Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Randler posted:

Best case scenario: The lack of Scottish Labour votes will make the Tories the ruler of the United Kingdoms for the forseeable future.

Best case for who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

What happened, did a group of old people vote and assure themselves the future was safe and then let themselves become the mist?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

What happened, did a group of old people vote and assure themselves the future was safe and then let themselves become the mist?

it turned out that the pledge the three leaders signed to give scotland more powers if they stayed was bullshit. just like the last referendum in the 70s

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Best case for who?

People who don't like the British and wish them ill. :kheldragar:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What changed?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
scotland, known tory stronghold

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cameron's only got seven more months in power, so of course he's going to troll hard.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

CoolCab posted:

scotland, known tory stronghold

My understanding is that Labours losses going to the SNP would still lead to Tory dominance in Britain due to the silly way your queen chooses who will become PM. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

People who don't like the British and wish them ill. :kheldragar:

It didn't work for you just before die Erster Weltkrieg, what makes you think it will work now, Meshigene? :allears:

Randler posted:

My understanding is that Labours losses going to the SNP would still lead to Tory dominance in Britain due to the silly way your queen chooses who will become PM. :shrug:

Pretty sure SNP only runs for Scottish Parliament, freeing its voters to send in Labourites to Westminster if they so please.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I guess he could go for the comedy option and repeal the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act :kheldragar:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pretty sure SNP only runs for Scottish Parliament, freeing its voters to send in Labourites to Westminster if they so please.

Aw. Oh well, maybe they're New Labour and will screw the British people just as hard. :kheldragar:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Randler posted:

No, it's a parliamentary democracy. The SNP is to the left of both main parties; if Labour lose all their Scotland seats to the SNP and Labour and the Tories both lack enough seats to form a majority government (which is how polls look now) based on the remaining seats, the SNP plays kingmaker; if them pulling a Party Quebecois with Labour is probably the farthest left government we can reasonably hope for. With that said, they've pledged to not vote on English issues at Westminster which is frothingly insane so :smithicide:

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 1, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What changed from the vote to now tho?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

david cameron continued to be prime minister

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope, SNP runs for UK Parliament. There are 6 SNP MPs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

euphronius posted:

What changed from the vote to now tho?

all the parties went back on their devolution claims, within 24 hours of the vote being over

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Nope, SNP runs for UK Parliament. There are 6 SNP MPs.

Bah. The UK is even wackier than the US, and that's saying something.

Y'all Brits need to federalize proper. Hire our folks as consultants, we can show you the ropes. :clint:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, US Federalism is a great system, working well, that other countries should emulate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Yeah, US Federalism is a great system, working well, that other countries should emulate.

At least some things do work better here than either in the UK or the EU. They would do well to learn from our mistakes, Dear Lord horrible mistakesextensive experience.

Right now the UK has no Constitution and has a really wacky unevenly-devolved governing structure that is untenable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CoolCab posted:

No, it's a parliamentary democracy. The SNP is to the left of both main parties; if Labour lose all their Scotland seats to the SNP and Labour and the Tories both lack enough seats to form a majority government (which is how polls look now) based on the remaining seats, the SNP plays kingmaker; if them pulling a Party Quebecois with Labour is probably the farthest left government we can reasonably hope for. With that said, they've pledged to not vote on English issues at Westminster which is frothingly insane so :smithicide:

That or a Tory/UKIP coalition after UKIP picks up all their targets. You will love Deputy Prime Minister Nigel Farage.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 1, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh yeah, UKIP MPs is gonna be funny as heck.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

everyone should just try the belgian system. "it works, somehow. maybe?"

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The UK is trying very hard to fight the European Convention on Human Rights so I don't think they want to take inspiration from the Us where some rights are even in the constitution.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Absurd Alhazred posted:

At least some things do work better here than either in the UK or the EU. They would do well to learn from our mistakes, Dear Lord horrible mistakesextensive experience.

Right now the UK has no Constitution and has a really wacky unevenly-devolved governing structure that is untenable.

we still have hereditary peers for some loving reason. our government is in part based on an assumption there's a "leadership" gene.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Randler posted:

The UK is trying very hard to fight the European Convention on Human Rights so I don't think they want to take inspiration from the Us where some rights are even in the constitution.

Kippers and Tories talk up the Magna Carta a lot, which given it was aimed at codifying the power and rights of extremely rich Baron seems about right.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also hey thread i'm really hungover i think halloween is kind of a dumb holiday but i'm always down to dress up and drink a lot so i'm embracing it. hope you all had a good time as well or played d&d in this thread or whatever.

warszawa: i'll be watching that hbo movie tonight.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CoolCab posted:

we still have hereditary peers for some loving reason. our government is in part based on an assumption there's a "leadership" gene.

:biotruths:

Although to be fair, British Royalty are living proof of the dangers of inbreeding and the value of genetic diversity. :unsmith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CoolCab posted:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Unless Jeb can trace his ancestors to the Sedwick family, I won't be impressed (enough to make Hope Leslie jokes)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
But really, :laffo: at the House of Lords being a things that exists in 2014.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

But really, :laffo: at the House of Lords being a things that exists in 2014.

Hey, now, I am hoping to marry into peerage someday! :pervert:

Don't kill the dream!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

What aspects of MIGF's persona are genuine? Far as I can tell, he definitely went to Washu, likes to gently caress Korean girls and really cares about ebola. beyond that it is a mystery

edit: oh my christ i'm over the 1 post per day threshold i should probably stop posting

Correction: Likes to gently caress women from every continent and has a personal and professional stake in the halting of the Ebola epidemic. Korean women are great bbq cooks.

Irish and Israeli are where its at.

I don't want my Ghanan prison project to lose data, damnit. And this whole Ebola issue threatens some of my sources of funding, damnit.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I was part of a mock debate on "Whether the US should take the initiative in international climate change negotiation," and I found myself channeling MIGF and arguing that it was in America's best interest to make sure that money is funneled into our national industry and no tariffs are put on our agricultural goods and I didn't trust the perfidious Russian and Chinese to lead the process. It was really effective, but it made me feel dirty afterwards.

Its effective because, in their heart of hearts, the audience knew your words, if not your intent, rang true.

E

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't kill the dream!

I knew a princess one. She told me to check my privilege. :psyboom:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't kill the dream!

can women even inherit the hereditary ones?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can gay marry into a peerage now. Progress!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I can't help but expect Ed to gently caress up the election, best case scenario is he barely wins and becomes a British Hollande.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

To be quite honest it does work better than the current UK mess. Federalize England now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That would be YouGov, the same people who predicted a Yes during the referendum.

YouGov is poo poo.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ardennes posted:

I can't help but expect Ed to gently caress up the election, best case scenario is he barely wins and becomes a British Hollande.

hasn't his party already slipped hard in the polls to the point where they're neck and neck with UKIP and the Tories

speaking of which I always wondered if UKIP was almost a parallel to Reform in Canada and if UKIP and the Tories would eventually merge to form the Regressive Conservative Party or something

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

hasn't his party already slipped hard in the polls to the point where they're neck and neck with UKIP and the Tories

speaking of which I always wondered if UKIP was almost a parallel to Reform in Canada and if UKIP and the Tories would eventually merge to form the Regressive Conservative Party or something

If that were to happen, I see no scenario where the UK doesn't end up as a two-party system. Ya'll would finally have your own Republicans and Democrats, with reflective policies.

(seriousanswer: UKIP isn't interested in power sharing, they're interested in power. They may be willing to coalition to get power, however, they wouldn't be absolute idiots like the LibDems and would bring down the coalition if anyone tried to gently caress with their core anti-immigrant and anti-nonwhite policies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Irish and Israeli are where its at.

Hey white boy, whatchu doin' in the Middle East?
Hey white boy, come to chase our women like a beast?

quote:

I knew a princess one. She told me to check my privilege. :psyboom:

That's because you need to be at least this privileged to date a princess. Yeesh, you know nothing, Rahm Emanuel.

• Locked thread