Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils is still exactly one day off.

Is Todd wearing a little Star Trek jersey? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Grilox posted:

Did I miss a part in my childhood where I was supposed to refer to people by their full names in my head? :confused:

Tiggum posted:

I guess so. And not just in your head either. Have you never heard little kids talking about school friends and referring to them by full names all the time?

I have a close friend who is always calling me by my full name. She's a weirdo, though, so she might not be a good example to go by.

Luann

Of course not! Why show any of the new characters when we can drag back all these old extra characters we just went through all this trouble to jettison? Looks like the only characters who actually got cut from the strip for reals were The Black One and The Latina One. And Gunther, I guess. (The Whitest One?)

Apartment 3-G

She couldn't answer because she was busy changing her shirt, I guess.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Did you really just record that with your flip-phone, Spidey?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drat, Emmy, that is one bony rear end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Parahexavoctal posted:

Yyyeah, I realized that after I posted. Sometimes the joke just goes over one's head.

Speaking of jokes literally going over someone's head, here's JOHN DARLING.

In the first strip, John is still in the studio audience for Saturday Night Live. This strip was published in July 1979, during the summer break after SNL's third season, but before the beginning of the fourth (in October of that year): the gag of superimposing witty comments over shots of random audience members ended after the third season.

The caption superimposed over John is a reference to Certs candy, and their advertising slogan which claims that it is "two, two, two mints in one".

In the second strip, John is going to a thinly disguised Studio 54.

Punchline to strip #1: [not applicable]
Punchline to strip #2: John hopes that his meager fame will be enough to earn him access into a very popular and exclusive discotheque/nightclub, only to learn that he has missed the peak of its popularity.

I finally figured out what these John Darling strips were reminding me of, if not in visual style then in spirit:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Always fun when those two get to play the innocent.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

(from "Melonpool", one of the first webcomics I've ever read in the 1990s)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (November 2, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (September 13-15, 1951)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Did you really just record that with your flip-phone, Spidey?

Newspaper Spider-Man owns several micro-miniaturized tracker/transponder units that (iirc) he has somehow configured to be perceptible via spider-sense, but this is his idea of a discreet audio recorder, and he feels super clever about it and everything.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

This comic is so irritatingly inconsistent. It gets so boring sometimes, but then it jumps to a new story and suddenly I'm totally invested again. I really want to see what Blaze is going to do now. I'm pretty sure B-B Eyes is not going to like it.
I want to know what "equipment" he was talking about.
What is that in his mouth? His tongue? His teeth?

F Minus

Great once they try our churros we'll never see the last of them.

Mary Worth

AND he's a car-haver? Hanna you gotta nail this guy down, NOW!

Rex Morgan MD

Did you offer her a car? Cause if you had maybe she would have.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

AND he's a car-haver? Hanna you gotta nail this guy down, NOW!
My god, it would be the perfect Mary Worth solution: not only would Dingdon's car troubles be over, but the rules of the retirement community would mean that she'd never have to babysit her grandkid again, AND she'd be married to this silver fox with a valid driver's license long before her daughter even manages to go on a second date! And as easy as that, it's another flawless victory for the elderly, with nothing left to do but print a misquoted platitude and play it out with a couple of weeks' worth of people talking about how awesome Mary Worth's advice was.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Pickles from yesterday and today. I'd have posted yesterday but I fell asleep at the computer....

and Bleeker

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

One of the things that make these is the smoking Rudolph Valentino-like closeup of Val grooving on the bandits' suffering.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

I know that Brooke is running out of ideas but he could have spaced these out a little better.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Drink that bombay saph and let your inhibitions melt away, phantom

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Oh, it's on, Chonny! It's on!!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We only have 364 days until the next Halloween!

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

There is no such thing as to many dinosaurs. At least til you're 13 or so.

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

The joke is that Ed blames his wife for the neighborhood kids TPing the house after being a douchebag all week.

On the Fastrack

So Lenore is the bird equivalent of a couch potato?

Safe Havens

Not pictured: everyone wallowing in their own filth.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 27, 1927)

Peanuts (November 1, 1967)

"We don't cotton to longhairs in...dammit, what city do we live in again?"

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

"I'll stash it in the first place anybody would look! I'm so clever!"

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 21-22, 1925)

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set remembers when a few cents would buy you something.

Working Daze commits sacrelidge.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I've decided to try slicing the scans in half, so that it'll display easier and I won't have to mess around with reducing the size.

In today's John Darling, John goes into the thinly-disguised Studio 54, even though last strip, he discovered that it is no longer popular.

The man to John's right is a Shriner, whose presence indicates that the club is no longer exclusive. "Jackie" is Jackie Kennedy, who in the late 70s was kind of a fashion icon. "Farrah" is Farrah Fawcett, actress and sex symbol who eventually died of anal cancer. I'm not sure who "Lisa" is.

Punchline to this strip: John does not understand People magazine's editorial strategy of reporting on things that are popular as opposed to unpopular.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 10, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac shows that it is all about Alice.

Heathcliff still has some Halloween remnants kicking around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Guess where I am
I'm calling from the plane

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Parahexavoctal posted:

I've decided to try slicing the scans in half, so that it'll display easier and I won't have to mess around with reducing the size.

In today's John Darling, John goes into the thinly-disguised Studio 54, even though last strip, he discovered that it is no longer popular.

The man to John's right is a Shriner, whose presence indicates that the club is no longer exclusive. "Jackie" is Jackie Kennedy, who in the late 70s was kind of a fashion icon. "Farrah" is Farrah Fawcett, actress and sex symbol who eventually died of anal cancer. I'm not sure who "Lisa" is.

Punchline to this strip: John does not understand People magazine's editorial strategy of reporting on things that are popular as opposed to unpopular.

Studio 52 was in trouble at the time, with the club getting raided and the owners getting arrested for tax evasion.

Also, I'm wondering if "Lisa" is actually Liza Minnelli, who was a regular at the club at the time.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Jesus, Wiley, get off it. My banker was extremely nice, and helpful throughout the life of my mortgage -- which I just paid off in September. The interest rate was excellent. The bank sent me a gift basket with a congratulation card signed by the personnel. Ya know.. they're allowed to make a little money too.

Heavenly Nostrils caught up so here're two.

A candy vomiting dragon is the coolest thing.

I laughed at "the willpower of a 9 year old".

9 Chickweed Lane 11/1/2003

What? Brooke must've been drunk.

Zits

teens_are_lazy.jpg

Kevin & Kell

:stonklol:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Another one of those occasional reminders that Tom Bolling's Super Fun Pak Comix (ie. his only piece of work that doesn't bring Mallard Fillmore down on our heads) is now a daily feature.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Not sure of the choice of the word 'blasted' here... I think 'scrawled' or 'smeared across' would have been better choices, but eh, I'm not a nationally syndicated cartoonist.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Jesus, Wiley, get off it. My banker was extremely nice, and helpful throughout the life of my mortgage -- which I just paid off in September. The interest rate was excellent. The bank sent me a gift basket with a congratulation card signed by the personnel. Ya know.. they're allowed to make a little money too.

I mean, they only nearly destroyed the nation's economy through irresponsible lending and investment schemes which they have yet to suffer any consequences for that ONE time! Geez, cut 'em some slack!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Trent posted:

Guess where I am
Next: Long-distance charges!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Not sure of the choice of the word 'blasted' here... I think 'scrawled' or 'smeared across' would have been better choices, but eh, I'm not a nationally syndicated cartoonist.

Think about it as if it's in a printed newspaper. I assume they use some kind of inkjet-like system for that kind of thing. So the caption is directed at your copy of the character, not the original.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

A candy vomiting dragon is the coolest thing.

A candy vomiting dragon dressed as Spock is the coolester thing.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mister Beeg posted:

Also, I'm wondering if "Lisa" is actually Liza Minnelli, who was a regular at the club at the time.

Unintended Joke?: John cannot get celebrity names correct.

Also anybody who saw the last season of Boardwalk Empire know full well what Shriners can get up to in clubs. :fap:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Simian_Prime posted:

I mean, they only nearly destroyed the nation's economy through irresponsible lending and investment schemes which they have yet to suffer any consequences for that ONE time! Geez, cut 'em some slack!

I love his strips on bankers and CEOs and the like, frankly he's being too loving nice to them. The world as a whole is.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trent posted:

Guess where I am

Will you call when you get there?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I love his strips on bankers and CEOs and the like, frankly he's being too loving nice to them. The world as a whole is.

The goon belief that something that's absolutely dogshit is actually fairly loving good because it has the right political opinion is something I'll never understand. The strips say bankers or politicians or whoever are bad, that doesn't change that they're poorly drawn, contain only the barest attempts at humor, and are exactly the same as every other lovely strip that stupid hack Wiley has ever drawn.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

For another bit of '70s culture, note that John is sporting a white three-piece suit, unbuttoned black shirt, and gold chain -- in other words, John Travolta's outfit from Saturday Night Fever.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Ugh.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

I don't think Ox understands how digital recording works. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The goon belief that something that's absolutely dogshit is actually fairly loving good because it has the right political opinion is something I'll never understand. The strips say bankers or politicians or whoever are bad, that doesn't change that they're poorly drawn, contain only the barest attempts at humor, and are exactly the same as every other lovely strip that stupid hack Wiley has ever drawn.

But it was so funny when <politicians are bad>, haha! I laughed so hard at <Danae hates everybody>!! That lazy <Maine accent> loves lasagna so much!!

• Locked thread