Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wow, it's great to hear that they fixed that! That wasn't the case in the Japanese version--well, not with the bounties at least. Updating the OP accordingly.

i don't think he said anything about bounties though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Inflammatory posted:

i don't think he said anything about bounties though.

I did. When you turn in a bounty with multiple players you get more items than if you were playing in single player. You still have to go to the box in the guild office to give it to the other player, but instead of getting 1 hard claw from a panther, for example, you'll get 2, and presumably 3 if you have 3 players.

However only the player turning it in gets the money.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 31, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I can't get to Legend status on Mercenary :(. I'm a measly 150 stars off it, and it's the stupid piddly Bladestorm challenge that's defeating me, the only one I have left to complete. Can't seem to get the button combination right to produce the Tornado Shot effect. Tried it a million times and I'm stuck at 1 out of the required ten. Don't even know how I got that one.

Kind of annoyed, I'm at legend/God status on everything else. It's making my completionist tendancies go all screwbally.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I forgot what the plot was but I'm still right after helping Dameon become the Dark Sultan or whatever. I'm now a Master woodcutter and paladain and level 40. I should probably think about finishing the story or moving on at some point.

Also I got a quest to kill the napdragon pretty early on and it is still absolutely demolishing me, that's normal right?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I keep reading "You can change lives whenever you want.", and they make it sound like I just need to go into a menu- but after stamping around the menu awhile I'm not seeing anything. Do they just mean, "Once you go back to town", or is there a way to do it in the field?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

quaunaut posted:

I keep reading "You can change lives whenever you want.", and they make it sound like I just need to go into a menu- but after stamping around the menu awhile I'm not seeing anything. Do they just mean, "Once you go back to town", or is there a way to do it in the field?

Nah, you have to go to the Guild building, but you're not locked into them outside of, like, tutorial missions.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Nah, you have to go to the Guild building, but you're not locked into them outside of, like, tutorial missions.

You can even skip the tutorial missions for the rest of the lives and still get the items you would have earned incrementally.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Irisi posted:

I can't get to Legend status on Mercenary :(. I'm a measly 150 stars off it, and it's the stupid piddly Bladestorm challenge that's defeating me, the only one I have left to complete. Can't seem to get the button combination right to produce the Tornado Shot effect. Tried it a million times and I'm stuck at 1 out of the required ten. Don't even know how I got that one.

Kind of annoyed, I'm at legend/God status on everything else. It's making my completionist tendancies go all screwbally.

I'm not all that good on getting it to trigger all the time, but if you press A more then three times, you can't trigger the fourth and fifth hits. This took me a while to get.

Basically, the instructions are very literal. If you press A three times quickly at the start, you'll get the first three hits, but you need to wait for the third hit animation to press A for the fourth, and pressing A during the *beginning* of the fourth hit triggers the fifth (Tornado).

edit: Whoops, wrong move. Press midway through the animation of the fourth hit. The timing is really weird. Right before the animation is about to end.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 1, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I got a quest to kill the napdragon pretty early on and it is still absolutely demolishing me, that's normal right?

The napdragon is pretty freaking tough. I took it out at level 30ish as a mercenary, but I have pretty good gear and I used a buttload of healing items. It was a lot easier the second time around since I knew its attacks and could avoid them more effectively.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

The napdragon is pretty freaking tough. I took it out at level 30ish as a mercenary, but I have pretty good gear and I used a buttload of healing items. It was a lot easier the second time around since I knew its attacks and could avoid them more effectively.

I had difficulty with it, but finally murdered it in cold blood at around Level 40, with Yuelia providing healing and Laura on backup stabbing-duty. I felt like a monster :( Laura merrily hacking away it it with a sword made me feel even worse. Haven't been able to partner up with her since.

My current partner of choice is Ophelia, the Queen of Castele. The lady is a tank. We merrily slaughtered the Ancient Dragon together so I could become God Paladin. It was great fun!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
What's the max level for a skill?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Leofish posted:

I did. When you turn in a bounty with multiple players you get more items than if you were playing in single player. You still have to go to the box in the guild office to give it to the other player, but instead of getting 1 hard claw from a panther, for example, you'll get 2, and presumably 3 if you have 3 players.

However only the player turning it in gets the money.

Eh, I guess it's a little bit better then, but still not great. I thought you were saying that when you cashed it in everyone automatically got a copy of the item in their inventory. It's better than the original I guess but still a pain in the rear end, especially since most bounty clerks are nowhere near the guild office.

ayn rand hand job posted:

What's the max level for a skill?

15, or 20 with the DLC.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Is the napdragon a fight you absolutely have to do?

I don't wanna fight my adorable sleepy buddy. :smith:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

dmboogie posted:

If you want to get to Legend status as a Paladin, or you desperately need the bounty he drops, yes.

Otherwise, nah. Just let him snooze.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Irisi posted:

If you want to get to Legend status as a Paladin, or you desperately need the bounty he drops, yes.

Otherwise, nah. Just let him snooze.

The cost of 100% completion always must be paid for with the blood of innocents.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Just beat the game so is this the first game ever that literally has no final boss or even really an antagonist? I don't mind so much it all flowed pretty well except for the hilarious end part where everyone's like "holy poo poo the world is doomed" and butterfly is just like "wait I wish for it to be not doomed" ROLL CREDITS

edit: god just mailed me thirty thousand dollars

g0lbez fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 1, 2014

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Grilox posted:

Elderwood Village, Plushling Village, Origin Island

Whut? You can unlock houses in those towns???

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I take it you can only buy a house in Al Majiik once you've done the quest there, or can you get one earlier?

I hate that fast-travelling doesn't open up until later on in an area. I just wish you could go to everywhere or at least the towns as soon as you got there the first time. Especially when you want to go turn in quests at Guild Masters. Oh, and it annoys me that you have to switch Lifes every time you want to report to someone else. Only minor things but it just feels like extra busywork.

dmboogie posted:

It's alright, you're only giving him a nap. A dirt nap. :unsmigghh: Also I accidentally smacked him in the rear end while trying to hit a road runner and he chased me away once. I felt bad about that. Really, I don't think you actually kill anything in this game, just knock them unconscious or whatever. Wait, no, then you steal their bits and cook them. Oh no, the player character is a monster. :ohdear:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Not far in, but please tell me I could get a frog as a pet? The frog in the animated cutscenes is the most :kimchi:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dmboogie posted:

You'll also have to if you want to become a legendary blacksmith since you're gonna need those dragon scales. Now what's really gonna make you feel like a monster is when you're hunting its babies for star clusters.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Nope, just plain old cats and dogs (and dragons with the DLC).

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

bubblelubble posted:

Nope, just plain old cats and dogs (and dragons with the DLC).

and birds.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's nice to know that if you disconnect while in multiplayer you don't lose all the stuff you gathered. Lost my connection after adventuring in the waterfall and lava caves and collecting ores, fish, and trees from the mountain. I was all worried at first, but then all the items were still in my inventory, so that's a relief.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eh, I guess it's a little bit better then, but still not great. I thought you were saying that when you cashed it in everyone automatically got a copy of the item in their inventory. It's better than the original I guess but still a pain in the rear end, especially since most bounty clerks are nowhere near the guild office.

Sorry to confuse, but no, the person turning in the bounty gets the money and the item, but the item is doubled when a second player is around. I always end my adventure at the guild office anyway, so we can exchange any items one or the other needs.

There's not much more to do in multiplayer besides hunt and gather, but it can still be a lot of fun.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Interesting thing you can do - if you get multiple bounties for different Lives (say, for instance, it's the first time you cut down a particular great tree, the first time you mine a large ore deposit, and you get an enemy bounty), you can drag the bounties to a guild, drop them by hitting b, and then turn them in one at a time after you change to the appropriate Life. Saves a lot of time and repeat trips if done properly.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

They changed the "God" rank to "Creator" in the US version.

Which means you can be a creator mercenary which seems a little strange but oh well.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Grilox posted:

They changed the "God" rank to "Creator" in the US version.

Which means you can be a creator mercenary which seems a little strange but oh well.

Mercenaries create corpses.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Man it is so easy to get stuck grinding every rank you can get out of an area before you remember to talk to the butterfly again. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but at least the crafting is easy enough.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there any reason I should care about raising the friendship of the tag a longs you can invite to your party from the different professions?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

katkillad2 posted:

Is there any reason I should care about raising the friendship of the tag a longs you can invite to your party from the different professions?

It allegedly makes them stronger. :shrug:

Multiplayer is great for helping a friend catch up to you or access places/vendors they can't yet. I just powerleveled my gf three ranks of Wizard in less than an hour and crafted her a bunch of furniture. :3:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dmboogie posted:

you have to kill its babies too, for a later paladin quest :D

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

g0lbez posted:

Just beat the game so is this the first game ever that literally has no final boss or even really an antagonist? I don't mind so much it all flowed pretty well except for the hilarious end part where everyone's like "holy poo poo the world is doomed" and butterfly is just like "wait I wish for it to be not doomed" ROLL CREDITS

edit: god just mailed me thirty thousand dollars

yeah the whole game has a very ghibli feel to it, i guess the guys who collaborated with them on ni no kuni rubbed off on them. no true villains, and even the small time villains (the two thug brothers, hughes, daemon, noellia) are only your enemies due to misunderstandings or silliness and turn out to be chill people. and the ending involves the whole world being buds together it's cute as hell. i like crazy evil baddies and everything but it's nice to have things like this now and then.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

wtf the US version has no bawwoon of wies or EVERYBODY DANCE NAO

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I hate whoever thought it was a good idea to have enemies aggro onto your bounties. I don't understand why that was even brought up, I leave the Ancient Ruins and get swarmed by bandits and if one of the crates gets so much as tapped RIP

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Anyone who is fifteen pages in and is still considering whether to get this game, get it. I've put so much time into it after playing it for just a couple of days. I started as an Angler, have raised that nearly to Master but am not going to finish that up until the story actually takes me to Al Majjik where I need to fulfill some Expert quests. For now I'm taking a side-tour to level up the other gathering Lives to a good level, up to the point where I'd have to head into the desert, starting with Mining. Gathering isn't even boring in this game, I love the tense but still silly music that plays when you hook a lordfish and have to catch it. Hearing that other gathering nodes do that too makes me want to go into those Lives even more.

It has something that Animal Crossing, a game which I picked up for 30 minutes then set down forever, never had. While there are a couple of quality-of-life things I wished were in the game while playing (all so small that the only one I remember is wishing enemies didn't aggro your bounties like mentioned above and that you couldn't damage your own bounties), I love the little details. Like if your counter pull as an angler would kill a fish instantly, instead of the struggling animation you just do a little flip to pull out the fish.

The only real problem with the game is the bullshit, day-one, on-cartridge DLC. It's seriously a two-block download that switches the expansion content from "off" to "on". It makes me a little less frustrated knowing that it was a legitimate expansion in the Japanese release, but seeing how much content the DLC adds combined with the fact that the game's two years old means that it should have really just been included with the game. That said, it's worth the price for such a good game.

I've already maxed out Focus but should I pump intelligence or luck first? Luck would give me better drops but I could use Int to branch into more jobs, like wizardry and alchemy. I wonder what'd be more worth it now. Even though I'm going into the gathering jobs, I'm sure the Int would help those out too, right?
(e: Nevermind, looking it up it looks like it helps the crafting classes more. I'll probably start pumping Luck.)

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 1, 2014

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

John Quixote posted:

I've already maxed out Focus but should I pump intelligence or luck first? Luck would give me better drops but I could use Int to branch into more jobs, like wizardry and alchemy. I wonder what'd be more worth it now. Even though I'm going into the gathering jobs, I'm sure the Int would help those out too, right?
(e: Nevermind, looking it up it looks like it helps the crafting classes more. I'll probably start pumping Luck.)

It really doesn't matter what you put points into as you can respect at any time post-plot, and you pretty much need to do that to suit each Life to do some of the Hero+ quests. How the stats affect each skill is listed here but you definitely need Strength for high-end Miner and Woodcutter.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

luck luck luck always luck, you can coast by on p low stats for everything else until post game when you get the respecs, but you will want those increased rare drops that lucks gives you, and the earlier the better.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I picked up this game on a recommendation from a friend, even though I'm not usually the sort who enjoys games with a lot of grinding.

I'm 25 hours in, have only messed around with 4 of the lives (Hunter, Miner, Blacksmith, Woodcutter), and even running back and forth looking for quest stuff, it's never once felt boring. I keep telling myself I'll try out a different life or move on with the story (I just started chapter 3 this morning), but then I'll look at my list of challenges and think, "oh, I have the stuff to knock a few of those out right now!" or look at quests and think "oh, I have that stuff/am near that spot/that will only take me a minute or two" so I'll try and finish off those challenges/quests... only to level up or pick up new quests along the way and decide to do those before moving on, lather, rinse, repeat. I only started chapter 3 because I'm starting to get a lot of challenges and quests that require stuff from the desert town and I'm hoping it'll unlock soon, but I have so many other lives to try out that it still may be a while before I actually get around to going there.

I don't know exactly what it is about the game, but it sure does have its charm.

And I get to go into battles with a pet kitty. :3:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
By the way, don't feel compelled to put off the story missions. There aren't any real roadblocks to progress, it's a fun little story, and you're not going to get a real benefit from grinding stuff. You do get some substantial benefits from finishing the story though, like access to most of the areas, respecs, and a few other things, so it's worth going through fairly early on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dirk the Average posted:

By the way, don't feel compelled to put off the story missions. There aren't any real roadblocks to progress, it's a fun little story, and you're not going to get a real benefit from grinding stuff. You do get some substantial benefits from finishing the story though, like access to most of the areas, respecs, and a few other things, so it's worth going through fairly early on.

I've been taking the story slow precisely because I don't want the whole world to be open because then I'd freeze up when trying to decide which of the 20 places I haven't visited to explore. Keeping Port Puerto locked allowed me to focus on actually being thorough about exploring Castele, and even then I've still only been to the top of Mt. Snowpeak once and have yet to set foot in the lava cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I've been taking the story slow precisely because I don't want the whole world to be open because then I'd freeze up when trying to decide which of the 20 places I haven't visited to explore. Keeping Port Puerto locked allowed me to focus on actually being thorough about exploring Castele, and even then I've still only been to the top of Mt. Snowpeak once and have yet to set foot in the lava cave.

It's probably worth opening up Puerto Porto and Al majk if only because the tier in gets kinda weird.

Tier 1 is bronze and 2 is iron which are both in Castele. Tier 3 is silver and in Porto. Tier 5 is Gold and in Al Majiik, Tier 6 is Platinum and is Sniwpeak.

After that it starts to get weird.

Oh and the big turtle dudes in the archipelago can drop a really good fishing rod. Tier 7 ish

• Locked thread