Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's pretty dumb and poorly paced and has some hilariously dumb plot developments, but I think I'm also in the minority. I also don't really like Snyder's Batman either so

I agree with half of this post. It's weird that I really like Snyder's Batman, but I really dislike Eternal. It just feels like the definition of "trying too hard" on every level. I mean, sure, bring in a bunch of characters from the Bat-mythos if you want, I'm a guy who doesn't mind a little fanservice, but the story seems to really be trying to bring in literally every character from the Bat-mythos, and it is stretching itself in the most ludicrous ways to make that happen. I mean, not only is Gotham apparently going through a gang war (to ensure that all the Batman crime families like the Falcones would be around), but it is also undergoing weird underground sewer happenings like child kidnappings (thus ensuring that Killer Croc is involved) and loving spirit poo poo is happening (bringing in Deacon Blackfire and Gentleman Ghost) that pulls Arkham Asylum underground?

And all this is just (yet) another one of those stories that strains, if not outright breaks, any suspension of disbelief that anybody would live in Gotham because just tons of terrible poo poo is befalling the city, with little to no breaks (I think like only a month of time has passed in the comic) and nothing gets better. Every time someone gets close to a victory, we cut to Hush or yet another villain talking about how this was all part of the plan like I'm reading loving Death Note.

It's frankly astounding, the contrast between the quality on Eternal and Adjectiveless Batman. It's like some Snyder's got some Jekyll and Hyde poo poo goin' on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I agree with half of this post. It's weird that I really like Snyder's Batman, but I really dislike Eternal. It just feels like the definition of "trying too hard" on every level. I mean, sure, bring in a bunch of characters from the Bat-mythos if you want, I'm a guy who doesn't mind a little fanservice, but the story seems to really be trying to bring in literally every character from the Bat-mythos, and it is stretching itself in the most ludicrous ways to make that happen. I mean, not only is Gotham apparently going through a gang war (to ensure that all the Batman crime families like the Falcones would be around), but it is also undergoing weird underground sewer happenings like child kidnappings (thus ensuring that Killer Croc is involved) and loving spirit poo poo is happening (bringing in Deacon Blackfire and Gentleman Ghost) that pulls Arkham Asylum underground?

And all this is just (yet) another one of those stories that strains, if not outright breaks, any suspension of disbelief that anybody would live in Gotham because just tons of terrible poo poo is befalling the city, with little to no breaks (I think like only a month of time has passed in the comic) and nothing gets better. Every time someone gets close to a victory, we cut to Hush or yet another villain talking about how this was all part of the plan like I'm reading loving Death Note.

It's frankly astounding, the contrast between the quality on Eternal and Adjectiveless Batman. It's like some Snyder's got some Jekyll and Hyde poo poo goin' on.

I agree completely but just to be fair to Snyder, Eternal also has too many writers. Give the boot to Tynion and Fawkes and the book would be way better.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Eternal is basically Snyder throwing out some plot points he wants to happen and other writers doing what they want with them as long as it ends up at a certain pre set destination for the characters.

lotus circle posted:

Would he really leave so soon (Doyle that is)? It hasn't even been a year.

That aside, I'd love to see Snyder write Wonder Woman after the inevitable awful Finch run ends.

DC are moving their offices to LA, and the majority of editors are leaving rather than relocate. In the personal side of thing Doyle is married with a kid to Jeanine Schaefer who's a Marvel editor/Marvel's current new talent scout so it wouldn't be too surprising if he ended up with Marvel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

lotus circle posted:

Would he really leave so soon (Doyle that is)? It hasn't even been a year.
As far as I know, it's either leave or move to LA.

e: Oh screw you Waterhaul.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Waterhaul posted:

DC are moving their offices to LA, and the majority of editors are leaving rather than relocate. In the personal side of thing Doyle is married with a kid to Jeanine Schaefer who's a Marvel editor/Marvel's current new talent scout so it wouldn't be too surprising if he ended up with Marvel.
Man that would suck. Especially with how much praise he's been getting, I wonder if DC might entice him to stick around seeing as all their October Batbooks have been reportedly doing very well.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

While I don't like either, I do agree that Snyder's Batman is at least something resembling (an annoying cliche ridden) Good Clean Fun Action Blockbuster in a way that Eternal certainly isn't.

Which is why I am especially curious as to what is going to happen in a Year Two of Eternal. At this point the first year of Eternal is already pretty much Every Character Ever part of an enormous conspiracy that involves the Gotham Police thrown into chaos, Arkham thrown into chaos, the Batfamily thrown into chaos, organized crime thrown into chaos, and wheels within wheels within wheels of a consortium of bad dudes doing bad things to Gotham, which we've established will be plague ridden and on fire by the end of the series.

So what on Earth do you do for "Year Two"? The Gotham Police being SUPERcorrupt? Gang War Two: This Time It's Global? Gotham City is moved to the Phantom Zone and populated solely with OMACs?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edge & Christian posted:

While I don't like either, I do agree that Snyder's Batman is at least something resembling (an annoying cliche ridden) Good Clean Fun Action Blockbuster in a way that Eternal certainly isn't.

Which is why I am especially curious as to what is going to happen in a Year Two of Eternal. At this point the first year of Eternal is already pretty much Every Character Ever part of an enormous conspiracy that involves the Gotham Police thrown into chaos, Arkham thrown into chaos, the Batfamily thrown into chaos, organized crime thrown into chaos, and wheels within wheels within wheels of a consortium of bad dudes doing bad things to Gotham, which we've established will be plague ridden and on fire by the end of the series.

So what on Earth do you do for "Year Two"? The Gotham Police being SUPERcorrupt? Gang War Two: This Time It's Global? Gotham City is moved to the Phantom Zone and populated solely with OMACs?

I assume that Renee will be introduced in this one. Snyder has said that he was thinking of introducing her in this one, but wanted her to be important and not just another person in this storyline. I assume it will involve Gordon completely redoing the Gotham police.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that Renee will be introduced in this one. Snyder has said that he was thinking of introducing her in this one, but wanted her to be important and not just another person in this storyline. I assume it will involve Gordon completely redoing the Gotham police.

And probably introducing another new character to the bat family, Snyder loves to do that (as if the batfamily isn't bloated enough).

The only good thing of this is that put to rest the rumors about DC rebooting again after the Crisis' anniversary event. Or at least I hope so.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 1, 2014

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

So I reckon I'm going to pick up Grant Morrison's entire run on Batman. Aside from the Morrison-written comics, what surrounding Batman material is worth reading, if any? I'd like to get the 'whole saga' so to speak though I guess if I go down that road too far I'll end up buying every Batman comic ever.

So: opinions on Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? Battle for the Cowl? Son of the Demon? Also, I've heard that the Hurt storyline is set up in 52, do I really need to read that though?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sailor Viy posted:

So I reckon I'm going to pick up Grant Morrison's entire run on Batman. Aside from the Morrison-written comics, what surrounding Batman material is worth reading, if any? I'd like to get the 'whole saga' so to speak though I guess if I go down that road too far I'll end up buying every Batman comic ever.

So: opinions on Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? Battle for the Cowl? Son of the Demon? Also, I've heard that the Hurt storyline is set up in 52, do I really need to read that though?

Black Mirror is a great Dick as Batman story. Batman and Robin 52 is really good, and do not real Son of the Demon. Batman is not even in 52 but I could be forgetting something but read it anyways

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Sailor Viy posted:

All of the non-Morrison stuff really just distracts from what Morrison's doing. You honestly get a more complete picture by zoning it out. 52 is excellent just on its own merits, though -- and it *does* have some issues, especially I think #30, that set up a bunch of Morrison's run.

You'll also DEFINITELY need Final Crisis, which will make you want to read a lot more Morrison DC comics.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And probably introducing another new character to the bat family, Snyder loves to do that (as if the batfamily isn't bloated enough).
I'd be okay with this if the "new character" is Cassandra Cain. Hell I'm all for Snyder using his critical acclaim and popularity (considering he almost consistently writes the highest selling book every month) to bring back characters that DC has shelved for no real reason after the New 52 began, no matter how 'meh' Eternal may or may not be. At least it means someone else may be able to use those characters in the future now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader is pretty great. It doesn't tie into anything and is a stand-alone story. It's Gaiman playing around with Batman and the myth and characters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

d00gZ posted:

All of the non-Morrison stuff really just distracts from what Morrison's doing. You honestly get a more complete picture by zoning it out. 52 is excellent just on its own merits, though -- and it *does* have some issues, especially I think #30, that set up a bunch of Morrison's run.

You'll also DEFINITELY need Final Crisis, which will make you want to read a lot more Morrison DC comics.

Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul is a good example of this. Being locked into a crossover feels like a bit of a speed bump.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 2, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I just finished Morrison's Batman and skipped the side stuff (plus Final Crisis, which I'm going to get to next). Battle for the Cowl was the only time when it felt like I had missed a crucial bit of plot (although I've been told that isn't really the case); Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul and Bruce Wayne - The Road Home are completely superfluous.

Batwoman - Elegy isn't directly related but it's great and she turns up in Morrison's run a few times too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Battle for the Cowl isn't by Morrison but is just the bridge between the ending of Final Crisis and the start of the Reborn Era of Batman. It is pretty sloppily written I think, though the tie-ins are excellent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really didn't word that well. I meant that going from the Batman RIP trade to the Batman and Robin trade felt like a bit of a jump, and that I'd missed a bunch of stuff about why Dick Grayson had taken over being Batman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lotus circle posted:

I'd be okay with this if the "new character" is Cassandra Cain. Hell I'm all for Snyder using his critical acclaim and popularity (considering he almost consistently writes the highest selling book every month) to bring back characters that DC has shelved for no real reason after the New 52 began, no matter how 'meh' Eternal may or may not be. At least it means someone else may be able to use those characters in the future now.

Yeah, going by Gates of Gotham at least, Snyder is good at writing Cass well, and he's done pretty well with Steph.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

lotus circle posted:

Why do you hate Cassandra Cain so much that you want her in the Gettingkindaold52?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SirDan3k posted:

Why do you hate Cassandra Cain so much that you want her in the Gettingkindaold52?
I like to believe that DC has learned from their mistakes with her.

That probably makes me the biggest chump of them all.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really didn't word that well. I meant that going from the Batman RIP trade to the Batman and Robin trade felt like a bit of a jump, and that I'd missed a bunch of stuff about why Dick Grayson had taken over being Batman.

That's on purpose. They just step into the roles; the battle for the cowl business gets exactly one mention.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

d00gZ posted:

I'd question whether you need all of Final Crisis to get Morrison's Batman. Sure, that's where he "dies," but if you're reading stuff because you're confused and want to fill in the gaps, FC is basically the biggest gently caress you possible. I love it, but its a book with about as much exposition as Silent Interlude.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, going by Gates of Gotham at least, Snyder is good at writing Cass well, and he's done pretty well with Steph.

You kidding right? Steph went from scary little girl hiding on the library to hyper ultra badass pulling feats that even Nightwing would find ludicrous, with no build up or logic.

lotus circle posted:

I find highly unlikely that Cassandra will show up soon since Snyder has Duke and the guy on Bruce's hallucination already on the waiting list.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hup posted:

That's on purpose. They just step into the roles; the battle for the cowl business gets exactly one mention.

It's about the only time that there was an in-story jump that I thought might have been explained by something I'd missed.

On the other hand I think I didn't know Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul existed until I was mid RIP.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You kidding right? Steph went from scary little girl hiding on the library to hyper ultra badass pulling feats that even Nightwing would find ludicrous, with no build up or logic.

I...may be getting my Batman information second-hand. All I got was she was pretty good. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

lotus circle posted:

I like to believe that DC has learned from their mistakes with her.

That probably makes me the biggest chump of them all.

You and me both. :hfive:

:smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

You and me both. :hfive:

:smith:

Me three.

Oh well, she went out on a high in the old DCU.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ten pages from Gotham By Midnight
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/03/ten-page-preview-of-gotham-by-midnight-1-by-ray-fawkes-and-ben-templesmith/

Looks beautiful.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I've got kind of an obscure Batman question.

Yesterday I got to interview Neal Adams. It was a functional interview, just talking to guests who are going to be at a con for local media outlet. He was accessible, and someone who's work I liked, so I skipped him and called him up.

In doing my job, I told Adams I always liked the Batman stories he did with Denny in the 70's. I asked him if he thought it was okay to describe him as "one of the creators who revitalized Batman from 1960's camp to the modern, darker, more adult Batman we have today." He launched into a rant about how O'Neil had nothing to do with it. Adams really seemed to hold a bitter grudge against Denny O'Neil, for whatever reason.

Anyone know anything about their beef?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Latest issue of Eternal just made me wish for an Alfred: Origins even more.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

He did Batman: Odyssey right?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

Latest issue of Eternal just made me wish for an Alfred: Origins even more.

The most we'll probably ever get though is a Secret Origins story, though Eternal might touch on it a bit more.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I finally found why is that Eternal bothers me so much. Is written like a fanfiction(and a terrible one to boot), things happens just because they're cool often disregarding characterizations and inner logic.

Given how much that kind of writing was present on RHATO and Grayson, I'm inclined to think than that falls on Tynion and Seeley's heads.

Having said that, this issue was acceptable.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The latest 'Tec storyline was kinda lame (and if Dick's new status quo is going all Marathon Man on Russians, yuck), but god bless JPL/Dave Stewart. Man, that was a pretty-looking arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked the first issue, but it all wrapped up terribly. Maybe the story could have worked if it had a bit more room and Bruce had to deal with accelerated aging a bit further than looking at gray hair in a mirror for one panel.

Dick's actual spy book is nothing like he's depicted here. It's super ridiculous and entertaining.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dick's actual spy book is nothing like he's depicted here. It's super ridiculous and entertaining.

I'm becoming increasingly tired of Grayson with each new issue. As I mentioned on my previous post, the whole thing has been less about a spy thriller and more of a shilling of Grayson (this issue didn't add nothing relevant to the larger arc and was filled with "look how badass is Dick" scenes).

I'm giving it until the finish of this arc to make me change my mind, otherwise, is dropped.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Grayson's been a lot of fun and I've been loving all the crazy spiral patterns and poo poo that Janin has been doing. For poser art at least it has a cool aesthetic that JLD didn't really have.

It's definitely a lot more interesting than the utterly dull nightwing series.

And yeah Dick in Grayson is nothing like Dick in 'Tec, Grayson has more in common with the older whackier Bond stuff than Craig era Bond. I wish Jean Paul Leon would work on an actual series though, he'd have been a good replacement for Andrea Sorrentino if Jeff Lemire hadn't left Green Arrow too leaving us with a really poo poo creative team.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm giving it until the finish of this arc to make me change my mind, otherwise, is dropped.
If you're not going to like it now, you should just drop it. The first quote-on-quote arc ends on issue 10 according to interviews, though it's less of an arc and more of a build-up of one and dones on top of each other. Multi-issue stories start after that though.

e: and as for not adding anything onto the larger arc -- the most recent issue heavily implied Helena is working as a double agent with her own ulterior motive. She definitely had to have found out the transmissions were from Batman, but used the girl's spy cameras as a way out of revealing that. It's just in time too, since December's annual is going to be all about her.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 7, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

If you're not going to like it now, you should just drop it. The first quote-on-quote arc ends on issue 10 according to interviews, though it's less of an arc and more of a build-up of one and dones on top of each other. Multi-issue stories start after that though.

e: and as for not adding anything onto the larger arc -- the most recent issue heavily implied Helena is working as a double agent with her own ulterior motive. She definitely had to have found out the transmissions were from Batman, but used the girl's spy cameras as a way out of revealing that. It's just in time too, since December's annual is going to be all about her.

I really liked Nightwing 30 and issues 1 and 2, are just this last two issues (and the FE one shot) that didn't do anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

you should just drop it.

Probably Eternal too.
I think your weekly report of 'Horrible as usual' vs 'it was okay this week' is maybe 10:1.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread