Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Synonamess Botch posted:

any one of those things would be enough to make me seriously reevaluate my attitudes but lol faustus just keep on truckin' along. it must be loving miserable to define your self-worth on some stupid bullshit like guitars.
It's just a forum. An internet forum. Do you think I go about my real life mumbling about those "posters?"

It's. A. Forum. For. Discussion. Anonymously.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Dr. Faustus posted:

So, if some rear end in a top hat wants to hate on my guitars; then yeah, I would be interested to know if they can play or not.

When she comes home, I'll ask my girlfriend of the last 2 1/2 years if I'm "a horror to be around." She carries a snub-nosed .038, so if I am in trouble with her she could end it pretty quickly.

ahaha you are more insecure than a kid in puberty. what happened to you

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Faustus.

Faustus.

You do not need to defend your or your guitars' e-honor whenever someone impugns you or them in this or any other thread.

Let it gooooooooooo

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's just a forum. An internet forum. Do you think I go about my real life mumbling about those "posters?"

If we are being totally honest, I really do.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's. A. Forum. For. Discussion. Anonymously.

Yes, and this is what you need to tell yourself.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Synonamess Botch posted:

ahaha you are more insecure than a kid in puberty. what happened to you
Not at all, I am merely curious:
Good musicians don't hate on gear. They care about results. They care about making music.

My pleas for samples are simply to prove the rule: If you can play, who gives a poo poo what you play through?

In other words, the fallacy behind this loving abortion of a discussion thread.

hth

Schpyder posted:

Faustus.

Faustus.

You do not need to defend your or your guitars' e-honor whenever someone impugns you or them in this or any other thread.

Let it gooooooooooo
I'm just postin'. :justpost:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Good musicians don't hate on gear. They care about results. They care about making music.

My pleas for samples are simply to prove the rule: If you can play, who gives a poo poo what you play through?

hth

One cannot have an opinion about the aesthetics of a particular instrument unless they post a sound clip so you can vet their ability. lololol. What universe do you live in, how the hell did you end up in SA of all places? I think you are lost.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

hth

Please see a psychiatrist, or at least a psychologist.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

hth

Because the thread started out about ugly instruments (like yours), not music.

Good musicians hate on gear, just like good computer scientists hate on hardware, or artists on artwork. If you don't know what lovely is, then you have no baseline for calling anything good.

Also, no one is ever going to agree to your request because we have better things to do with our lives than prove to an old autist that we have the ability to play an instrument, so that you can masturbate over why you think you're better.

e:

Sleepflower posted:

Please see a psychiatrist, or at least a psychologist.

Seriously.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

hth

How have you not figured out that figured this out yet? People gently caress with you because we know that you'll freak out and challenge people to guitar duels and other spergy poo poo.

This has been said before, but are absolutely the least self-aware person in this forum, which is saying a poo poo load.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Faustus.

Faustus.

Skill is in no way a prerequisite for criticism. Particularly aesthetic criticism. Film critics are usually not accomplished filmmakers. Music critics are not usually accomplished musicians. Art critics are usually not accomplished artists.

Suggesting that criticism is invalidated because the critic is not accomplished in the field being criticized is a losing proposition every time.

I mean, it's not like we're saying JEMs are BAD guitars, they're actually fantastic to play. They're just (IMO) ugly and harken back to the worst excesses of deplorable 80's style.

It's kind of like DeWalt power tools. They're pretty darn good at being actual tools, but I think they look kinda dumb, like Stryper in impact drill form.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

HollisBrown posted:

How have you not figured out that figured this out yet? People gently caress with you because we know that you'll freak out and challenge people to guitar duels and other spergy poo poo.

This has been said before, but are absolutely the least self-aware person in this forum, which is saying a poo poo load.

Oh, he also thought this thread was created to shame him purposefully.

Talk to a shrink because the voices in your head aren't helping.

e: oh poo poo office hours are over, everyone else have fun with Faustus.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Dr. Faustus posted:

hth

it's fun to hate on gear, actually, and everybody does it. someone owns or like everything that has been hated on in this thread so why only you care so fuckin much when it's you?

your pleas for samples are because you are insecure and if you can prove to yourself that you're "better" than the person you disagree with then their opinion is wrong.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

One cannot have an opinion about the aesthetics of a particular instrument unless they post a sound clip so you can vet their ability. lololol What universe do you live in, how the hell did you end up in SA of all places?
I've been here 15 years.

You can have all the opinions of "aesthetics" you like, but too much of this is just :bandwagon: bullshit.

Musicians buy the tools that they need to make their music. Yes?
Those tools might look unattractive to you. Yes?
But have I ever put down a musician because their guitar was ugly to me? No.

That's just one of the reasons why this thread is so stupid. Another reason is that you idiots can't stop responding to me. Quit derailing the thread. Post some ugly guitars (even mine, I'll provide the hosting).

And yeah, call me a snob but if you can't play anything more technical than "Wish You Were Here" or "Closer To Fine" then you should probably reassess your opinions about guitars.

Anything else?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
also

Dr. Faustus posted:

who gives a poo poo what you play

nobody. nobody gives a poo poo what you, dr faustus, play.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Synonamess Botch posted:

nobody. nobody gives a poo poo what you, dr faustus, play.
What thread are you reading?

Hey, may vacation starts in a few hours and I have to do a shitload of shopping (ain't nothin' in Hot Springs) so carry on this derail without me. Impugn me as much as you like, I won't have time to respond until Tuesday.

Post some "ugly" guitars and move on with your lives.

Kisses, love you, mean it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Dr. Faustus posted:

finally conclusive proof that the reason faustus is so autistic because he actually thinks calling a dude's guitars ugly is a personal attack.

quote:

And yeah, call me a snob but if you can't play anything more technical than "Wish You Were Here" or "Closer To Fine" then you should probably reassess your opinions about guitars.

just personally i dont give a poo poo if the dude calling my guitar a piece of poo poo is joe pass or some kid who wouldn't know a 13th chord if it bit him on the foreskin. it wouldn't bother me either way because i'm not comically insecure.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Has Faustus ever posted any clips showing off his guitar skills?

I feel like he should have to go first, since he's the one with the ugly guitars.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

i cannot play a guitar but i feel i am human enough to have an opinion as complex as "i like/i do not like"

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've been here 15 years.

You can have all the opinions of "aesthetics" you like, but too much of this is just :bandwagon: bullshit.

Musicians buy the tools that they need to make their music. Yes?
Those tools might look unattractive to you. Yes?

That's just one of the reasons why this thread is so stupid. Another reason is that you idiots can't stop responding to me. Quit derailing the thread. Post some ugly guitars (even mine, I'll provide the hosting).

Anything else?

Since you actually care, and I am not emotionally invested in my gear.

All of them are kind of goofy in their own way. Especially the red mustang which is glorious.

edit: If I wear a I blue shirt I can be super patriotic when playing my SG/mustang out.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've been here 15 years.

this is the amazing thing. how are you so incompetent at how poo poo happens here after being around for so long?

Dirt posted:

I feel like he should have to go first, since he's the one with the ugly guitars.

i dont know but if he does then all of us would and he'll know we're all terrible and we shouldnt be talking about guitars!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I need to get some ugly guitars. All my stuff is p vanilla right now.

Ugly poo poo owns.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

On topic, I spent real money on this for some reason. The neck is poorly finished, shoulda played it more before I pulled the trigger :(

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Dr. Faustus posted:

What thread are you reading?

nobody gives a poo poo that you play a jem or whatever ugly guitar you play but you keep postin about em and defending em like it's your honor. i like a lot of ugly guitars personally. i want vernon reid's gaudy rear end ESP and i don't even play metal. it's still ugly and no one gives a poo poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Oops, forgot the ugly guitars:

Recorded on my Dell laptop with Amplitube 3 Fender and the Spector Legend 5 Classic bass, VT Bass pedal, drums I programmed using Toontrack EZ Drummer. It was the intro to an SRV tune meant to test the recording setup:
http://tindeck.com/listen/mpih

This one is the same guitar, but the backing track (rhythm guitar, drums, bass) were provided by a friend from the Musician's Lounge who wanted a solo display. Any instrument would be allowable, but we didn't have awesome hosting like Tindeck back then so it fizzled:
http://tindeck.com/listen/clxa

This is a messy but still worthy (I think) version of Joe Satriani's live performance of "Memories," from the Dreaming #11 EP. I took my RG770DX but played through a patch I wrote in my bassist's Rocktron Chameleon, so if it sounds a bit solid state... well, it is.

http://tindeck.com/listen/mghk

Peace.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 31, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

SaNChEzZ posted:

On topic, I spent real money on this for some reason.

That owns, it would own even more if it had trap inlay. :D

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

unlawfulsoup posted:

Since you actually care, and I am not emotionally invested in my gear.

All of them are kind of goofy in their own way. Especially the red mustang which is glorious.

Hey bro, I think you're guitar is kinda ugly. But I feel secure that we can both snicker about it and you won't show up this thread throwing a massive hissy fit every 2 weeks challenging me to a guitar-off.

Edit: Honestly I just hate EMG style pickups.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HollisBrown posted:

Hey bro, I think you're guitar is kinda ugly.

Uploading soundclips, if you can't shred as good as me you have to leave this thread at once because your opinion does not count.

>: (

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5iumzN4v4

loving :laffo:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Aww, you guys should be nicer to Faustus. His guitars are OK and he says some interesting poo poo sometimes.

I think that this guitar is kind of ugly in an awesome way, and I'd really like to own one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dirt posted:

he did actually, all i really remember was it was the typical technically proficient SRV/clapton playing with zero soul behind it, like a robot trying to recite poetry

i feel this thread should have a ringtone making competition or something, which is in the right spirit

worst use of musical equipment at least

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 31, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dewgy, no soul?

Goddamn, man. That hurts.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HollisBrown posted:

Edit: Honestly I just hate EMG style pickups.

They aren't EMGs, which I hate too. They are Gibson's unfortunate pickup cover choice for the '13 SGJ. :/

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
it's the truth, i genuinely don't know how to describe the strange dry quality to your clips any other way

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
But that Memories track is 100% live, off the mixing board. Surely it must have some liveliness to it?

Winery Dogs? (JEM70VSFG)PODHD desktop, sound from a Samsung video camera.
http://tindeck.com/listen/tuua

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 31, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i'm basing this off of a recording of texas flood you posted a while back, lovely Internet right now sadly so can't listen to more

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

i'm basing this off of a recording of texas flood you posted a while back, lovely Internet right now sadly so can't listen to more
It was just a test recording, but even still I thought it was pretty decent, considering I did all of it myself.

You wound me.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

you know what, to show faustus im not such a bad guy heres an acoustic piece i recorded years ago on a terrible jasmine guitar with dead strings and a cheap desktop mic
http://tindeck.com/listen/kvfm

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

It was just a test recording, but even still I thought it was pretty decent, considering I did all of it myself.

You wound me.

it wasn't terrible i'm just sayin' you ain't as big of a king poo poo as you think you are, king of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

it wasn't terrible
I guess I'll take that and be happy.

Have a fun weekend, folks.

City of Tampa posted:

Aww, you guys should be nicer to Faustus. His guitars are OK and he says some interesting poo poo sometimes.

I think that this guitar is kind of ugly in an awesome way, and I'd really like to own one.
Thanks,, CoT. That's a nice bass-boat guitar and I'd love to hear it. It's not ugly, just gaudy. Gaudy can be good.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread