Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

The US rhetoric about unions is absolutely bananas. Regardless of how you feel about your union rep, the actual bottom line dollar amount on your job offer is HUGELY affected by your union status. I love ONA and I'm not afraid to admit it. Without a strong union we'd be wiping asses just for the moral high ground because nursing is a caring profession, don't you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm consistently mad that the SEIU made a half-assed attempt to unionize my workplace because it basically gave the admin a chance to roll out huge anti-union messaging that the SEIU couldn't compete with and probably helped set back any pro-union attempts in the region for years.

e vvvv :(:hf::(

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Was still riding high on landing an ICU position at a fancy teaching hospital right outta school and now salary chat makes me wanna hate my job.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Dirp posted:

Was still riding high on landing an ICU position at a fancy teaching hospital right outta school and now salary chat makes me wanna hate my job.

I worked for 21.50 for about two years in north Dakota as a new grad in a general icu. Cost of living was stupidly high because fracking boom. Now I can call up my travel agent and go where I please at any time.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I make 21.50 on my overtime hours as an emt while sleeping. Woot.
And they asked me to start a union at my job. Uh yeah. Sure.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How do we get away with paying emt's and medics poo poo wages? Fwiw, I think you guys ought to get paid significantly more.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

I make 21.50 on my overtime hours as an emt while sleeping. Woot.
And they asked me to start a union at my job. Uh yeah. Sure.

Was that sarcastic or no

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Roki B posted:

Was that sarcastic or no

Semi sarcastic because I am in nursing school full time and I don't want to have to handle all that starting a union entails while also going out of my mind studying 3-4 hours per day.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Cacafuego posted:

How do we get away with paying emt's and medics poo poo wages? Fwiw, I think you guys ought to get paid significantly more.

Because (at least here) there are a lot of certified volunteers that we can hire quickly to fill spots. Lots of supply. Lots of demand too, but lots more supply.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Okay so I seem to be having trouble with these pharm tests despite studying for 4-5 hours per day on the different drugs, making drug cards, study groups and doing nclex questions on the drugs. I just got "pharmacology made insanely easy" right before the test.
I usually am on top of everything everywhere else in the classes.
What else can I do to study for these? I am ready to make audio of the drugs to listen to while I am driving around would be my next step. The school asked for a lot of fringe adverse effects on the last test.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

White Chocolate posted:

The school asked for a lot of fringe adverse effects on the last test.

They must not know about a real nurse having infinite drug resources at their fingertips while on the job...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

djfooboo posted:

They must not know about a real nurse having infinite drug resources at their fingertips while on the job...

In my experience they know (we're required to buy a ton of apps and handbooks, that can't be charged to financial aid) but they don't care. They want all graduates walking across the stage prepared to do patient care in a theoretical information dark age where only your specific brain still functions.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

djfooboo posted:

They are quite aware of this and we take advantage of it during clinicals. I just need to pass because last week made my whole class want to quit entirely.

And when I say fringe I mean, there are like twenty adverse effects listed but the second to last one is the one they noted in the question, the rare one.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

I got into a 13 month ABSN program starting in January!
They really don't give you a whole lot of time to move, find scholarships, etc...Would commuting 1.5 hours each way per day for a semester or so be undoable? The nurses I volunteer with honestly have me sort of terrified of nursing school and I don't want to add sitting in traffic in winter on top of that, but not having to pay 1.5 rent + 2 utilities is really appealing.

On a different note, the clinical scrubs that my program uses are pure white. Who decided this and why?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Koala Food posted:

I got into a 13 month ABSN program starting in January!
They really don't give you a whole lot of time to move, find scholarships, etc...Would commuting 1.5 hours each way per day for a semester or so be undoable? The nurses I volunteer with honestly have me sort of terrified of nursing school and I don't want to add sitting in traffic in winter on top of that, but not having to pay 1.5 rent + 2 utilities is really appealing.

On a different note, the clinical scrubs that my program uses are pure white. Who decided this and why?

Half an hour is getting to be too much of a commute for me and I have 16 months left on my ADN program. I made plans starting out to move closer to school to avoid spending all my time driving because no excuses, even if my car breaks down I can get there. I would rather live in the same town I go to the gym and school and work instead of each of these things being 30 minutes away from each other. Think about how hard it is going to be to start a study group when everyone splits for the day and you want to study until 11pm(which is something nursing school taught me to do). You have other people going on their 1.5 hour commute one way both times and killing themselves daily for it, why why why would you ever do that to yourself. Nursing school > everything else while it is going on.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Three hours a day plus accounting for winter weather sounds like a super horrible idea. You have to also consider gas money plus roughly 50 cents per mile for basic maintenance costs. Compare that plus the value of your time when considering paying for one semester of rent and utilities.

Not sure where you live but sometimes my ten minute commute turns into an hour long one in the winter, I can hardly imagine having the stress of driving 1.5 hours in a storm just to go to class. Also depending on where you live, two months is plenty of time to find a place to live and move.

Regarding studying for pharm, I found it helpful to study meds in groups, not just random flash cards. Study your beta blockers together, your proton pump inhibitors, your SSRIs, etc. Most classes have the same-ish side effects and if you group all the names together, many of which can sound similar, that might help trigger your memory on the test.

Honestly pharm is overwhelming as a student nurse and you need to work with the meds in real life and do patient education about them repeatedly before you can ramble off drug dictionary like knowledge from your brain. If you could get a study group together and take turns teaching each other about a med, that can help too. It sounds dumb but explaining stuff out loud to other people can help your mind digest the information in a different way.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My commute was about an hour each way for 12 months, I managed to do it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Koala Food posted:

This reminds me of a clinical instructor who insisted on white scrub bottoms. Always knew her panty print of the day :barf:

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Pharmacology was a separate pre-req for us, so it's been a while since I took it. I agree with studying classes of drugs, rather than each separate one. My program just asks for the major side effects, no tricky questions.

Looks like I get to go to the OR with my clinical patient tomorrow! It's a TURP vs suprapubic cath, so either way I'll get to do bladder irrigation! I kind of hope it's a TURP, because I've seen a suprapubic put in at the bedside before.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 19, 2016

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Christoff posted:

Any help finding a not poo poo for-profit ASN program in Southern California? I have the GI Bill so I'm not worried about cost. There's a CC near me with a great nursing program but they have so many pre-reqs and pre-reqs for the pre-reqs. (I have college anatomy and a lot of GE) Plus EMT, Military medical experience, and should be getting Medial-assistant soon. I'd like to do BSN down the line. Will getting my ASN from a for-profit effect getting a BSN because some schools won't take all the courses? From what I understand that only really applies to state schools?

There's just so many schools to go through and i'm just going off yelp reviews to see which ones are shady.

If you have 100% GI bill just pick the first yellow ribbon school that accepts you, that you want to attend. Yellow ribbon is my barometer for shady vs non shady schools except when they are tiny.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any good resources I can look into regarding travel nursing? What it's like, how long are the assignments, what is the pay like, etc.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
We don't get to wear scrubs... we have to wear these awful white uniforms that make you sweat like a pig and look terrible and are super uncomfortable.

This pic is our program, but not my class. I think last year? I got it from our college president's website. Same uniform in any case.

e: might be a bit older. Currently the girls uniforms have a red stripe around the cuff of the uniform top and the circular shoulder badges are burgundy.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

We wear just about that same color teal scrubs. It's a great color on me, so I don't mind. My EMS coworkers hated it when doing their hospital rotations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

We don't get to wear scrubs... we have to wear these awful white uniforms that make you sweat like a pig and look terrible and are super uncomfortable.

We had to wear the milkman uniforms too. They changed it right after I graduated in 09.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

We had to wear the milkman uniforms too. They changed it right after I graduated in 09.

I call em the Psych Ward Whites, because we (us guys especially) look like Orderlies.

Wonder why we didn't wear them on our Psych rotation...?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Annath posted:

Wonder why we didn't wear them on our Psych rotation...?
To make it feel less like a hospital. Nobody wore scrubs during our psych rotation. And hey, I had similar lovely uniforms. Nice to see that someone else suffered with those.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ravenfood posted:

To make it feel less like a hospital. Nobody wore scrubs during our psych rotation. And hey, I had similar lovely uniforms. Nice to see that someone else suffered with those.

Haha, but the nurses and mental health techs wore scrubs... Blue and burgundy respectively. Only the students were there in black polos, khaki slacks, and brown shoes :P

But yeah the whites suck rear end. Supposedly they're being replaced next year, but not until after accreditation comes around this spring.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
Any advice on landing a job as an ADN in NYC? I graduate in the Spring 2015 and I plan on going to Hunter or SUNY Downstate for my RN-BSN.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Whites suck. I went to a nursing school based around College Station (which if you're not familiar, is quite close to a cult) so maroon scrubs were our thing. We did use white tops for the first couple of semesters to differentiate the new people and the upper classmen.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

LordAnkh posted:

Any advice on landing a job as an ADN in NYC? I graduate in the Spring 2015 and I plan on going to Hunter or SUNY Downstate for my RN-BSN.

Get to know nursing managers on whatever unit you are interested in during your clinicals. Also get a job as a tech or something in that hospital if you can. Much easier to move into an RN position from within.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Seconding the tech, CNA or even secretary position where you want to work. You can usually get a job if you have a good relationship with the nursing staff/boss and show you have a good work ethic.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Follow up post to this: Does anyone have any insight on those with PhD's in nursing? Mainly looking at bigger universities which have large nursing schools which focus on research. I start my PhD program in the summer to continue my research from grad school, but every time I go into the faculty office it seems like everyone is depressed or on their last stretch of life, and I have yet to hear of any large bodies of research being conducted. It was similar to where I went to nursing school, which had a large faculty but I don't think produced much, if any research to my knowledge.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

MurderBot posted:

Follow up post to this: Does anyone have any insight on those with PhD's in nursing? Mainly looking at bigger universities which have large nursing schools which focus on research. I start my PhD program in the summer to continue my research from grad school, but every time I go into the faculty office it seems like everyone is depressed or on their last stretch of life, and I have yet to hear of any large bodies of research being conducted. It was similar to where I went to nursing school, which had a large faculty but I don't think produced much, if any research to my knowledge.

I am in a small diploma RN program and we have 2 phds and 2 DNPs- the phds are the director and one adjunct prof and I don't see any research being done. But we are also transitioning into being a BSN program in the next two years. If you want to be a director of a program then yeah.

Otherwise why not go join the cochrane collaboration? They know who is doing the research and they review it. You could find someone doing the research you want to do that way.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I would need to be at a larger university mainly because of my wife's job, since she's relegated to Division I women's sports. The cochrane collab looks like it would be a good place to work, they work with UC SF so that could be an opportunity.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Speaking of Grad/Postgrad, what's the word on becoming a Nurse Practitioner? I assume it's a better choice for someone who's absolutely terrible with math than CRNA right? And both are Ph.D now.

I know NPs
NPs have varying levels of autonomy depending on the state you live in, but can anyone give me some info on day to day work?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

halokiller posted:

Whites suck. I went to a nursing school based around College Station (which if you're not familiar, is quite close to a cult) so maroon scrubs were our thing. We did use white tops for the first couple of semesters to differentiate the new people and the upper classmen.

I had to wear white when I did clinicals for my CNA license, and I felt like a psych orderly the entire time. Thankfully for nursing clinical we wear the same navy as the RNs in the hospital, just with the school logo instead of the hospital logo.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Annath posted:

Speaking of Grad/Postgrad, what's the word on becoming a Nurse Practitioner? I assume it's a better choice for someone who's absolutely terrible with math than CRNA right? And both are Ph.D now.

I know NPs
NPs have varying levels of autonomy depending on the state you live in, but can anyone give me some info on day to day work?

They're not both PhDs now. Nurse practitioners are masters level. There was talk of nurse practitioners moving to doctoral level practice, but it's not a requirement and doesn't look like it will be for a while (if ever).

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

amethystbliss posted:

They're not both PhDs now. Nurse practitioners are masters level. There was talk of nurse practitioners moving to doctoral level practice, but it's not a requirement and doesn't look like it will be for a while (if ever).

DNP is different from PH.D and not all NPs are Doctor levels DNPs although the paradigm is supposed to shift eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

But it's totally not educational inflation!