Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

See, that one I don't buy, because we all know that not only would the Jeep 4.0 continue to run on sand, it would probably thrive.

You'd be trying to chip diamond out of the cat. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Liquid Communism posted:

You'd be trying to chip diamond out of the cat. :swoon:

Diamond is a crystalline form of carbon; sand is silicon dioxide, for the most part. :science:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:ssh: we're performing some alchemic transformations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Wait, those things don't just run on gravity?

The ones I've used get hooked up to air when you want to empty them (so you don't have to pick up the entire waste oil bin to get it somewhere above floor level). The air just pushes the oil out of a low side hose on the waste tank. Or blows up all over if you don't close valves.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Crappy terrible car stuff cell pics incoming!

One of my favorites

And with the winter season coming, I expect to see a lot more of this:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Crappy terrible car stuff cell pics incoming!

One of my favorites

Just a long, straight, low-speed residential roa--AH gently caress!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

Just a long, straight, low-speed residential roa--AH gently caress!

Pretty sure they were being a douche and trying to "flex" on that tree.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

The ones I've used get hooked up to air when you want to empty them (so you don't have to pick up the entire waste oil bin to get it somewhere above floor level). The air just pushes the oil out of a low side hose on the waste tank. Or blows up all over if you don't close valves.

At my old job we had a big pneumatic vacuum pump, sucked the oil out a valve on the bottom. Maybe not as effective as positive pressure, but a hell of a lot more idiot-proof.

Of course they could still overflow when newbies didn't empty them often enough; one guy had the pan section extended fully upward, and filled it so high it started filling the pan. He decided now would be a good time to drain it, so naturally he shoves the pan to its lowest position (so he can get it out from under the car,) causing all the oil in the ~3 foot pipe to backflow and spray all over the ground. :mmmhmm:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

Dammit, don't you hate it when these things overflow? Bloody apprentice didn't empty it this week.

Oh wait, no, he was emptying it, he just didn't close off the valves properly :v:

That looks like a robot-murder crime scene.

CONTENT:

I had an contractor apprentice (we had some contractors, for when there were just too many airplanes for our two-man night shift MX crews to handle) for a time while I was an airline mechanic. He was a pretty good kid, but the kind who would nod his head and parrot back what you told him to do, but not actually absorb any of the information you were trying to pass. We had an airplane come in, and the two of us started the daily inspection as the ground handlers chocked it up and got the ground power going. I told him to do the visual inspection, check the tires and brakes, and then check the engine oil levels and CSD oil levels, while I sat in the truck reviewed the logbook with the flightcrew.

For anyone not aware, most civil jet engines use a dry sump oiling system, with scavenge pumps at various points longitudinally along the engine. The CF6-50 has a compressor scavenge pump (mounted at the front compressor bearing,) a gearbox scavenge pump, a front turbine scavenge pump, and an aft turbine scavenge pump. The outputs all head through the oil cooler, to the main oil tank, which has a dipstick attached to the service cap. The tank is pressurized, to prevent the oil from foaming, at altitude.

So, he'd been working with me for about a week, and we'd done a decent number of basic maintenance functions, changing tires, brakes, that sort of thing. It was his first night on the line with our airline, and I don't think he had ever really been around big jets operationally. He'd worked at his repair station for a year or so, and was just starting out on the line. The kid gets out, and makes a beeline to the #1 engine, which, although shut down, is still spinning pretty fast; Fast enough that the core is rotating, and not just the fan. He walks directly over to the oil service door, opens it, and turns the cap.

I was standing by the air-stair, maybe thirty or forty feet away when I hear "OH gently caress," and an odd spraying noise, and then the soft pattering of aerosolized MobilJet hitting the ramp. Luckily, he had been distracted by something at the last moment, and had turned his body out of the way of the stream. It shot out about three-quarters of the way to the wingtip, probably thirty feet, and managed to not hit him at all. He was extremely lucky to not end up in the hospital that night. We ended up having to add nearly six quarts of oil to a system with a nominal capacity of twelve quarts. :v:

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 31, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This might not be the right thread, but can you please explain the purpose of a gearbox on a jet engine? I understand how jets work, and I don't see where the gearbox would go or what purpose it would serve.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Reduction gear for the fan?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

This might not be the right thread, but can you please explain the purpose of a gearbox on a jet engine? I understand how jets work, and I don't see where the gearbox would go or what purpose it would serve.

Gearing between the turbine shafts and other accessory equipment (generators, oil pumps, hydraulic pumps, etc.), just like what you wouldn't drive directly off the crankshaft of a car engine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

Reduction gear for the fan?

Geared fans are a thing, but are pretty uncommon, still.

The gearbox is to drive accessories. Oil pumps, engine-driven hydraulic pumps, fuel pumps, electrical generators, etc. It's also generally where the engine starter is located.

Electrical generation on bigger engines is generally done through a Constant Speed Drive (a separate unit that the generator bolts to,) or an Integrated Drive Generator (a generator with an integrated CSD,) since you're turning an AC generator, and want to maintain a constant 400hz over the entire operating speed range of the engine.

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax
Apparently there's a 2nd generation Firebird under...all that :/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Geared fans are a thing, but are pretty uncommon, still.

The gearbox is to drive accessories. Oil pumps, engine-driven hydraulic pumps, fuel pumps, electrical generators, etc. It's also generally where the engine starter is located.

Electrical generation on bigger engines is generally done through a Constant Speed Drive (a separate unit that the generator bolts to,) or an Integrated Drive Generator (a generator with an integrated CSD,) since you're turning an AC generator, and want to maintain a constant 400hz over the entire operating speed range of the engine.

The 400hz thing is that awful whine that's just below A440 if you use the in-flight entertainment, right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The 400hz thing is that awful whine that's just below A440 if you use the in-flight entertainment, right?

Probably. Aircraft use 120vac @ 400hz, instead of 50 or 60hz. Poorly isolated components (and there's always something) introduce a 400hz tone into almost any audio system, including the comm radios.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SD-455 posted:

front overhang is about right...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SD-455 posted:

No yak bone. No sale. :colbert:

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
This fiero corvair turd been posted yet?

917 Porsche?
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4712792746.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What the gently caress ford, i thought we were done with this poo poo (this was a 2013-2014)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

What the gently caress ford, i thought we were done with this poo poo (this was a 2013-2014)

?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

7 lug wheels.

Seemingly the only vehicle on the planet that uses them.

I got out of the truck and immediately started staring at it because my brain knew there was something wrong with it, but couldn't immediately figure out what it was.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 1, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What was ever the reasoning behind that? Like, ever. Why are six not enough.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That reminds me, the other day I noticed the first-gen CTS-V has 6 lug wheels. I never knew passenger cars used 6 lugs. The Smart on the other hand uses 3.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CharlesM posted:

That reminds me, the other day I noticed the first-gen CTS-V has 6 lug wheels. I never knew passenger cars used 6 lugs. The Smart on the other hand uses 3.

The Viper also uses 6-lug wheels.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Slavvy posted:

What was ever the reasoning behind that? Like, ever. Why are six not enough.

I believe it's leftover from a wheel lug dick measuring contest between Ford and Chevy that went on back in the fifties and sixties. There were a lot of ads with copy like, "The only light truck with five lugs." and "The class leader, now with six lug wheel." Also, in general, the American truck buying demographic is dumb and gullible and has tiny wieners.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I believe it's leftover from a wheel lug dick measuring contest between Ford and Chevy that went on back in the fifties and sixties. There were a lot of ads with copy like, "The only light truck with five lugs." and "The class leader, now with six lug wheel." Also, in general, the American truck buying demographic is dumb and gullible and has tiny wieners.

Unless they actually have a legitimate use for said truck that's not merely :jerkbag: and lookitmahtruk.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Unless they actually have a legitimate use for said truck that's not merely :jerkbag: and lookitmahtruk.

Dude, that's a half-ton pickup. There is no legitimate use for a vehicle in that class that would require 7 lugs to keep the wheel on that wouldn't also snap the frame.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It's definitely the latter. My parents' Silverado 2500 duallie has 10 lug wheels (think school bus or semi truck) and marker lights on top of the cab so you can pretend you're driving a big-rig like a real man.

(To be completely fair to them, my parents are actual semi truckers, though that's possibly more mystifying as to why they needed a cosplay truck for at home.)

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's definitely the latter. My parents' Silverado 2500 duallie has 10 lug wheels (think school bus or semi truck) and marker lights on top of the cab so you can pretend you're driving a big-rig like a real man.

(To be completely fair to them, my parents are actual semi truckers, though that's possibly more mystifying as to why they needed a cosplay truck for at home.)

While dualies are terrible truck stuff, the fact that they're on the truck make the marker lights required equipment according to some DOT standard because they cause the truck to exceed an arbitrary width.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

While dualies are terrible truck stuff, the fact that they're on the truck make the marker lights required equipment according to some DOT standard because they cause the truck to exceed an arbitrary width.

Yeah. That's why the raptor has marker lights beneath the headlights and tail lights.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The 1994 dodge 2500 (gas engine) I bought for parts had factory clearance lights and the dual rear wheels are probably because they got the heavy suspension/heavy towing package. If the 10 lug wheels were factory, they were probably for a similar reason. So unless they put the wheel adaptors on, calm down... also they are probably the smaller 10 lug pattern that 4500s/some 3500s/etc use, not the 10x11.25 pattern that semi trucks use.

E: On the other hand 7 lugs is just stupid and ford can get hosed. 6 or 8, assholes, there is no reason for 7.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 1, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

While dualies are terrible truck stuff,

Can you explain why duallies are "terrible truck stuff"?

I'm going to guess you've never towed much of anything. Because duallies are loving marvelous for that (you know, what they were designed for).

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Motronic posted:

I'm going to guess you've never towed much of anything. Because duallies are loving marvelous for that (you know, what they were designed for).

I wondered about that too but I think he meant it as his parents didnt need them and that was the terrible part.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, it was pretty awesome when I had mine. It made choices of aftermarket wheels really really simple. :v:

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
I had heard of these type of places existing in large cities, but Neenah, Wisconsin has one now? Also, in pictures not shown is a repo man with a truck and blocks taking the 22's off a Chevy Trailblazer.

*EDIT* I guess the Something Awful app on my iPhone didn't save the picture rotation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

If you're driving a DRW as a DD it's terrible truck stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

What exactly are you towing? I've never seen a trailer too big for a landcruiser/safari type vehicle. That includes some truly gigantic boat trailers, top fuel dragster trailers, small aircraft trailers.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Slavvy posted:

What exactly are you towing? I've never seen a trailer too big for a landcruiser/safari type vehicle. That includes some truly gigantic boat trailers, top fuel dragster trailers, small aircraft trailers.

Farm/construction equipment easily gets well above 15,000lbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Motronic posted:

In my semi-urban centered lifestyle, I've never encountered dualies on anything other than brotruks. I know that they're preferable for heavy towing once you get up into the fifth wheel weight class but I've not seen them used for anything of the sort