Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WebDog posted:

powered by on-board hydroelectric generators

What, they're going to fight under waterfalls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I have a feeling they're attempting something like having a pump perpetually run water to power an alternator. They allegedly have a prototype that works.
Not to mention they still have lots of question marks over the power systems and other technical considerations for this thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, the perpetual motion pump. I should have guessed.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, since it's becoming more and more of a Thing these days, do awful patreons fall under the jurisdiction of this thread too, or is that fruit hanging too low?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Elissia posted:

Hey, since it's becoming more and more of a Thing these days, do awful patreons fall under the jurisdiction of this thread too, or is that fruit hanging too low?

http://www.patreon.com/dresdencodak

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From impossibly-powered robots to empowered part-robot ladies, this thread has evrything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elissia posted:

:justpost:

We had a Patreon discussion in this thread a few months back but the search function on that site was so terrible I couldn't be bothered looking through them for too long

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WebDog posted:

MegaBots crossed my feed. Basically a group want to create real life Mech on Mech deathmatches, complete with dynamic damage, exploding panels, detachable limbs and end up being broadcasted on TV....for $1.8m.

They do acknowledge the challenges in building two biped 8 ton mechs that can move at 120mph and somehow not topple over and feature enough gyroscopic magic that's reportedly been all mapped out in simulations.

Also they claim that these are powered by on-board hydroelectric generators that keep the batteries charged - of which I'm curious to how that will actually work in a practical sense.

It also seems the creator was part of a successfully funded, but still in progress with no updates since Jan, walking spider robot.

And all of this is done out of some maker's lab, basically a massive warehouse for people to tinker on DIY projects and helmed by a mix of students and ideas guys. One bloke on the spider page basically lists himself as a googler.

We can build mechs to do battle for $1.8M but the US Army hasn't yet because.... :shrug:

Seriously a single jet costs $350M there's no way you're building a Gundam on 1M :lol:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ullerrm posted:

So, here's a crackpot on the internet making magic wands for hippie ~magick~ people to AMPLIFYE THY THOUGHTS. Kickstarter failed, so he's trying again on GoFundMe.

http://www.gofundme.com/thoughtamplify/

The twist: He is a Goon. This thread is amazing -- and changes forums regularly as the mods drink away the pain.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665421&userid=0&perpage=40

Are you supposed to put them up your butt?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What tier are the inevitable nudes of his magical fantasy genius waifu?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

What tier are the inevitable nudes of his magical fantasy genius waifu?

I want a tier where he does that 'empowered' pose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Have you ever wanted to date Youtube Superstar Jontron?

Now you can!

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Now you can!

Jontron and peanut butter gamer look suspiciously alike there.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Now you can!
Look at those insufferable smugs, now that's an eye for detail.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Waffleman_ posted:

Now you can!

Even worse, ProJared is there. I mean, his videos aren't terrible, but he's quite :barf:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

Even worse, ProJared is there. I mean, his videos aren't terrible, but he's quite :barf:

The most attractive student in school. Part time model.

Edit: Oh, and one of the stretch goals is a male protagonist. So you can be GAY with Jontron if you so wish.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Now you can!

ahahaha, the loving pitch video's song is so unbelievably bad. :laffo:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: Oh, and one of the stretch goals is a male protagonist. So you can be GAY with Jontron if you so wish.
Are penises that hard to draw? I mean, there's plenty every time I use a public restroom. Just trace that, and add a smug face.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This game will be a hit with lovely LPers. All you need to do is play sound bites with profanities and fart noises from respective shows when characters appear on screen.

T-man posted:

Are penises that hard to draw? I mean, there's plenty every time I use a public restroom. Just trace that, and add a smug face.

Yeah, that's some Assassin's Creed: Unity bullshit right there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Waffleman_ posted:

Those photos are fantastic. I really quite like the look of this, art-wise anyway.

I have no idea who any of the people are meant to be though. Not a single one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

We can build mechs to do battle for $1.8M but the US Army hasn't yet because.... :shrug:

Seriously a single jet costs $350M there's no way you're building a Gundam on 1M :lol:

If you want to run mission critical components off of poo poo with a higher failure rate, you could do it for $1M.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Well outside the kickstarter stupidity, mechs really don't make any sense for any sort of realistic war when you can just drop bombs outta planes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

Those photos are fantastic. I really quite like the look of this, art-wise anyway.

I have no idea who any of the people are meant to be though. Not a single one.

They're a group of people who run various game-related shows on Youtube.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

will the KS let me gently caress slowbeef

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

What, did they make JonTron skinny too?

e: Ahahaha oh my god

sub supau has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Nov 2, 2014

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Now you can!

this is goddamn amazing

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
More like jumbotron

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DStecks posted:

will the KS let me gently caress slowbeef

This should be a stretch goal. Slowbeef can be a sexy teacher at this school.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

TetsuoTW posted:

What, did they make JonTron skinny too?

e: Ahahaha oh my god

I can't understand what is going on with his chin/neck situation. He's got multiple drawn-in doublechins but that doesn't mesh with the rest of his body type? Is he forcing his head back relative to his neck so he's got that "human thumb" look going?? Is he deliberately making dumb expressions? Who took those photos and why? Why does the protagonist have them. Does part of the game involve using leaked nudes into blackmailing two of the characters into doing each other? Can I expose JonTron's based debauchery to his mother in a moving, tear-stained climax? I bet they'll include that. I should send in a big donation so they make sure to listen to me.

edit- oh my god there are more photos we can't see.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I don't get it, why are half of these characters drawn really skinny and the other half drawn kinda-sorta chubby?

I won't deign to actually look any of them up to be sure but aren't they all obese in real life?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I won't deign to actually look any of them up to be sure but aren't they all obese in real life?
The Jared guy isn't obese, he's just got a face like a can opener in the Flintstones but with a far higher opinion of himself.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I can't understand what is going on with his chin/neck situation. He's got multiple drawn-in doublechins but that doesn't mesh with the rest of his body type? Is he forcing his head back relative to his neck so he's got that "human thumb" look going?? Is he deliberately making dumb expressions? Who took those photos and why? Why does the protagonist have them. Does part of the game involve using leaked nudes into blackmailing two of the characters into doing each other? Can I expose JonTron's based debauchery to his mother in a moving, tear-stained climax? I bet they'll include that. I should send in a big donation so they make sure to listen to me.

edit- oh my god there are more photos we can't see.

I googled him, and I think those photos are renditions of actual photos of him.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

I googled him, and I think those photos are renditions of actual photos of him.

I can't help but keep seeing that preacher comic every time.

"WHERE THE gently caress IS YOUR CHIN?"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Oh sweet, glad to know the Conqueror Worm found a hobby after all that trouble with the Witchfinder General.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

This is the picture he uses on the videos YouTube threatens me with from time to time:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
JFC I am so loving done with YouTube dinguses and their obsession with this "Slenderman" bullshit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well outside the kickstarter stupidity, mechs really don't make any sense for any sort of realistic war when you can just drop bombs outta planes.

You know we're still mass producing tanks, right?
Funny enough Congress seems to love em even when Generals say they have enough!
What is a mech but a more mobile tank, anyways?

And if they do it cheap by just letting the failure rate go way up, then that's not going to make for a very entertaining bot battle :cheeky:

Waffleman_ posted:

Now you can!

Saw this posted in the kickstarter gaming thread and was wondering how long until it showed up here :)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zaphod42 posted:

You know we're still mass producing tanks, right?
Funny enough Congress seems to love em even when Generals say they have enough!
What is a mech but a more mobile tank, anyways?

The 34-year-old Abrams tank can traverse harsh, uneven terrain at a top speed of 30 mph. Good luck hitting anywhere close to that with a bipedal mech.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

The 34-year-old Abrams tank can traverse harsh, uneven terrain at a top speed of 30 mph. Good luck hitting anywhere close to that with a bipedal mech.

Nobody said it had to be bipedal. I guess if you want literal gundams, yeah.

I mean OBVIOUSLY there's reasons why we're not using gundams in warfare right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean OBVIOUSLY there's reasons why we're not using gundams in warfare right now.

The main reason being that mechs can only be operated by angsty 16 year old kids, according to the documentaries I've seen.