Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

with the exception of bresson, all the cahiers dudes started out as critics first before getting into making films

my point was that essentialist statements like that every critic is a failed artist or that someone who can't perform at x technical level is therefore barred from offering a critical voice are invalid
Taken as given. I withdraw my argument and concede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

muike posted:

yo..... finish that in natural, put a warpig or nailbomb in it and play the poo poo out of it

I'll take any suggestion to heart.

I really wanted to do something wild or crazy and at one point thought of doing like a 70's racecar type paint scheme. So if anyone has suggestions or wants to vote. Be my guest. I've only ever really done guitar setups until last year. Now, I'm more or less building them on a hobbyist level. I've done a kit bass and am currently doing an ES clone kit for a friend. These kits are great for practice but this guy is pretty solid and built well. I really want to not gently caress it up on this one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
or like a dark metallic blue, or dark royal blue with slight sparkle, single humbucker in the bridge with a black cover and nickel bolts/screws. mixed nickel/black hardware, dye the fretboard and inlays darker

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

AchtungBaby posted:

From this moment on if anyone talks poo poo about SG guitars I'll poo poo post for 5 pages.

The G stands for guitar, holmes

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I always thought that was really weird. if i didn't know better i'd say a japanese company came up with it

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I'm still upset at Steve Vai for not making a whole album with that "Xavian" scale he invented by subdividing the octave into 16 steps instead of 12 and then picking 10 notes out of that for a scale

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tacodaemon posted:

I'm still upset at Steve Vai for not making a whole album with that "Xavian" scale he invented by subdividing the octave into 16 steps instead of 12 and then picking 10 notes out of that for a scale
Aww, I'd never heard of that (BAD VAI FAN, BAD) but now that you mention it I'm angry, too! :negative:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

dr. faustus do you only play in new standard tuning

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ThePutty posted:

dr. faustus do you only play in new standard tuning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl8FQvKMXEA

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

you can almost hear dr. faustus hyperventilating with excitement

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 1, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Putty I've seen some trolls in my day but you're by far the dumbest. Everything escapes you. You're so stupid you don't even understand how far out of your league you are, here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

In answer to the actual question: I play pretty much exclusively 1/2-step down from standard. It helps with singing, it makes the guitar sound bigger (esp. with light-top/heavy bottoms) and it fits with my roots: SRV and old Van Halen, both of them played down 1/2 step from A440.
When I need to detune for fun low tones I already start off 1/2 step below standard and DR JH-.010's can handle the low tones just fine, with the tite-fit .056 that masses more.

Anything else?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

yo protip click on that video in the annotation

its complete delay pedal nonsense. oh yeah dude, i definitely couldnt make tuneless rhythmic bullshit with my delay pedal cranked up in normal tuning, you've totally opened my eyes.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Putty I've seen some trolls in my day but you're by far the dumbest. Everything escapes you. You're so stupid you don't even understand how far out of your league you are, here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

In answer to the actual question: I play pretty much exclusively 1/2-step down from standard. It helps with singing, it makes the guitar sound bigger (esp. with light-top/heavy bottoms) and it fits with my roots: SRV and old Van Halen, both of them played down 1/2 step from A440.
When I need to detune for fun low tones I already start off 1/2 step below standard and DR JH-.010's can handle the low tones just fine, with the tite-fit .056 that masses more.

Anything else?

can you record a steve vai-esque rendition of the thomas the tank engine theme for me

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThePutty posted:

can you record a steve vai-esque rendition of the thomas the tank engine theme for me

Sure, I "can." Would you pretty please go gently caress yourself to death? For me?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sure, I "can." Would you pretty please go gently caress yourself to death? For me?

seems like holding up your end first is only fair

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Fax Sender posted:

show me some really thin guitars
The Eye is really thin. This picture makes it look a little thicker than it is (and it's next to my AX7521 which is fairly thin, but still a centimetre or two thicker), but it's thin enough that it has minor neck dive issues. Resonates real nice though.

muike posted:

i won't talk poo poo about sgs because they made some great hosed up ones in the 70s and i want a 70s sg really bad. or one of the ibanez copies with the les paul style pickguard and les paul recording style top rout cavity cover
My dad has a Guild S90, 1973 I think? It's basically an SG clone but a little wonky. Apparently it was better than the gibson SG's of its year and from playing it and listening to it I would not be at all surprised if that was true, it's a really, really nice guitar.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Faustus, it would be hilarious and we'd be laughing with you rather than at you for a change. I'm being 100% serious here, please reconsider.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

if you record the thomas the tank engine theme i will never bother you again

infact, i will praise every post you make in sincerity

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThePutty posted:

if you record the thomas the tank engine theme i will never bother you again

infact, i will praise every post you make in sincerity

You don't bother me now, you praiseless, hopeless cur.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I can just imagine the nurse giving faustus his meds and apple sauce in a year or two while he mutters about Steve Vai and internet trolls

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower
i kinda wanted one of those yamaha RGX plastic guitar things at one point, are they as cool as the Vai things?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

Has Faustus ever posted any clips showing off his guitar skills?

I feel like he should have to go first, since he's the one with the ugly guitars.

he plays boring vai rip offs, standard shredder schtick. he can play notes, but its dull and lifeless.

i love blackmachines so much aaaaaaaa

on thin guitars there were some basses at a music production expo i went to a few years back. they were standard hideous overly stylised basses, but my gently caress they were wafer thin. can't ever remember the name though.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
So I meant to post an update on the GBScaster last night but I got invited to a halloween party and ended up getting drunk instead. 'll post more pictures once my hang-over clears...

crashdome posted:

e: A friend of mine is bringing over a SD PRails pickup as a donation for it.

e2: completely stripped except the cavities. 3pc body, solid 1pc neck, headstock veneer which I assume is black walnut

Cover it in neon fake fur, or maybe just give it a clear cloat and use it as is. IMO single-pickup guitars either need to be hyper-gaudy or utilitarian, that'd look gret with a few coats of wipe on poly, or even a danish/tung oil finish.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what about nitro WDE. did you even think about tone?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Stux posted:

IIRC it's a pain in the rear end to apply.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

gnjgfjhgkhdkfjsgkdfhjkdjsgjkhdfksgdfhjk *has stroke*

Sleepflower posted:

IIRC it's a pain in the rear end to apply.

It's unstable as gently caress so it's iffy to store (I'm not 100% but I think my insurance is voided by having a can of it in there, also it can't be legally transported by air and it has special restrictions on being transported by road), it takes ages to cure and it lets moisture in (which is why they stopped using it for cars). It's the 21st century and there is literally no reason to use nitro unless you are repairing a vintage instrument or something. I guess it gets a nice paitina when the finish ages but you can do that with polyurethane pretty easily.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

shiksa posted:

yo protip click on that video in the annotation

its complete delay pedal nonsense. oh yeah dude, i definitely couldnt make tuneless rhythmic bullshit with my delay pedal cranked up in normal tuning, you've totally opened my eyes.

I watched the video and kind of lolled. I read the wikipedia article on New Standard Tuning (tm) and it seems like a lot of effort unless you really have something in mind where you need that extra range.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I watched the video and kind of lolled. I read the wikipedia article on New Standard Tuning (tm) and it seems like a lot of effort unless you really have something in mind where you need that extra range.

robert fripp has a long history of being totally loving insane and into crazy occult books (he gave this one to band members that joined king crimson)

i mean i'm not even into king crimson that much and i know dr. faustus doesn't even come close to him

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ThePutty posted:

robert fripp has a long history of being totally loving insane and into crazy occult books (he gave this one to band members that joined king crimson)

i mean i'm not even into king crimson that much and i know dr. faustus doesn't even come close to him

Yeah, I got the crazy vibe from the special symbol involved and everything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
KING OF THE THREADDDDDD!!!!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

the wikipedia article on king crimson is worth reading just because it's all so insane and mad

red was a good album though

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i like the three of aperfect pair single, basically because of adrian belew i guess

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Hey guys, screw you all, I'm leaving on vacation anyway, bye bitches!

*posts 15 more times*

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
kinda seriously want to hear faustus do the thomas the tank engine song with his way ahead of the pocket soloing style

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Dr. Faustus, do you like trains? This is a serious question.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

SX Stomp Box!

- Produces a sound similar to that of a bass drum when stepped on with foot and plugged into amp
- Uses standard guitar cord. Will work with most guitar amps
- Allows user to create a simple rhythmic self-accompaniment
- New Version - Now with Active circuit!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

SX Stomp Box!

- Produces a sound similar to that of a bass drum when stepped on with foot and plugged into amp
- Uses standard guitar cord. Will work with most guitar amps
- Allows user to create a simple rhythmic self-accompaniment
- New Version - Now with Active circuit!

These things own FYI.

I've seen solo acts use them live.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
pretty sure bob log iii uses one and he's a-ok

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Fax Sender posted:

show me some really thin guitars

:fap:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that looks like a hard edged version of the ritter princess isabella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

pretty sure bob log iii uses one and he's a-ok

Bog Log III is a national treasure

I saw Scott H. Biram once, and I'm pretty sure he used one of those pedals too.

• Locked thread