Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
All omnibeams are [acc] [dmg] [arc] as a base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FrostyJones posted:

All omnibeams are [acc] [dmg] [arc] as a base.

Oh, okay.

To the exchange.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that threw me off too until I realized it. Grab an UR with the mod you want if you want to minmax, otherwise grab the cheapest and don't give a gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Better. Can someone show me what the Dyson Fed or Rom native hull+windows looks like?

I'd imagine the Romulan one is gonna look amazing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 31, 2014

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Are you only able to get one multidimensional transporter device per day?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That's how these events work. Additional runs are just XP and marks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note it's per-character though (although the items are character-bound) and each character can turn in the event mission, at least if you're insane enough to run it multiple times a day for two weeks.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I miss the old mirror event. Just four blobs of ships and a boss fight and no waiting for stupid timers or clicking on stuff.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i just tried upgrading a fleet shield and i finally know why some of you are so mad. that was really stupid. it cost 11-13m just to get it to mk 13 + dil. i also have to wait 2.5 hours if i don't want to pay 1.7k dil.

it's also hilarious at how the pissbeams no longer scale with your level.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

I miss the old mirror event. Just four blobs of ships and a boss fight and no waiting for stupid timers or clicking on stuff.
Kinda. It's nice to have something a little more complex, but there's no reason you shouldn't just be able to cut to the boss fight if you actually close all the rifts early rather than sitting on your thumbs for five minutes.

Well, no reason beyond Cryptic's desire to make sure every goddamn queue takes at least twenty minutes out of the absolute terror of players getting marks or dilithium ever so slightly faster than their planned glacial pace.

Acer Pilot posted:

i just tried upgrading a fleet shield and i finally know why some of you are so mad. that was really stupid. it cost 11-13m just to get it to mk 13. i also have to wait 2.5 hours if i don't want to pay 1.7k dil.

it's also hilarious at how the pissbeams no longer scale with your level.
Yeah it's pretty much 100% cash grab. As long as you use superior kits and only go for mark upgrades rather than trying to absurd rank up lottery it's not that bad, but it still basically comes down to paying the dilithium cost again and wasting credits/crafting mats for the privilege.

And if it helps, going from mark infinity to MkXII (which you can do for free by tossing them into the upgrade UI) is a minor damage increase? :suicide:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MikeJF posted:

Literally every single omni-directional beam array on the exchange has a [dmg] tag, in every beam type. :( Guess I gotta make my own if I want otherwise?

I think all crafted omni beams are forced to have a dmg mod.

I did torp crafting up to lv 20 so I'm not 100% sure for beams, but all special crafted torps had a set of fixed mods, with a variable on the UR ones.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

MikeJF posted:

Better. Can someone show me what the Dyson Fed or Rom native hull+windows looks like?

I'd imagine the Romulan one is gonna look amazing.

That does look a lot better. I've normally not had any interest in them because they looked so hideous. Are the dyson ships lockbox ships?

On upgrading, I've been using the middle tech upgrade (not the superior) that I've been crafting on my own. Bad idea?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the "special" crafting gear has fixed mods/effects and you only see randomization on a quality upgrade. All TR-116b's have DMGx4, the omni beams are already noted, etc.

edit: the dyson ships are c-store for fleet level ones. The normal variant was from an event, but it's lobi now (don't buy this)

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Don't you need the event/lobi one for the secondary deflector still?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aleth posted:

Don't you need the event/lobi one for the secondary deflector still?
That's where you get it yes, but I'd be hard pressed to say "need". The white one is passable enough until cryptic gets off their rear end and adds them to sciboats in general anyway. :effort:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just got to fly a 'vadwaur' ship. Man that is a sweet engine trail effect.

Speaking of sweet, looks like they added the new hulls to the z-store thumbnails. (Although not the new window options)

The Feddie ones are more ehhh, in my opinion, but still an improvement. Plus they'll probably look better transformed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 31, 2014

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MoraleHazard posted:

On upgrading, I've been using the middle tech upgrade (not the superior) that I've been crafting on my own. Bad idea?
It's a trade-off. Last time I checked* using the improved upgrades will cost you a little over twice as much dil, but about 1/10th the EC. You'll have to decide which is easier for you to get back, the dil or the EC.

*Which was right after DR dropped, so the market prices may have changed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Just got to fly a 'vadwaur' ship. Man that is a sweet engine trail effect.

Speaking of sweet, looks like they added the new hulls to the z-store thumbnails. (Although not the new window options)

The Feddie ones are more ehhh, in my opinion, but still an improvement. Plus they'll probably look better transformed.

my god those look so much better than the default skins.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the "special" crafting gear has fixed mods/effects and you only see randomization on a quality upgrade. All TR-116b's have DMGx4, the omni beams are already noted, etc.

IIRC, all set items have fixed mods as well.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

IIRC, all set items have fixed mods as well.
The galor's pissbeams get fixed upgrade mods as well if you upgrade rarity. [CrtX] and then that stupid [Ac/Dmg] one, if I remember right.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

g0del posted:

The galor's pissbeams get fixed upgrade mods as well if you upgrade rarity. [CrtX] and then that stupid [Ac/Dmg] one, if I remember right.

I'd prefer another [CrtX] mod myself, but how can you complain about extra [Acc]?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

g0del posted:

Another of the things Galor beams have going for them. I've had plenty of heartache on [CrtD]x3 Antiproton beams not going [CrtD]x4.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mondian posted:

I'd prefer another [CrtX] mod myself, but how can you complain about extra [Acc]?
It's the dmg part that I'm not fond of.

Also, LOL

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Oh god oh god please stop quitting in droves."

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

"Apologies to Nbreeki"

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20389001&postcount=1

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20389571&postcount=7

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

"Oh god oh god please stop quitting in droves."

Things are going about as swimmingly as the launch of STO.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anyone else getting the bug that unequips doffs? I keep having to make sure they're slotted every time I do a mission.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, they've somehow refucked loadouts again. Happens on my klankrom, while my fed constantly has issues with losing tray loadouts. :cryptic:

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Unguided posted:

Anyone else getting the bug that unequips doffs? I keep having to make sure they're slotted every time I do a mission.

Yup. Noticed it earlier when I accidentally sent out my entire a2b roster out on a couple of doff assignments.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Unguided posted:

It doesn't happen on my scihole but happens constantly on my engineer's a2b D'Kora.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

I still have no idea what the hell is going on in the OP, or who that person is in-game, but apology accepted!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I know it's been said before but wow is it hilarious that the update focusing on voyager is killing sto.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
You know, even if I had forgotten them from Voyager the intro mission with Talaxians would have reminded me of how annoying they are.

Seriously. Why did they give people Talaxians as a race? For gently caress sakes, i'd even choose that race Kes was from over a race of bumbling idiot cooks that exist solely to annoy people.

Edit: Jesus gently caress how long does this fetch quest with the Talaxian work shifts go on for? The klingon version of this had better involve you torching the place in frustration and spiking Neelix's head on your bat'leth for daring to send you off on this bullshit quest. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 1, 2014

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

randombattle posted:

I know it's been said before but wow is it hilarious that the update focusing on voyager is killing sto.

This whole update was mismanaged from the beginning, PWE was pushing it out the door quick, but cryptic still had a few gently caress ups of their own, the biggest of which was closing the test server off to anyone who didn't have a lifetime sub. It's pretty hard to get any proper bug testing metrics out of such a small fraction of your population.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I'm genuinely curious as to what Cryptic could do at this point to make STO worthwhile again.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
All they really need to do is unfuck the space content. They need to drop enemy HP by about half and then bump up their damage to get things to the difficulty they want. Right now nothing on elite is actually hard it's just loving tedious and any objective that involves killing something before the heat death of the universe is straight up impossible.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, pretty much. Remove the hard-fail conditions from advanced queues (elite is fine as is), up the rewards back to old levels, and maybe unfuck XP gain and they're set. Honestly I'm still baffled they made changes like that to begin with, when the new ship tier and item upgrades would have been more than enough to line their pockets.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SKY COQ posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what Cryptic could do at this point to make STO worthwhile again.

Just unfuck queues back to how they were before like, two weeks ago.

Edit: I don't think people would have even cared about the experience if the content took them breezily to 60 then dropped you into a grindfest to earn further spec points. Stalling out at like 53 and then having to grind between each mission and the for hours after finishing the storyline just to hit 60 to not be able to do the new shorty queues just gives the whole ruse up.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 1, 2014

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Technical Analysis posted:

This whole update was mismanaged from the beginning, PWE was pushing it out the door quick, but cryptic still had a few gently caress ups of their own, the biggest of which was closing the test server off to anyone who didn't have a lifetime sub. It's pretty hard to get any proper bug testing metrics out of such a small fraction of your population.
Opening tribble wouldn't have helped. Most of the biggest bugs when DR hit were well reported on the tribble bug-report forums. More people telling them about bugs which they weren't able to fix wouldn't have changed anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. Tribble is basically there to test whether the server can actually run the patch without imploding. Everything else is generally ignored, and doubly so when the patch in question is being heavily rushed.

Also I think it was limited to subscribers, not lifetimers, like with LoR; still not the widest pool but a larger set.

• Locked thread