Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sadly as a man who can only speak gaijin languages like english and french and not glorious nihongo and mandarin that's of very little use to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

sadly as a man who can only speak gaijin languages like english and french and not glorious nihongo and mandarin that's of very little use to me

Falcom is going to Falcom and Sega is going to Sega :(. I still can't for the love of god fathom how they can't turn a profit with either series by going and hiring a few translators in Malaysia/Singapore. Both have dubious marketing and terrible aversion to filthy gaijin money.

Although I am a lot more bitter toward Sega then Falcom. Yes, I realize all about opportunity cost, dev cost and other components of localizing a game. However, if Atlus, Xseed, NISA can pull off localizing niche titles and making a profit so can Falcom/etc... I'd even take Bamco SAO style translation with capability to turn on Japanese subtitles but that won't happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

However, if Atlus, Xseed, NISA can pull off localizing niche titles and making a profit so can Falcom/etc... I'd even take Bamco SAO style translation with capability to turn on Japanese subtitles but that won't happen.

Sure they can. They just have to put a lot more underage girls in skimpy clothing with tons of sexual innuendo in their games, because that is how those companies make most of their money these days aside from one or two big franchises.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oblomov posted:

I'd even take Bamco SAO style translation with capability to turn on Japanese subtitles but that won't happen.

yes, i feel a sao machine translation would work excellently with the legend of heroes series, and would not be completely terrible

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Sure they can. They just have to put a lot more underage girls in skimpy clothing with tons of sexual innuendo in their games, because that is how those companies make most of their money these days aside from one or two big franchises.

Meh, not worth arguing, I'll just agree to disagree here.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ugh I want to be excited for Valkyria Chronicles but the game is so fundamentally broken once you realize how to break it, and there's no going back.

Levantine posted:

My current party is Gazer/Paladin/Assasin/Healer/Hunter. My Gazer is dual wielding the strongest stuff he can find, my Paladin mostly Defends or Devotions, my Assassin Sneak Attacks or Mirages if the battle is tough. My Healer is pretty much on perma-Holy Shield duty and my Hunter has a really powerful longbow (like +9 or something) that has carried him since I got him. I thought about a Wizard but I like the Holy Weapon/Shield of the Healer.
Wizards are actually very lovely for a very long time. They're a late game class but once you get one there, they're REALLY good.

Assassin is actually the same thing though and is pretty much a toss-up with wizards. Assassins get better sooner but require a bit more finesse to use.

You're at one of the hardest parts of the game, once you clear mimic and stuff and get a couple more demons, the game collapses in difficulty. Although you do have one boss IIRC that can be very hard.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rascyc posted:

Ugh I want to be excited for Valkyria Chronicles but the game is so fundamentally broken once you realize how to break it, and there's no going back.

It doesn't matter. Buy it and we'll get Yakuza, Shenmue and Nocturne! Plus, the game, the story and characters are actually pretty great. It's one of my favorite games on a PS3. Yes, there are issues and the whole rating is annoying, but it's ok, the game is still great. You can break most RPGs out there and that's fine, there are a lot of redeeming factors to VC.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Unfortunately, the story of Valkyria Chronicles wasn't good, what with the dumb mini-arc halfway through that's heavy-handed and clumsily executed, the existence of Selvaria and the dumb poo poo she ends up pulling, and pretty much the last third of the story as a whole.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't mind VK being broken because it was still fun as poo poo to play. It's one of the only JRPGs I have actually enjoyed all the way through in the last decade.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

oblomov posted:

Support Sega PC, who knows what we get next! Yakuza 1 - 4 on PC would be amazing, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia...

Don't do this to yourself.

Don't do this to me.

That being said I will gladly sacrifice some dollars in the vain hope that some of these series will get more western support. Maybe one day we'll get another Yakuza localization! Ha, ha haaaa :smithicide:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I would kill a man for a Skies of Arcadia hd re release on PC or 3DS or a console or anything really, can't find my gamecube and couldn't get GC emulation to work when I tried it. Shenmue 1 and 2 would be pretty great to go through again too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

Just out of curiosity are you talking about Slapping the two-star tank order on a Scout, then running right up a tank's backside to shoot the radiator to death in a single turn?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity are you talking about Slapping the two-star tank order on a Scout, then running right up a tank's backside to shoot the radiator to death in a single turn?

Nah, if it's the one I'm thinking of, he's talking about throwing the Potential order onto Alicia, and using her ability to double move to clear a map in one turn.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Brasseye posted:

I would kill a man for a Skies of Arcadia hd re release on PC or 3DS or a console or anything really, can't find my gamecube and couldn't get GC emulation to work when I tried it. Shenmue 1 and 2 would be pretty great to go through again too.

In another universe Skies of Arcadia became a massive franchise and gets new versions of sky-ships and magical swashbuckling every few years, and we are all poorer for not living there.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Wizards are actually very lovely for a very long time. They're a late game class but once you get one there, they're REALLY good.

Assassin is actually the same thing though and is pretty much a toss-up with wizards. Assassins get better sooner but require a bit more finesse to use.

You're at one of the hardest parts of the game, once you clear mimic and stuff and get a couple more demons, the game collapses in difficulty. Although you do have one boss IIRC that can be very hard.

Hermes was tough but went down alright. I have found my Assassin, if she can hide, is one of my best party members. Sneak Attacks seem to have a much higher hit-rate than normal attacks. I have her on the front line, dual wielding ailment type weapons. I've pumped her Luck and Agility and she wrecks face, if she's hidden. If not, then she's absolutely useless to me, though Mirage can be nice when I'm trying to set up buffs.

I've gotten past Neptune and I'm backtracking to do the Black Cave or whatever and get the wall items I can get now. Game definitely has some weird difficulty curve issues but overall I'm having a lot of fun with it, super-pervy stuff aside.

Vitamin P posted:

In another universe Skies of Arcadia became a massive franchise and gets new versions of sky-ships and magical swashbuckling every few years, and we are all poorer for not living there.

SoA was such a good game and it never gets enough love. Easily one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Being given an airship from square one, upgrading it and flying it around the entire world was just amazing at the time. And now, really, since no game has replicated that. Airship battles were great too. C'mon, SEGA, give us Skies of Arcadia! I'll forgive you for abandoning PSO in the west!

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 28, 2014

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
gently caress Skies of Arcadia. Give me another Panzer Dragoon Saga. gently caress, give me another Dragon Force style game. Or release an HD collection of all three Shining Force 3 games. Do it you fuckers.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 28, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

:negative:

Levantine posted:

SoA was such a good game and it never gets enough love. Easily one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Being given an airship from square one, upgrading it and flying it around the entire world was just amazing at the time. And now, really, since no game has replicated that. Airship battles were great too. C'mon, SEGA, give us Skies of Arcadia! I'll forgive you for abandoning PSO in the west!

Yeah. RPGs always give your party some sort of airship towards the end but having that much freedom of movement from the start was great. About halfway in at the stage of the game where most RPGs might give the party some kind airship, SoA replaced your old ship with the super weapon. So cool. and the airship battles themselves were a great change of pace.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Kokoro Wish posted:

Give me another Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Why does the universe hate this game so much? The world could have literally been changed for the better if the circumstances surrounding Saga weren't so hosed.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Bussamove posted:

Don't do this to yourself.

Don't do this to me.

That being said I will gladly sacrifice some dollars in the vain hope that some of these series will get more western support. Maybe one day we'll get another Yakuza localization! Ha, ha haaaa :smithicide:

Ahahahaha... a man can only hope :(. Still I figure if we throw some support Sega ways who knows what happens. Plus VC is a great game so in this case I don't mind double dipping.

Sega has so many great series locked away so who knows.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

oblomov posted:

Sega has so many great series locked away so who knows.

There's like one good series that Sega is actively working on that's being kept in Japan, and it's the one that didn't sell well enough to warrant the effort that it takes to localize it.

Valkyria Chronicles has been dead since 3 (which was probably skipped for US release because the PSP was on its last legs when it came out) and the producer behind the original has been working on something new. Shining games have more or less lost all relevance since the PS2 era games, and I imagine they didn't sell well enough to risk bringing over the ones that came after. They've only touched Skies of Arcadia for like 2 or 3 cameos since like it's 2003 enhanced port, and it was still a pretty niche game that probably doesn't demand a sequel in Sega's eyes.

The only other thing I can think of that Sega is keeping in Japan that is actively being worked on that people actually want is Phantasy Star, which I can't say much of one way or the other.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Did someone say Yakuza 5?

Huh?

No?

No...that's...that's alright, didn't want that dumb game here anyway...:smithicide:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Did someone say Yakuza 5?

Huh?

No?

No...that's...that's alright, didn't want that dumb game here anyway...:smithicide:

They had a Yakuza game ready for the PS4 that was pretty much standalone and released at a time when there were very few games out, so would have picked up more than the few curiosity sales and they decided not to bother localising it because Sega are terrible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

They had a Yakuza game ready for the PS4 that was pretty much standalone and released at a time when there were very few games out, so would have picked up more than the few curiosity sales and they decided not to bother localising it because Sega are terrible.

Crazy thing is that if it came out on the PC I bet there would be more than a couple enterprising groups that would try to create a translation patch for it. But nooo time to be SEGA and be bad at things.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
No, the crazy thing is that Sega chose to leave money off the table by not launching in the West during the dry spell on PS4 as well as missed the chance to relaunch the franchise.

They are doing it again with Zero.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
It might be because, again, not enough people bought the previous games to make it worth the work it would have taken.

If you think it would magically sell better because "it's a weird pseudo-reboot/it's a prequel game", you're lying to yourself because now they're on systems that the general US population will completely ignore(Vita) or don't own yet because there's not enough incentive to jump to the next-gen(PS4).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Valkyria Chronicles PC now pre-orderable: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Get it at greenmangaming since it's 10% off and there is another 20% on top of that. It's a great price for an awesome game. Plus Sega confirmed it's going to have high end resolution support alongside 60fps. Oh and it is dual audio.

This basically kills my November he gaming now. So so much stuff coming including Tales of Hearts R, Persona Q, DAI, and more. That's just for RPGs not counting backlogs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it also includes all DLC, which is both cool and good

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Nice! Not sure I'll be playing VC again anytime soon but I'll buy this anyway to show my support. Truth be told I'd kill for a proper sequel.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Doflamingo posted:

Nice! Not sure I'll be playing VC again anytime soon but I'll buy this anyway to show my support. Truth be told I'd kill for a proper sequel.

Well, maybe Sega will go HD route for 2 & 3 (and translate 3) and bring them to the PC if VC1 sells well. Note that the port is looking really good as well with high resolution support, 60fps, customizable controls, etc...

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

oblomov posted:

Well, maybe Sega will go HD route for 2 & 3 (and translate 3) and bring them to the PC if VC1 sells well. Note that the port is looking really good as well with high resolution support, 60fps, customizable controls, etc...
I feel like it would have to sell really well for any of that to be considered.
But then apparently Falcom has been reporting great numbers from their PC re-releases, so anything's possible.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

But then apparently Falcom has been reporting great numbers from their PC re-releases, so anything's possible.

Speaking of, has there been any news on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

When it's done?

AFAIK, they're still shooting for Q1 2015.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

This is the news I'm waiting for too. My body is ready!

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Levantine posted:

This is the news I'm waiting for too. My body is ready!

While waiting, why not shoot some not-Nazis in Valkyria Chronicles?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

While waiting, why not shoot some not-Nazis in Valkyria Chronicles?

I can get behind that. I hope the port is decent at least. That's the only thing stopping me from pre-ordering it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Levantine posted:

I can get behind that. I hope the port is decent at least. That's the only thing stopping me from pre-ordering it.

Did you see the news about the requirements and 60 FPS?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Did you see the news about the requirements and 60 FPS?

I didn't, but I haven't paid much attention to it other than I knew it was a thing, tbh. Looking at the store now, it doesn't look like the reqs are that bad and it includes all the DLC which is cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Edit: Wait I'm dumb. I keep forgetting Trails in the Sky is actually out. Hopefully it gets a little cheaper in the Christmas sale.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Levantine posted:

I didn't, but I haven't paid much attention to it other than I knew it was a thing, tbh. Looking at the store now, it doesn't look like the reqs are that bad and it includes all the DLC which is cool.

1 - Requirements are low
2 - 1080P and HIGHER
3 - 60FPS
4 - Customizable controls

Anime not-nazi shooting in a strategy game has never been that good.