allies the Livonian Order and the Hansa into the war. I invade the Livonian Order and make a seperate peace with them, and occupy Riga.

However, now I'm stuck with the Hansa in the war and I have no way to affect them. Since I can't do anything to them, the warscore is stuck at 30-odd percent and I can't annex Riga without 100%. What do I do?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

OK, so I'm playing Lithuania. I want to capture Riga. So I fabricate a claim on them, declare war, invade. They call their allies the Livonian Order and the Hansa into the war. I invade the Livonian Order and make a seperate peace with them, and occupy Riga.

However, now I'm stuck with the Hansa in the war and I have no way to affect them. Since I can't do anything to them, the warscore is stuck at 30-odd percent and I can't annex Riga without 100%. What do I do?

Is Hansa the warleader? Then you're hosed without a bunch of mil access. If Riga is the warleader, then after a few years the game will give you 100% warscore for occupying Riga. There's just a "grace period" where you can't fully occupy the warleader without also beating up his allies. I believe the grace period is 5 years.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dibujante posted:

Is Hansa the warleader? Then you're hosed without a bunch of mil access. If Riga is the warleader, then after a few years the game will give you 100% warscore for occupying Riga. There's just a "grace period" where you can't fully occupy the warleader without also beating up his allies. I believe the grace period is 5 years.

Pretty sure Riga's the warleader. OK, so I just have to wait five years then, I guess. Pity the war exhaustion I accrued won't go away during that time, even though there's literally no fighting happening.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Nope! They are a Powerful Rebel Shield. No downsides!

Thinking about it, it could actually be pretty neat if provinces with very high autonomy but low unrest would occasionally spawn friendly "rebel" armies (presumably small or medium ones with gradual attrition built in) that you can't control but will fight enemies or unfriendly rebels that enter surrounding territories.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

Thinking about it, it could actually be pretty neat if provinces with very high autonomy but low unrest would occasionally spawn friendly "rebel" armies (presumably small or medium ones with gradual attrition built in) that you can't control but will fight enemies or unfriendly rebels that enter surrounding territories.

That could be ominous as poo poo. Have them spawn "friendly" rebel armies (i.e. they're actually not-friendly, but you don't have the authority to police them) that go hostile on you once the rebellion kicks off. Think paramilitary forces like Peshmerga in northern Iraq or something.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Friendly rebel armies that have demands of their own. The happier they are with you, the more they'll help. But help you if you piss them off, or they will become hostile. :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Pretty sure Riga's the warleader. OK, so I just have to wait five years then, I guess. Pity the war exhaustion I accrued won't go away during that time, even though there's literally no fighting happening.

You may be able to white peace The Hansa out after less-than 5 years if there is no fighting going on. Or concede defeat if you can afford the prestige loss :v:. This is all if Riga is the War Leader.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Quantumfate posted:

Friendly rebel armies that have demands of their own. The happier they are with you, the more they'll help. But help you if you piss them off, or they will become hostile. :getin:

To simulate feudal life, as long as you're a feudal monarchy you can only recruit troops up to your capital province's force limit. All other provinces spawn their own noble rebel armies proportional to their own forcelimits and they just generally screw around and screw everything up but look impressive on paper.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

You may be able to white peace The Hansa out after less-than 5 years if there is no fighting going on. Or concede defeat if you can afford the prestige loss :v:. This is all if Riga is the War Leader.

Yeah, it pinged to 100% warscore after a bit. Thanks!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Beta patch fixed all my problems, now to just decide what country to start with :iia:

I'm thinking maybe something in Arabia.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dibujante posted:

To simulate feudal life, as long as you're a feudal monarchy you can only recruit troops up to your capital province's force limit. All other provinces spawn their own noble rebel armies proportional to their own forcelimits and they just generally screw around and screw everything up but look impressive on paper.

That would be pretty amazing. Maybe it could be something where the lower your unrest or whatever other "bad stuff" stat is (e.g. the people like you even with high autonomy) the higher chance there is for each army of following your main one or actively participating in wars instead of wandering around your provinces. That way even if you've got sky-high autonomy and feudal monarchy you can still get stuff done as long as you keep a careful eye on stability/inflation/etc.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Dibujante posted:

That could be ominous as poo poo. Have them spawn "friendly" rebel armies (i.e. they're actually not-friendly, but you don't have the authority to police them) that go hostile on you once the rebellion kicks off. Think paramilitary forces like Peshmerga in northern Iraq or something.

I don't know how I feel about this implementation, but it could be kind of neat if there were Liberum Veto-type events if your manpower was low and there's a giant rebellion ("Loyalists Volunteer for Service!" or something?) that would give you X units of troops magically in your capital.

It would have to be a rare thing or it would be broken, but something like the events where Scotland magically gets a new stack to fight off the English army could be interesting for handling the new mass rebellions.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

In honor of Reformation Day I'm going to try and dominate the HRE with a Protestant Brandenburg tonight.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Anyone know if the beta patch is ironman compatible?

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

FadingChord posted:

the events where Scotland magically gets a new stack to fight off the English army

Is this what was happening? gently caress, I was seriously confused by that when I invaded Scotland as Norway, I thought they were recruiting mercenaries or something. My poor little siege stack in the Western Isles, RIP :norway:

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
Has anyone had any luck with the "Objectives" function during a war?

I didn't see any results in my Karaman game so I made a quick test game as Poland and declared on the Teutonic's with a few allies joining me. I tagged a province as an objective and I just sat back and watched.

The result was: they took every OTHER province in the country before finally taking the objective last. They actually landed on it just to rush off elsewhere a few times.

I expected them to beeline as soon as I said go, but maybe I've misunderstood how it works. Are there other factors at work dictating their behaviour?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Have they messed up static modifiers again? At least the ones governing recruitment don't seem to be working. Oh how I love setting up games just the way I like them and having them ruined by Paradox's ineptitude.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Apparently one of the new African nations is called Manga, and Japan gets this mission:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That joke is just awful and here I am laughing at it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Very much of a piece with Aragon's mission to 'become king of Gondar'.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

Or to defeat Saruhan.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The AI is really, really good. Just wanted to give kudos to Wiz et al. I'm playing as France and my enemies are ruthless. Burgundy has been stripping territory off of me!

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Marches are really baller. You feed up two or three vassals to nice sizes and they can easily support 70k troops. I'm playing as Tibet right now and I just got Delhi, Bengal, and Juanpur doing all the heavy lifting with their 70,000 troops.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drat, I just spent a lot of money this week. But I'm so picking up that music too when I get the expansion. Not sure if it really fits with the game and the rest of the music however.

Bishop Rodan posted:

Apparently one of the new African nations is called Manga, and Japan gets this mission:

John Charity Spring posted:

Dibujante posted:

Or to defeat Saruhan.
:allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I haven't had any chance to play yet, any words on how the new reformation and league mechanics are working?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Bug in the "Contacts in the Holy See" event, it talks like it's gonna give me a free Cardinal for 100 adm, but then the option for it will actually place a cardinal in Graz. I'm England, not Austria, sooo :v:

e: Also I swear hovering over the "Annex Vassal" option used to tell you when you would be able to start, but that doesn't show up for me anymore :confused:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 31, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Allyn posted:

e: Also I swear hovering over the "Annex Vassal" option used to tell you when you would be able to start, but that doesn't show up for me anymore :confused:

I noticed that as well. My workaround is to hover over the vassal icon on the country's page where it'll tell you when they got vassalized, and then you add 10 years.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Alikchi posted:

The AI is really, really good. Just wanted to give kudos to Wiz et al. I'm playing as France and my enemies are ruthless. Burgundy has been stripping territory off of me!

Jesus I'm bad at this.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Burgundychat: It would be cool if there was a decision you could take to officially confirm yourself as an independent kingdom rather than a jumped up duchy, as was sought by Charles the Bold. Yeah I know it's already treated as a kingdom, and I'm not sure why I care so much. It would be nifty though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SharkAKALegitShark posted:

Marches are really baller. You feed up two or three vassals to nice sizes and they can easily support 70k troops. I'm playing as Tibet right now and I just got Delhi, Bengal, and Juanpur doing all the heavy lifting with their 70,000 troops.

I was looking and couldnt find any details on what they actually do - am I missing where its explained (there is no tool-tip) or do I just have to figure it out myself?

Alikchi posted:

Jesus I'm bad at this.

:stonk:

Fuligin posted:

Burgundychat: It would be cool if there was a decision you could take to officially confirm yourself as an independent kingdom rather than a jumped up duchy, as was sought by Charles the Bold. Yeah I know it's already treated as a kingdom, or why I care so much. It would be nifty though.

I think it would be cool if you could do something like that with smaller countries and it provided associated events. Kinda like how the Hohenzollerns (spelling is probably wrong) became "Kings in Prussia" as their power grew but couldnt be a King in the HRE.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I was looking and couldnt find any details on what they actually do - am I missing where its explained (there is no tool-tip) or do I just have to figure it out myself?

There's no tooltip that I've found, but according to Johan, they get a 25% bonus to manpower, a 30% bonus to force limits and have 20% better fort defense. However, you don't get taxes nor can you annex them.

You can cancel march status, but you get a -200 relations malus that will keep you from annexing them for a long time.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The Kazanian NI descriptions are by far the best part of this patch.
Out on the steppe, there's no one to hear you scream. :black101:

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Bort Bortles posted:

If you click on the option 'designate march' on the diplomatic screen it gives you a little popup that explains what the effects are and you can accept or decline it. It's a bit hidden away.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The auto troop boat transport is amazing, but I wish it would make use of docking, both to pick up and drop off. Takes way less time to put the boat in port, tell the army to attach to the transport, then leave the port again than to wait for them to walk on. Still, really really nice nonetheless, in peace time anyway :)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Alikchi posted:

I think Burgundy has gotten a huge buff this patch, probably due to trade income..?

I noticed they've been kicking France's rear end in my game, and before they started expanding they had around 10-15k more troops and much higher income than France.
It's 1600 now and the 5 biggest earners are in order: Spain, Ottomans, The Hansa(starting size +3 provinces), Portugal and Burgundy. Spain has twice the income of France and I just doubled my trade income by sending a merchant and 10 caravels to collect trade in Sevilla, where I had 1% trade power before. Now I've got 9% of the total power there which gets me 15 gold each month.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dibujante posted:

There's no tooltip that I've found, but according to Johan, they get a 25% bonus to manpower, a 30% bonus to force limits and have 20% better fort defense. However, you don't get taxes nor can you annex them.

You can cancel march status, but you get a -200 relations malus that will keep you from annexing them for a long time.

Good to know, thank you.

SharkAKALegitShark posted:

If you click on the option 'designate march' on the diplomatic screen it gives you a little popup that explains what the effects are and you can accept or decline it. It's a bit hidden away.

That explains it. I was worried if I clicked on it they would become a march and I wouldnt know what was up :derp:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I think the best thing about AoW is just the sheer breadth of it. Like, I know that sounds dumb & is also stating the obvious, but the "problem" with the earlier DLCs is that they, by and large, only apply to specific areas of the world -- for instance, WoN only really added to colonisers and countries in the far east. But with AoW, even if you tolerate the Lollards as England and so miss out on the new Papal mechanics, or aren't a Christian at all so miss out on the reformation/30 Years War stuff, you get a whole new scope to the world, and great new little mechanics that just make it far more enjoyable to play. That's really impressive, I think :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Has anyone experienced any limits to giving your vassals provinces in a peace? I've been able to just give them any province(s) I want so far, but haven't tried giving them more than 2 at a time (even if they're not claims).

• Locked thread