Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

They were asking her to stop massive riots in the biggest city on Earth and maybe put out a few fires, not establish a new dynasty.

Except they made Kuvira provisional ruler of the Earth Kingdom during the last three years, a position they were obviously willing to bestow upon Su had she accepted it. It's not "putting down riots and a few fires," it's literally putting an entire nation under her authority and subjugation in preparation for the return of another form of rule that Su wants no part of. It is not hard at all to see why Su went "nope" at that. She has no desire for that power, nor did she want to deliver it to anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Zhu Li was totally pulling a fake defection there. Varrick named a unit of measurement after her. You don't turn your back on someone who does that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, Zhu Li was totally pulling a fake defection there. Varrick named a unit of measurement after her. You don't turn your back on someone who does that.

And a battleship too!

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
What was up with the terrible framerate of that episode. The animations just looked outright bad.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Deakul posted:

Korra, you dumb as poo poo yo.
New thread title please.

I really did not like this episode; more Bolin being an idiot and more Korra being...an idiot.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I can buy Zhu Li doing some rescuing of Varrick later, but I'd expect some more lesson-learning and conscience-building first. This episode really did have a new peak for Varrick's ego, shabby treatment of Zhu Li, and her being impatient about it. But I might be wrong, it's hard to go broke betting on Varrick getting away with poo poo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Stumpus posted:

Why does the avatar even care about the conquests of man?if anything doesn't her meddling unbalance the world? This is a criticism of all the avatars.

An avatars job is to bring balance between man and spirit. That's what they're qualified to do.

The avatar imposing her strength to see her ideology is carried out is an abuse. The avatars are clearly flawed individuals with their own opinions. They happen to have significant power which allows them to determine what is or is not right.

I guess what I'm saying is why is this current plot something the avatar should involve herself in. The four nations are human constructs unlike the spirit / man divide. Why can't the human world change and deal with it themselves.

I hope this show ends with the foreshadowing that Toph made that the world actually doesn't need an avatar.

I think it's OK for the avatar to fight against Literally Hitler.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mymla posted:

Also from what we've seen of the previous avatars, every single one of them was more interested in doing personal poo poo than "keeping balance": Kiyoshi killed a power-hungry despot who was menacing her (earth-kingdom) people, Rokku was hesitant to put a stop to Ozzai's dad because of their personal relationship and the water avatar just wanted to chill and surf until Noh took his bride. Aang was scared and he ran away, and it wasn't until the last part of the series that he became more decisive in his quest to end the reign of the firelord.

On paper the Avatar is the one who protects the balance, but in practice it's just a person who can seek counsel with his/her past lives and can do crazy poo poo, but it still has their own interests.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Stumpus posted:

Why does the avatar even care about the conquests of man?if anything doesn't her meddling unbalance the world? This is a criticism of all the avatars.

An avatars job is to bring balance between man and spirit. That's what they're qualified to do.

The avatar imposing her strength to see her ideology is carried out is an abuse. The avatars are clearly flawed individuals with their own opinions. They happen to have significant power which allows them to determine what is or is not right.

I guess what I'm saying is why is this current plot something the avatar should involve herself in. The four nations are human constructs unlike the spirit / man divide. Why can't the human world change and deal with it themselves.

I hope this show ends with the foreshadowing that Toph made that the world actually doesn't need an avatar.

I suggest thinking about what Aang's main mission back in ATLA was for like two seconds and then rethinking this post.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darth Walrus posted:

This. And if you're not convinced, go listen to Zhu Li's little speech to Kuvira again: it hits every single point Kuvira likes to hit and had just the right mix of ego stroking & deference. Zhu Li is one of the smarter characters in the show and she just played Kuvira like a fiddle.

This was a good episode. Glad to see Bolin's been training during these 3 years: once he got out of the mech he was a machine. I wish Korra had done a bit more than talk to Su & Kuvira for five seconds apiece, but oh well, I'm sure she'll play a big part in bailing Su out of walking to her doom.

One thing I really liked was the parallels between Sozin & Kuvira with the whole "We should spread our tech & prosperity with the rest of the world" speech and that Su Yin completely called her on the fact that it's a weak excuse for conquest.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Stumpus posted:

Why does the avatar even care about the conquests of man?if anything doesn't her meddling unbalance the world?

Uncle Ben's fortune cookie say: "With great power comes great responsibility"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Stumpus posted:

Humans warring against other humans also feeds into Vaatu's power. The Avatar is literally the vessel of peace and order in the world, their concern is not just for spiritual crap.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I have to admit, when they seemed to be telegraphing a budding romance after Varrick pulled her back into the train I started groaning, but thankfully they pulled back. I hope they stop with that nod to the shippers as I love the platonic relationship they have now.

Stumpus posted:

The Avatar is no longer the bridge between the two worlds since Harmonic Convergence. We've seen that humans and spirits pretty much live in peace now that they've had a chance to understand each other. Wan explicitly set up the job to be peacemaker among humans once the spirits left. The Avatar has multiple roles and that's part of what makes the role so difficult.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think my favorite subplot of the episode was Asami reuniting with Hiroshi. Asami finally got a little bit of spotlight, and that did wonders for her character. The scene of her in the park kind of ate at me, such a good moment. She's found her balance alright :3:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If they don't tone back the whole huggy-feely-lets-ignore-dramatic-tension gimmick of Bolin like NOW they're going to wreck a potentially great arc for a character who's always been this close to awesome but has been ruined by over the top gags time and time again.

Otherwise this episode was great, and Zhu-Li remains one of the greatest characters in Korra. I mean she's just drop kicking mechs and being generally awesome all episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stumpus posted:

Why does the avatar even care about the conquests of man?
Because the Avatar is still a human being?

Mymla posted:

I just know there is going to be one person mad that Korra decides to fight against the facist because that means the writers are saying "Don't try diplomacy and talking to solve problems, PUNCH IT!!"

My favorite thing about the mechs is that they have piston arms. :swoon:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

And flamethrowers apparently.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The mechs need to do the monoeye BWOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV1g1fW1gDw

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

achillesforever6 posted:

Give them some swords and thise fold-out rollerblades and we've got some off-brand Knightmare frames :getin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Give them some swords and thise fold-out rollerblades and we've got some off-brand Knightmare frames :getin:

If you believe the game they have those rollerblades.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ImpAtom posted:

If you believe the game they have those rollerblades.

:aaaaa: are you loving serious?! Don't be messing with me man

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Aces High posted:

The piston fists more reminded me of Cherno Alpha from Pacific Rim. :ussr:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

:aaaaa: are you loving serious?! Don't be messing with me man

There's at least one boss fight where three of them are skating backwards while you ride on Naga.

Edit: Looking it up though, they have treads on their legs instead of rollerskates, but otherwise they VOTOMs it up.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Realizing you're about to build a spirit nuke and going "Holy poo poo, no one should have this power" is a pretty reasonable response from a business minded cut-throat like Varrick.
A part of me hopes that it was actually a spirit telling Varrick not to built the vine nuke, and this comes out when Varrick, Bolin, and Zhu Li run into it while on the run and Varrick's like "You sound like my conscience!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Preview clip of the next episode.

Vimeo link

:suspense:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Ahahaha it really is metal gear solid

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
I'm wondering how much of her own bullshit does Kuvira actually believe? looking at the episodes flashback she seems to have started out with good intentions like Fire lord Sozin. Does she rationalize away the evil as part of the greater good or is it all about her ego? Also how much a poo poo is Baatar Jr-the fucks wrong with that guy?

EDIT-also I'm surprised no-one has commented on the Fire lord comparisons in universe yet.

Zombiejack fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 1, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Kuvira is trying to rationalize anything, she seems pretty adamant about her being crowned queen poo poo of Earth nation and she's just manipulating everyone around her.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I just hope Korra does not just bust down the door, going "YO SUYIN LET ME STOP YOU FROM SUCCEEDING". My - hopeful - guess is that Suyin's assassination attempt goes wrong, chaos breaks out and Korra forces everyone back into a stalemate, perhaps even saving Suyin from total annihilation.

What I'm saying is: I hope we actually see some upsides of Korra's new approach, instead of delaying the inevitable. I don't want the show viewers to walk away with the impression that we could've saved several episodes if Korra would just have demolished everyone right at the start. Basically, Suyin's assassination can only worsen the entire situation, even without interference, so that there is a POINT to Korra's approach. Everything else would feel kinda frustrating.

...of course, I hope for a mixture of that and gratitous magical kungfu.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My theory?

That's not Kuvira in the bed. That's Zhu Li. :v:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My theory?

That's not Kuvira in the bed. That's Zhu Li. :v:

That would be an awesome twist. On another note, good to see the return of earthbender radar.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I just know there is going to be one person mad that Korra decides to fight against the facist because that means the writers are saying "Don't try diplomacy and talking to solve problems, PUNCH IT!!"

Smash the fash, Korra.

The 3D was kinda jarring, but the mech battle was awesome regardless, I hope we see more of it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So that's why Kuvira's soldiers wear those metal shoulderplates, huh? So she can Force-choke them at will?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Mech fight was awesome, Korra' s actions were perfectly reasonable given her lack of knowledge of the situation, thread sucks and is wrong as always. :frog:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I'm kind of hoping for a Varrick-type that Bolin finds and can do earthbending/lavabending through like the Fire Nation tanks from the first series. Not saying the mech fights werent great, but it needed more bending.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Ahahaha it really is metal gear solid
So this is why they are reintroducing Hiroshi, he'll make a high frequency sword that can't be metal bent to give to Korra so she can beat Kuvira's giant spirit nuke shooting metal gear. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

achillesforever6 posted:

So this is why they are reintroducing Hiroshi, he'll make a high frequency sword that can't be metal bent to give to Korra so she can beat Kuvira's giant spirit nuke shooting metal gear. :v:

And let me guess, she'll start going on about realizing Kuvira "is just like me"?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

And let me guess, she'll start going on about realizing Kuvira "is just like me"?
I mean if the final fight for this show is Kuvira hopped up on spirit power and goes on monologuing about nanomachines and football and breaking Raiko in two... with her bare hands; then I can say that it would redeem this show completely for season 2.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Spergatory posted:

Mech fight was awesome, Korra' s actions were perfectly reasonable given her lack of knowledge of the situation, thread sucks and is wrong as always. :frog:

Yeah pretty much.

I thought it was a neat touch that the mechs had flamethrowers and tasers - they're giving normal people the equivalent of Firebending. :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Nah. There'll probably be the spirit nuke set up in Republic City and Varrick and Zhu Li will be out of action (or unwilling to help) leaving Asami and her father to try and disarm the bomb. In a touching scene, they find that the bomb can only be diffused of energy, not disarmed so Hiroshi tells Asami to leave as he ensures that the bomb properly goes off with minimal damage.

• Locked thread