Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do wonder if Act 6 continues on into the new year - with the finale in April if we're lucky (for lots of content).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I was hoping for this Paradox Space to be a bit spookier but instead it was just kind of meh.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
A junji ito reference comic without a huge panel featuring a detailed close up of a horrific abomination from a twisted mind? Shameful.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

A junji ito reference comic without a huge panel featuring a detailed close up of a horrific abomination from a twisted mind? Shameful.

Actually, Cronus appears several times in the comic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Freak Futanari posted:

Actually, Cronus appears several times in the comic.

:golfclap:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So the moral of the story is don't be a creepy murderous sexual predator or a clown and a cat will throw you into a predestination loop while your undying victim taunts you. Just like your parents always told you.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Acne Rain posted:

Junji Ito does what? Horror manga?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fat_Cow posted:

Junji Ito does what? Horror manga?

Quite.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can't believe you didn't post the one with the shark

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Renaissance Robot posted:

I can't believe you didn't post the one with the shark

Uzumaki is fresher in my mind.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Uzumaki is fresher in my mind.

Gyo, on the other hand, is rotten.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
KC Green ruined Junji Ito for me, and I love him for it.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

frozentreasure posted:

And Hussie/WP isn't? How much merch do they have that stupid teenagers keep buying at this point?

WP in my view is a weird holding company that sorta coagulated into doing everything Homestuck. It's run more by inertia than business sense.

1. People asked for the music other people contributed for the flash pages, so they sold music on bandcamp.
2. Repeat with fanart for calendars/posters
3. Sells t shirts on topatoco like every other webcomic, but begins taking over the inane troll/class/godtier shirt things
~Kickstarter happens and you can buy all the merch you ever wanted for $600 per plush doll~
~Gigapause happens and there's no new updates for a year~
4. During the gigapause, when homestuck is sorta riding on residual popularity with no real momentum, WP begins flooding merch into cons and whatnot. They are now the world's largest resellers of zodiac symbol shirts in the 15-18 demographic.
5. WP takes over as a game company from The Odd Gentleman, who have probably not been doing that great of a job if they switched it over mid-project. This is like Nintendo running into the back of Lenscrafters to say, "No, stop selling eyeglasses to children with our name on it. We will be making them ourselves now." If anyone at Homestuck Industries LLC has any experience actually making games, it's probably whoever Hussie farmed out the programming of his flash games to (which isn't nothing).

(Wow, I remember too much inane poo poo.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Out of curiosity, how will people take it if the game project falls apart even with Hussie's sincerest effort? The Doublefine Adventure Game put out a ton of documentation of their process and had much more of a plan (and an actual game company) and even they got a lot of pushback and burned a lot of goodwill when they ran into cost and time crunches.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I wonder how much DoubleFine ironically shot itself in the foot with the "I AM A PAYING KICKSTARTER BACKER/PIONEER" crowd by revealing how hard/weird the game making process is with the documentary running alongside it.

But I don't think the HS crowd will be able to accomplish anything but some very entertaining blog posts about boycotts.

edit: Here's a good quote from the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter, which was asking for a similar fundraising goal:

quote:

Isn’t $900K a little cheap for the game you are promising?

Good question! Let us guess—you’ve worked in the game industry? :) Yes, it’s true—our internal estimates for the full production cost of this game are greater than our initial goal, especially once you take out the fees and reward costs. But that’s OK! Both Comcept and Inti Creates have the resources to forgo full funding to make this project happen, since both companies will benefit more than they would in a typical publisher-funded setup once the game releases. To put it simply, if enough fans are excited about this game to hit our initial goal, then we, the companies developing this game, are willing to put up more of our own money as well, right along there with you.

So, no, this is not a case where the initial goal is set irresponsibly low, risking everything in the hopes that the Kickstarter campaign will pay off over expectations and get us where we secretly, actually need to be financially. We do understand that concern, though, and kept it in mind when carefully setting our initial funding goal. More money over the initial goal would be wonderful—don’t get us wrong! :)—in that it could potentially reduce what our companies have to shoulder up front, and of course more importantly make for a lot more features and platforms and other stuff we’d love to see happen. But we have run the numbers and we are fully confident that, should we hit our initial goal and nothing more, we can make a great game that fulfills the promise of this project, both for our backers and for anyone else who plays the game.

By the way—if you have some spare time, you mind talking to any folks you might happen to see ask the next question? :)

Isn’t $900K a little expensive for the game you are promising?

Funny you should ask—you mind talking to any folks you see asking the question above? :)

Seriously, despite the fact that it’s a 2D game with its roots in the classic games of yesteryear, Mighty No. 9 is a full-scale production, being undertaken by professional developers—level and character designers, musicians, programmers—all with years and years of experience, who didn’t quit their jobs to make this project; in fact, it’s the companies they work for that are helping to make this happen! As mentioned elsewhere, the two primary collaborators on this project—Comcept and Inti Creates—are both indie developers willing to shoulder some of the budget in return for the profits once this game comes to market, but we still need a good amount of cash up front to make this happen. (It’s hard to think about awesome boss attack patterns when you are wondering if you will make the rent next month.)

In short, we can understand the question, but believe it or not, this is actually a very cheap minimum bar to set for this team and this project, especially after fees and reward costs are taken out. We set it as low as we could to make it happen, because we really, REALLY want to make sure it happens!

David Copperfield fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 31, 2014

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dolash posted:

Out of curiosity, how will people take it if the game project falls apart even with Hussie's sincerest effort? The Doublefine Adventure Game put out a ton of documentation of their process and had much more of a plan (and an actual game company) and even they got a lot of pushback and burned a lot of goodwill when they ran into cost and time crunches.

Homestuck fans are very used to crushing disappointment so i think we will be fine in the end.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
So if the game is being made in-house now, does that open up the door of possibility that the existing Homestuck Music Team will be doing the soundtrack? Or have they largely moved on to other things? I haven't followed them extensively, but I am fairly sure I remember Bowman, at least, saying that he has pretty much moved on to doing his own thing.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 31, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CidGregor posted:

So if the game is being made in-house now, does that open up the door of possibility that the existing Homestuck Music Team will be doing the soundtrack? Or have they largely moved on to other things? I haven't followed them extensively, but I am fairly sure I remember Bowman, at least, saying that he has pretty much moved on to doing his own thing.

Toby Fox is doing his own thing too, so he probably won't have the time to make Homestuck music.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The first Homestuck game soundtrack will consist entirely of old HS album tracks that did not get used in the main comic. The second game will have new music, and the soundtrack for that will be sold separately. Please look forward to it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CidGregor posted:

Most of us have gone our separate ways. I'm not sure when the last time a team member even spoke to Hussie was.

Edit to clarify: Doesn't mean there won't be a volume 10. No promises either way.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slime posted:

Toby Fox is doing his own thing too, so he probably won't have the time to make Homestuck music.

Speaking of, everyone should give Undertale a try, it's really interesting and I'm glad a kickstarted it.

http://undertale.com/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if there will be an update in an hour...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I think that's a pretty good point of where things started "going downhill", if you are of the opinion that homestuck has gone downhill.

Hussie was extremely good at creating the effect that there were very big and mysterious things going on behind the curtain for the first few acts of homestuck, which is what really got me hooked in the first place. It really felt like the answers that would eventually come would be really satisfying. Anyone else remember reading the end of the Spades Slick intermission? That absolutely blew my mind, and is the reason that whole part is my favorite. Understandably, the effect of the first few acts has completely gone away, and I'm not even sure what important mysteries we're supposed to be pondering at this point are.
If remember, Hussie said that, at some point during what is now "Part 1" of Homestuck (Acts 1-4), he got the idea to have kid versions of the guardians. So he basically had to stretch out Act 5 to set up the concept of a scratch resetting the session and the player switcharoo. It would explain why the pacing started to get off track, but I think we also have to consider the effect of making Homestuck basically your entire life for about 2-3 years. Something had to give there.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rorus Raz posted:

If remember, Hussie said that, at some point during what is now "Part 1" of Homestuck (Acts 1-4), he got the idea to have kid versions of the guardians. So he basically had to stretch out Act 5 to set up the concept of a scratch resetting the session and the player switcharoo. It would explain why the pacing started to get off track, but I think we also have to consider the effect of making Homestuck basically your entire life for about 2-3 years. Something had to give there.

That could have been done really well, without even the scratch concept. Just shove a cliffhanger into the main story, and set this guardian-kids thing as an alternate universe entirely wherein the meteors crashed in opposite order, then contrive a way for the two universes to meet. It's been done by big name sci-fi authors, and pretty well at that, it's a viable option.

The big problem wasn't act 5, even if it did drag on for a while. The problem is that Hussie had no goddamn clue where to go after act 5's resolution of so many major mysteries of the comic. He couldn't just replicate the initial kids session, so he had to introduce all kinds of weird poo poo, which led to more weird poo poo, which got out of control.

I personally wish he'd just killed off every one of the alpha kids as soon as they were established characters, if only to invoke the same sense of "what the hell just happened?" that we just got from the recent flash. It would be an easy way to establish the new villain as well: have Lord English come and wreck the place, no need for Ms. Crocker. That's not to say I dislike these characters: Roxy is fantastic, and the Condesce is a serviceable replacement for Bec Noir (if not quite as intimidating.) But the characters piled up, the plot went haywire, and we got too many pages involving dialogue and character building, and too little plot resolution or creation or establishment of the villains of this specific scenario.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'd have to say my favorite flash is JOHN. RISE UP. It hit me like a sack of bricks the first time and it's still got a claw sunk in my soul today.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Flash talk: [S] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter is the best flash ever. Accept no substitutions. :colbert:

Both Ascend flashes are pretty awesome too.

And even though it's overrated, the Black Hole/Green Sun part of Cascade. The electric guitars, the violins, and the money shot of Jade breaking the Fourth Wall. :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What does upset Jane there have to do with the points you are making

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
The panel where Jane is slamming the keyboard while looking away in frustration is a personal favorite. Probably my favorite in all of Homestuck.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I do wonder if Act 6 continues on into the new year - with the finale in April if we're lucky (for lots of content).

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we're still waiting for the end this time next year. I've noticed that Caliborn/Lord English gaining more influence and the story getting longer seem to go hand in hand. The first intermission was where we first heard about Lord English. Hivebent and the trolls are only in the story because Lil Cal needed to be brought into the Troll session via Jack to facilitate the creation of Doc Scratch. The act six sub acts started up right after we saw Lord English for the first time. Once Caliborn took full control of the narrative he instituted even more sub acts. Do note that Lord English hasn't properly arrived to the battlefield.

The story taking longer is a defense mechanism used by Caliborn/Lord English (the Lord of TIME) to put off the defeat that is demanded by the narrative. It's demanded because he is the clear villain. He is the cause, even if the cause/effect chains go long, of every bad thing to happen in the story. The sum total of his influence is that the story itself is calling for his defeat. But of course he doesn't want that, so he's giving himself all the time he can, abusing the pacing. Frankly, if we don't get a call back to this but with sub acts I'll be amazed. At this point we just want him to be defeated so the story can goddamn end.

Mind you John currently zipping about the narrative is a perfect counter to this defense.

While writing this, I remembered the fact that Lord English seems to have a familiar way of speaking. Now, if Caliborn isn't directly LE, what would be a more heinous act than corrupting our precious Mayor?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's 11/1, where's my update Huss-Man?!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Who What Now posted:

It's 11/1, where's my update Huss-Man?!
It'll probably be up tonight.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Grouchio posted:

It'll probably be up tonight.

I'd think it would be before then, otherwise he would've said 11/2. Most updates(including those since the gigapause) are at 1-2 am so there is some reason for surprise I suppose.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

_Endgame_ posted:

I'd think it would be before then, otherwise he would've said 11/2. Most updates(including those since the gigapause) are at 1-2 am so there is some reason for surprise I suppose.

Yes because Hussie certainly is well known for getting things done in a timely manner.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

GeneX posted:

I personally wish he'd just killed off every one of the alpha kids as soon as they were established characters, if only to invoke the same sense of "what the hell just happened?" that we just got from the recent flash. It would be an easy way to establish the new villain as well: have Lord English come and wreck the place, no need for Ms. Crocker. That's not to say I dislike these characters: Roxy is fantastic, and the Condesce is a serviceable replacement for Bec Noir (if not quite as intimidating.) But the characters piled up, the plot went haywire, and we got too many pages involving dialogue and character building, and too little plot resolution or creation or establishment of the villains of this specific scenario.

One of the major reasons to even have the alpha kids is to deliver on the guardian plotline from the start of the comic - each of the kids has a distant, unknowable guardian figure they don't really understand, and part of growing up is coming to terms with your parents/parent figures. They all get killed by Bec Noir before any of the kids really get to connect with them, so this new session is a chance for them to learn a little about who their guardians were.

If anything the alpha kids have a stronger thematic stake in the comic's coming-of-age story than the trolls, who were just another side-character distraction like the exiles meant to provide some background on the game that then slowly metastasized over the whole comic.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Dolash posted:

One of the major reasons to even have the alpha kids is to deliver on the guardian plotline from the start of the comic - each of the kids has a distant, unknowable guardian figure they don't really understand, and part of growing up is coming to terms with your parents/parent figures. They all get killed by Bec Noir before any of the kids really get to connect with them, so this new session is a chance for them to learn a little about who their guardians were.

Good thing everyone's still alive, then! :shepface:

Snarkiness aside, for all the pacing issues they introduced, the Alpha kids did give us Roxy, so they're a net improvement.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm mad that there's so many paradox spaces focusing on the trolls and the loving alpha trolls who didn't even do anything in-comic but none about the alpha kids. They're in an interesting setting with lots of room for elaboration before and after entering the game and also they're humans and not loving trolls, making them better characters by default.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Acne Rain posted:

I'm mad that there's so many paradox spaces focusing on the trolls and the loving alpha trolls who didn't even do anything in-comic but none about the alpha kids. They're in an interesting setting with lots of room for elaboration before and after entering the game and also they're humans and not loving trolls, making them better characters by default.

A friend of mine recently said that "wanting something that will definitely never happen is the core of Homestuck fandom," and I think that's about right.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Acne Rain posted:

I'm mad that there's so many paradox spaces

The root of the problem.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Hussie knows his tumblr fandom well enough that he doesn't want to have to compete with the first part of the Doctor Who finale. He will publish it half-way between the UK and American airings of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

glowing-fish posted:

Hussie knows his tumblr fandom well enough that he doesn't want to have to compete with the first part of the Doctor Who finale. He will publish it half-way between the UK and American airings of it.

wut?