Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Eruonen posted:

I started playing yesterday and just picked two weapons that seemed cool since I don't like to worry about builds before even playing the game. Is there an option to respec later or isn't respeccing an issue in this game?

Respeccing isn't an issue, after the first few zones the game throws exp at you. You will also eventually want all the weapons to get at those sweet sweet passive abilities. Also, the first two zones are forgiving when it comes to builds, as long as you have some sort of resource builder and a consumer you will do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So I beat the Presenter. I kind of just threw the skill set I used to beat him together in desperation but I feel like asking if its any good or if it would just fail to anything else.

Since I was working off an edited version of my usual tank deck I didn't actually change the actives at all.
Escalation (for hate), Karma (for some healing, Crimson Theater (no idea why), Chaotic Pull (for impairs), Martial Spirit and Illusion (for tanking), Domino Effect (impair.)
Regeneration (for healing), Fluid Defense (didn't think to replace it), Perseverance (for healing), Master of Illusion (for dodging), Escalation (for killing faster), Pressure Point (for impairs), and finally Tipping the Scales (for healing when something is impaired)

The fight was kind of a slog, but I did it despite the entire area before his little place would kill me easily. For the record I usually have Paradigm Shift and Turbulence instead of Pressure Point and Tipping the Scales.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

xanthan posted:

So I beat the Presenter. I kind of just threw the skill set I used to beat him together in desperation but I feel like asking if its any good or if it would just fail to anything else.

Since I was working off an edited version of my usual tank deck I didn't actually change the actives at all.
Escalation (for hate), Karma (for some healing, Crimson Theater (no idea why), Chaotic Pull (for impairs), Martial Spirit and Illusion (for tanking), Domino Effect (impair.)
Regeneration (for healing), Fluid Defense (didn't think to replace it), Perseverance (for healing), Master of Illusion (for dodging), Escalation (for killing faster), Pressure Point (for impairs), and finally Tipping the Scales (for healing when something is impaired)

The fight was kind of a slog, but I did it despite the entire area before his little place would kill me easily. For the record I usually have Paradigm Shift and Turbulence instead of Pressure Point and Tipping the Scales.

What Ql are you gear with and what color?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

What Ql are you gear with and what color?

Veteran chaos focus and blade, so QL 10 blues with a green resilient and blue attuned glyphs.
QL7, 5, and 3 greens for major talismans.
QL 6 blue for the head.
6 and 3 greens on minor with the last being a QL 5 blue.

In the story I'm only up to Egypt. Also, drat I need to upgrade my stuff at some point.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
^^ If you do the issues, you'll net some pretty solid talismans for every slot. Last Train to Cairo awards a QL10 purple head, for example.

So I'm getting back into this. Are blood barriers good as a main support mechanic yet? Or should I still stick with fistols or leech healing?

The barriers thing kind of threw me every time because of how effective damage prevention was as a support mechanic in Anarchy Online. It worked there, Funcom, just let me do it the same way here.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 2, 2014

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

xanthan posted:

Veteran chaos focus and blade, so QL 10 blues with a green resilient and blue attuned glyphs.
QL 6 blue for the head.

In the story I'm only up to Egypt. Also, drat I need to upgrade my stuff at some point.
Make getting QL10 greens for all your talismans a priority. You can buy them off the Auction House pretty cheaply, or if you're in the Illuminati cabal there's some QL10 blues in the Cabal Bank that are free to a good home. Then you should be set to do the issues which will get you purple talismans, or else do elite dungeons, which will get you QL10 blues.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

xanthan posted:

QL 6 blue for the head.

Farm the nearest dungeon to go all blue asap or like other people said, get some green/blue QL 10 from the auction house.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I own TSW from Amazon and the Massive Edition on Steam is only $20 (link), which is cheaper than buying issues 5+6+7 standalone. If I buy it on Steam, can I just link it to my pre-existing account and get that DLC?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I think if you get the CD key from your Steam purchase and input it in your account page it should be okay.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So while I got this on sale months ago, didn't start installing it until today after someone I know mentioned getting it and I decided to start a new character with them. How bad an idea is it to go for one of the early starter decks? I know the OP mentions the decks being generally awful, but those look relatively cheap compared to the faction decks, which seem like they'd take forever for you to actually fill out, and I kind of like one or two of the costumes.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
As a Steam purchaser I can verify that you are given the keys separately, but when I put it in I still seemed to be forced to link it to my Steam account when I used the massive edition key.

Only saying "seemed" because I didn't care enough to see if there was a way to skip that step.

Roland Jones posted:

So while I got this on sale months ago, didn't start installing it until today after someone I know mentioned getting it and I decided to start a new character with them. How bad an idea is it to go for one of the early starter decks? I know the OP mentions the decks being generally awful, but those look relatively cheap compared to the faction decks, which seem like they'd take forever for you to actually fill out, and I kind of like one or two of the costumes.

I've been taking the "I'll play however the gently caress I want" and it's worked out pretty good so far. Who cares if decks aren't "good" if it means getting a nice outfit, right?

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 2, 2014

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Roland Jones posted:

The starter decks work pretty well until Blue Mountain, which is where the game really takes the gloves off. I was using the Fist/Blood build for a while and started to sort of build off of it at the end of Savage Coast and early into Blue Mountain. I guess they work well enough as a sort of early template, but don't really adhere to them strictly.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Roland Jones posted:

I wouldn't worry about the starter decks too much, they are mostly pretty poo poo. The only good thing about them is that they give new players goals and have clothing rewards. You'll have to rethink your deck every few zones. I would suggest going towards a few healing passives like lick the wounds and circulation. They come in handy for almost any deck.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, thanks for the advice. Looking at it a bit more, the starter deck I'm looking at uses both weapons I think I want anyway (definitely one, possibly the other though I'm considering one or two other possibilities there), and since you need all the inner-tier abilities to get the outer ones I'd be getting all this stuff eventually even if I didn't want to complete the deck. So that's convenient.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Anyone want to trade Parcels for the Achievement?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
So how does subscribing work now?

I havent played in forever since like that first DLC after it went F2P but at the time I was subscribed so I got it for free at the time but I had a friend that just bought the game on a steam sale so I redownloaded and popped back in...

if I resub will I have access to all the DLC while my sub is active, or just the ones that where released when I had a subscription ?

Also can someone post an AR leech build and maybe some random build that can solo the normal mode dungeons so I can show my friend around?

I have a mix of QL10 blues and the base epics but I dont think I ever got around to upgrading them. I got bored shortly after beating the gatekeeper.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hi posted:

Also can someone post an AR leech build and maybe some random build that can solo the normal mode dungeons so I can show my friend around?

http://www.tswdb.com/builds/dungeon-healer/the-reaper/

I don't think you can solo normal-mode dungeons (except maybe Polaris), but you can leech pretty well with this one.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Hi posted:

So how does subscribing work now?

I havent played in forever since like that first DLC after it went F2P but at the time I was subscribed so I got it for free at the time but I had a friend that just bought the game on a steam sale so I redownloaded and popped back in...

if I resub will I have access to all the DLC while my sub is active, or just the ones that where released when I had a subscription ?

I have a mix of QL10 blues and the base epics but I dont think I ever got around to upgrading them. I got bored shortly after beating the gatekeeper.

Subscription gets you 10 dollars towards item shop stuff, 10 veteran points to buy veteran stuff, a thing that gives you 100% more XP from monster kills for an hour a day, an item of the month and a 10% item shop discount. You'll have to pony up the cash for the DLCs, only the first one was free and I think that wasa just for people who owned the game before a certain date.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

I see, any of them particularly fantastic and must have?

the first one was pretty decent but I dont know how much money Im willing to drop on a game Ive already played thru just to keep myself occupied while my friend plays it

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pesterchum posted:

Subscription gets you 10 dollars towards item shop stuff, 10 veteran points to buy veteran stuff, a thing that gives you 100% more XP from monster kills for an hour a day, an item of the month and a 10% item shop discount. You'll have to pony up the cash for the DLCs, only the first one was free and I think that wasa just for people who owned the game before a certain date.

For the record the subscription credit can be used towards the DLC.

My understanding when they switched to the current model is that the subscription would pay for the DLC in the months it came out, and you can get item shop stuff on the (many) months without any new content.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Hi posted:

I see, any of them particularly fantastic and must have?

the first one was pretty decent but I dont know how much money Im willing to drop on a game Ive already played thru just to keep myself occupied while my friend plays it

If you're inclined to pick any up I enjoyed Issue 6 and 7, I'd avoid 8. Issue 6 has more Nassir so it was definitely worth it to me and culminates with a fight on a moving train. I haven't played since before they added issue 9, so I can't vouch for how good it or any of the 'side mission' DLCs that add some investigations are.

Pesterchum fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 4, 2014

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Pesterchum posted:

a thing that gives you 100% more XP from monster kills for an hour a day,

That will teach me to not check what's under claim items.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Ok sounds good, so I guess the last question is... whats AEGIS ? I dont remember that being around when I left and it seems super prevelant now with no real explanation

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's a new parallel-progression gate mechanic that was introduced with Tokyo. All Tokyo enemies have shields (red, purple, blue) that you have to first whittle down with your AEGIS items before you can inflict actual damage to them. You get AEGIS stuff pretty much for just walking in to Tokyo, so don't sweat it until you're actually there.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It comes with the added benefit of being typed in all caps so it feels like you're randomly shouting words in chat and posts.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

What is the best way to make money outside of doing issue 8 and selling blue+ augments and/or amplifier kits? I run issues 5-7 for the blue signets, but haven't seen one Laceration or Abuse yet because gently caress RNG, and I make slow steady money from running NMs. I have no idea how to get the capital to even play on the same field as the folks who are selling augments for millions a pop though, barring actually doing scenarios.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

revenance posted:

What is the best way to make money outside of doing issue 8 and selling blue+ augments and/or amplifier kits? I run issues 5-7 for the blue signets, but haven't seen one Laceration or Abuse yet because gently caress RNG, and I make slow steady money from running NMs. I have no idea how to get the capital to even play on the same field as the folks who are selling augments for millions a pop though, barring actually doing scenarios.

You can also sell green signets and make decent money. Don't overlook the smaller but more frequent payouts.

I wish I could make money doing NMs -- I consider it a win if I'm not too much poorer after the repair bills.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Once upon a time, you could sell unopened blue signet bags on the AH. Is this still a valid option

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

Once upon a time, you could sell unopened blue signet bags on the AH. Is this still a valid option

Yes, but at some point between issues 5 and 8, the prices dropped to the point that it's *not* unquestionably better to just sell the bags. It's personal preference now, unless the price has shifted in the last few months.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The Broadcast was short and fairly fun. I like the spooky stuff they did in it and the bonus achievement from the bossfight was super easy to pull off as a reaper. I've just got to actually stop doing issue 7 and do all the Spooky Stories to round out the seasonal achievements as I've literally never actively played during the Samhain events before.

I swapped Anima Burst out for Hip Fire to maintain high resources for both of my weapons, and I'm finding myself actually using Fist abilities now and my overall DPS and healing efficacy is crazy high compared to what it used to be. Why do healing builders still only generate one resource? At this point it feels archaic and kind of dumb.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A friend (also a goon) and myself have been playing this game a lot. Are the goon canals still active? If so, do we need to be on the same server as the cabal to join it? Sorry if this info is listed on the site. I did look but didn't find any answers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eruonen posted:

A friend (also a goon) and myself have been playing this game a lot. Are the goon canals still active? If so, do we need to be on the same server as the cabal to join it? Sorry if this info is listed on the site. I did look but didn't find any answers.

No and no. There's not really any active goons anymore and server doesn't matter for anything except PvP.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I just bought this and am looking to get into it soon myself so potentially count me in for something.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

I play pretty much daily and have been leveling an alt on another account for reasons as yet unknown to me (took advantage of the Steam sale so I could integrate TSW onto Steam -- brilliant plan), so feel free to add Thuraya and you can mooch free stuff from normal dungeons that I solo.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

revenance posted:

I play pretty much daily and have been leveling an alt on another account for reasons as yet unknown to me (took advantage of the Steam sale so I could integrate TSW onto Steam -- brilliant plan), so feel free to add Thuraya and you can mooch free stuff from normal dungeons that I solo.

If you like the PvP outfits, and want to cheese them into your wardrobe, you can shoot (and stab, bludgeon, blood, electrocute, burn and explode!) your alt in the fight club..for profit!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

If I own Issue 9, is it possible to Meet Up to Kaidan to get the radio there? Or must I actually get the main quest line to the point where I can go there under my own steam?

I know I should, it's more a question of whether I absolutely have to, right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

doomfunk posted:

Or must I actually get the main quest line to the point where I can go there under my own steam?

Yes. There's like three or four quests plus the issue 8 busy work that lead into Tokyo. Don't be like the pubbies in #event that kept going "dude why aren't you accepting my meet up?" Funcom won't let you in without doing the busywork.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Alright, I figured that would be the case. I will do that, then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I finally did Halloween 2014. It's uh...not really all that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

So I finally did Halloween 2014. It's uh...not really all that great.

Bummer. I was thinking of loading it up tonight too.

• Locked thread