Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm honestly amazed that nobody has tried the "most chocolate is harvested in West Africa => Halloween Candy Could Give You Ebola" angle yet. I really would have thought Fox would've gone there by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
Edit: Holy poo poo I hosed up in posting this. I thought this was a controversial opinion thread for a second.

SparkPeople fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 31, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i had to go to the rich people shopping center today to get my phone fixed and: rich people are so weird

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Liberals are Marxists bro.

i will destroy you

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

rscott posted:

not a good day for private space flight companies

meanwhile NASA just finished building its Mars spacecraft :hellyeah:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

i had to go to the rich people shopping center today to get my phone fixed and: rich people are so weird

Arboretum?

Sorry but the government is incapable of doing anything better than the private sector.

I like it when the private sector proves to be just as lovely as conservatives think the gov't is but I wish it wasn't loving space flight!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aboratorium.

This thread was hawt when we were all doing architecture chat. I think I am going t o start a thread posting my pictures of interesting places and how they make me feel.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Yo R. Mute did you ever see that HBO movie about Clay v. United States with Frank Langella and Christopher Plummer? It's just okay but if you're watching old Ali fights you might as well watch the one where he never throws a punch.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Arboretum?

Sorry but the government is incapable of doing anything better than the private sector.

I like it when the private sector proves to be just as lovely as conservatives think the gov't is but I wish it wasn't loving space flight!

the domain

what forum is n4i usually mod of?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Aboratorium.

This thread was hawt when we were all doing architecture chat. I think I am going t o start a thread posting my pictures of interesting places and how they make me feel.

Badger of Basra posted:

the domain

what forum is n4i usually mod of?

drat son that's half way to Waco. I haven't been north of Burnet in years.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Aboratorium.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

drat son that's half way to Waco. I haven't been north of Burnet in years.

i live on 45th so it doesn't take me too long to get over there. bought some stuff at h&m :10bux:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
i just want to say that left-wing opinions are correct and right wing ones are not. thank you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Farecoal posted:

i just want to say that left-wing opinions are correct and right wing ones are not. thank you

This, but ironically unironically.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Farecoal posted:

ban this sick filth

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Who What Now posted:

This, but ironically unironically.

i am actually being very non-unironic*

*nah just kidding, im totally being un-non-ironic**

**this is sarcasm

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

guy who voted for dan patrick in the uspol thread says he's pro-abortion, but isn't worried about them being banned. ok.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 31, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I'm not either.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

guy who voter for dan patrick in the uspol thread says he's pro-abortion, but isn't worried about them being banned. ok.

How about "restricted into nigh inaccessibility"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This whole ALEC strategy of massive restrictions based on woman's health concern trolling has been, iirc, 100% struck down in every court ruling it's faced. SCOTUS isn't going to touch RvW so I'm not terribly concerned. Liberals can be just as hysterical over perceived outcomes as the pearl clutchingest church lady. Relax yall.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

This whole ALEC strategy of massive restrictions based on woman's health concern trolling has been, iirc, 100% struck down in every court ruling it's faced. SCOTUS isn't going to touch RvW so I'm not terribly concerned. Liberals can be just as hysterical over perceived outcomes as the pearl clutchingest church lady. Relax yall.

Actually we're about due for our once-a-decade loving on abortion rights from the Supreme Court.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

No, that strategy has actually been wildly effective in states like Texas, Mississippi, the Dakotas, and Arkansas.

EDIT: Last I heard Mississippi, North and South Dakota, and Arkansas all had only a single abortion clinic for each state because of multiple restrictions placed on them all culminating in a blanket ban in all but name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

No, that strategy has actually been wildly effective in states like Texas, Mississippi, the Dakotas, and Arkansas.

Temporarily. The Mississippi statute has been struck down I know for sure and a lower court already overturned the Texas law.

I mean it's not great that there is this temporary interruption of services but it's not going to lead to half a century of back alley abortions.

The Warszawa posted:

Actually we're about due for our once-a-decade loving on abortion rights from the Supreme Court.

What case?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Temporarily. The Mississippi statute has been struck down I know for sure and a lower court already overturned the Texas law.

I mean it's not great that there is this temporary interruption of services but it's not going to lead to half a century of back alley abortions.

What case?

None yet (though don't be surprised if the location restrictions end up being what happens), but it seems like once every ten years or so SCOTUS whittles down abortion rights a little further.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

None yet (though don't be surprised if the location restrictions end up being what happens), but it seems like once every ten years or so SCOTUS whittles down abortion rights a little further.

tbf to the current SCOTUS, the original Roe v. Wade was a bit of an overreach for its time that has resulted in an end to moderation on the issue.

I'd have preferred SCOTUS to have handled abortion like they have gay marriage.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i too as a straight white male prefer the almost imperceptible rate of progress on gay marriage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rscott posted:

i too as a straight white male prefer the almost imperceptible rate of progress on gay marriage

Lol are you kidding me?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

In one year, Texas has gone from having 41 providers to having 8. They provisions overturned allows 13 clinics that have already closed to reopen, but it remains to be seen if they will. http://fundtexaswomen.org/resources/texas-abortion-clinic-map/

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

tbf to the current SCOTUS, the original Roe v. Wade was a bit of an overreach for its time that has resulted in an end to moderation on the issue.

The original Roe v. Wade is a canard, though, Casey is the analytical standard-bearer.

Justice Ginsburg has a similar point of view about immediate action causing backlash versus entrenching consensus over time, but I've always been more of the school of "if it's a right, it's a right and delaying access is unconscionable for those who need it now," which I think is particularly pertinent in abortion since it's about the right to defuse a ticking womb-bomb. Reasonable people may disagree, like on every issue but that loving casserole abomination that Chicago tries to pass off as pizza.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Imaginary GF posted:

Huh. I'd rather the SCOTUS have handled gay marriage the way they handled abortion. Rights shouldn't get to be put up to votes.

Also, I've never understood when people say "Oh, the SCOTUS would never take a case on abortion/gay marriage/[insert hot button issue here]". Their whole drat job is to take cases like those, and it's not like previous rulings have never been overturned either in part or in whole. There's nothing magical about Roe v Wade that protects it from further cases.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Everyone who is against abortion is an idiot, imo. If I were in charge none of them could speak publicly without wearing a dunce cap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sharkie posted:

In one year, Texas has gone from having 41 providers to having 8. They provisions overturned allows 13 clinics that have already closed to reopen, but it remains to be seen if they will. http://fundtexaswomen.org/resources/texas-abortion-clinic-map/

If there is demand for them they will reopen. If there is not demand for them they will reopen because national choice organizations will reopen them as a statement.

Who What Now posted:

Huh. I'd rather the SCOTUS have handled gay marriage the way they handled abortion. Rights shouldn't get to be put up to votes.

Also, I've never understood when people say "Oh, the SCOTUS would never take a case on abortion/gay marriage/[insert hot button issue here]". Their whole drat job is to take cases like those, and it's not like previous rulings have never been overturned either in part or in whole. There's nothing magical about Roe v Wade that protects it from further cases.

It's just that they haven't in like 40 years.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What's going on with all the random probations?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Halloween rules bro. Look at PYF.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Solkanar512 posted:

What's going on with all the random probations?

They're not random.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
They haven't done what in 40 years?

Also there's a PYF dark enlightenment thinker thread in PYF yesssss

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Struck down RvW.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

If there is demand for them they will reopen. If there is not demand for them they will reopen because national choice organizations will reopen them as a statement.

"If" there is a demand for them, lol. Do you think the 41 clinics that were open just a year ago were hanging around to prove a point?

The Warszawa posted:

... I've always been more of the school of "if it's a right, it's a right and delaying access is unconscionable for those who need it now," which I think is particularly pertinent in abortion since it's about the right to defuse a ticking womb-bomb

Agreed. "Well you can have an abortion now" is cold comfort to the countless women who were saddled with unwanted children in the meanwhile.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

VanSandman posted:

Everyone who is against abortion is an idiot, imo. If I were in charge none of them could speak publicly without wearing a dunce cap.

Abortion is bad and something that should not happen. :colbert:

History shows, however, that abortions are something that happens even with the strictest of prohibitions. Therefore the state should pragmatically allow regulated (as in according to medicine's lege artis) abortions while at the same time utilize social policy to minimize the root causes for abortions, maximize the available alternatives and incentizie the rearing of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sharkie posted:

"If" there is a demand for them, lol. Do you think the 41 clinics that were open just a year ago were hanging around to prove a point?

So do you think they won't reopen when the Texas laws are ultimately over turned?

• Locked thread