Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Do you guys have a preference for glass vs. plastic screen protectors? Any particular screen protector you recommend? (regular sized 6)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

That's super dumb.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bummey posted:

That's super dumb.

It really, truly isn't.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Stand corrected. drat...

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pron on VHS posted:

Do you guys have a preference for glass vs. plastic screen protectors? Any particular screen protector you recommend? (regular sized 6)

None.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The phone comes with a glass screen protector.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

It also comes with a plastic one!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

withak posted:

I am running sans screen protector (so far) (for the first time ever) and being very careful. My wife has a 6 with no screen protector and now already has an inch+ long scratch on it already. And she's being careful, too. (or trying.)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

I am running sans screen protector (so far) (for the first time ever) and being very careful. My wife has a 6 with no screen protector and now already has an inch+ long scratch on it already. And she's being careful, too. (or trying.)
Post a picture of the scratch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Post a picture of the scratch.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
So a screen protector is unnecessary? Like, it doesn't add any extra protection from scratches and shattering?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pron on VHS posted:

So a screen protector is unnecessary? Like, it doesn't add any extra protection from scratches and shattering?

I've been saying "of course" for the past x many years since I've literally never had a scratch on my phone, but somehow life finds a way for some people.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

I've been saying "of course" for the past x many years since I've literally never had a scratch on my phone, but somehow life finds a way for some people.

Yep. Life is truly the ultimately RNG.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Is that the screen protector itself scratched? That's a weird scuff if it's on the glass…

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ddogflex posted:

Is that the screen protector itself scratched? That's a weird scuff if it's on the glass…

No, sorry, I thought it was clear when I mentioned before... my wife has a scratch on her non-protected screen.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Luckily most scratches are basically imperceptible while you're actually using the device, meanwhile a screen protector will make your screen look ever so slightly worse for every second that you're using it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Luckily most scratches are basically imperceptible while you're actually using the device, meanwhile a screen protector will make your screen look ever so slightly worse for every second that you're using it.

Oh, yes, it's not actually so bad in use. (imperceptible, even.) I'm just providing an account of the fact that you don't have to try very hard (or be very careless) to get a scratch.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
After four years of using the iphone 4 I only have one teeny scratch in the upper right near the rim. I couldn't get over the urge to brush it off like a spec of dust. I'm going to be slightly more paranoid about keeping the 6+ safe but I don't see a need for a screen protector.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is that a glass or oleophobic scratch?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't know. Does it matter? (earnest question.)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

I don't know. Does it matter? (earnest question.)
Technically speaking the oleophobic coating will eventually wear away. If it's a scratch in the coating then it'll eventually disappear as the coating around it is worn, if it's a scratch in the actual glass it will remain.

The way to test would be to close your eyes and run your fingernail across the screen and see if you can perceive the scratch without actually looking at it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Feenix posted:

No, sorry, I thought it was clear when I mentioned before... my wife has a scratch on her non-protected screen.

It was quite unequivocally clear. Reading comprehension is low here sometimes.

Pron on VHS posted:

A friend of mine just bought a Zagg glass protector this morning. He's thrilled with it so far. Lifetime warranty, like all Zagg screen protectors, so should you ever scratch or crack it a new one is free. He used their HDX protectors on previous phones and those seem to be great too.

He's actually stopping by in a few to drop something off; I'll update this post when I get a look at it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Choadmaster posted:

He's actually stopping by in a few to drop something off; I'll update this post when I get a look at it.

I wanna know if that one goes to the edge. (or really close.)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Feenix posted:

Yeah I completely misread your original post somehow. :v:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

It was quite unequivocally clear. Reading comprehension is low here sometimes.

A friend of mine just bought a Zagg glass protector this morning. He's thrilled with it so far. Lifetime warranty, like all Zagg screen protectors, so should you ever scratch or crack it a new one is free. He used their HDX protectors on previous phones and those seem to be great too.

Bought a Zagg glass protector for the iPhone 6. I don't normally go with a protector, but I figured I'd give it a shot since it was glass. I think it's pretty awful. They very clearly made it based on the screen size before the dimensions of the phone were actually released, because it's literally just wide enough to cover the screen, does not touch the side bezels at all, and is short on the top/bottom bezel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was there some way to get Siri to stop being cutesy? My latest one was after sending a text, it said "And off to the cloud it goes..."

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

I wanna know if that one goes to the edge. (or really close.)

As sleepwalkers said, it doesn't (though I think it's more because the edges of the screen curve rather than Zagg not knowing the right dimensions). If that bothers you it's obviously a no-go, but other than that it looks totally flawless to me. Feels perfect too. I am told you do have to be very careful putting it on.

Edit: That phone was at 100% this morning and it's barely been used... top usage listed in settings were "Lock Screen" (18%) and "App Store" (16%) and everything else < 5%. Yay iOS 8 bugs!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
God I am as big a proponent of screen protectors as one could imagine but the added "lines" that that glass Zagg adds are just a dealbreaker. Looks like a reject from Tron. (the old movie.)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

smackfu posted:

Was there some way to get Siri to stop being cutesy? My latest one was after sending a text, it said "And off to the cloud it goes..."

Calm down autist.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

smackfu posted:

Someone said if you say "that's not funny" after an answer like that it goes back to being normal. To be honest though I have no idea what causes it to flip over, it's always been very straightforward to me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If you're in the market for a screen protector, it should be noted that all glass ones are literally the exact same.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

What the gently caress Apple?!?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Okay, not going to go with a screen protector. Just a case, I heard the Incipio NGP is a nice case.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Calm down autist.

Someone pointed out a dumb thing apple did. Must be an autist.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

If you're in the market for a screen protector, it should be noted that all glass ones are literally the exact same.

Three seconds of googling and clicking on the top 5 links seems to come up with no less than 3 different shapes and a lifetime warranty only on the Zagg one (which doesn't seem to be any more expensive than the others). Whether the material is the same or not I can't tell, but your blanket statement is clearly off the mark.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

God I am as big a proponent of screen protectors as one could imagine but the added "lines" that that glass Zagg adds are just a dealbreaker. Looks like a reject from Tron. (the old movie.)

I wonder if there are any that go all the way to the edges on the new models. As soon as I saw the rounded glass on the new design I figured it would be trouble for screen protectors (well, that was thought #2 after that poo poo is going to crack so much more easily). Does anyone have one that does? I'm not going to use one anyway but now I'm curious.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

smackfu posted:

Supposedly telling her/him, "That's not funny," after a comment like that will fix the behavior, but I don't remember where I heard it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Choadmaster posted:

I wonder if there are any that go all the way to the edges on the new models. As soon as I saw the rounded glass on the new design I figured it would be trouble for screen protectors (well, that was thought #2 after that poo poo is going to crack so much more easily). Does anyone have one that does? I'm not going to use one anyway but now I'm curious.

The word on the street was the SPigen Glass one was gonna be "more to the edge" but we'll see. Supposedly comes out / ships 11/5.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Choadmaster posted:

Three seconds of googling and clicking on the top 5 links seems to come up with no less than 3 different shapes and a lifetime warranty only on the Zagg one (which doesn't seem to be any more expensive than the others). Whether the material is the same or not I can't tell, but your blanket statement is clearly off the mark.

That's what I meant. Shape shouldn't matter, really. If you look at it and it's a different shape, well, there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Can't remember if I asked this before, but is there a way to change/mute the whooshing sounds in iMessage?