Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

Apparently one of the offerings is actually kind of a gently caress you offering, especially in 2 player:

That's actually mediocre in 2-player, since your opponent can just select the same targets you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikujin posted:

That's actually mediocre in 2-player, since your opponent can just select the same targets you did.

Oh you're right I totally missed that :(

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Oh you're right I totally missed that :(

It is still a 5 mana 2 for 1, which isn't exactly horrible in 1 on 1 EDH (depending on playgroup).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

It is still a 5 mana 2 for 1, which isn't exactly horrible in 1 on 1 EDH (depending on playgroup).

Also has the literacy check upside that Council's Judgement has. It might only happen once, but it's still going to be so worth it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Looking through everything, I really like Gisa's art. I'm sad Geralf's card didn't have room for flavor text.

What did that art with the petrified Eldrazi go on?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh wow the red Offering isn't complete trash, nice!

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

mango sentinel posted:

Looking through everything, I really like Gisa's art. I'm sad Geralf's card didn't have room for flavor text.

What did that art with the petrified Eldrazi go on?

Just that article, I think. Also isn't that the first time not-dead Ugin has been depicted?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

redstormpopcorn posted:

Just that article, I think. Also isn't that the first time not-dead Ugin has been depicted?

Fate Reforged's promo art has not dead Ugin on it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I mostly play Xenagod as my general, so I'm really liking Siege Behemoth. I probably won't buy the green deck just for that, though.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Man, just when I thought the black deck was gonna be my go-to, the red deck looks fun as hell. Considering my paycheck is soon I may have to get both, though will probably bunk for the black one first and hold off for the other.

My local LGS equivalent thing we go to is actually not doing preorders as apparently Wizards might have printed enough in comparison to the previous commander releases. Anyone else hear anything like this?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
That green Oblivion Ring is all kinds if wrong.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

Aside from a few of the elf commons and maybe the medallions, there really aren't any reprints in those decks I was dying for. They all still seem like OK values at 30, 35 is pushing it maybe.

Probably going to keep my preorder still.

The medallions are pretty cool, it'd be nice to see them show up in foil somewhere though. It would be interesting to see the behind the scenes that goes into what gets changed around before the product in finalized in order to hit whatever target market value they shoot for in precons, especially since they tend to do a good job of keeping it right around MSRP (excluding True-Name Nemesis obviously). It would be great to see them be a little more aggressive and shoot for something like 125% of MSRP to push up initial sales and drive down prices on the chase singles inside over time, but I imagine they are very conscious of wanting the product to be available to casual players on release day so it'll probably never happen. There's a lot of underwhelming cards they're reprinting for the third plus time when there's tons of $5+ Commons, $10+ Uncommons, and $15+ Rares that could really use more copies floating around in the wild. There's no reason we need the third printing of Adarkar Valkyrie when Leyline of Sanctity or Auriok Champion would be just fine in the white deck. Why print Concentrate for the third time after printing Treasure Cruise when Remand or Cursecatcher could use a reprint? Serum Visions is a $7 common but instead they threw in the third printing of Into the Roil. Blood Moon would be a great inclusion here because it doesn't hose the kitchen table players who pick these up and play them against each other as is; instead, there are zero people who see the third printing of Starstorm on the decklist and think Nice! Also, it's super weird that they're reprinting Serra Avatar for the 6th time over Batterskull in Equipment.dec but they slammed Wurmcoil Engine into ArtifactShenanigans.dec, right?

I'm not saying WotC needs to put a Tarmogoyf in every pot or that precons should have zero garbage cards, but it would be sweet if they gave Modern players a pat on the back that says "don't worry lil buddy, we're paying attention and trying to keep modern accessible but not too accessible since you should really just be playing standard :kheldragar:."

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Man, just when I thought the black deck was gonna be my go-to, the red deck looks fun as hell. Considering my paycheck is soon I may have to get both, though will probably bunk for the black one first and hold off for the other.

My local LGS equivalent thing we go to is actually not doing preorders as apparently Wizards might have printed enough in comparison to the previous commander releases. Anyone else hear anything like this?
Why not buy both?
Really though I like the Black one much more than the Red one, probably because of the whole Demon subtheme, love that poo poo.

Angry Grimace posted:

That green Oblivion Ring is all kinds if wrong.
I really want to see Maros reaction to it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

neetengie posted:

Why not buy both?
Really though I like the Black one much more than the Red one, probably because of the whole Demon subtheme, love that poo poo.

His blog is almost all him bitching about it right now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

His blog is almost all him bitching about it right now.

Hornet Queen probably should have been black, but I don't know how MaRo can be upset with "flavorful green creature removal" when blue gets "flavorful destroy creature":

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing Kibler's Temur aggro list lately and the deck is bananas great. Won a small SCG tourney at my FLGS which got me a free tournament entrance and a month of plat. Also prizes!

Standard week:

R1 Vs Abzan aggro: win 2-1
(I win die roll, boxcars!)
G1: opponent goes Deathdealer, anafenza, siege rhino. And has downfalls for backup, I get beat down pretty swiftly. My first 3 draws are all craters claws (wtf?!?)

Sideboard: in 3x hunt the hunter, 3x stormbreath.

G2: opponent goes into the tank for a minute or two before keeping his seven. Then does nothing all game as I aggro him out. After the game my opponent shows me a hand with zero white sources, and says his first three draws were all fleecemanes. Whoops.

G3: T2 knuckleblade, T3 polukranos, hunt the hunter clears out his siege rhino blocker and he just dies.

R2 vs 4 colour (no U). Win 2-0
(I win die roll)
G1: this is a long, back-and-forth game. Opponent has downfalls and utter ends for days. I punch him down to 2 he drops double coursers and starts gaining life again, and suddenly I'm at 2 life. Finally opponent is at 8 and I swing in with knuckleblade and Phoenix (opponent has untapped stormbreath and caryatids) opponent decides not to block the phoenix and a bestowed boon satyr gets me in for exactsies.

Sideboard: in: stormbreaths, hunt the hunters, counterspells. Out: temur charms, sarkhan, assorted 1-ofs

G2: I assume my opponent keeps a really awkward hand because his first 3 turns are play fetchland, pass turn. I go elf, knuckleblade, heir, heir (being sure to keep mana up to represent counter magic) Opponent finally gets to 5 and tries to drop a stormbreath, I snap disdainful stroke it, swing in for 10 and by then my opponent is so far behind he's got nothing.

R3 vs Jeskai wins. Win 2-0
(I lose the die roll)

G1: I keep a 2 lander(g/u painland and a mountain) with 3 dorks (2x elf and rattleclaw)
Opponent kills my T1 elf, and kills my rattleclaw. When he sees that I don't play a land on T3 he Jeskai charms my mana dork on top of my library and goes "HELL YEAH YOU JUST GOT TIME WALKED!"
So next turn I cast the elf again and my opponent snap Jeskai charms it again while once again stating that he's time-walking me. Which is true I guess, sure.
So I play the elf again (no he's lair charm this time) next turn I draw and play a frontier bivouac. In response to this my opponent goes "OH MAN A TAPLAND?!? I AM GAINING SO MUCH TEMPO OVER HERE IT'S INSANE!!"
Which is true I guess? He was at six lands and I had just played my third.

On the other hand I then proceeded to untap, play polukranos, and start swinging in for 5 each turn. He dropped a mantis rider that I immediately bolted, and then continued to beat him to death.

I guess tempo isn't everything.

G2: I get a T2 knuckleblade and keep counters and burn up for everything he has.

R4 vs dimir control
(I win the die roll, boxcars again!!!!)

G1: I manage to keep dropping threats and eventually he runs out of answers and just dies

G2: my 7 has no land, my 6 has 5 land and a knuckleblade, which immediately gets thoughtseized. Then I draw land for 4 turns. After that I'm so far behind I just lose.

G3: is a long back and forth of him trying to keep me off ferocious, and me punching in for damage. The game ended when he went for a dig through time, and I flashed in a boon satyr so I could stubborn denial. Then I just untapped, and dropped a ferocious craters claw for lethal. Feels good man.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

neetengie posted:

He's going to hate it since it's green creature kill that doesn't involve their creatures, pretty sure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

Hornet Queen probably should have been black, but I don't know how MaRo can be upset with "flavorful green creature removal" when blue gets "flavorful destroy creature":

Maro doesn't like those cards and only says Hybridization is okay because a 3/3 isn't terrible. I agree with him; precedent is irrelevant. It just gives excuses to keep making broken cards.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BXCX posted:

I'm not saying WotC needs to put a Tarmogoyf in every pot or that precons should have zero garbage cards, but it would be sweet if they gave Modern players a pat on the back that says "don't worry lil buddy, we're paying attention and trying to keep modern accessible but not too accessible since you should really just be playing standard :kheldragar:."

They've reprinted Shocks, Thoughtseize, and Fetchlands in rapid succession I don't think they can push modern reprints much more without Standard flat out becoming an unappealing option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Oblivion Ring get around protection from white?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Rinkles posted:

Does Oblivion Ring get around protection from white?
No, O-Ring is White and targets.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They've reprinted Shocks, Thoughtseize, and Fetchlands in rapid succession I don't think they can push modern reprints much more without Standard flat out becoming an unappealing option.

Just ban goyf, problem solved.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

neetengie posted:

No, O-Ring is White and targets.

So what am I missing here?

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/528203552297353219

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Emrakul has protection from colored spells, not abilities.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Maro basically gives the answer I would give:

quote:

deetsposts said: Why does Song of Dryads make you sad? Isn't it like Lignify, Beast Within, etc.? Also, if Green can turn forests into creatures (Nissa) why can't it change them back?

Isn’t this card that makes you sad just like other cards that make you sad?

The problem when one out-of-color-pie card gets printed it leads to other cards getting printed down the road that use it as precedent. I get sad when I see them because I know it just means more work for me later. (“But we made Card X that you fought with us not to make way back when…”)

There is a big difference, by the way, between animating lands and deanimating creatures.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Emrakul has pro spells but oblivion ring exiles on a triggered ability.

Edit: beaten of course. Though for some content I was bummed to see no ophiomancer reprint. My cube needs those tokens :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Aye, brainfart. Thanks

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
WHen Maro shits on his colleagues designs the moment they are released it makes me feel like he's a difficult person to work with.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

netcat posted:

WHen Maro shits on his colleagues designs the moment they are released it makes me feel like he's a difficult person to work with.

They're all people he hired though, aren't they? And honestly, they should probably know better than to print green Oblivion Ring.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Comeuppance seems like the wordiest card in a while.

Gallery link for other unrevealed cards

RubberJohnny fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 31, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

They're all people he hired though, aren't they? And honestly, they should probably know better than to print green Oblivion Ring.

Why? other than "Maro cares a lot about the color pie"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Just ban standard, problem solved.

Seriously it is perpetually the worst format.

E: now that block is gone I mean

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Why? other than "Maro cares a lot about the color pie"

Because the fact that colors have distinct identities is what makes Magic good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chamale posted:

Yup. I play Dredge as well, and though
I have plenty of Pithing Needles and Nature's Claims, I don't currently have anything in the 75 that can kill a 2/2 creature outside of combat. It may be time to start running Swords To Plowshares again.

Doesn't Dredge usually play Firestorms in the side?

And I can't wait until someone drops that new hatebear in off of a Show and Tell, only to realize that no, it doesn't work that way.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

That doesn't mean colors can't do certain things ever. Six years ago Maro would have stamped his feet and bitched and moaned about green ever seeing conditional removal, and now "fight" is a mechanic firmly in greens wheelhouse, to the benefit of the game, especially in limited environments.

The slippery slope argument is dumb, its perfectly possible to protect distinct color identities and explore a way a color might do something it typically doesn't it's just harder than having a big moan about the color pie like its sacred.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

is there an argument behind this or just the assertion because colors having distinct identities would be pretty far down my list

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It does mean you need to think about what the heck you're doing and why, and how it fits with the game both mechanically and flavorfully. Rules can be broken, but you should only break them if you have a really good reason to. Randomly giving green a universal answer to every permanent ever is... not that, especially when green is explicitly supposed to have a hard time dealing with creatures bigger than its own. That kind of thing just dilutes the color pie for no good reason that I can think of.

Edit: ^^^ why even have colors if every color can do everything? One of the fundamental principles of deckbuilding is that because every color can't do everything, your choice of color to play is actually meaningful.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 31, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

Just ban goyf, problem solved.

I would be ok with this, unless they intend to do a heavy reprint. Goyf is basically the barrier that stops me from playing a lot of decks with green. I can deal with the costs of stuff like liliana and bob, but goyf is a hard one to choke down.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Edit: ^^^ why even have colors if every color can do everything? One of the fundamental principles of deckbuilding is that because every color can't do everything, your choice of color to play is actually meaningful.

lmao are you serious dude "WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE LAWS IF PEOPLE BREAK THEM"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao are you serious dude "WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE LAWS IF PEOPLE BREAK THEM"

This is literally completely incoherent, geez. Let's not get so mad about wizard poker, yeah?

• Locked thread