Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They go by how satisfying food is to what they'll eat first and give no thought to distance. Unfortunately prepackaged is their favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Opal posted:

I'm sure I saw my colonists defend themselves automatically on my first run-through but maybe not. I'll try the draft thing instead. What also worked was assigning them as hunters and marking just the one squirrel or whatever.

Related to food, why won't my colonists eat simple meals? They insist on tracking halfway across the map for prepackaged meals instead.

They seem to go for "Quality" over distance, and pre-packaged meals are higher than even fine meals. Got 50 fine meals right here? Too bad, going for that piece of crap prepackaged dinner that just happens to be in the middle of all the pirates on the edge of the map.

The solution is just to forbid them.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah if you want to gather survival meals, you basically need to force assign hauling on them by necessity to keep idiots from running out to grab one when they need food. And then eating it on the ground, forcing the mood hit.

I just leave them forbidden until I get a food crisis. Animals will eat them so it keeps the population up for your hunter(s).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Opal posted:

I'm sure I saw my colonists defend themselves automatically on my first run-through but maybe not. I'll try the draft thing instead. What also worked was assigning them as hunters and marking just the one squirrel or whatever.

I'm not sure if it depends on the characters stats or traits or anything, but yeah, people won't reliably defend themselves unless you draft them, which basically puts them into XCOM combat mode. Sometimes a colonist will take a pot shot at some baddies while trying to do something else, but in my experience, usually not until they've been shot or shot at.

Maybe I'm weird, but I always unforbid all the materials when the game first starts, and have a dedicated hauler just bring stuff to my stockpile. After three or four days they usually get everything. I also almost always go through all the survival meals when I get my kitchen up and running, so maybe I just start off slowly.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Your map quickly becomes a sea of survival meals when you start getting sieges every 10 minutes or so.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
And bodies.

Oh right, same thing.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Skaw posted:

Animals will eat them so it keeps the population up for your hunter(s).

Do they really? I had a herd of deer trapped between some hills and a fence but they never multiplied, should I have set up a food stockpile for them?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I don't know if this was mentioned before or not, but for anyone who is annoyed by having to constantly choose a material each time you select a wall, the bottom option in the interface settings changes it so you have to right click it to bring the material menu up. Saves a bunch of clicking.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

nightwisher posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned before or not, but for anyone who is annoyed by having to constantly choose a material each time you select a wall, the bottom option in the interface settings changes it so you have to right click it to bring the material menu up. Saves a bunch of clicking.

I'm pretty sure this is only a feature of the EdB interface mod. But still, definitely good to know, and everyone should be using that mod anyways.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 1, 2014

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Koobze posted:

Do they really? I had a herd of deer trapped between some hills and a fence but they never multiplied, should I have set up a food stockpile for them?

No, they don't multiply, but they do starve to death if they can't find food(grown grass counts.) Some animal types will eat meals. I know Iguanas do.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 1, 2014

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Meals are considered food for the purposes of animal survival. If your animals starve, they'll get replaced by migrant animals, that will also starve and be replaced. It's how you get food in the desert.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, one of my colonists suffers from starvation, even though there's both simple and fine meals lying (unforbidden) in a stockpile near her, and she's just idling - what's wrong?

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

nightwisher posted:

Didnt know this, thansk a lot dude

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Tias posted:

So, one of my colonists suffers from starvation, even though there's both simple and fine meals lying (unforbidden) in a stockpile near her, and she's just idling - what's wrong?

I've encountered this bug - they gather food to eat and they don't eat it. Save and reload on the spot, and it'll reset their behaviour.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Tias posted:

Check her health tab, and see if there's any injury there that interfere with eating. I had that happen once: there had been a minor skirmish, and one colonist got shot once. He quickly healed and went back to work, but a day later I get a starvation notice. Turns out the gunshot had destroyed his stomach, so he was fully healed but couldn't eat.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That calls for emergency surgery!

To harvest those precious organs before he goes off. :v:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think getting your jaw shot off makes you unable to eat as well.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Alternatively, is she drafted? :v:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Sometimes I find drafting and then undrafting helps make them do what's best for them.

I've been trying the Minami mod and got attacked by a pair of Tuskbeasts (big Yeti type things), though I don't know if that's a feature of the mod or something in the base game. Aside from being massive bullet sponges, they randomly destroy stuff, including bodies apparently, as they disinterred one of my colonists from their grave, scattering human meat and leather everywhere (despite the fact I'm pretty sure the corpse was skeletal). I eventually got tired of seeing the meat just sitting there with a big X over it, so I thought, eh whatever, and hauled it to my stockpile where my cook immediately mixed it into the morning's slop. Yes, I cooked the meat from an old disinterred corpse and fed it to my beleagured colonists. The braindamaged one cried when she realized what she'd eaten and was on the verge of a mental break, so I decided to soothe her with some anaesthetic and then harvested her kidneys.

I think this game has gone beyond Dwarf Fortress levels of :psydwarf: for me.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

That calls for emergency surgery!

To harvest those precious organs before he goes off. :v:

You could also, just, give them dentures. Don't even think they use anything other than medicine.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Alternatively, is she drafted? :v:

I both loaded and reloaded, and drafted and undrafted her, but her stubborn rear end starved to death. I did not check whether she was injured in the jaw or stomach, but I don't recall her fighting anything. Ah, the show must go on, ere the muffalo roam :black101:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
It took me at least a hundred rerolls but I finally gen'ed a planet with a mountain next to a coast. This is the result:

I am going to build SUCH a loving colony in that bay :getin:

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

nightwisher posted:

It took me at least a hundred rerolls but I finally gen'ed a planet with a mountain next to a coast. This is the result:

I am going to build SUCH a loving colony in that bay :getin:

I did not even realize that was possible. That's awesome. Sucks that the plasteel deposit is across untraversible deep water, though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

For now, perhaps - The way this is going, I fully expect a droid-boat built from the bones (and powered by the brains!) of my undesirable captives to scoop that poo poo out in two months or less!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm having a great time with this game. Having the Minami mod and the Enhanced Defenses mod really makes it more challenging. Although once you find a good defense point it's hard to dislodge you.

The results from the last pirate raid on my base

And a quick cap of most of my base as it stands. This map was graced with a crap ton of Plasteel and I keep finding more.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I love this game but there's something really odd about hit calculations. If you watch a couple of people having a shootout, when there's a critter like a squirrel in between them, it'll almost always get hit. It's really uncanny and I've seen it happen way too often to be accidental. No big deal but I like the idea that the shots are all calculated properly and I'm sure there's some hackery going on.

In actual news it seems that Tynan is starting on making the art skill actually work, with a sculpture bench and art installations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rapacity posted:

I love this game but there's something really odd about hit calculations. If you watch a couple of people having a shootout, when there's a critter like a squirrel in between them, it'll almost always get hit. It's really uncanny and I've seen it happen way too often to be accidental. No big deal but I like the idea that the shots are all calculated properly and I'm sure there's some hackery going on.

In actual news it seems that Tynan is starting on making the art skill actually work, with a sculpture bench and art installations.

Also lots of wonderful news about temperature mechanics.

The game uses something like a real physical simulation of bullets, if something is in the way of the bullet, it will get hit.

This is also why your colonists will get shot a lot more often than the probabilities would suggest if they're in super good cover, because even though the enemy has a 1% chance to hit, there are only so many places for the bullet to go, so they can still hit you by accident.

To hit percentages are more indicative of a colonist's ability to hit what they are intending to hit, not their ability to hit things overall.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I think what he meant was that even if a colonist only hits an intended target 30% of the time at a given distance they will almost consistently hit whatever happens to stand in between which seems a bit unlikely. I want to say I've had a similar experience with friendly fire.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just started this game and trying ti figure out the UI. If I want to trade, how do I move silver from my indoor storage to my outdoor beacon? When I click on a colonist and then right click on the silver I get "No configured place to store it"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lockback posted:

Just started this game and trying ti figure out the UI. If I want to trade, how do I move silver from my indoor storage to my outdoor beacon? When I click on a colonist and then right click on the silver I get "No configured place to store it"

You need a stockpile there set to store it, and the stockpile needs a higher priority than whatever stockpile the silver is in or disallow silver in the old stockpile

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bondematt posted:

You need a stockpile there set to store it, and the stockpile needs a higher priority than whatever stockpile the silver is in or disallow silver in the old stockpile

Ah, thanks. I was wondering if you had to do something like that, but it seemed like an obtuse way to set something available for trading.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Opal posted:

I think what he meant was that even if a colonist only hits an intended target 30% of the time at a given distance they will almost consistently hit whatever happens to stand in between which seems a bit unlikely. I want to say I've had a similar experience with friendly fire.

Draw a cone between your colonist and the target they're aiming for. Their hit rate is basically the chances that they'll hit within that cone and penetrate cover. The things between your colonists and their targets tend to be animals with no armour out of cover, which means that if a bullet passes through them they're probably hit. And additionally the thing they hit accidentally is closer, so there's less chance of the bullet managing to go around them if they're in the line of fire. You try hitting a target when something runs in front of you sometime, it's pretty loving hard not to shoot whatever jumped out in front of you.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Well, it turns out deconstructing rooms causes them to collapse, no matter how small they are. I just lost two of my starting colonists.

Maybe I can salvage this.

edit:

A single raider came and shot him up a bunch. Then the walls shorted out and exploded, causing a huge fire that almost reached him. I don't think he'll live.

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 9, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So how complete is this game? Obviously I don't expect a dwarf fortress level of detail, but how far along has it come? I am waiting to play until a good chunk of it is in.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Diogines posted:

So how complete is this game? Obviously I don't expect a dwarf fortress level of detail, but how far along has it come? I am waiting to play until a good chunk of it is in.

It's pretty playable, and the next update is looking hella good. I'd wait til the next update comes out and a few mods update and you should be good.

e: imo this is the best dorflike so far. lots of stuff we like from df

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

When is the next update?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

Well, it turns out deconstructing rooms causes them to collapse, no matter how small they are. I just lost two of my starting colonists.

Maybe I can salvage this.

edit:

A single raider came and shot him up a bunch. Then the walls shorted out and exploded, causing a huge fire that almost reached him. I don't think he'll live.

Create a no roof region before removing the walls next time!

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Create a no roof region before removing the walls next time!

:doh: I forgot that feature even existed.

Also, Crink just bled to death. The colony of Jamestown failed.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
What are some recommended mods to use with this game? I have Clutter, Enhanced Defense, and Project Armory right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

Diogines posted:

When is the next update?

not for awhile it seems, he dev posted this a few days ago

http://ludeon.com/blog/2014/11/long-development-time-on-alpha-8/

quote:

Hi all. This is just a quick update on what’s going on in development. As always, you can follow my day-to-day development progress on my changelog.

The time between Alpha 7 and Alpha 8 will be the longest yet. This is for a number of reasons.
Partly, it’s because a lot of things have slowed me down. Piotr ‘ison’ Walczak was helping out over summer, but he went back to school. Work on the Ludeon Launcher took a lot of time – more than expected. Ludeon’s tax year ended, which meant a huge pile of paperwork that doesn’t appear on the changelog. The game is bigger, which means that there is more maintenance and fixing work to do every alpha. And I moved houses, which took many hours.

Besides all that, though, I’ve decided to start targeting somewhat longer spans between releases. This is to improve long-term productivity.
Each release takes a ton of time in and of itself. I can’t just package up the game and release it. It has to go through a multi-week, multi-stage testing and bugfixing process. The private testers have to bang on it, then the public testers. I have to manage dozens of bug reports, close duplicates, invite new testers, test it myself, and of course fix piles and piles of bugs. As the game’s gotten more complex this whole process has gotten more involved. The first public releases wrapped up their testing cycles in about a week. Alpha 7 took about three weeks. There’s just more stuff to test now. I can still work on future content during a testing cycle, but it’s slower as every change and fix needs to be merged forward – sometimes dozens of times. Then, once it’s released, there is a barrage of support requests and often more bug reports and hotfixes to test and release and publicize.

I believe I can maximize long-term output by reducing the number of actual releases and being able to just work with the game in an unstable state for longer. Because that’s where the good super-productive period is: when I can simply pour in features without constantly worrying about every little bug that might be getting introduced. I want to expand that period of the release cycle proportional to the testing period, to maintain a good ratio.

The good news is that the next release will at least feature boreal forest and tundra biomes, a full temperature and season system with fire, heaters, air conditioners, warm/cool clothing, hypothermia and heat stroke, and oodles of other smaller content additions like herbal medicine, weaponsmithing, and properly reworked economy and stats systems.