Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Kabanaw posted:

What is this even based on? Maro doesn't give a poo poo about any of that, most of his Magic is played with stickers on cards. He cares about the color pie because it's more interesting when colors have weaknesses they need to solve.

Have you ever listened to his podcasts about the colors? They're almost entirely about what these colors like and dislike and their ideals and hopes and dreams, like they're people, not just game mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ramos posted:

Honestly, considering that white has gotten conditional counter spells before, I'm pretty sure you could have made it white and it wouldn't have the added bonus of being pitchable to Force of Will, thus being playable but not too good.

Granted, predicting how things will go down in Legacy is partly a fool's bet.

Have people asked Maro how he feels about Mana Tithe?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ramos posted:

Honestly, considering that white has gotten conditional counter spells before, I'm pretty sure you could have made it white and it wouldn't have the added bonus of being pitchable to Force of Will, thus being playable but not too good.

Granted, predicting how things will go down in Legacy is partly a fool's bet.
It would still be dominant. During the period it was legal things were so crazy that burn was running 4x copies. You ran mental misstep just so you could counter your opponents mental misstep.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

JerryLee posted:

Bring back avoid fate :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wadjamaloo posted:

It would still be dominant. During the period it was legal things were so crazy that burn was running 4x copies. You ran mental misstep just so you could counter your opponents mental misstep.

7/8 decks of a top eight had four mental missteps.

The eighth played no 1-cmc spells.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

Oh, definitely. Jeskai Ascendancy is a bitch and a half to play online (as bad as eggs, almost) whereas in paper it's super clean, and there are more people invested in other paper decks. Even still, it's hard to argue that Modern is healthy when the online metagame's top cards look like this:

Nothing wrong w/ commons and uncommons getting a bit of the limelight every so often :colbert:

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

rabidsquid posted:

I could be seriously totally wrong about this because I don't think it's going to necessarily play out that way in paper but the cost of decks in MTGO seriously skews what puts up results. The Standard metagame is goofy as hell too.

It's generally not THAT bad in modern. Pulling up an event from before Khans broke everything:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/16138

You can see there's a bunch of different archetypes of various costs, and the most placings put up by any single deck is 3. Burn is a little overrepresented compared to the actual quality but nothing crazy.

Now, looking at a more recent daily

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/16295

It's pretty dumb.

Worst case scenario IMO is they only ban Cruise in January and we get to play three more months of this with Dig Through Time, except worse. Dig Through Time is less splashable but just as busted, so there's a good chance we'd see even less variety in decks then we currently are because only the decks that can support UU are viable.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

There's also Lapse of Certainty in Rebuff the Wicked as far as instants go.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

JerryLee posted:

Or Lapse of Certainty?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Wadjamaloo posted:

IIRC One of the guys at WoTC admitted it was targeted at legacy, but that they really didn't think about the ramifications. Meaning they did it deliberately just to see what would happen.

Before Misstep was printed, I would see players complain all the time that Wizards never printed any new cards that were relevant in Legacy. Misstep was them throwing Legacy a bone, but they don't test for Legacy at all. I think after True-Name Nemesis, they learned their lesson, and they won't do that anymore.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

While everyone else is busy being outraged about the color pie, I'm outraged that in the Teferi deck they made new art for Exclude that doesn't have Teferi on it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I know this is from before all this madness, but there is also Withering Boon.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Alaan posted:

While everyone else is busy being outraged about the color pie, I'm outraged that in the Teferi deck they made new art for Exclude that doesn't have Teferi on it.

What I want to know is why exactly the Blue deck gets Artisan of Kozilek and Zoetic Cavern?

I guess Artisan is there so you can clone him with Infinite Reflections/Rite of Replication but that doesn't explain Zoetic Cavern.

E: Oh wait it can make Ixidron bigger.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Artisan is on cast, not on ETB!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I know but you still end up with an army of 10/9s with Annihilator 2.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I know but you still end up with an army of 10/9s with Annihilator 2.
It's also synergistic with teferi (tons of mana) and Geralf (massive zombie token/self mill). The blue deck has some nice reanimation targets too.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Have you ever listened to his podcasts about the colors? They're almost entirely about what these colors like and dislike and their ideals and hopes and dreams, like they're people, not just game mechanics.

Yeah, that's him talking about color philosophy. There's a flavor color pie and there's a mechanical color pie, the latter of which is much stricter and is used for card design.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

JerryLee posted:

I imagine it falls under his general feelings about Planar Chaos. Which is along the lines of Planar Chaos being a one-time gimmick and color shifts being acceptable in that context, but not emphasizing that the shifts were not setting a precedent for what is acceptable to the color pie in other sets being a mistake. This has probably informed his current color pie orthodoxy.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

OpinionCushion posted:

I imagine it falls under his general feelings about Planar Chaos. Which is along the lines of Planar Chaos being a one-time gimmick and color shifts being acceptable in that context, but not emphasizing that the shifts were not setting a precedent for what is acceptable to the color pie in other sets being a mistake. This has probably informed his current color pie orthodoxy.
I thought Maro was fine with white being tertiary in counterspells and only getting soft counters like Mana Tithe. Though generally white gets proactive tithes like Thalia.

Edit: I was right.

sheth posted:

Does the 'taxing' aspect of cards like mana leak (though not at that startling efficiency) jive with the 'soft' counter / taxing component of white's color pie? (It obviously seems fine in blue/white together.)

Mark Rosewater posted:

White can do taxing and Mana Leak is taxing so white could play in this area (probably not at as high a power level).

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 1, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Since Commander is on everyone's mind right now (regardless of how you feel about it) I feel like I should point out that Conspiracies are, apparently, not banned in Commander. Obviously not all of them would be that great (or even work *cough*Worldknit*cough*) but Backup Plan, Brago's Favor, Double Stroke, and Immediate Action could be alright.

Assuming this is correct the real question is; Do they count towards your 100 or not?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

Since Commander is on everyone's mind right now (regardless of how you feel about it) I feel like I should point out that Conspiracies are, apparently, not banned in Commander. Obviously not all of them would be that great (or even work *cough*Worldknit*cough*) but Backup Plan, Brago's Favor, Double Stroke, and Immediate Action could be alright.

Assuming this is correct the real question is; Do they count towards your 100 or not?
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1501
They are though.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

Zemyla posted:

I thought Maro was fine with white being tertiary in counterspells and only getting soft counters like Mana Tithe. Though generally white gets proactive tithes like Thalia.

Edit: I was right.
Yes, but since Mana Tithe is in Planar Chaos it shouldn't be held up as an example of what is on-color or what was on-color at the time. Relevant blogatog entries:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/88866410433/did-you-approve-of-any-color-pie-violations-from-time

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/66380679791/if-you-dont-want-to-do-another-planar-chaos-dismiss

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

That's just for vintage and legacy, where people were planning T1 consistent kills

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

homerlaw posted:

That's just for vintage and legacy, where people were planning T1 consistent kills

quote:

And, as a result of that, they are also banned in Commander (since all cards banned in Vintage are also banned in Commander).

Come on now people, please read what I link to.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

homerlaw posted:

Everything illegal in Vintage is banned in EDH.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Aww. :(

Whoever does magiccards.info should probably go in and fix that then.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Aww. :(

Whoever does magiccards.info should probably go in and fix that then.

Build a cube!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy christ, those modern decks.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/249729#online

4 gutshots maindeck and 4 Dragon's Claw in the sideboard.

This is giving me flashbacks to when Standard was nothing but Delver decks tuned to beat other Delver decks.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Then you ended up with delver shells with the delvers cut to beat all the delver-hate. There's no way we won't see cruise banned.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know if its even really possible for Dig to be less broken than Cruise.

Would UR Delver be significantly worse with Dig over Cruise? I don't think so.

A lot of the time in delver any 3 cards is better than 2 specific ones. Significantly worse, no, but it would have to account for a double blue spell with the mana base, and it would want more reactive things, ie a more counter and less aggressive version. That version in theory would prefer snapcaster more than monastery swiftspear.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, Cruise is so absurd in U/R delver because it can get down to one mana and the deck is so high-redundancy that the selection from dig isn't as relevant. Dig is really good when you operate at instant speed and have a lot of specific answers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Noah's pretty plastered, but he's managed to draft a pretty sweet Temur deck.
http://www.twitch.tv/modogrinder1

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Holy poo poo people donated enough to make him down 10 shots (200$).

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm amazed Delver of Secrets has made it as long as it has without it at least being in the discussion for banning. Wild Nacatl, though now unbanned, was banned for a while in Modern because a 3/3 for 1 was considered too strong. Well how about a 3/2 flier for 1 in blue, is that not too strong? Let's not pretend that this thing is going to go more than a turn or two without transforming. It is a 3/2 flier for one blue mana. The fact that a blue deck can play a 3/2 flier on turn one and then tempo you out for the rest of the game is kind of bullshit.

What I'm saying is, gently caress Delver of Secrets for being an overpowered card. Just bite the bullet and ban all blue cards, ever.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm amazed Delver of Secrets has made it as long as it has without it at least being in the discussion for banning. Wild Nacatl, though now unbanned, was banned for a while in Modern because a 3/3 for 1 was considered too strong. Well how about a 3/2 flier for 1 in blue, is that not too strong? Let's not pretend that this thing is going to go more than a turn or two without transforming. It is a 3/2 flier for one blue mana. The fact that a blue deck can play a 3/2 flier on turn one and then tempo you out for the rest of the game is kind of bullshit.

What I'm saying is, gently caress Delver of Secrets for being an overpowered card. Just bite the bullet and ban all blue cards, ever.

Yeah a conditional 3/2 that you build around is way better than a 3/3 that requires you to hit 2 fetches.
Cool opinions, keep them coming.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mondrian posted:

Yeah a conditional 3/2 that you build around is way better than a 3/3 that requires you to hit 2 fetches.

Well, one of them's good enough to see regular play in Legacy, and the other one isn't, so....

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mondrian posted:

Well thats the point, your deck is made to ensure that it'll be the 3/2 flier, whereas Nacatl is slightly more draw dependent.

Also, Visions is knly absurd with cascade, didn't stop them banning it.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Without Ponder and Brainstorm, Delver is a lot less good.
Also, Delver decks have never been as good as Zoo. At least not until Zoo dropped off at the start of the year, and now Treasure Cruise.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

sarmhan posted:

Holy poo poo people donated enough to make him down 10 shots (200$).

Could have been worse. When he started the incentive, it was only $5 per shot. Several people in the chat noted that if that held, Noah would probably die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zemyla posted:

I thought Maro was fine with white being tertiary in counterspells

What's secondary in counterspells?

• Locked thread