Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Assassin's Creed IV was fantastic and I wrung every iota of gaming out of that.. Hopefully Unity is at the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I used to be this way before Assassin's Creed games. I did all the sidequests, got all the eagle vision points, got a shitload of flags, then I beat the game. I got to the credits and realized I could have gotten to these same credits hours of playtime ago and absolutely nothing would be different. Now I hate Assassins Creed 1, and the very idea of playing it again makes me sleepy.

AC1 was poo poo about sidequests but newer games (and also Watch Dogs) give at least a reason to do them in the form of a reward. I'm a sucker for story-based rewards, and Watch Dogs has audio logs that unlock when you do a lot of the extra stuff, so that's what's driving me.

priznat posted:

Assassin's Creed IV was fantastic and I wrung every iota of gaming out of that.. Hopefully Unity is at the same level.

My problem with AC4 was that the sidequests actually were more fun and well-developed than the main quest. The story gets really weird towards the end, and while there's a bunch of cool naval poo poo you do in sidequests I felt like an awful lot of the main quests boiled down to tail missions which I don't know anyone who really enjoyed.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Assassins Creed is the epitome of what I dislike about games in the modern era. Clearly a lot of effort goes into them and they aren't poor from a technical standpoint, but they keep getting churned out year after year because some easily satisfied Neanderthals out there lap them up. It baffles me.

The first one was reasonably exciting due to it being a new franchise but I can't get my head around why people keep playing them, much less actively seek them out or god forbid buy them at full price. They gave me a free copy of AC4 with the last graphics card I bought and it still seemed like a bad deal.

Sorry but I just despise that series, the games are so ordinary that their existence is offensive. Carry on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad rear end Cred is popular, even though I don't play them regularly. It proves to publishers that not everything has to be a drat FPS.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't enjoy playing Assassin's Creed at all but I wouldn't say I despise it. I despise Call of Duty for largely the same reasons though, and because whenever I tell anyone I like FPS I always get the same response of "Oh so you must be excited for the new Call of Duty!"

My problem with Assassin's Creed is the terrible gameplay, namely the abysmal "magnetic" context sensitive controls and the instant failing. Although I've heard they've improved on the latter, it still doesn't make up for the former, which is a staple to the series. I do like climbing the historical buildings and reading their associated text blurbs, since I'm a history nerd, but it's not worth the price of admission for me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Watch Dogs on Steam for $35... Y/N? Is it another lovely port?

For the record I really liked Watch_Dogs, but I can't lie...it ran like rear end. Constant micro stutters while driving fast (loading in textures?) made the game difficult to play.

My PC is not bad either. I can run BF4 with everything maxed (minus supersampling) with no framerate drop, ditto Shadows of Mordor. In fact, Watch_Dogs is the ONLY game I've had performance issues with on PC in the last year.

Oh, and the "unofficial" textures/graphics pack was broken with the last official patch.

I'd also say the multiplayer (which was arguably the best part) is likely dead but then I realized with this sale people are likely playing again for the first time.

Also, the story is extremely dumb and incoherent. You can tell it went through multiple revisions and they had to put extra sound bites to "try" to tie the whole thing together.

Despite my complaints, I had a good time.

Asscreed chat: I adore the Asscreed series, so I suppose I'm that neanderthal that buys them year after year. I even like the modern day storyline. What other AAA series lets you run around and experience historical settings that no other game has ever touched?

That said, I wouldn't mind if they went back to an every-other-year release schedule to ensure AC3 doesn't happen again. I remain cautiously optimistic about AC:Unity.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 31, 2014

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I loved rear end Creed IV. And by loved I mean I liked the bits where you were a pirate on the high seas. Sneaking behind someone, walking down to the 'game studio' lobby, actually anything that wasn't being a pirate felt like it was poorly done in comparison. The overarching story of that "modern guy whose ancestor knew where the plot device was" is unappealing at the best of times.

Additional disappointment: The pirates were voiced by terribad americans and canadians instead of the welshers they're supposed to be.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

walking down to the 'game studio' lobby

I only played about 4 hours in so I didn't see the conclusion of the whole modern-day aspect but it felt so horribly out of place. I agree that a game with a historical setting is a fantastic idea but what's the point of intermittently putting in 'current-day' sections in an effort to appear meta. That was just straight up dumb.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but is the 360 controller still the go to for a pc controller? Or has the xbox one controller passed it up?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Call of Duty and Halo killed the fast-paced, carry all weapons and eat medkits PC-oriented style FPS, that's reason enough for me to hate them. Could also care less about the AssCreed series. I've played them and they're kinda meh. :shrug:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

B-Mac posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but is the 360 controller still the go to for a pc controller? Or has the xbox one controller passed it up?

360 controller is the easiest option, but the most fully-featured option is getting a DualShock 4 and a minimicro-USB cable (and a bluetooth 4.0 adapter if you're feeling frisky), and using this program/drivers: http://ds4windows.com/

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 1, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can the touchpad on the DS4 be used for mouse input in Windows?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Can the touchpad on the DS4 be used for mouse input in Windows?
Yes.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

B-Mac posted:

The best thing for me is it just straight up works with no hassle and is supported by pretty much every current game out there that uses a controller, you plug it in and go. If you go wireless, it's apparently kinda hard to find a replacement receiver without buying a whole new kit though.

I bought a corded official 360 controller (there are tons of knockoffs out there, some of which are fine but the official one is pretty good quality) basically for Dark Souls and it's great for that and the handful of other games I need it for. I just grabbed one at Best Buy and had them price match Amazon so I didn't overpay ridiculously.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Coughing Hobo posted:

360 controller is the easiest option, but the most fully-featured option is getting a DualShock 4 and a mini-USB cable (and a bluetooth 4.0 adapter if you're feeling frisky), and using this program/drivers: http://ds4windows.com/

Slight correction: DS4 controllers use Micro-USB, not Mini-USB. (PS3 controllers used Mini.)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

macnbc posted:

Slight correction: DS4 controllers use Micro-USB, not Mini-USB. (PS3 controllers used Mini.)

Agh, I keep correcting myself in the wrong direction. Thanks.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I don't need anything too fancy so looks like I'll get the 360 controller if it is plug and play. Thanks everyone.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You might consider a Logitech controller if you have to buy something. They have better dpads and they are more compatible than 360 controllers if you also have older games that used the old controller standards. Might be cheaper too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ramagamma posted:

I only played about 4 hours in so I didn't see the conclusion of the whole modern-day aspect but it felt so horribly out of place. I agree that a game with a historical setting is a fantastic idea but what's the point of intermittently putting in 'current-day' sections in an effort to appear meta. That was just straight up dumb.

Assassins Creed would no lie be a much better series if it dropped all pretenses of a 'greater story'. No future bits, no aliens/first civ, just say its loving magic that does all that supposedly super science crap.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

rear end Creed's biggest problem is that 95% of the time the main story just gets in the way of the fun bits. There's a lot of talking about things and stuff, then there's those modern-day segments, and it all just gets in the way of what actually matters: stabbing, shooting, pirating, whatever. The fun bits get quarantined behind a bunch of stuff that is, at best, dull.

The pirating was fun in AC4. Walking down to the loving lobby was not. Stabbing dudes and exploring islands was fun. Having to go have a chat with your boss was not. So on and so forth. It's a shame, too, because if there's a game that I use to showcase exactly how a video game sequel should be made, it's AC2. That game took the original's formula, removed the tedium, added a lot of interesting stuff, and even had a decent story (although, again, the modern-day stuff was just dull). It wasn't a PERFECT game, by any means, but it was a strict improvement over, and evolution from, the original, which is what a sequel should be.

Unfortunately, Ubi then decided to cash in and make it a yearly series. I'm really hoping Unity is cool, simply because the setting has such incredible potential.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Assassins Creed would no lie be a much better series if it dropped all pretenses of a 'greater story'. No future bits, no aliens/first civ, just say its loving magic that does all that supposedly super science crap.

I think I'm one of the only people who actually likes the future story and keeps playing the series to find out what happens next. I still miss the Subject 16 puzzles from AC2 and Brotherhood.

Though I get it's not everyone's thing. I think AC4 hit the right balance with it.. with very few mandatory future sections, but quite a bit to discover if you chose to do so.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I love the Pirating cutscenes in Nassau.
A bunch of hard-headed chucklefucks ruining poo poo they touch out of sheer hubris.

That is some good AC4. I don't want some middle management boss rear end in a top hat with an agenda of his own shouting instructions at me through a phone. I might get enough of that later in life.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
After a brief (cough) multi-month delay from PC gaming due to playing thru Earth Defense Force 2025 with the Fencer on Hardcore skill, I'm about ready to go through the stack of FPS games sitting on my PC and prepare to play the solo campaigns.

Here's my list, and will probably play thru in this order. Did I leave any FPS's out that were decent from mid-2013 and later?

* Battlefield 4 (in progress, liking it so far);
* Collar Duty: Keizer Soze (i.e. Advanced Warfare). I have played all the earlier CODs;
* Metro 2023 Redux and Last Light Redux;
* Wolfenstein: The New Order (bought on Steam, read this was good).
* Duke Nukem: The Doctor Who Cloned Me (probably if there is nothing left to play)

I liked all the prior Call of Duty's so that lets you know where my standards are at.

Note I've blacklisted the Crytek games since their first Crysis game would not play on my multi-screen system due to graphical adapter issues through HDMI. I was simply trying to get the game to play thru HDMI on my projector, but the game kept crashing no matter what I tried. I found various postings on tech support forums of other people having the same issues. Due to the frustrating experience I'm not touching Crytek's products unless there is a very compelling reason.

In contrast I never had a single crash with Activision's COD ports, and the Battlefield 3 lock-ups were probably less than a handful.

But since then I have a newer system, and I'm now using an Nvidia GTX 780 (the previous card was ATI Radeon HD 5850), so perhaps Crytek's offerings these days are more friendly with multi-monitor, HDMI or the newer Display Adapter-port systems. But chances are I'll wait until Crytek's games are $5 each before risking any more technical issues with their products.

EDIT: Wow: what a snobbish thread this has become.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 2, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should probably play the Crysis games.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

nnnotime posted:

After a brief (cough) multi-month delay from PC gaming due to playing thru Earth Defense Force 2025 with the Fencer on Hardcore skill, I'm about ready to go through the stack of FPS games sitting on my PC and prepare to play the solo campaigns.

Here's my list, and will probably play thru in this order. Did I leave any FPS's out that were decent from mid-2013 and later?

* Collar Duty: Keizer Soze (i.e. Advanced Warfare). I have played all the earlier CODs;
* Duke Nukem: The Doctor Who Cloned Me (probably if there is nothing left to play)

I liked all the prior Call of Duty's so that lets you know where my standards are at.

Note I've blacklisted the Crytek games since their first Crysis game would not play on my multi-screen system due to graphical adapter issues through HDMI. I was simply trying to get the game to play thru HDMI on my projector, but the game kept crashing no matter what I tried. I found various postings on tech support forums of other people having the same issues. Due to the frustrating experience I'm not touching Crytek's products unless there is a very compelling reason.

In contrast I never had a single crash with Activision's COD ports, and the Battlefield 3 lock-ups were probably less than a handful.

But since then I have a newer system, and I'm now using an Nvidia GTX 780 (the previous card was ATI Radeon HD 5850), so perhaps Crytek's offerings these days are more friendly with multi-monitor, HDMI or the newer Display Adapter-port systems. But chances are I'll wait until Crytek's games are $5 each before risking any more technical issues with their products.

:goonsay:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I hear Ryse Son of Rome is getting a PC port soon. You should get that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you liked all CoD games up to now then it is a safe bet to say that for you any released FPS game is good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kalstrams posted:

If you liked all CoD games up to now then it is a safe bet to say that for you any released FPS game is good.

That's awesome, I was about to make almost exactly the same post as this. Sadly its not a joke. Despite this, there are a surprisingly large number of people that buy new Call of Duty games at full price just so they can play the singleplayer campaign.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Despite this, there are a surprisingly large number of people that buy new Call of Duty games at full price just so they can play the singleplayer campaign.
The last one, as far as I know, is in top selling games on Steam both with regular and deluxe editions. I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

macnbc posted:

I think I'm one of the only people who actually likes the future story and keeps playing the series to find out what happens next. I still miss the Subject 16 puzzles from AC2 and Brotherhood.

Though I get it's not everyone's thing. I think AC4 hit the right balance with it.. with very few mandatory future sections, but quite a bit to discover if you chose to do so.

I am a big fan of the AC series, and I liked the modern day stuff in most of them. Yet I still think they would be better without the modern-day mumbo jumbo. :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kalstrams posted:

The last one, as far as I know, is in top selling games on Steam both with regular and deluxe editions. I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Being honest, CoD games were fine until 2 and maybe CoD4 (basically 4 games if you count COD:UO). I admit I played a lot of mw2 and black ops on my 360 but then we had a dedicated group of goons specialized on making kids literally cry. :mmmhmm:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Being honest, CoD games were fine until 2 and maybe CoD4 (basically 4 games if you count COD:UO). I admit I played a lot of mw2 and black ops on my 360 but then we had a dedicated group of goons specialized on making kids literally cry. :mmmhmm:
CoD 1/2/4 were fine in my opinion as well, I just think that later on it went pretty bad quite quickly.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Call of Duty has been a great games franchise from the start and it wasn't until Black Ops that I started to feel they were milking it with yearly updates in the same way an Assassins Creed does. Advanced Warfare looks pretty cool though and I love the idea of improved player mobility which was the best thing about Titanfall so I'm very tempted to give this one a shot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nnnotime posted:

EDIT: Wow: what a snobbish thread this has become.

If you've already got Wolfenstein I would play that before anything else. It's just loving great fun. It should run pretty great on that 780 (I played it on a 770 and it was fine). It manages to stay entertaining throughout it's fairly long (for an FPS) playtime too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Assassins Creed is the epitome of what I dislike about games in the modern era. Clearly a lot of effort goes into them and they aren't poor from a technical standpoint, but they keep getting churned out year after year because some easily satisfied Neanderthals out there lap them up. It baffles me.

The first one was reasonably exciting due to it being a new franchise but I can't get my head around why people keep playing them, much less actively seek them out or god forbid buy them at full price. They gave me a free copy of AC4 with the last graphics card I bought and it still seemed like a bad deal.

Sorry but I just despise that series, the games are so ordinary that their existence is offensive. Carry on.

They're designed by committee is the problem. Sit through the credits sometime if you can set aside 20 minutes. There are like 800-1000 people working on an AC game. Teams focus on specific aspects and often have very little interaction with each other. So you get these over produced messes where one part feels really tight and unique then you have 1000 dumb collectathon/escort/etc bullshit busywork.

Ubisoft always seems to overshoot on story stuff too. Even AC2 suffers from this, its just way too damned long and has too much filler. What those games need is a producer who understands that sometimes less is more. Having a bunch of unique missions is more memorable and fun than 100 of the same 5 activities. It's ok to tell a simple story with good characters, you won't get killed on Metacritic if its 25 hours long instead of 50 so long as the quality is there.

The games keep selling though, never underestimate the power of marketing I guess.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 3, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Assassin's Creed was great until the part where you have to control a lovely cart with lovely physics with Leonardo which promptly turned me off from that game forever.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Are there any drivers for the DS4 that enable the headphone jack?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I enjoyed AC4 quite a bit and it's the first game from that series I ever played.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the go to mouse for someone who doesn't care about having more than four buttons and a scroll wheel these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really hope far cry 4 and the new assassin's creed aren't garbage PC ports this year.

Was Far Cry 3 bad? It ran fine for me on launch without any issues. Granted I never touched the multi but I never pinned Far Cry as a strong MP title.

• Locked thread