Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My boomerang doesn't hit all his heads after the seed Attack, for some reason it only homes in on the lower ones usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kaubocks posted:

You can block the seed attack with literally no consequence.

Yeah, as long as you block the whole barrage from start to finish, the worst that will happen is you'll be pushed back like two or three steps.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

loving Impa's lv 3 Nagitana(sp?) mission. I wanted the heart container really badly but couldn't find it. Turns out it appeared in a Keep that my AI allies captured so I never saw it appear. And there were so many soldiers in the keep I couldn't see the chest. loving hell.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

loving Impa's lv 3 Nagitana(sp?) mission. I wanted the heart container really badly but couldn't find it. Turns out it appeared in a Keep that my AI allies captured so I never saw it appear. And there were so many soldiers in the keep I couldn't see the chest. loving hell.

Actually I don't think things like chests appear if you're not the one to capture the keep. I know enemy drops don't happen if your allies land the killing blow, and I assume this is the same.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Actually I don't think things like chests appear if you're not the one to capture the keep. I know enemy drops don't happen if your allies land the killing blow, and I assume this is the same.

Chests WILL appear if you don't capture the keep. I've had it happen a few times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Chests WILL appear if you don't capture the keep. I've had it happen a few times.

Yeah, I've had that happen before, too. Even if you don't capture the keep yourself and see the chest spawning animation, it still spawns once your side takes over the keep.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's even a ping on the minimap that says "Chest appeared!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the things that bothers me a little is that after you perform the circumstances necessary to unleash the skulltula, the game seems to wait until every other message at the time is processed before it finally says "A skulltula appeared!" and activates it. It's a little annoying with the first-mission-1200-kills-less-than-four-hearts ones, because with the skulltula inevitably being nowhere near the enemy base, you have kind of just tool around and spin in circles for a bit.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
I got Agitha's level 3 last night. Thanks, thread! I went for a mix of riding butterflies and dropping beetles. I also did some damage to Zelda while padding my kill count and rescuing Cia, which ended with Cia KOing her while I dealt with Link. Turns out she does pretty well if you take out the Dinolfos attacking her. Who knew?

I can just about do Zant's too. KOs and damage aren't an issue, but I'm just a few seconds too slow. So far, what I've been doing is charging my insanity meter with the giant stomp attack on the crowd straight ahead at the start, then I run to Ganondorf and unleash his strong attack spin thing and grab as many things as possible, then I hit them with a special before they even hit the ground. Then I just keep charging the meter and unleashing it into every objective or threat to Ganondorf. My special meter builds fast enough that I never have to worry about it. I'm using a 5 star level 2 for him with Darkness+ and some Strength skill. I just need to figure out some way to shave a few seconds off of my time. I'm not really sure what though, since it's the Aeralfos, stalks and Ghirahim that are eating up all my time. Isn't the hookshot supposed to expose Aeralfos' weakpoint when they're airborne? I know it worked for me the first time I did that item weakness quiz, but it's never worked since.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, one of my biggest regrets in life is that the person who designed Zelda's level 2 baton mission will never know how much I hate him.

"Nice, I manage to take out Volga without taking too much damage!"
(Eats two offscreen Wizzro beams)
:tizzy:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

So while trying to find my best option for getting Ganon's Fang, I found this here page that seemingly lists out all materials, what they come from, and suggested farming stages. Figured I'd share with the class.

Sorry if some of the formatting in this post is weird, mobile posting sucks.

edit: yep totally botched that and had to fix it

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Kurui Reiten posted:

Okay, well, certainly isn't the first time I've been wrong about something. Oh well.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, one of my biggest regrets in life is that the person who designed Zelda's level 2 baton mission will never know how much I hate him.

This is why the route I made intercepts Volga real early, just outside the Allied Base. At that point, Wizzro is still busy far enough to the northwest of that huge middle area that he won't break off to come mess you up, and then you can pick him off later if he's been weakened enough by Rogue Forces or just ignore him instead.

liquidypoo posted:

So while trying to find my best option for getting Ganon's Fang, I found this here page that seemingly lists out all materials, what they come from, and suggested farming stages. Figured I'd share with the class.

Sorry if some of the formatting in this post is weird, mobile posting sucks.

edit: yep totally botched that and had to fix it

This is cool, but I don't agree with the recommendations for the "All Attacks are Devastating" maps. Even though those maps are super fast, most of the time the captains in them don't drop materials, so you're only going to get a couple materials for each run anyway.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Devastation maps ARE great for skill unlocking though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This is why the route I made intercepts Volga real early, just outside the Allied Base. At that point, Wizzro is still busy far enough to the northwest of that huge middle area that he won't break off to come mess you up, and then you can pick him off later if he's been weakened enough by Rogue Forces or just ignore him instead.
That's what I did. I took out Volga, went to fight Wizzro and ended up getting beamed twice in row, once when I was trying to back up and get away from the melee.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's what I did. I took out Volga, went to fight Wizzro and ended up getting beamed twice in row, once when I was trying to back up and get away from the melee.

Then just ignore him. Even if he starts to threaten the Allied Base later, he should be so weakened from battling Rogue Forces and your own guys that he'll be a lot easier to pick off at that later point.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Woo, finally found the Skulltula that completes the illustration. It was in the "Defeat the mountain beast" mission.
Just 9 Skulltulas to go and then I'm done with the basic Adventure mode map (I'm not getting all the pieces of heart).

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Dunban posted:

Woo, finally found the Skulltula that completes the illustration. It was in the "Defeat the mountain beast" mission.
Just 9 Skulltulas to go and then I'm done with the basic Adventure mode map (I'm not getting all the pieces of heart).

But the pieces of heart are the most important part! See, they let you not die and keep that C rank!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would think that the pieces of heart are at least easier than most of the skulltula, but yeah, they really are just there for completionist purposes and are fairly useless. I will probably try to get them all, but I'll move on to mostly playing the MQ map after I manage to get the weapons.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I'm still trying to get the last couple of weapons for characters I hate. I've got most chars high level and fully equipped by now, but Zant, Agitha and Summoning Gate Lana have gotten very little love. I finally got Zant's Lv 2 today and I think I have a much better sense of how he works, but he still feels weak compared to some of the other guys.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I would think that the pieces of heart are at least easier than most of the skulltula, but yeah, they really are just there for completionist purposes and are fairly useless. I will probably try to get them all, but I'll move on to mostly playing the MQ map after I manage to get the weapons.

They're easier, but most of them aren't interesting enough to work for. Skulltulas being challenging can make them fun to get and not just feeling like busywork.

Plus skulltulas actually unlock more content which pieces of heart don't.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Naerasa posted:

I'm still trying to get the last couple of weapons for characters I hate. I've got most chars high level and fully equipped by now, but Zant, Agitha and Summoning Gate Lana have gotten very little love. I finally got Zant's Lv 2 today and I think I have a much better sense of how he works, but he still feels weak compared to some of the other guys.

I did Zant's lvl 2 weapon today and it took me about 6 or 7 tries to do it. Meanwhile the lvl 3 gauntlets took me one try. I've only been playing this for a few days and I already feel like I'm never going to be able to complete this game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don't understand the requirements for the Hard Skulltula for the Ganondorf Gerudo Desert mission. Do you have to capture every keep before killing any of the Lizalfoses and Aeralfoses? Then kill each and every one of them? Then kill 2/3 big bosses? Without any of the keeps falling?

Because if so, that's really stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don't understand the requirements for the Hard Skulltula for the Ganondorf Gerudo Desert mission. Do you have to capture every keep before killing any of the Lizalfoses and Aeralfoses? Then kill each and every one of them? Then kill 2/3 big bosses? Without any of the keeps falling?

Because if so, that's really stupid.

Don't worry, it's not that! First, capture all the keeps and kill all the Aeralfos and Lizalfos. Second, spawn the Giant bosses. Third kill the new Aeralfos and Lizalfos that spawn along with the bosses, as well as two of the three bosses. That last step is probably what you were missing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jibo posted:

I did Zant's lvl 2 weapon today and it took me about 6 or 7 tries to do it. Meanwhile the lvl 3 gauntlets took me one try. I've only been playing this for a few days and I already feel like I'm never going to be able to complete this game.

There is a simple explanation for the difference between your experiences with each mission: Zant is poo poo terrible and gauntlet Link is ridiculously good. But just work toward little goals at a time, like a specific weapon or something, and you'll be getting through the map in no time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Speaking of unlocking weapons, you people weren't kidding about Volga's level 3 weapon unlock being super easy to get, especially considering how easy it is to get to that square on the map. I guess I'll be putting off getting the level 2 weapon as long as possible now.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Speaking of unlocking weapons, you people weren't kidding about Volga's level 3 weapon unlock being super easy to get, especially considering how easy it is to get to that square on the map. I guess I'll be putting off getting the level 2 weapon as long as possible now.

It doesn't matter if you unlock it at this point, since you've unlocked level 3, that also unlocks level 2 of the weapon. You can get it for completion sake though v:v:v

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

So I did one of those quiz-style trial missions today in adventure mode, and I can officially confirm that it doesn't matter whether or not the camera is on the wrong target when the correct one goes down. In one of them I got a drop from someone halfway across the room, and in another the camera was facing both of them dead on and the wrong one just disappeared when I beat the right one.

So I guess it's just random? I dunno. :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't worry, it's not that! First, capture all the keeps and kill all the Aeralfos and Lizalfos. Second, spawn the Giant bosses. Third kill the new Aeralfos and Lizalfos that spawn along with the bosses, as well as two of the three bosses. That last step is probably what you were missing.

I can kill the lizalfoses while I am capturing the keeps? What if the keeps get taken back? Man, hunting all those dudes down is gonna suck.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I can kill the lizalfoses while I am capturing the keeps? What if the keeps get taken back? Man, hunting all those dudes down is gonna suck.

Yes, order doesn't matter, and getting recaptured doesn't matter either, just take them back. It's really not hard.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Cobalt Chloride posted:

So I did one of those quiz-style trial missions today in adventure mode, and I can officially confirm that it doesn't matter whether or not the camera is on the wrong target when the correct one goes down. In one of them I got a drop from someone halfway across the room, and in another the camera was facing both of them dead on and the wrong one just disappeared when I beat the right one.

When it comes to quizzes, in my experience regular captains (lizalfos, poes etc.) will only give drops if they are the correct target, the other won't. The playable characters (Impa, Zelda etc.) on the other hand usually both will give drops as long as I manage to hit them both with the last attack. What I like to do is whittle down the correct answer while keeping the incorrect answers health as high as I can, until the correct answers health is low enough that I can finish them with a special attack, and then catch both of them in the special. Remember to use the boomerang to stun the incorrect answer and lure the correct answer away from them while you're doing the whittling.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cobalt Chloride posted:

It's probably because things get a little weird if you get a kill that causes the camera to suddenly swing to a different, dynamic viewpoint. Sometimes it acts like the camera is still in the position you had it in beforehand but sometimes it acts like the camera is in the new position. The best way around this is doing what Alacron suggested and hitting both enemies with the killing blow, even though that is not strictly necessary for getting a drop from the incorrect target.

Also, like I mentioned in my huge list post from before, normal captains don't drop items when they're the incorrect target most likely because they're never flagged to drop items when they retreat, only when they are killed. Playable characters can drop items in either situation, which is why this tends to work.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

This level gave me the most grief a video game has given in a modern history.

I had to cheat and use the two player trick. I let player two be Princess Zelda. I used a much better character and even with my best character I still barely pulled that off. If anyone wants to repeat this, quickly move Princess Zelda to the fairy fountain that is under ally control and use a piece of tape to hold down the defend button. Zelda will be okay until more severe bosses appear near there. Also, have Zelda smash open the yellow jar to get a special meter filled up. As you play with Player 1, look at Zelda's screen every so often to see that she is still okay. If you have her on the Gamepad, the Gamepad will vibrate if she's under attack so you can hear/feel it if the Gamepad is near you.

So, to recap, as soon as the level begins, run Zelda to the fairy fountain, smash the yellow jar to fill her special meter, pause the game, tape down the defend button, then unpause. You can do this in about 45 seconds. Now, use player one to clean house. If Zelda is in immediate danger, press the A button to use her special to buy some time as you come to her aid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Summoning Gate down! Now I just have Darunia's Lv 3 and I'll have everything. Anyone have a good approach for it?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can see exactly where they are by pausing and going to battlefield info. It starts off showing the locations and health of your allies, but you can press left and right to cycle through enemy commanders, your keeps, and enemy keeps.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bruceski posted:

Summoning Gate down! Now I just have Darunia's Lv 3 and I'll have everything. Anyone have a good approach for it?

Here's what I posted before, good luck:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Darunia's level 3 took me several tries. One thing that was a huge help was having a 5 star level 2 weapon with Strength IV and Fire+ on it, because his C4 combo (that's the hammer pound that makes the fire spread forward across the ground in a cone shape) is a ridiculous crowd clearer that just gets even better with those two abilities. I think the path I eventually followed was something like:

- At the start, run forward and use C4 on Ganondorf's group of dudes once or twice.
- Go to the objective keep just south of there and lower its health but don't capture it.
- Head south while quickly killing the two Siege Captains that spawn.
- Take out the two objective keeps in the far south.
- Ignore the objective Shield Moblin that spawns in your keep until he moves to your Allied Base. Instead, finish taking the keep you weakened at the start and then take the final objective keep.
- Clear your base out. If you have to use Magic, do it. Otherwise, use the C4 combo a lot, use specials when they're stocked up, and weak point smashes when convenient. Also, it seemed like getting a Shield Moblin to block exactly two attacks made them belly flop often, so you can try to exploit that to help out.
- Finally, murder Link. This is the easy part of the scenario.

I wouldn't try to get the extra heart container and piece of heart in the same run; there's just too much stuff to do to spare the time to take those two extra keeps unless you're already overleveled.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's what I posted before, good luck:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time. It was rather overwhelming on my first foray.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just tried that mission for the first time and realized after 20 minutes of beating on nigh invulnerable moblins that I had forgotten to take a keep down. Oops.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Don't know if it's been posted but here's a big google doc of adventure/bonus/master map boss/lieutenant names on a spreadsheet, like a do it yourself farming guide.

:siren: NAMES ON A GRID :siren:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just got four more level 3 weapons, woop woop. I got Link's gauntlets, Sheik's harp, Lana's Deku Spear, and Ghiranim's swords or whatever it is he has. As I find areas where I need to search, I like to go back to areas I've already beaten but missed the A rank to get items, so that I can have another chance at getting heart pieces/containers, and that's also been working out well. Just a few more weapons to go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BAM! 6 seconds and 700 damage to spare, got Darunia's hammer and I now have everything.

Well, except skulltulas. And heart containers. And there's the master quest map.

I'm never gonna finish.

• Locked thread