Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Meh, it sounds nice, but when reading the reviews on Steam, even the positive ones are saying to hold off until its basically not an EA title. I could probably see this being £5 again next Christmas when it's closer to being finished.

I might pick it up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Drifter posted:

That said, you absolutely need nice people if you play Payday. You cannot have fun without actual nice people. L4D you just run around and shoot things.
This isn't true though? L4D2 needs a pretty good knowledge of what is coming up in evewry section as otherwise you'll get absolutely destroyed, not at first but later sections are all like this. This is why if you start playing with strangers on the net you'll get yelled at, insulted, kicked and dropped all the time. The community is horrible. You really need good friends to even start enjoying the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

This isn't true though? L4D2 needs a pretty good knowledge of what is coming up in evewry section as otherwise you'll get absolutely destroyed, not at first but later sections are all like this. This is why if you start playing with strangers on the net you'll get yelled at, insulted, kicked and dropped all the time. The community is horrible. You really need good friends to even start enjoying the game.

Oh so L4D requires that you constantly respawn before being able to accomplish anything? Yeah, that's real fun. :jerkbag:

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

So Painkiller Black is $1, should I grab that or is there a "remastered" newer version? What's Hell and Damnation?

I bought black and Hell and damnation with all the dlcs, played a bit of black earlier and its really really fun. The shooting feels very good as are the music and sound effects. Superb value for $1.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

quote:

We are hopeful for an end of 2012/beginning of 2013 release.
I'm surprised they've gotten this far, being almost 2 years behind schedule.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kin posted:

Before the thread got derailed a few of us were left hanging wondering just what exactly this game is?

Is it a better X3? Is it like a modern freelancer?

So far its an unfinished thing that is kind of fun to build ships in. At least the last I played it which was admittedly a couple months ago.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

Oh so L4D requires that you constantly respawn before being able to accomplish anything? Yeah, that's real fun. :jerkbag:

No, it doesn't require that at all. Palpek is wrong about the community too: it's fine. Not great, but fine.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Eruonen posted:

No, it doesn't require that at all. Palpek is wrong about the community too: it's fine. Not great, but fine.
Maybe it depends on your luck. I had a miserable time with the community until goons from IRC played with me and taught me all the ropes. The game is really fun when people are nice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Says the guy who thinks Payday is more fun? It suffers from the same problems L4D does in almost equal measure. The thread title is literally "Don't play with random people".

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Deakul posted:

I'm seriously considering buying Diablo 3 w/ Reaper of Souls right now from a key seller for $48.21, has it ever been cheaper elsewhere and should I wait?
I had some fun with the starter edition and I'm just really, really itching for a hew ARPG to play since Torchlight 2 has no replayability past the one playthrough I did.

Whoops, got the rear end end of the last page.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Palpek posted:

Hell and Damnation (HD) is the remake but by a different studio. It's worse in design as they changed some levels, removed some bosses and tweaked it in the wrong way. It also doesn't include the official expansion and I'm not even sure it includes all the chapters from the main game. However it's way better visually and if you haven't played the original - it's actually still a good game. So if you like contemporary graphics more in your FPSes then get HD, if you want better gameplay, flow and overall a better game - get Black.

And I'll provide the opposite statement and say Hell and Damnation is now the definitive version.

While Painkiller was a great game it had some significant flaws, bad boss battles, a solid chunk of the best levels hidden behind hard mode, iffy balance, and several irredeemably terrible levels. The expansion was absolute poo poo outside of maybe 1-2 levels that had been finished beforehand, the rest basically functioned as slapdash proof of concepts they rushed out to cash in on Painkillers sudden success. It was a "we didn't add these to the main game because they weren't up to par" pack through and through.

Hell and Damnation takes out the worst of the boss battles, revamps them, and makes them actually fun to fight. It also added minor tweaks to all the levels to encourage classic Painkiller gameplay ( strafing and shooting ), over the weird sniper magic nonsense Black pushes on you after a certain point. They also added in two new weapons that both fit Painkiller to a T, unlike the weapons added in Black/the horrific sequels everyone should ignore.

It's only real problem at launch was it launched with half the levels of Black, but they since added back in the remaining levels as DLC ( with the company statement being the levels were originally terrible, and they needed extra time to make them acceptable, which was true. ), and then made up for the missing Black levels they couldn't fix by just making their own levels, which are on par with the better levels of Painkiller original.

Unless you care about the story of Painkiller, Hell and Damnation is literally the exact same game as Black, just better, and missing 2-3 levels you'd have considered bad when you played them in Black anyway. It's the same levels, same guns, and largely the same enemy placement, just with better design on some maps.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 1, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I felt Hell and Damnation was slower than the original and the levels felt more crowded with bigger enemies which made the game feel worse than the original. This made a big difference to me. It's abosultely personal taste though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Says the guy who thinks Payday is more fun? It suffers from the same problems L4D does in almost equal measure. The thread title is literally "Don't play with random people".

I never had to metagame in order to have fun and progress.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Does anyone around Advent/Christmas do a thread dedicated to the free games and free things for games that get given out? I missed most of them last year.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Deakul posted:

The game and expansion were $20 each directly from Blizzard last month, but who knows when / if they'll do another sale like that.

Diablo 3 is super good and its the best ARPG.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Deakul posted:

If you just want an ARPG try Van Helsing if you haven't already, it's good and currently on sale.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 1, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So what exactly is Assassin's Creed: Rogue? Is it another full-size assassins creed game that is coming out a month before Assassin's Creed: Unity?

Seems really weird from a business perspective.

edit: Also, is Kinetic Void any good? I'd love to hear more about it seeing as it's goon made.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kin posted:

Meh, it sounds nice, but when reading the reviews on Steam, even the positive ones are saying to hold off until its basically not an EA title. I could probably see this being £5 again next Christmas when it's closer to being finished.

I might pick it up then.

That's reasonable. I enjoy it, but I like tinkering and have a high tolerance for not-gameplay and ugly unfinished warts. If you want something a bit more solid, you're probably better off waiting until the game is that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Drunk Tomato posted:

The game and expansion were $20 each directly from Blizzard last month, but who knows when / if they'll do another sale like that.

Diablo 3 is super good and its the best ARPG.
Yeah, agreed. Blizzard will probably run a sale around Christmas if somebody can wait.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

So what exactly is Assassin's Creed: Rogue? Is it another full-size assassins creed game that is coming out a month before Assassin's Creed: Unity?

Seems really weird from a business perspective.

edit: Also, is Kinetic Void any good? I'd love to hear more about it seeing as it's goon made.

AC:Rogue is the last-gen version of Assassin's Creed, and presumably the last AC on the old consoles. It's running on the AC4 engine and will again feature extensive boating, Haythem Kenway, Adawale and some other characters from the AC3/4 era. You play as an Assassin turned Templar, so we finally get an in-depth look at the other side of that whole thing. It'll also be hitting PC eventually if that's more your bag, but I believe they said it would be early next year.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Palpek posted:

I felt Hell and Damnation was slower than the original and the levels felt more crowded with bigger enemies which made the game feel worse than the original. This made a big difference to me. It's abosultely personal taste though.

It also has some fun bugs like as you increase the FOV the range at which melee enemies can hit you increases. It's pretty silly bunnyhopping past a group of enemies then dying a second or two later.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crashbee posted:

If you just want an ARPG try Van Helsing if you haven't already, it's good and currently on sale.

Oh yeah, I actually have this but haven't tried playing it seriously yet.
Are any of the classes more fun to start out with? I played as the default Hunter class or whatever it was and it felt kind of boring and unsatisfying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Oh yeah, I actually have this but haven't tried playing it seriously yet.
Are any of the classes more fun to start out with? I played as the default Hunter class or whatever it was and it felt like of boring and unsatisfying.

I always tend to not play as the stereotypical proto-fighter. Try it as an engineer or wizard or whatever. I played it as a wizard dude and had a lot of fun. Van Helsing 2 was even better (more tightly composed) than VH1.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

AC:Rogue is the last-gen version of Assassin's Creed, and presumably the last AC on the old consoles. It's running on the AC4 engine and will again feature extensive boating, Haythem Kenway, Adawale and some other characters from the AC3/4 era. You play as an Assassin turned Templar, so we finally get an in-depth look at the other side of that whole thing. It'll also be hitting PC eventually if that's more your bag, but I believe they said it would be early next year.
Yeah, it's basically a sequel to Black Flag while Unity is back to the usual AC recipe. Rogue will also have a grenade launcher which is great because that was the part I loved about Revelations and wanted to see it back.

Also it was just announced yesterday that Unity will feature 'time anomalies' which will send the protagonist to the WW2 era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW_-exDp3CE

:laugh: Still it means being able to climb the Eiffel Tower so it's cool.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 1, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it's basically a sequel to Black Flag while Unity is back to the usual AC recipe. Rogue will also have a grenade launcher which is great because that was the part I loved about Revelations and wanted to see it back.

Also it was just announced yesterday that Unity will feature 'time anomalies' which will send the protagonist to the WW2 era.

I don't understand. if the simulation is crashing can't you just log out and reboot the system or something? Why all the hectic behavior? So weird.
You're a dude wearing a VR helmet, it's not like you can die.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Drifter posted:

I don't understand. if the simulation is crashing can't you just log out and reboot the system or something? Why all the hectic behavior? So weird.

Clearly you don't understand The Matrix-level bullshit storytelling.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Actually according to Revelations you totally can because computer magic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Something something the longer you animate a protagonist the more connected to him you become, get his skills irl while at the same time risking getting hurt during the simulation. At least that's what started happeing to Desmond in the end.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Drifter posted:

The Matrix

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Deakul posted:

I'm seriously considering buying Diablo 3 w/ Reaper of Souls right now from a key seller for $48.21, has it ever been cheaper elsewhere and should I wait?
I had some fun with the starter edition and I'm just really, really itching for a hew ARPG to play since Torchlight 2 has no replayability past the one playthrough I did.

I'm pretty sure it's been as low as $20 for the base game and $20 for the expansion (which is the current price for the expansion on Amazon -- but they have the base game for $30). I think it's worth it, having put a three figure number of hours into it, the exact amount of which I'm embarrassed to tally up between all my characters. All the recent patching has made the game really great, and the expansion added a tremendous amount of great content. If you liked the start edition I think you'd probably enjoy the rest of it, and the replayability is immense given the many viable endgame builds for the 6 character classes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Palpek posted:

L4D2[...] You really need good friends to even start enjoying the game.
You really, really do. I played through it with my best friends in the whole world and there were one or two stages in that game that had us at each others' throats. We're no slouches, either. I can't imagine what it would be like to play through with people less tight than that.

Personally, my main problem with the campaign is that there's such a huge gap between the difficulties. On Easy, pretty much everything does 1 damage to you. As soon as you step it up to Normal for a bit more of a challenge, though, scrub hordes get ramped up to something like 5 damage per hit. Even just that tiny jump takes the game from "insultingly easy" to "ugh, okay guys, for the twentieth loving time." (The peak difficulty sees you dying in five hits which, on a bad day, can happen in under as many seconds) When you're winning, it's fantastically fun. When you're on a losing streak, though, either from the RNG or because you aren't familiar enough with the map yet? That's some bad times.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

So now that they're ok with modern guns in Assassin Creed can we please get Wild West Assassin Creed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quest For Glory II posted:

So now that they're ok with modern guns in Assassin Creed can we please get Wild West Assassin Creed

There's even less to climb there than in the American Revolution though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I never had to metagame in order to have fun and progress.

You also didn't have jivjov, Baish or I reviving you every 5 minutes in L4D either :V

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rashomon posted:

Replaying Risk of Rain after this recent update, and this game is still awesome and hugely impressive for basically being made by two guys. The music is great, too. I really hope they do a Risk of Rain 2 with more levels, more items, and a somewhat more balanced progression of gameplay. (I feel like choosing your items should be the default, and unlocking new items for choice to be part of the progression, and the Artifact that is currently Command should do the opposite, randomizing items but opening up the whole pool to you). Also, without the 5x damage artifact the gameplay is a bit too slow. Other than that, this game rules.

I played three rounds last night (for the first time ever) and the game is intense in the best possible way. I only made it past the first teleporter once but it was really fun.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kragger99 posted:

You also didn't have jivjov, Baish or I reviving you every 5 minutes in L4D either :V

u fukn wot m8?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Kragger99 posted:

I always thought 'Most Downed' was its own badge of bravery. You gotta give to get one of those Purple Hearts.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - how easy it is to let time dull your memories. I am death threating you all. DEATH THREATING!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

There's even less to climb there than in the American Revolution though.

You climb through the TRENCHES. Duh.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Deakul posted:

For even cheaper options, IE free.
Marvel Heroes : (once the current patch finishes, adding Juggernaut) is fun, and 'easy'. Flashy, killing swarms of mooks.
Path of Exile : more involved, 'hardcore', unique spec system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

funkmeister posted:

For even cheaper options, IE free.
Marvel Heroes : (once the current patch finishes, adding Juggernaut) is fun, and 'easy'. Flashy, killing swarms of mooks.
Path of Exile : more involved, 'hardcore', unique spec system

Yeah, I tried both of these and I lost interest after a few hours playing each.

Caved and bought Diablo 3 w/ RoS, there goes my frivolous allowance for the month. :shepspends:

• Locked thread