Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I heard Slott call Ms Marvel the new Spider-Man which is quite true. The latest issue of Ms Marvel reminds me of some Spidey story where a robot goes after Peter at school because it was set to track Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It is really not hard to be the next spiderman.

Unless you are talking about sticking and becoming a cultural thing.

To which I say, good luck, but she isn't close to that yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The new Spider-man has happened multiple times, but they weren't superheroes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

I heard Slott call Ms Marvel the new Spider-Man which is quite true. The latest issue of Ms Marvel reminds me of some Spidey story where a robot goes after Peter at school because it was set to track Spider-Man.

It is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yM4ItdO9M

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh my God this is awesome. I started out with Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends so this is something new to me. I love how they apparently said Spider-Man couldn't hit anyone so he just ended up running away a lot and got tired. Also his spider-sense just kind of disappeared halfway through. Loved it.

People hating on Dan Slott, I completely understand as his current ASM stuff is loving awful and his attitude on Twitter is worse...but I have one question. How did you feel about the Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions game because Slott wrote that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh my God this is awesome. I started out with Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends so this is something new to me. I love how they apparently said Spider-Man couldn't hit anyone so he just ended up running away a lot and got tired. Also his spider-sense just kind of disappeared halfway through. Loved it.

People hating on Dan Slott, I completely understand as his current ASM stuff is loving awful and his attitude on Twitter is worse...but I have one question. How did you feel about the Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions game because Slott wrote that.

Spidey 2099 was written terribly. The banter is pretty excellent and the plot very simple and fun.
When Slott keeps stuff like that he's pretty good, but if he tries to get somewhat serious then we get garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was pretty jarring how he retconned out all those murders Spider-man Noir did.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I had no idea it existed.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I expect video game plot lines and writing to suck 99% of the time, so that was par for the course. The game was fun enough, and I literally cannot remember a second of its plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was pretty bad but it was a video game story that was a thin excuse to have four different playable spider-men fighting a bunch of villains.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still don't know why Ultimate Spider-Man was in the black costume when he wore it for literally a single night.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I still don't know why Ultimate Spider-Man was in the black costume when he wore it for literally a single night.

They probably couldn't figure out another gameplay gimmick to give him. Dude's not exactly starkly different from regular Spider-man. So they just went "eeehh people liked that Venom mode in Ultimate Spider-man: The Game".

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Say what you will about Slott and the Superior Spider-man event, at least we got this out of it:

:allears:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Lurdiak posted:

They probably couldn't figure out another gameplay gimmick to give him. Dude's not exactly starkly different from regular Spider-man. So they just went "eeehh people liked that Venom mode in Ultimate Spider-man: The Game".

Shame Miles wasn't introduced yet because then you could've had Invincible Spider-Man where you just turn invisible and venom sting everything to win after dodging a lot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It will still be written by Slott.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Like all the other tons and tons of Summer 2015 event things, it's probably an alternate universe.

Interesting that the daughter there has red hair though. That ain't Mayday.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
This universe will probably be the first to be blown up by Hickman in Secret Wars.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

It will still be written by Slott.

Well Slott can write Spider-Man well (see:Spider-Man & Human Torch, the arc of Avengers: The Initative where he showed up), he just chose not to for some reason (and also to kind of be a dick about it). If that Dan Slott's writing it, I'll at least give it a chance.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Like all the other tons and tons of Summer 2015 event things, it's probably an alternate universe.

Interesting that the daughter there has red hair though. That ain't Mayday.

Well first off, it's the first teaser that's not referring to a previous event, secondly Slott announced it on his twitter as something that seemed to be specifically concerning Spider-Man.

As for the red hair? I think the implication is it's the daughter they would have had if not for the pact with Mephisto that he chose to manifest as.

I know it probably won't end well...but I want to believe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nice mom pants, MJ.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
She felt it was important to fully embrace her new role in life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well Slott can write Spider-Man well (see:Spider-Man & Human Torch, the arc of Avengers: The Initative where he showed up), he just chose not to for some reason (and also to kind of be a dick about it). If that Dan Slott's writing it, I'll at least give it a chance.

Well first off, it's the first teaser that's not referring to a previous event, secondly Slott announced it on his twitter as something that seemed to be specifically concerning Spider-Man.

As for the red hair? I think the implication is it's the daughter they would have had if not for the pact with Mephisto that he chose to manifest as.

I know it probably won't end well...but I want to believe.

Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies wasn't a previous event either.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies wasn't a previous event either.

It is referencing previous events though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Senor Candle posted:

It is referencing previous events though.

Inhumans: Attilan Risin and (ultimate universe) The End
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56623

It has to be something about secret wars, no matter how hard you want to believe.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It has to be something about secret wars, no matter how hard you want to believe.

No poo poo it's something about Secret Wars. That doesn't make what I said not true.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That whole Spider-Family is gonna get so murdered by Morlun :unsmigghh:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well Slott can write Spider-Man well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

You can chalk those up to flukes or all the good spidey material he had in him at this point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To be fair, Attilan Rising might be referring to that Inhumans book that launched around the same time as Runaways, right? I mean, even with that, this Spider-Man thing is definitely a Secret Wars deal (though no reason they could spin that into a new status quo for the Spider-books).

radlum
May 13, 2013

TwoPair posted:

That whole Spider-Family is gonna get so murdered by Morlun :unsmigghh:

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. I'm really surprised we haven't seen an alternate universe where family man Peter Parker is brutally eaten by Morlun in front of his family...yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

radlum posted:

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. I'm really surprised we haven't seen an alternate universe where family man Peter Parker is brutally eaten by Morlun in front of his family...yet.

Didn't that happen in Spider-girl?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yep.

And the Spidey teaser is referencing one of Marvel's biggest events. Peter and MJ marrying in Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21 had a live event in Shea stadium and everything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SirDan3k posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

You can chalk those up to flukes or all the good spidey material he had in him at this point.

This really reminds me why I'm constantly hesitant to post in this thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

This really reminds me why I'm constantly hesitant to post in this thread.

Donald Southerland doesn't come up that much.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Saying Slott can write Spider-Man well actually seems worse to me than saying he can't. It means he could be writing something good, but has, for some reason, chosen to write absolute bullshit for several years instead. I think the flukes/he ran out of good stories thing is probably more accurate.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
ASM #9 was a pretty great issue, though given how dark the subject matter of this story arc is, I don't really understand why all the editorial/expository comments were written in such an obnoxious, sardonic tone. It's like they were going for a Kevin Smith thing or something, and I really don't see the point. Take your own loving material seriously, Slott.

616 Pete also suffered from Silent Hill Protagonist Syndrome the whole issue. The entirety of his dialogue in this issue could be summed up as "who? What? How? Huh? What the hell? Whoa. Huh?" It was really grating. The scenes with the Inheritors were probably the best part of the issue because they're the parts that have the least amount of explaining what everybody already knows.

And I, for one, am not really going to miss Spider-Bruce.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The Inheritors are so goddamn bad. Every last one of them.

On the flipside Spider-Verse Team-Up made me wish Stern would get another shot on Spider-Man.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That Spider-Man endless runner game's idea of a giant multiversal Sinister Infinity army should have been the villain for this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a crime Coipel is being wasted on Slott. His art is so goddamned good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's a crime Coipel is being wasted on Slott. His art is so goddamned good.

Slott's also writing an Allred drawn Silver Surfer, there's no justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Suben posted:

The Inheritors are so goddamn bad. Every last one of them.

On the flipside Spider-Verse Team-Up made me wish Stern would get another shot on Spider-Man.

Hey, they'll probably be swept under the rug by everybody who isn't Dan Slott.

• Locked thread