Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Faustus.

Quit posting like this is a GBS 1.0 thread. It's not.

Troll. Say stupid stuff. Have arbitrary and unreasonable opinions. You're in nuGBS. This thread was started in the early days of nuGBS, and it is a shining example of what this forum should be. It's funny and stupid, while still having some smart posts from cool people. We've even managed to design a hideous guitar together.

ML is an awesome forum. I and everyone else here have learned a lot from it. It's a good place for seriousposting, and discussing things. You should check it out.

In the meantime, just quit responding to being trolled in this thread. It was entertaining at first, but now it's sad. You giggle when the kid in the helmet keeps running into the cartoon hole painted on the wall. Why wouldn't you? It's funny, but now you're that kid after entry attempt #57. You've lost a lot of blood, and at least two teeth. Some people are crying with laughter, but most of us are looking on in horror, saying "Why won't someone stop that poor, disabled child?". Only, you're not a child. You're a grown man on the internet. That just makes it funnier and sadder at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hey! WDE's antics in the thread have gotten me the idea of building my own instrument this winter, and he's already been very helpful, but given that y'all've linked to the guitarfetish sale already, do any of you have a bead on what how the quality of the necks they sell would compare to a shop like warmoth or carvin? My instinct is that the neck is probably worth shelling out on, but on the other hand, you can put a c&c rig anywhere :)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Schpyder posted:

Skill is in no way a prerequisite for criticism. Particularly aesthetic criticism. Film critics are usually not accomplished filmmakers. Music critics are not usually accomplished musicians. Art critics are usually not accomplished artists.

and to that end stanley crouch is an okay drummer, but a lovely jazz critic

Octatonic posted:

Hey! WDE's antics in the thread have gotten me the idea of building my own instrument this winter, and he's already been very helpful, but given that y'all've linked to the guitarfetish sale already, do any of you have a bead on what how the quality of the necks they sell would compare to a shop like warmoth or carvin? My instinct is that the neck is probably worth shelling out on, but on the other hand, you can put a c&c rig anywhere :)

same as any other made in china part. probably passable but warmoth/carvin/etc are way nicer, in that you won't have to do any extra work to them unless you order one unfinished

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 31, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Clitch posted:

We've even managed to design a hideous guitar together.
Don't you dare talk about Vera that way!!! :colbert:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

iostream.h posted:

Don't you dare talk about Vera that way!!! :colbert:

Sorry dude. She's ugly, but she's our ugly. She's like a homely hooker a group of buddies pool their money together for, so they can gangbang her all night. Those are fond memories. Through the years, that hooker's edges soften in their minds. By they time they've reached their twilight years, she was a generous nymph of infinite beauty who ushered five naive young men into maturity.

The fact remains that was one ugly whore.

Cheers.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Can we go back to posting ugly poo poo now without fear of angering His Most Autismal Vizier?

"Innovative" extended-range customs are the poo poo because they tend to look like poorly-designed fantasy melee weapons. 70% certain these are in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Would still totally play the second one but a looker it ain't.

Also some regular-type ugly with this rotten apple on a stick and futuristic wrench.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xenocidebot posted:

Also some regular-type ugly with this rotten apple on a stick and futuristic wrench.

i feel this should be nws tagged or at least tastefully mosaic'd

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i love the cross between a rick toone design and a chapman stick up there because it's really just absolutely the worst. these look like alembic meth binges

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

tbh the first four of those look like guitars for bassists

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it absolutely looks like a bass maker's guitars

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

im pretty sure theres a direct correlation between the number of strings on an instrument and over-stylized retarded aesthetics

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

Skill is in no way a prerequisite for criticism. Particularly aesthetic criticism. Film critics are usually not accomplished filmmakers. Music critics are not usually accomplished musicians. Art critics are usually not accomplished artists.
That's why they're critics. I thought everyone knew that.
Who was Rex Reed but a failed film-maker who talked poo poo about films? Name your critic, and I guarantee you they're failed artists at their core, but they get people to listen to them about the hard work they judge but can't do.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Who was Rex Reed but a failed film-maker who talked poo poo about films? Name your critic, and I guarantee you they're failed artists at their core,

bresson, rohmer, cocteau, godard, and truffaut all wrote for cahiers du cinema

eisenstein essentially created critical film theory

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Snowy posted:

I wasn't even drunk but still ordered this green sparkle Chickenbacker. I hope they didn't use that toilet brush on it.

Now I just need to find someone who can make a Chickenbacker truss rod cover.

Where'd you get this from? Also please tell us how the quality is out of the box, I'm really curious.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's why they're critics. I thought everyone knew that.
Who was Rex Reed but a failed film-maker who talked poo poo about films? Name your critic, and I guarantee you they're failed artists at their core, but they get people to listen to them about the hard work they judge but can't do.

lmao this really makes a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

bresson, rohmer, cocteau, godard, and truffaut all wrote for cahiers du cinema

eisenstein essentially created critical film theory

This Russian and this group of old "French New Wave" film-makers/critics are impressive people, granted.
Today, I think my point still stands on its own merits. Thanks for giving me all those interesting people to read about, though. I'm not being sarcastic about that, they were obviously inspirational thinkers who broke new ground in cinema and discussion about it. I think they were film-makers first, and critics second.

I can't quite make the leap to guitars, though. Who do you think is the best guitar critic? The best [music genre] critic?

You've made a good point, but I am trying to figure out how it's relevant to the idea that modern guitar or music critics are somehow experts who broke new ground and deserve that kind of respect.

If you asked me, I'd suggest SA Forums poster Agreed.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dr. Faustus posted:

This Russian and this group of old "French New Wave" film-makers/critics are impressive people, granted.
Today, I think my point still stands on its own merits. Thanks for giving me all those interesting people to read about, though. I'm not being sarcastic about that, they were obviously inspirational thinkers who broke new ground in cinema and discussion about it. I think they were film-makers first, and critics second.

I can't quite make the leap to guitars, though. Who do you think is the best guitar critic? The best [music genre] critic?

You've made a good point, but I am trying to figure out how it's relevant to the idea that modern guitar or music critics are somehow experts who broke new ground and deserve that kind of respect.

If you asked me, I'd suggest SA Forums poster Agreed.

I'ma get fru dat wall dis dime! *splat*

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh cool Dr. F has now made this thread about the merits of criticism! Awesome!

NOOOOOOOOT*

*please read in Borat voice

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

From this moment on if anyone talks poo poo about SG guitars I'll poo poo post for 5 pages.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Actuary X posted:

Please let us know how it turns out. That is really tempting.

Heath posted:

Where'd you get this from? Also please tell us how the quality is out of the box, I'm really curious.

I'll absolutely update with details though it will be a while. My new main man Cao says he's starting on it and it's going out in two weeks so maybe it'll be a month?

Basically I searched aliexpress for a green one but I don't want to link it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i won't talk poo poo about sgs because they made some great hosed up ones in the 70s and i want a 70s sg really bad. or one of the ibanez copies with the les paul style pickguard and les paul recording style top rout cavity cover

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AchtungBaby posted:

From this moment on if anyone talks poo poo about SG guitars I'll poo poo post for 5 pages.

honestly considering rhythm games were a huge gateway for me and guitar hero came with a plastic SG, this to me insanely tempting

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
split diamond inlays rule and i want a silverburst V with them, or a V like hendrix played

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

AchtungBaby posted:

Somewhere in the recesses of the ML Guitar Megathread someone posted a story about a guy who saved up and spent north of $2K on some holy grail SG he'd obsessed over. Guy get it, goes to a gig, and one or two songs into the set, his strap comes off the pin, and the headstock smacks the stage and breaks off. Dude just walks off the stage, and is later found out back, crying.

I love SGs, but I laughed at that story.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

Oh cool Dr. F has now made this thread about the merits of criticism! Awesome!

NOOOOOOOOT*

*please read in Borat voice

Read in Borat voice. Was sufficiently ashamed. Apologizing sincerely, now. Sorry about that. It seemed interesting at the time but I admit it was a stupid derail.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dewgy posted:

honestly considering rhythm games were a huge gateway for me and guitar hero came with a plastic SG, this to me insanely tempting

gently caress, i kind of want that

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's bad because no good SG should be thick enough for a floyd rose to fit.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dewgy posted:

Does it come in hardtail?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Clitch posted:

Does it come in hardtail?

if it does i am 100% no poo poo buying one

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Dewgy posted:

How much does that sexy thing cost?

Also I wish more acrylic instruments were made with etched patterns and stuff in the body, e.g.:

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
show me some really thin guitars

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://blackmachine.net/gallery.htm

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I have an SG shaped Melody Maker which is my favorite to play because I have girl hands and an SGX which is the bane of my artistic existence. I rescued the SGX from an underground smoke/coffee shop for $200 as my first refinishing project. It was all scraped to hell. Practically green finish from massive yellowing (Caribbean Blue original color), a missing guard, and broken electronics. I hate it because it is hanging in my basement completely naked and I can't think of a drat thing to refinish it with to make it interesting.

This probably has been posted but food + guitar is always an ugly combination.

e: VVV I'm getting to that point. Thought maybe making it satin black body with the angled parts a steel finish like sharpened blades and leave the neck natural mahogany but then I shave my neck beard and the thought goes away.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 1, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just paint it black mate

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xenocidebot posted:

How much does that sexy thing cost?

somewhere between 2-300, really not bad at all

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

crashdome posted:

I have an SG shaped Melody Maker which is my favorite to play because I have girl hands and an SGX which is the bane of my artistic existence. I rescued the SGX from an underground smoke/coffee shop for $200 as my first refinishing project. It was all scraped to hell. Practically green finish from massive yellowing (Caribbean Blue original color), a missing guard, and broken electronics. I hate it because it is hanging in my basement completely naked and I can't think of a drat thing to refinish it with to make it interesting.

e: VVV I'm getting to that point. Thought maybe making it satin black body with the angled parts a steel finish like sharpened blades and leave the neck natural mahogany but then I shave my neck beard and the thought goes away.

i'm glad of it.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

crashdome posted:

can you take a pic of the sgx

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

e: A friend of mine is bringing over a SD PRails pickup as a donation for it.

e2: completely stripped except the cavities. 3pc body, solid 1pc neck, headstock veneer which I assume is black walnut

crashdome fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 1, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

with the exception of bresson, all the cahiers dudes started out as critics first before getting into making films

my point was that essentialist statements like that every critic is a failed artist or that someone who can't perform at x technical level is therefore barred from offering a critical voice are invalid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

yo..... finish that in natural, put a warpig or nailbomb in it and play the poo poo out of it

• Locked thread