Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Renegret posted:

"Hey Renegret, can you help us test the new ticketing system?"

Ticket couldn't be closed because three of us managed to crush the entire ticketing system designed to be used by thousands of people. And this doesn't change the planned rollout date sometime next week. :shepicide:

It'll never cease to amaze me how such a huge project with so much time and money invested into it, not to mention the numerous highly paid contractors and experts, can be taken down by three people running stupid queries.

Yeah, web Remedy is unmitigated poo poo and we're moving away from it.

Fun fact, even though you're happy about being able to use Chrome, Remedy uses shortcuts from IE6, like shift-click to open something in a new tab, ctrl-click won't. Also we complained about the UI getting messed up when viewed on a low-res laptop compared to a desktop screen. We were asked to agree on what the fixed resolution would be that we would all view Remedy on.

On a web interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

MJP posted:

The only thing worse than managers who insist on you calling someone rather than emailing, despite the email conveying the exact same info, is when the recipients treat such calls at higher priority than the emails.

I realize that emailing someone instead of calling and the preference thereof is the height of goony goon behavior, but it sucks nonetheless.

There's a reason why on every ticket this is a question asked here. And as expected, 90% of the time people prefer email.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I prefer email for anything that isn't a Dire Emergency.

If it needs fixed now, this very second, no, seriously, This Is Truly Affecting Production, then call me up. I'll drop everything and do it.

Everything else, email or a ticket is king because it creates a paper trail I can use to cover my rear end and yours.

Hell, even the ones where I drop everything to put out a fire? I log it in email and/or a ticket when I get the chance to do so. Because that paper trail is a life saver.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I agree with the e-mail preference. For the aforementioned paper trail reason and also because a phone call to support always rubs me the wrong way unless it's an emergency. It always makes me think the caller wants you to drop everything because they are way more important than whatever else you could possibly be doing. Even when all they need is a reboot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I like phone calls because my users are mostly unable to formulate a coherent description of anything and the format allows me to quickly ask follow up questions instead of trading 50 emails to learn that a printer won't print.

Of course, it's not infallible. Right now a user is mad at me because I told her "it says 'can't open'" wasn't a good enough description of her problem.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This isn't even with users... in this case I'm the user.

Boss says we need a list of phone queues and people in them from our outsourced VoIP provider.

I email their support with a request.

I tell boss I'll have it as soon as they provide it.

He says "call them, they'll give it to you."

I call them, they say to email them - it's an infodump and it has to have a paper trail.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Crossquotin'

nthalp posted:

Agreed.. I've seen things man.
I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe…
Switches hanging from power cables off a jury rigged outlet wired into an emergency exit sign.
I watched power lights glittering like a tiny star on and off on an inaccessible router someone cemented into a floor drain.
All those… moments… will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears… in… rain. Time… to die…
:smith:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

Also we complained about the UI getting messed up when viewed on a low-res laptop compared to a desktop screen. We were asked to agree on what the fixed resolution would be that we would all view Remedy on.

On a web interface.
Yep, our Remedy web interface runs in what is probabaly an 800x500 (to leave room for the menu bars) upper-left corner of an otherwise-blank webpage.

When we were upgrading to our current version our Remedy reps told us it would be the last version with a client, so to transition over to the web interface wherever possible now so we could work out any kinks before our next upgrade when we wouldn't have a client to fall back on. I've since learned that's total crap and there's still a client in the latest version, but now we're stuck. I mean, I guess we could get the client for our current version, but Remedy sucks regardless so why bother?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

I don't really see many posts in here about using RT (Request Tracker), is that because it's obscure or bad for reasons I'm not aware of yet? I implemented it at my current place of employment on a barebones linux VM without too much hassle or really foreknowledge of how to manage linux at all. Bonus points for the software being free (though, support isn't, unless you DIY).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Reacean posted:

I don't really see many posts in here about using RT (Request Tracker), is that because it's obscure or bad for reasons I'm not aware of yet? I implemented it at my current place of employment on a barebones linux VM without too much hassle or really foreknowledge of how to manage linux at all. Bonus points for the software being free (though, support isn't, unless you DIY).

It's probably because there's a poo poo ton of ticket programs out there, maybe? My job uses Autotask, and it hasn't popped up in this thread yet. It's my first IT job though, so I've never seen another ticketing system in use.

Saw my first computer hit with cryptolocker today. What a nasty thing :smith:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Knormal posted:

Yep, our Remedy web interface runs in what is probabaly an 800x500 (to leave room for the menu bars) upper-left corner of an otherwise-blank webpage.

When we were upgrading to our current version our Remedy reps told us it would be the last version with a client, so to transition over to the web interface wherever possible now so we could work out any kinks before our next upgrade when we wouldn't have a client to fall back on. I've since learned that's total crap and there's still a client in the latest version, but now we're stuck. I mean, I guess we could get the client for our current version, but Remedy sucks regardless so why bother?

Um.

Maybe you should get better Remedy support.

Wow.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Re: Crypto____ chat.

This email JUST came in:

quote:

A user had a virus on their laptop and connected to the network – the virus is called crypto wall – this virus encrypts data and data is basically held for ransom – We are taking precautionary measures and have disabled a couple shares on the [office] network and are running a full scan on all network drives in all locations.

This is the third email we've had with this thing in the last couple months. I don't think IT had even heard of it before the first case hit (which is hilarious in and of itself).

Email is followed by a copy/pasted description cribbed from somewhere about how it operates, as if most people in the office have a clue what any of this poo poo means:

quote:

CryptoWall is distributed via emails with ZIP attachments that contain executables that are disguised as PDF files. These PDF files pretend to be invoices, purchase orders, bills, complaints, or other business communications. When you double-click on the fake PDF, it will instead infect your computer with the CryptoWall infection and install malware files either in the %AppData% or %Temp% folders. Once infected the installer will start to scan your computer's drives for data files that it will encrypt. When the infection is scanning your computer it will scan all drive letters on your computer including removable drives, network shares, or even DropBox mappings. In summary, if there is a drive letter on your computer it will be scanned for data files by CryptoWall.
When CryptoWall detects a supported data file it will encrypt it and then add the full path to the file as a value under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\<random>\CRYPTLIST Registry key. It will also create the DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT, DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.URL or INSTALL_TOR.URL if infected with CryptoWall 2.0, and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.HTML files in each folder that files were encrypted and in the Windows desktop. The DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.HTML file contain information about what happened to your data and the DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.URL is a browser shortcut to your assigned decryption page on the infection's decryption service, which is discussed later in this guide.
When the infection has finished scanning your computer it will also delete all of the Shadow Volume Copies that are on the affected computer. It does this because you can potentially use shadow volume copies to restore your encrypted files. The command that is run to clear the Shadow Volumes is:
"C:\Windows\SYsWOW64\cmd.exe" /C "C:\Windows\Sysnative\vssadmin.exe" Delete Shadows /All /Quiet
Now that your computer's data has been fully encrypted, it will display the DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.HTML files that was created on your Desktop. These files contain information about what has happened to your data and instructions on how to pay the ransom. In most cases, once CryptoWall launches this document it will remove the infection files from your computer as they are no longer necessary.

Obviously pretty standard/basic stuff, but why bother including that in an email to the entire office?

I wonder if I should bother sending IT the few links from the last page? Our IT department makes me laugh. At least the couple times I've requested backup copies of files, they haven't come back with "Uhhhhh..."

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Reacean posted:

I actually like RT quite a bit, and a few years back completely re-designed our internal and external communications through it so I got elbow deep in how it works.

Set up and configuration can be a bit of a pain, but it really is customizable and I liked the simple feature set, particularly now that they've added plugin support. I honestly think the hardest part of setting it up, as with most systems, is creating the default topography and organization of the queues, and user permissions within those queues.

If my current place didn't use a ticketing system that they were totally entrenched with, I'd be suggesting RT.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

FreshFeesh posted:

If my current place didn't use a ticketing system that they were totally entrenched with, I'd be suggesting RT.

Same here. A little perl knowledge and you go from a Simple Ticketing system to an automated, audited, end-user method to create users, give share access, schedule reboots, etc.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We just launched a new ticketing system called MSM from a British Company called Marval. I have never heard of them until now.

It's not bad. Also it's in ~the cloud~ so it's not our problem to maintain (until our Internet goes out at least.)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Does anyone use Zendesk?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Does anyone use Zendesk?

Yes it sucks but it sucked less when we only had a single desk setup

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I quite like Zendesk :shrug:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yeah, we use Zendesk. Its not perfect, but it works fairly well.
Have the odd issue from time to time, and their support can be...special, but overall it works for us.
For reference, we're a small SaaS company with 5 support staff using it, processing about 500-1000 tickets a week.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Weatherman posted:

Does anyone use Zendesk?

Yup. Have 11 agents on it and don't really have any issues with it.

Granted we don't get a huge volume of tickets.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So far, the best alert we've had for a computer error:

code:
cat: can't open 'var/run/pcsid.pid' : no such file or directory
sh: you need to specify whom to kill
:stare:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Migishu posted:

So far, the best alert we've had for a computer error:

code:
cat: can't open 'var/run/pcsid.pid' : no such file or directory
sh: you need to specify whom to kill

I always thought computers would become self-aware. How fitting it would be on Halloween.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

fluppet posted:

I don't get the love of slack, isn't it just irc with in line images?

Whatever it is, it's worth 1.2 billion dollars now. And, honestly, it's pretty awesome.

http://fortune.com/2014/10/31/stewart-butterfield-slack-billion/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A gem of a ticket my co-worker just opened up for Salesforce support (we open tix under our IT distro):

quote:

It is possible to have a user access Salesforce with out a license. The user is only performing two tasks and does not need to use much ?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

A gem of a ticket my co-worker just opened up for Salesforce support (we open tix under our IT distro):

Send them this:
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_understanding_license_types.htm&language=en_US
"If you can find the allowance for a user without a license in this, let me know, I couldn't"

Have to teach users that Licensing isn't a joke, and showing them bajillions of pages on a single products licensing is a good way to do it :)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The main issue I have with SFDC is explaining to people that no we cannot pay Salesforce to up the govenor limits for our processes you need to run then in a future call or if that is not enough in as either batchable or schedulable classes.

I don't care that your poorly designed and optimised 3rd party tool takes more than 10 seconds to run in synchronous mode, I really don't.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Um.

Maybe you should get better Remedy support.

Wow.
Yeah, our Remedy setup's pretty hosed on both sides. They've been telling us they're about to start using the asset tracking module pretty soon now for literally eight years. They say they've got the software management part working, but it always returns wildly different numbers from what SCCM shows we have installed. Fortunately I'm very far removed from the unit in charge of all that, so I just have to put up with the bad-but-usable ticket interface.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Goddamn I love figuring out weird issues. So happy today hahah.
I work for a lead-management company, entirely web based.
One client has been complaining about leads not coming up properly. Not many, just a few a week, but, something weird, and it must be us.
Lo-and-behold we finally catch one "in the wild" - users are logging on, grabbing the leads, and then just sitting idly clicking on things in the system without properly closing them out/logging out to release them.
Hah.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer
I browse this thread a lot and I thought it would be best to share this. After a week of hell, this is the best request I have seen to date:

:ghost: :"Play scary movie in lunch room for halloween event"

Walked down to the theater in the building, signed onto the corporate Netflix account, and played "The Evil Dead".

Never have I seen a room full of people happier than when I did that.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Should have played the actual Scary Movie. Uncensored, of course.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

BlazingSun posted:

I browse this thread a lot and I thought it would be best to share this. After a week of hell, this is the best request I have seen to date:

Walked down to the theater in the building, signed onto the corporate Netflix account, and played "The Evil Dead".

That's a ticket I wouldn't mind to get. Good movie choice as well.

For me, it wasn't a ticket, but rather an email (which CC'd the IT director as well as the CNO)

quote:

Subject: Need help now please
Body:
We borrowed a laptop from <ER Director> so our DOU patient can watch the Giants game.
It has run out of power.
Does IT have a cord we could use?

It is the 10th inning and score is tied.
Uh, why didn't you get the cord from the person you borrowed the laptop from? Also, each of the patient rooms have a T.V., why not just use that? And, being that this isn't work related, why did you feel the need to CC my boss and a C level exec?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Gerdalti posted:

Have to teach users that Licensing isn't a joke, and showing them bajillions of pages on a single products licensing is a good way to do it :)

"Can't we just set up person X with an account for a little while? They only need it to do this one thing"
Licences cost a bomb, and this guy is only here for the week; so... no

Also management want their licences axed because they don't use them, and won't pay out for the $30/month app to post out reports to them; some poor sap has do reporting for them manually (Not me).

MJP posted:

This isn't even with users... in this case I'm the user.

Boss says we need a list of phone queues and people in them from our outsourced VoIP provider.

I email their support with a request.

I tell boss I'll have it as soon as they provide it.

He says "call them, they'll give it to you."

I call them, they say to email them - it's an infodump and it has to have a paper trail.

This is like an aggravation merry-go-round. I already called the support line dammit, hassling them further isn't going to accomplish poo poo, enjoy the power of the butt.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BlazingSun posted:

That's awesome.

I probably would have gone with Alien (the first one) myself. I remember watching that *alone* the first time long ago in the days if CRT TVs and RCA jacks. I was scared spitless. When I got to college, there was a guy who had never seen it so we rented it. I swear if the couch hadn't been in the way, he would have vibrated through the floor he was so tense and anxious. To me that movie will forever be the pinnacle of horror.

Your choice was probably better over all, but I think the fallout that might have been generated from Alien would have been more entertaining in the long run :cheeky:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have like 5 or 6 websites, along with an estore hosted internally at our midsize manufacturing company. I sent the web dude a link where SSL is being turned off in IE come December. Now he is freaking out because he had absolutely zero plans to implement TLS anytime soon, even though I've warned him, his boss, my boss and execs about the security risks. But if customers can't buy product? Now they're freaking out.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

BlazingSun posted:

You're a good dude. That's cool.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got a call from another tech Thursday afternoon.
"Just a heads up, but some systems have spontaneously begun to reimage."

It hit about 30 computers at the high school, a vice principal at the middle school, two district admins (including the superintendent), and annoyingly, my own VM (set up so I can do AD stuff). Our remaining admin found a suspicious Task Sequence in SCCM set to trigger on Thursday, so he disabled it, and then decided discretion was a better plan and powered off SCCM entirely. The only two people who had any real knowledge of SCCM left this summer. The remaining admin had been reluctantly poking at it, saying he didn't know enough and wanted a knowledgeable consultant to come in and figure it out. The admin thinks he may have triggered whatever happened, but has no idea how.
Whatever did this somehow worked through methods that wouldn't work before: it imaged on the fly, without booting through PXE, bypassed the WDS password, and completed the imaging faster than we've ever seen, in a building where we have had little success in imaging over the WAN. One laptop failed because it was on wireless, but the task sequence still wiped out the existing partition and created a new one.

In the meantime, we learned that the superintendent has "2 years" worth of files on the laptop that weren't saved to her network drive. Because she's often "away from the network" and needed to access those files. There were no known backups until I stumbled upon a folder in our utilities share (I was looking for our inventory program to reinstall on my VM) that our former bench tech had made and copied all of the superintendent's files to when he replaced her laptop in March. That folder really should've been deleted when the move was finished (I've unknowingly had access to many of the superintendent's files for 7 months!), but it may really help her out since she's only out 7 months, not 2 years, of files now.

And then a tree fell last night and took out a telephone pole and the only fiber to one of our elementary schools, completely cutting off network and phones. If we're lucky, Comcast will have it fixed this weekend.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If you let a Task Sequence start from Windows (i.e. by deploying it to a collection and making it required, or by making it assigned and the user then clicks on it in the Software Center) you don't need to press F12 or enter the boot password, it'll go through automatically. And time isn't really much of a factor, within a couple minutes the partition and image application steps are done and then you're hosed anyway, might as well let it finish from there.

Ataraxia
Jun 15, 2001

Champion of nothing.
"The air conditioning loving exploded and there is water on loving everything"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

One of our cooling units fried a relay and the compressor got stuck on. By the time we noticed the entire unit (7ft tall floor unit) was a solid block of ice. That was "fun" to clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is everyone having cooling system problems?

We just replaced the controllers on all our coolers, and now they are all kicking on and off instead of cycling through them, so our temps are going up and down.

• Locked thread