Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I personally haven't done that mission but I know on my boxes I just popped in with bayle marks and the mercs ate those instead, vastly speeding up the mission compared to the awful monsters. I think I took a wizard and tank merc in and they steamrolled through. Took 30 minutes compared to the hour and a half I was stuck doing it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
God drat the people in this game are stupid.
Someone made a tank thread about "solo warrior dps" which is already dumb as hell. People suggested adding a bard duo. I said that was stupid and that duo does almost nothing for you. Then they called me out saying a boxed bard is better than what I suggested, a wizard. People are so adamant at making the game harder for themselves.

I ought to not read the Sony forums or not post or something, cuz I just end up mad and stupid.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 26, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

darkhand posted:

God drat the people in this game are stupid.
Someone made a tank thread about "solo warrior dps" which is already dumb as hell. People suggested adding a bard duo. I said that was stupid and that duo does almost nothing for you. Then they called me out saying a boxed bard is better than what I suggested, a wizard. People are so adamant at making the game harder for themselves.

I ought to not read the Sony forums or not post or something, cuz I just end up mad and stupid.

This is why I have five bans on eqlive and counting

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

darkhand posted:

I quit a long time ago because gently caress those forums so hard. It got worse for me after LoB due to RBD's constant posting about ~~~MY ROLEPLAY~~~ and Sheamous clicking like on every loving post in the entire goddamn forum and posting absolute retarded poo poo every 5 minutes

ugggg just thinking about it now makes me mad :mad:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I need trophy tribute system explained to me. I've never bothered to ever use one until now because I'm the type of idiot who'd go to sleep with tribute running but since it's Test who cares. I got all 8 of the tradeskill trophies maxed at 7/7 and placed them in my house which is paid for but I can't find their effects listed on the tribute master or listed under the Trophy tab of the Tribute Benefits alt + u command.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's cuz thems' the wrong trophies, those just mod TS skill cap from inventory or something. The tribute ones are rewards from various stuff (mostly finishing an entire HoT+ zone's merc/partisan/hero lines, also a really awesome one from just completing ToR2 mission alone). You can look them up on Alla to figure out which ones you want to do, but make sure to notice some of them are GUILD trophies, not personal ones (Like Argath :mad:)

Once you get some of those, you drop them in your personal house or guild hall depending on type, then give the Tribute NPCs some poo poo for trib, then go through the menu system to turn them on. From there, they work just like normal Trib, and yes you will forget to turn them off when you AFK all the loving time.

Off the top of my head, the trophies I used for tanking were ToR2, Breeding Grounds, Sanctum Somnium, and I want to say either Shards Landing or Grell maybe? For guild, we just stacked all the ac/hp/tanking stuff we had, but most of the guild ones come from raids.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I think you're wrong about that. Every guide I've seen specifically says tradeskill trophies at max level can be placed in your house and used in the tribute system without having to have them in inventory or equip them.

[_] 4. They can be placed in your house. When you do this you can access all trophy benefits through the tribute window without spending any tribute points. This means you do not have to search for it and remember to equip it. The trophy will not continue to evolve unless you have it equipped, so I always waited until the trophy was fully evolved to level 7 before placing it in my house.

http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/showthread.php?37646-The-Ultimate-EQ-Tradeskill-Guide

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh yeah that part's probably true, I never bothered with the TS trophies and have no clue. I thought you were asking how to use actual trophies that gave real stat bonuses

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

Node posted:

This expansion is ready for launch. Just kidding, the second raid of the five progression raids doesn't work. LOL!

Also, experience from anything before CotF is going to be severely nerfed for level 101 and greater. They want you to play in their lovely new expansions. https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/sense-heading-grinding-xp-in-the-darkened-sea.214449/

Seriously? Why would they make all their old content worthless. And with the 6 hour lockout on HA is there even anything to do in CoTF?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

ToR2 once for the trophy, slogging through a stream of mostly-godawful HAs on alts to pick up augs, that's about it. To be fair, that's about all that was going to be useful anyway. They just made it way loving more obnoxious to grind HAs on alts or grind xp in the sub-101 zones

Edit - just saw even the first raid requires the entire raid force to have done 20+ flagging tasks. REALLY? That ends any chance of me ever raiding again alone.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 27, 2014

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

We killed the void raid :woop: finally. What a shitshow though, first few attempts we tried to beat all the islands simultaneously, and we got pretty far doing it that way. Then we flailed around doing different strategies involving going to islands separately. Then Lanys would gently caress people up with auras, or the time I thought we won prematurely and she blew the raid up.

Finally we beat it and the chest got AOEd or something and despawned :argh:. A CSR said they would restore the loot, but how does that work? We gotta get everyone that was involved together to bid on items that magically appear in their inventories 3 days later?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

MrTheDevious posted:

Edit - just saw even the first raid requires the entire raid force to have done 20+ flagging tasks. REALLY? That ends any chance of me ever raiding again alone.

this is a thing in TYOOL 2014? lol

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm so confused about the next expansion. The stall tactics with flagging tasks smells of 'oh gently caress we're not finished yet' but then why would you pretty much force you into the new zones if they weren't polished or done by nerfing the poo poo out of xp from old zones? Just gonna chalk it up to 'Sony Online Entertainment'.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It's all "finished" insofar as in it's not a staggered release like RoF and CotF were. I think it's more likely them trying to artificially extend the length of content by making the entire server fight over spawns to progress.

Apparently the raids are assfuckin' hard, too, so that'll probably just be another PoWar shitfest where RoI eventually beats them and everyone else just rams their faces into a brick wall until Sony nerfs them

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

It's all "finished" insofar as in it's not a staggered release like RoF and CotF were. I think it's more likely them trying to artificially extend the length of content by making the entire server fight over spawns to progress.

Apparently the raids are assfuckin' hard, too, so that'll probably just be another PoWar shitfest where RoI eventually beats them and everyone else just rams their faces into a brick wall until Sony nerfs them

They're not PoWar hard. But test isn't going to winning them any time soon. I put Arx1 at about ToR's difficulty, and an IL person said the same thing. Challenging, but far from impossible for a solid guild.

The first one-shot raid you get access to right after Arx1 is balls out impossibly hard. Obviously we got it in one tonight. The two one-shot raids really should have been switched, the next one is much easier and one of the best simple raids in the game.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Anybody know what the Karana fletching vendor stuff that's supposed to be super easy? Only things I can find on eqtraders require 2+ smithing subcombines that suck.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 1, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

This is another thing I'm not 100% on because I wasn't Karana and had to do it the "hard" way (make jetz0r copy me a bigass pile of mats), but I think when people say "easy" they mean you can actually vendor purchase everything you need. Non-Karana fletching requires a ton of feathers that're dropped-only, so you can't vendor your way to 300. I'm guessing Karana has it "easy" because you CAN vendor buy everything regardless of how many subcombines it takes. Check eqtraders for recipes that require marks of karana maybe?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah that's how I checked it with Mark of Karana, I'm using a ton of Jetzor's copied poo poo just thought Karana was more convenient than mass buying the unstackable bow shafts but Steel Guardian Arrows with Karana require 3 subcombines so gently caress that.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh if you have jetz0r's mats package, as long as he didn't liquidate a bunch of it since I got it, you have plenty enough to just do it the pretty-fast non-Karana way using the feathers. I don't remember ever using them for anything else. Fletching only took a couple hours doing it with his mats the hard way, and I did it before all the auto-combine stuff they added in later (though I did copy the TS pot).

IIRC all I had to do was buy stacks of vendor mats (yeah the shafts are unstackable regardless, kinda a PITA) and use em with feathers to get all the way to 300. Make sure you're ditching your trophies and poo poo, since you actively want to fail rather than succeed!

Edit - at no point ever have I felt doing all those TS and the godawful loving shawl lines was remotely worth it for that aug and I regret every bit of it :emo:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight City posted:

Yeah that's how I checked it with Mark of Karana, I'm using a ton of Jetzor's copied poo poo just thought Karana was more convenient than mass buying the unstackable bow shafts but Steel Guardian Arrows with Karana require 3 subcombines so gently caress that.

Pre-RoF, the only real option for non-wood elf or karana fletching was making bows that required multiple drops from limited supply mobs. So the cultural stuff is easy in that it's all vendor bought and pretty cheap. You don't have to spend days in blightfire or powater farming pieces. They're still a much cheaper alternative to the newer 300+ arrows.

Of course, when you can make 5000 tainted feathers and fractured shards appear, those reasons don't count for much.

The high end arrow stuff all stacked afair? The vendor bought bows to get to 250ish didn't stack and were pretty obnoxous to deal with.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

What's the new expansion look like? I'm thinking of coming back to play through it.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

lemonslol posted:

What's the new expansion look like? I'm thinking of coming back to play through it.

I would offer an opinion if I had more of one to give. I can only say it's the first EQ expansion I haven't bothered to preorder or buy on the first week in about 5-6 years.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

lemonslol posted:

Pros:
The zones and new models look good.

Cons:
Just about everything that didn't come from the art dept. Unless you're part of a guild that races to beat new raids, this expansion has poo poo for you and actively shrinks your game world with a 75% reduction to pre-cotf exp and 6 hour lockouts on HAs.

Edit: I know how bad it is to see an invested player say to stay away from a game. The best bet at this point is to wait on buying TDS and see if anything gets better.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 1, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

FWIW that's the same opinion I've heard from literally every person I've talked to

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Pros:
The zones and new models look good.

Cons:
Just about everything that didn't come from the art dept. Unless you're part of a guild that races to beat new raids, this expansion has poo poo for you and actively shrinks your game world with a 75% reduction to pre-cotf exp and 6 hour lockouts on HAs.

Edit: I know how bad it is to see an invested player say to stay away from a game. The best bet at this point is to wait on buying TDS and see if anything gets better.

Yeah the only way I could see if it "gets better" if we get a couple announcements that says:

Sense Heading: 5 zones and 20 raids planned in six months, details inside! [Roshen]

Sense Heading: Put on your sun tan lotion, we're going down memory lane for a bonus raid zone revamp! [Prathun]

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Anybody feel like making a little list of each expansion's major quest lines? Another goon and I are going through everything from PoP to whatever abortion the new expansion is trying to do the major progression and questline stuff but since I skipped from GoD to HoT the only thing I'm doing is googling 'secrets of faydwer progression' etc which tells us the major progression but doesn't tell us the Breakdown in Communication type quests we'll be missing.

It doesn't matter if the progression is no longer needed it's just something we're doing on our way up to current content, already finished PoP / GoD - BiC - Discord skin samples. Just whatever major quest lines anyone knows offhand that might get overlooked.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 6, 2014

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Off the top of my head, major tasks/quests:

GoD: Tongues, BiC, Tacvi Tome (loot all the remains)
DoN: Normal progression
DoDH: Sword of Illsalin (collect 5 gems from various tasks/zones), Flag for DSK, Blood Raids, Monocle of Blood, Skull of Den Lord Rakban.
PoR: Flag for Theater of Blood, Flag for Deathknell
TSS: Charm of Lore, Explorer's Guild
TBS: Flag for Solteris / complete the Transformed Ring of Power
SoF: Temporal Oculus, Wereorc Illusion thing, Ancient Faycite Bone Circum, Blessed/Cursed Faycites, Strike Force Black Badge
SoD: Bayle's Heraldic Crest, Blood of the Fallen, Iksar Skeleton Illusion, Dark Soul Crystal, Flag for Korafax, Ogre Familiar
UF: Shawl 2.0

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
Every year or two I get the EQ bug, and with ArcheAge failing to meet my poopsock expectations (among other things) I require another foray into the game to end all games. My experiences in the past couple of years were unfortunately short due to goon guilds kind of shorting out after a month or three. I've most recently played on Test where I have several 80+, but I'm more than willing to try FV, Vox or any other server if a halfway active and populated guild would be around for a decent amount of time. I'm down for raids, content exploration, leveling (of course) and general grouping. drat this game.

w1ntermute fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 7, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Don't go to FV, whatever you do.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Node posted:

Don't go to FV, whatever you do.

Damnit, and that was my plan to avoid the awful Test server cycle of disappearing guilds. Guess I can try Test again and see if I can get into a bigger guild.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I'd never play on a server other than FV or test. I only play like 3 weeks out of the year though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

w1ntermute posted:

Damnit, and that was my plan to avoid the awful Test server cycle of disappearing guilds. Guess I can try Test again and see if I can get into a bigger guild.

There's usually one big guild other than LoB on Test at any time, though they tend to dissolve and change pretty rapidly. Last I saw, it was "The Outfit" but they might have already broken up. If you're looking for a guild to have a lot of people to group with so you don't have to box, Test is pretty iffy. Most everyone boxes since it's free. I think Live servers have a lot bigger population of regular groups

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

w1ntermute posted:

The guilds go away but the people remain. Everyone in my old guild left to The Outfit, but then half of them split up to form Infinty of Light. And there's The Faceless Order who's all about progression. I think they are doing POP raids and UF, every week.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

The Outfit is full of the most easily trollable people on the internet. Whenever I'm swarming there will always be some of them who try to take a camp that there are no mobs actually alive in, sit there until they respawn, then complain when I train them that they "didn't know it was being camped". I literally made the guild "Entrance is Camped" for my swarming SKs because of them and they STILL do this.

The Faceless Order is on PoP stuff again because they started over after not being able to beat Underfoot. No idea how that could've happened, I've deleted more level 100 toons than I can count and started over on them but even I can't think of how that conversation went down in their guild chat. "Guys we obviously can't beat Underfoot raids so our next best option is to start back from PoP!"

They tried leap frogging my SK to Xegony a few days ago but I made it first and HT'd her which bugged her out and she summoned all her adds at once who destroyed their entire raid and they started sending me really hilarious whispers of "THIS MEANS WAR", so I did the only natural step one could take when in a war, following them around and killing their raid mobs before they could.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 7, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Hahah I went on a couple raids with TFO last year out of boredom and was shocked at how SERIOUS BUSINESS they were. There was zero idle bullshitting or joking around or having fun in voice chat or guild chat at all. Even back in the day when I was in a "serious" raid guild, we still had fun on the raids. Not TFO though!

Worst part was when I went with them to Solteris and they failed the first event twice and couldn't get past the second period, even with 54 twinked out FV copied players. That was, incidentally, the last time I raided with them at all.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MrTheDevious posted:

Hahah I went on a couple raids with TFO last year out of boredom and was shocked at how SERIOUS BUSINESS they were. There was zero idle bullshitting or joking around or having fun in voice chat or guild chat at all. Even back in the day when I was in a "serious" raid guild, we still had fun on the raids. Not TFO though!

Worst part was when I went with them to Solteris and they failed the first event twice and couldn't get past the second period, even with 54 twinked out FV copied players. That was, incidentally, the last time I raided with them at all.

They told me I could only use Underfoot or lower gear. Gear that's common and easy to acquire, even with lesser stats aren't allowed. I argued with the recruiter guy for 10 minutes over that this morning. Needless to say if I do go on a raid with them I won't be volunteering that info. I just want to see the content who gives a flying gently caress what gear I wear

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It'd probably be better to box there, one guy is your bad progression character and the other is a level 100 spamming buffs on people waiting to zone into the raid. I did that for about 10 minutes while I loaded boxes to do OMM for my bard and people got so MAD.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Oh yeah, their ethical progression only mentality is a straight up smoke screen, just following them around to KS their targets I was spotting them clearing poo poo with their 100's to make it faster and to pull, plus as soon as they move up an expansion they'll just use raid lockout gimmicks to get their character fully equiped in the best in slot for that expansion gear.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

They told me I could only use Underfoot or lower gear. Gear that's common and easy to acquire, even with lesser stats aren't allowed. I argued with the recruiter guy for 10 minutes over that this morning. Needless to say if I do go on a raid with them I won't be volunteering that info. I just want to see the content who gives a flying gently caress what gear I wear

They will inspect you repeatedly and boot you, dead serious. It's the strangest drat clusterfuck of a system where they'll boot people for using "non-era" gear regardless of stats while chain-grinding the raids with 100s on off-nights to gear their characters.

Just do what Stanos said and box if you just want to see the raids. Your group chat is more entertaining while boxing than TFO is anyway :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

If they let you use anything upto the expansion level cap it would be a better experience overall. So what if you can use hardcore heritage gear, or HoT group gear, or an extra casting subtly rank or whatever. It's not like any of that is gonna tip you over the edge into overpowered territory.