Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Vorax are up
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/VORAX_BATTLE_AUTOMATA.html
Dunno if I would ever run them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Search my posts. I've talked and posted about the ravenguard rhino rush in this thread (I won dark star with it) I'm on my phone or I'd quote and expand more on it.

Now that imp Knights are harder to kill compared to 6th I don't think it's top tier but it's still a headache for every army.

Thanks, I'll check out your posts in this thread. I have an 1850 point game against Tau this weekend and I want a solid foundation for a list.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Ghost Hand posted:

This is 100% correct. If you talk to any of the writers/design staff they will tell you the 40k universe is a setting not a story. They have no intention of advancing it.

Of course never say never... but it certainly isn't in the plans.

Ghost Hand check your PM's buddy.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hows yours experiences with printing out decals? I'm looking for some russian-ish red stars for my guardsmen. Preferably something that will fit on the shoulderpad, abit bigger for the turrets of my tanks, and then biggest for the sides of my tanks/flyers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Print a stencil and paint the stars?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

NTRabbit posted:

Print a stencil and paint the stars?

I tried freehanding the small stars, but :effort: I imagine using a stencil to paint stars onto the shoulderpad of 95 guardsmen would be double the :effort:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah, but they already do that, conscious or not. I'm not against them killing of characters or making changes that affect the universe. It can keep teetering on the brink, which is a big part of the selling point, but you get more impactful stories when you strangle people's babies.

Eh, kinda. Not providing new rules for a character is effectively the same, arguably worse because as others note, killing a dude in story hasn't stopped people from using that dude. Of course, in Eldrad's case it caused all sorts of fighting over whether or not one should use him.

But beyond that, you can tell impactful stories without killing main characters and without making major changes to the setting. Black Library does so on a regular basis from what I hear. And remember, the ultimate point of the setting is not telling stories to you, but providing you with a context for telling your own stories on the table. The zero hour main event of the setting, the Horus Heresy, was not a part of RT. It was made up later to explain why the red models fought the blue models in Adeptus Titanicus.

And yeah, "the Warp did it" is the perfect answer to any fluff question that arises on the table. It's almost like it was intentionally written that way. :)

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Does anyone have any good tutorials on weathering drop pods and aircraft? I want my Fire Raptor to look lovingly preserved but ancient, with fresh reentry scars, and I'm about to start painting my drop pod to practice. With the exception of the Space Shuttle Orbiter's belly, all of the RL aircraft I can find for reference are much lighter-colored than mine (which are purple) so I don't just want to ape what I see on an F-16.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PeterWeller posted:

And that was a good idea. Eldrad was exhibit A in the case against giving 40K an evolving story. The last thing GW should do is write stories that tell people they can't play with their toys anymore.

And besides that, there are ten thousand years and millions of planets with which to tell stories.

Are you kidding me? You couldn't be more wrong if your life dependent on it. No one wasn't able to use Eldrad because he was dead, :wtf:.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

Are you kidding me? You couldn't be more wrong if your life dependent on it. No one wasn't able to use Eldrad because he was dead, :wtf:.

My bad for phrasing it that way. Of course you were still able to use him, but his death caused a whole lot of dumb arguing about whether you should use him. And that was just one of the many dumb arguments spawned by that campaign.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

It's important to note that EoT occurred when special characters required opponents' consent for use.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Is Lord Solar Macharius absent from the latest IG codex? :smith:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Post 9-11 User posted:

He hasn't been around since 4th ed.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

It's important to note that EoT occurred when special characters required opponents' consent for use.

Good point. But that was another dumb idea they dropped because it got in the way of setting up games.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sulecrist posted:

I used to never use Chapter Master equivalents in my armies because there's no way they'd be leading a force that small.

I still don't :colbert:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Direwolf posted:

I used to never use Chapter Master equivalents in my armies because there's no way they'd be leading a force that small.

I still don't :colbert:

I see most 40k games being about the most important movements in much larger battles. If a Chapter Master goes to war, he doesn't necessarily need two hundred battle-brothers crammed into 1.5 hectars like on the front of a BL book. We don't generally use models for supply trains and drop ships, so if I'm playing Guard I don't feel weird about having Major Soandso show up with just a few platoons and a tank squadron from a completely different regiment.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

My bad for phrasing it that way. Of course you were still able to use him, but his death caused a whole lot of dumb arguing about whether you should use him. And that was just one of the many dumb arguments spawned by that campaign.

If by 'a lot' you mean 'not enough for anyone to care'. Seriously, no one who was going to use it cared. Dumb arguing is going to happen no matter what and isn't actually going to influence what people use or why. That's a non-argument.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

There's a rule in blood bowl that if both coaches hire the same star player then neither player gets to use him but they both lose the money for hiring him. The rationale being that the player conned both coaches of their cash and then didn't show up.

So just do that. With spirit stones.

I think I love this more than the 'one of them is Alpharius/Tzeentch/whatever' explanation, just because it serves as not only a lore bandaid but a corrective 'gently caress you' if you run into the case where everybody's using the same overpowered special character(s).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

Dumb arguing is going to happen no matter what and isn't actually going to influence what people use or why.

It sure does. Why do you think they have made such a push to establish FW stuff as "official"?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Solar Macharius has always bugged me in 40k. I like the idea of space-Alexander, but the implementation is terrible. To a lesser extent Creed is the same. Those sort of characters are involved at too great a scale to show up on the table. I know scale in the 40k background is a huge can of worms, but I leafed through the tie-in books about Macharius (completely forgettable as far as I recall) and it was basically him doing a junior officer's job, personally leading assaults, etc. Silly thing to complain about, I know, but the idea of a general capable of operating on such a high level is really cool and has never been handled right.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Being able to spend points on the influence/leadership of a particular commander to give you a special rule or ability without having them show up on the table would be fluffier.

Of course then GW couldn't sell you their model :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JerryLee posted:

Being able to spend points on the influence/leadership of a particular commander to give you a special rule or ability without having them show up on the table would be fluffier.

I was thinking this exactly.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So I'm running a 2K point Stronghold Assault list, using whatever stuff I can scrape together fortification wise. Its Imperial Guard, and the rub is that I have to basically use pretty much only infantry (narrative gaming!)

How does this sound for a hypothetical list:

Fortifications:

- Aegis Defence Line w/ Quadgun - 100
- Bunker w/ Ammo Dump - 70 pts
- Bastion w/ Ammo Dump - 90 pts

Imperial Guard:

- Yarrick - 145 pts
- W/ 30 Conscripts - 90 pts

- CCS w/ MoO, Chimera - 145 pts

- PCS w/ 4 Flamers, Chimera - 115 pts
- 50 Guardsmen, 5 flamers, 5 Power Axes - 350 pts
- HWT w/ 3 Lascannons - 105pts

- 50 Guardsmen, 5 Lascannons - 350 pts
- HWT w/ 3 Autocannons - 75pts

- Primaris Psyker ML2 - 75pts

I've got 25 pts to play with (1975), I was thinking maybe priests? Inquisitors would be a no brainer, but this is narrative again.
HWTs would be in the fortifications, inside + on the battlements, rerolling 1s for shooting. Though can you give orders to units in buildings?

I'm probably facing a Green Tide + some Night Lords. 50 man blobs might be a bit unwieldy I'm thinking. I haven't really run horde guard before. That list gives me like 150 bodies.

I also have a str 9 AP3 free MoO shot from the mission itself (mission 1 stronghold assault).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I would drop the HWT in the first blob squad and put those lascannons into the infantry squads. This will net you several extra points. I would do as you were thinking and HIGHLY recommend putting a priest into each blob, if you can find the points for it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Master Twig posted:

I would drop the HWT in the first blob squad and put those lascannons into the infantry squads. This will net you several extra points. I would do as you were thinking and HIGHLY recommend putting a priest into each blob, if you can find the points for it.

Cheers for the quick reply. I think this, and then adding in a priest per squad will probably nail it. I can have one squad aggressively deployed (with flamers) to shoot the gently caress out of the enemy and maybe even go aggressive (lol) or absorb the charge. Yarrick will be used to plough into enemy squads and give orders.

With the precision shot order, has it been FAQd? Do I need to roll 6s to hit to make them allocatable, or is it every single shot I fire?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the painting thread:

BULBASAUR posted:

Anybody have some spare IG trackguards? I need a good number for some heavy duty conversions. These guys right here:

Willing to pay, trade, or give ham jobs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I may have a few but need to get home first. Send me a pm if I forget

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Lord Twisted posted:

Cheers for the quick reply. I think this, and then adding in a priest per squad will probably nail it. I can have one squad aggressively deployed (with flamers) to shoot the gently caress out of the enemy and maybe even go aggressive (lol) or absorb the charge. Yarrick will be used to plough into enemy squads and give orders.

With the precision shot order, has it been FAQd? Do I need to roll 6s to hit to make them allocatable, or is it every single shot I fire?

Must roll a 6 to hit. In 7th they added the precision shot special rule and it says that any model that has it precision shots on a roll of 6.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Must roll a 6 to hit. In 7th they added the precision shot special rule and it says that any model that has it precision shots on a roll of 6.

Bah, nowhere near as good. Wanted to unleash 150 lasgun shots at his warboss or painboss in the Tide. Will make do through volume of firepower.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

Does anyone have any good tutorials on weathering drop pods and aircraft? I want my Fire Raptor to look lovingly preserved but ancient, with fresh reentry scars, and I'm about to start painting my drop pod to practice. With the exception of the Space Shuttle Orbiter's belly, all of the RL aircraft I can find for reference are much lighter-colored than mine (which are purple) so I don't just want to ape what I see on an F-16.

What color are they? Do you have an airbrush?

PeterWeller posted:

Eh, kinda. Not providing new rules for a character is effectively the same, arguably worse because as others note, killing a dude in story hasn't stopped people from using that dude. Of course, in Eldrad's case it caused all sorts of fighting over whether or not one should use him.

But beyond that, you can tell impactful stories without killing main characters and without making major changes to the setting. Black Library does so on a regular basis from what I hear. And remember, the ultimate point of the setting is not telling stories to you, but providing you with a context for telling your own stories on the table. The zero hour main event of the setting, the Horus Heresy, was not a part of RT. It was made up later to explain why the red models fought the blue models in Adeptus Titanicus.

And yeah, "the Warp did it" is the perfect answer to any fluff question that arises on the table. It's almost like it was intentionally written that way. :)

I agree that you can write impactful stories without killing people off. But for me a major turn-off to 40k fluff is that you always know the ending and there is never really any resolution (for major characters at least). When one fan favorite character duels another fan favorite character its basically comic-book-character vs comic-book-character. When you buy a codex you expect the same old story with maybe a new model and a few quietly retconned ones. To me this is a big case of blue balls with no tension.

That said, Black Library isn’t exactly highly rated literature and 40k is a game where you play with plastic dolls, so my expectations are definitely unrealistic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

I agree that you can write impactful stories without killing people off. But for me a major turn-off to 40k fluff is that you always know the ending and there is never really any resolution (for major characters at least). When one fan favorite character duels another fan favorite character its basically comic-book-character vs comic-book-character. When you buy a codex you expect the same old story with maybe a new model and a few quietly retconned ones. To me this is a big case of blue balls with no tension.

That said, Black Library isn’t exactly highly rated literature and 40k is a game where you play with plastic dolls, so my expectations are definitely unrealistic.

I don't think your expectations are unrealistic because you're asking too much from low grade material, but because you're asking for something that runs at cross purposes with the stories. GW would likely say that you will find that tension and resolution on the table. As Ghosthand said, 40K is a setting, not a story.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

It sure does. Why do you think they have made such a push to establish FW stuff as "official"?

That's a completely different issue of in-game legality and you know it, come the gently caress on dude.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Fortifications:

- Aegis Defence Line w/ Quadgun - 100
- Bunker w/ Ammo Dump - 70 pts
- Bastion w/ Ammo Dump - 90 pts

Imperial Guard:

- Yarrick - 145 pts
- W/ 30 Conscripts - 90 pts

- CCS w/ MoO, Chimera - 145 pts

- 50 Guardsmen, 5 flamers, 5 Power Axes - 350 pts
- HWT w/ 3 Lascannons - 105pts

- 50 Guardsmen, 5 Lascannons - 350 pts

I'm probably facing a Green Tide + some Night Lords. 50 man blobs might be a bit unwieldy I'm thinking. I haven't really run horde guard before. That list gives me like 150 bodies.

I also have a str 9 AP3 free MoO shot from the mission itself (mission 1 stronghold assault).

Not sure what bunkers with ammo dumps do, if they let you re-roll hits that's awesome. I'd stick Yarrick in with the blob that has the power axes, that way the sergeants can accept challenges instead of him. With the conscripts he's going to get challenged out while the conscripts just die. Put a priest with the conscripts so they can charge something and get to re-roll their armour saves. It'll make them a much tougher speed bump.

The MoO with the CCS won't be able to shoot if you move the Chimera - unless you get the warlord trait that makes the Company commander and his unit relentless. But you probably want to use Yarrick as your Warlord, because Draconian Disciplinarian is friggin godly when you are running hordes and hordes of lovely guardsmen. I think the MoO is a good choice, but I'd hide the unit in a bunker or something so they can just sit there and he can blast away while your commander issues orders.

HWT are a bit of a double edged sword. Anything S6 and higher will murder them faster than you can pick them up. But if you put them in your blob squads you're not going to get the most out of your lasguns. Although it could be friggin sweet to get the "Take Aim" order off on the a blob with embeded lascannons and snipe enemy models with a huge loving laser! I use HWT sometimes, but mostly as mortar squads to sit behind cover on objectives and to annoy enemy infantry. They can be good, but their low leadership and inability to get vox casters means they won't follow your orders as much as you'd like. That said, unless you're taking sentinels (that would be fluffy right? Light walking vehicles?) then HWT are probably your best choice for more heavy weapons. And as a mostly foot guard player, I always advocate for as many heavy weapons as possible. Just something to consider!

Edit: I'm assuming mobility isn't a question for you since you'll be getting attacked. But you may want to break the second blob squad up into 20 and 30 man units just so you can hit more targets (or even 20, 20, 10). With four units that can issue orders you'll have enough to make use of the squads, and if you're getting assaulted you won't lose all those shots because you're fighting off two space marines. With Yarrick near the smaller squads morale won't be much of an issue, because they won't need to take leadership tests for 25% causalities.

E2: Drop the Chimera on the CCS. Put them in a bunker. That should leave you enough points for 2-3 Priests and the Heirloom of Conquests that allows your orders to automatically succeed on a double. One priest with the conscripts to man the quadgun, one to go with Yarrick and the Flamer/Power Axe blob to make them an even nastier CC unit.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 31, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

That's a completely different issue of in-game legality and you know it, come the gently caress on dude.

Nah man, it's ultimately the same issue. The purpose of the rules and the fluff is to give you reasons to collect and play with your toys.

Look at it another way: if that story caused someone to not buy or use Eldrad, it's of no practical difference to if concerns about balance caused someone to not buy or use, I dunno, a contemptor. In both cases, the model wasn't bought or put on the table, and the fluff and rules failed at their primary purpose.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Nah man, it's ultimately the same issue. The purpose of the rules and the fluff is to give you reasons to collect and play with your toys.

Look at it another way: if that story caused someone to not buy or use Eldrad, it's of no practical difference to if concerns about balance caused someone to not buy or use, I dunno, a contemptor. In both cases, the model wasn't bought or put on the table, and the fluff and rules failed at their primary purpose.

No one cares about whether or not the character is dead. That is literally a non-argument. If the rules are worth using, people will use it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Q: When is your default delivery address not your default delivery address?

A: When GW's lovely, lovely, website decides to charge you for postage then send your stuff to a shop anyway.

I thought I'd hosed up at first, but no. The website order history lists it as "Standard 2-3 working days" as opposed to "Games Workshop store delivery and pick-up" so yeah.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Good point. To continue on a tangential whine though, there are too many 'invisible' rules in the game these days. Am I being a grognard if I think that? I mean rules which are not directly tied to a model or physical aspect of your army - things like formation bonuses, warlord traits, etc. Even psychic powers to some degree, though that is even more part of the 'too much random poo poo to roll for before even beginning' problem. A few special rules are what make armies unique, but there is so much stuff to keep track of. I can remember when a few very good special characters had bubble of effect that improved their own units. Now it's pretty much a universal thing and is sometimes applied formation-, detachment- or army-wide even without a focal model. I just get the impression the game is a mess.

On a more constructive note, I think that is a good army list Lord Twisted. I agree with the advice you've just been given on priest/yarrick placement and mobile MoO. I really, really agree that separate HWSs are a bad idea. I no longer take them if playing for keeps. 75 pts is better spent on an equipped infantry squad than those 3 bases. The concentrated firepower is tempting but it will only get 1 turn in - too many good armies can put a few S6+ shots down and just take them off immediately.

I am also not sure that 4 psyker levels is worth it in your army. You could save yourself 50 pts and take 2 lvl 1 psykers instead and still get a bit of that sweet sweet divination goodness.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am also not sure that 4 psyker levels is worth it in your army. You could save yourself 50 pts and take 2 lvl 1 psykers instead and still get a bit of that sweet sweet divination goodness.

He could drop the psykers down to lvl 1, drop a few conscripts and get a unit of veterans with meltabombs and a demolition charge to nuke any walkers or daemon princes that get too close. Or to whiff completely with the demo charge and blow themselves up! :madmax:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

No one cares about whether or not the character is dead. That is literally a non-argument. If the rules are worth using, people will use it.

Dude, there are tons of people who are real fluff bunnies about this kinda poo poo. You and I and many others may find it silly, but ours is not a universal viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sir Teabag posted:

He could drop the psykers down to lvl 1, drop a few conscripts and get a unit of veterans with meltabombs and a demolition charge to nuke any walkers or daemon princes that get too close. Or to whiff completely with the demo charge and blow themselves up! :madmax:

I have always wanted to mess about with demo veterans and/or demo charge spec weapon squads. Even got the bits, never quite got around to it. I think they could be effective with valkyries or maybe (this is a bit cheaty) escape hatch shenanigans.

• Locked thread